✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-02-07] Coldplay headlining Super Bowl 2016 - Confirmed

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much negativity, it's really sad.

Well Im dying to see what show they put up!! As Im sure are many people! But you know the rule....people who are satisfied or positive are least likely to complain (and this goes for the media, twitter, the whole lot...), so Im sure there are many people who look forward to this :)

I am looking forward to how many ppl will become Coldplay fans after watching the half time show. They are going to surprise so many ppl who never listened or liked them before.

Actually I was wondering about this too...this will be massive platform for them! Im curious to see the reaction afterwards.

that's what happens when you deal with a world that doesn't appreciate you fully. They tried to be universal but they failed when they embraced their pop direction, because they became something that it's not cool enough to be mainstream and not enough sophisticated to be alternative.

They will be ever remembered for the complete sellout after MX and AHFOD and for their lack of coolness

that's what happens when you deal with a world that doesn't appreciate you fully. They tried to be universal but they failed when they embraced their pop direction, because they became something that it's not cool enough to be mainstream and not enough sophisticated to be alternative.

They will be ever remembered for the complete sellout after MX and AHFOD and for their lack of coolness

No, they stopped trying to be universal and please everyone and decided to accept that they have never been and never will be cool and just go for it...I for one am happy they did.

You forget that they were never as uncool as when they were called the "bedwetters", so no matter what they did or which direction they were always uncool to "some" people. Im glad they stopped caring and just make music they want to make...for the rest of us.

• Like 3

Ok this quote from that article is truly ridiculous....

"But while Coldplay’s music alone would certainly be enough for the Super Bowl halftime show or a playlist labeled “Feels"

Oh I see....if Coldplay are "Feels" what in God´s name is Adele then? LOL But wait she is holier than thou...so no comment about her monolithic music.

No, they stopped trying to be universal and please everyone and decided to accept that they have never been and never will be cool and just go for it...I for one am happy they did.

You forget that they were never as uncool as when they were called the "bedwetters", so no matter what they did or which direction they were always uncool to "some" people. Im glad they stopped caring and just make music they want to make...for the rest of us.

I respectfully disagree on this one. A lot of people liked them in their earlier days but it wasn't the type of crowd that listens to their music today. Generally speaking, the majority of people who listens only to mainstream music always considered them lame, but there was a certain target (alternative music listeners and critics) who adored their Parachutes-AROBTTH period. Now that they really make lame music they gave haters good material for backslashing

imo, in the grand scale of things. coldplay have never been cool and whatever opinions people might have towards the latter output definitely won't overshadow the earlier work to define coldplay long term. coldplay were a rather uncool band and always will be. in the landscape of rock n roll, even alternative, they are outliers, misfits in the vein of abba (edit: not saying abba is rock :) ).

speaking of long term, does anyone think coldplay will ever be inducted to rock and roll hall of fame? maybe i should start a separate thread about this.

• Like 2

A lot of people liked them in their earlier days but it wasn't the type of crowd that listens to their music today. Generally speaking, the majority of people who listens only to mainstream music always considered them lame, but there was a certain target (alternative music listeners and critics) who adored their Parachutes-AROBTTH period. Now that they really make lame music they gave haters good material for backslashing

You kinda forget the other side of this coin....there are a lot of people who began liking Coldplay from Viva through Paradise. There are also people who liked them before and still like them now. Bottom line: there were always people who liked them and people who didn't and its the same today. I guess Coldplay wanted to please all and finally realised they couldn't....

• Like 2

imo, in the grand scale of things. coldplay have never been cool

I totally agree and they