✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The AHFOD Leak Thread (LEAK CONFIRMED - NO PM REQUESTS OR LINKS!)

jc90

VLV is still the less-listened-to album by Coldplay for me. It's definitely not poppy, in the traditional sense. But other than 2 songs, Lost and Violet Hill- I just never took to the songs. That john lennon meets Radiohead song was pretty good (see? I don't know remember the name!) but, to me, it sounded like Coldplay just trying too hard to be a band they're just not.

But one thing I've realized from these forums, I'm completely in the minority on those feelings. But that's okay too. I think Ghost Stories is the album I've been wanting Coldplay to do since AROBTTH- but most people don't care for that album. Everyone is so different...and that's okay!

yeah, think it is safe to say that you are in the minority there :) i love viva! and the track that looks weaker to me is the one that was written first too, lost! so for me, viva was the highlight in coldplay's creative career.

i can see your point about ghost stories. it had so much potential, but executed so poorly. but i appreciate where it is coming from and what they attempted to do. my biggest complaint there is that it felt too restrained and held back in honest feeling for it to be a great breakup record. but we know chris as a lyricist was never the most straight forward, and his attempt at being one didn't come off well.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but we know chris as a lyricist was never the most straight forward, and his attempt at being one didn't come off well.

I disagree with this X 200000

Haha

Chris is so straight-forward- it's why he's a bad lyricist. A good lyricist, in the traditional sense, takes a simple idea or feeling, and expands it ...makes it complicated ..breaks the words down into complex, witty phrases, etc..

Chris is like "I never meant to cause you trouble.."

It's so devastating simple, you know he means it. And to me, that is as straight-forward as it gets.

I like Coldplay lyrics because of what they don't say..

I disagree with this X 200000

Haha

Chris is so straight-forward- it's why he's a bad lyricist. A good lyricist, in the traditional sense, takes a simple idea or feeling, and expands it ...makes it complicated ..breaks the words down into complex, witty phrases, etc..

Chris is like "I never meant to cause you trouble.."

It's so devastating simple, you know he means it. And to me, that is as straight-forward as it gets.

I like Coldplay lyrics because of what they don't say..

I see your point :) but in general, specially in the earlier songs, you can interpret most coldplay songs anyway you want. It is very vague in meaning. I'm talking about songs as a whole, not single lines. But specially on GS Chris seemed to try and be direct. Which came off uninspired for me. Midnight was the most inspired lyrical contribution there and while Chris has sung about birds for ever, O was a good song as well.

And I'm not doubting his sincerity one bit when he sings that line :)

^^ I think the difference there is that Chris is a good straight-forward lyricist when the lyrics he uses are still unique. That's the difference for me between why I like Parachutes and why I dislike GS. Parachutes has simple lyrics, but they aren't your typical cheesy, cliched lines seen in a lot of songs these days. Ghost Stories relies much too heavily on lyrics that, frankly, are very unoriginal. It drains what's left of the emotion from an album that was already in sore need of it to begin with (mostly because of the emptiness of the overall soundscape).

Now, had Chris nailed all of those songs with some Parachutes-esque lyrics, it would be a different story entirely. The instrumentation of GS, I think, is meant to feel stark and bleak and empty because that's how a breakup makes you feel. You don't feel like how the typical instrumentation of a Coldplay song would make you feel otherwise. That's where the lyrics are supposed to come in. In that bleak field of despair, the lyrics are meant to allow you to dissect exactly what it is that's making you feel this way. If done right, they're that final gut-punch. Unfortunately, the GS lyrics get sucked into that vacuum of nothingness also, and you're just left drifting.

I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, but those are just my thoughts, haha. Tl;dr is that I partially agree with you on the matter of lyrics :)

Of course, I'm a sucker for cryptic lyrics far more than I will ever be for straight-forward ones so take this with a grain of salt :P

Also I'm going to go cry over the massively missed opportunity that was Ghost Stories

Hmm . . . I work as a reporter. I wonder if I could pull off using my press pass to get an advance copy for an "exclusive review" of the album :rolleyes:

Is the publication you work for large and reputable enough to pull such a thing off? With all due respect, but I don't think they're going to hand out advance copy's to a reporter from a local newspaper with only a few thousend pieces in sales every day.

Is the publication you work for large and reputable enough to pull such a thing off? With all due respect, but I don't think they're going to hand out advance copy's to a reporter from a local newspaper with only a few thousend pieces in sales every day.

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/threads/105101-AHFOD-Leak-Hunting-Thread-(Status-No-Leak-Reported)?p=5769381&viewfull=1#post5769381

I agree not likely, but worth a try

AHFOD: Leak Hunting Thread (Status: No Leak Reported)

MX was the first leak I followed and that whole summer drove me crazy. From the ditched Eno sessions, to the scrapped acoustic album, to the discarded animated film, and finally the surprise drop of ETIAW... even then the torture persisted. I saw Chris perform POC on June 3rd 2011, and it wasn't played again live until just before the October release. UWTB was on the original set list for Glastonbury that summer, and was omitted entirely from live act. That year was a whirlwind on anticipation—A Head Full of Dreams just feels like a new pop record. Completely beautiful, and utterly predictable.

Yeah no, I was 100% kidding when I said I could do that. For one, we only have a few thousand subscribers. Also, we only report on things that directly have to do with my hometown :P

I feel weird as a fan, since I loved Ghost Stories. I agree the lyrics could be better in spots, but it's a very intimate/emotional album with a lot atmosphere. I also love how dialed back it is in the production. Some say it's hollow or too sparse, but I love how minimalistic it is, and think it fits perfectly with the mood of the album. At least to me, it was their most focused effort since Viva La Vida. It felt a cohesive album, and it was an experience.

MX on the other hand, I had mixed feelings on. The album is incoherent in terms of its overall structure/pacing flow, and feels rough in comparison to GS and VLV. Thing is, as stand alone songs, there is some great material. I like the stadium anthems, the stripped down acoustic songs. But the way the songs mesh and how the album jumps back and forth, it just feels messy. MX was one of the first albums I had trouble listening to front to back, because

It feels a bit too bloated and inconsistent.

I've come to really enjoy MX material as time has gone by. But I still feel as a whole, the album is kind of a mess. Lastly, I felt X&Y felt a little safe, and while it's a more consistent album in terms of having a cohesive sound front to back, I feel like the album drags a bit in places because of how safe some of the songs are. Although X&Y is also another album I've come to really appreciate as time has gone by. And like MX, I feel it has some really great tracks and I enjoy material as standalone.

I've been listening to Coldplay since their first record, so I get why some haven't been fans of how their sound has changed. But at least IMO, I put A Rush of Blood..., Viva La Vida, Parachutes, and Ghost Stories in the same group, in terms of being albums I think are really great. But I feel like MX and X&Y both are a bit hit and miss as actual albums, but both have great material on them. I have a sneaking suspicion that A Head Full of Dreams will be like MX and Ghost Stories combined. It will have the more bright/vibrant sound of MX (without the acoustic stuff), but will be more minimal and a more concise album like GS is in terms of length and pacing. I expect we will get new sounds on this album, of course. Just saying, I see elements of both those two albums.

Whether this album falls into the hit and miss category remains to be seen. I really loved Amazing Day, and was okay with Adventure of A Lifetime. I could see it go either way.

But basically, I kind of see where some fans are coming from. I don't love everything they have done. But I actually liked Viva and Ghost Stories a lot.

Don't we all? But it's not realistic to expect a leak so early. With high profile releases they tend to ship the CD's to the stores as close to the release date as possible. So anywhere from monday until thursday would be a realistic timeframe.

No leak, but now we have a new song to add to the list.

Now we've heard

Amazing Day

Adventure of a Lifetime

A Head Full of Dreams

Up&Up

Everglow

And snippets of the other ones

And perhaps somewhere out there, Colour Spectrum, because the snippet sounds like the atmospherics that played before the TIDAL show.

I just found a proper version of Everglow on a P2P site. Is this song already official available somewhere?

? So no intro overlap and no 'world record'?

edit: checking it out now.

edit: holy fuck, tis real.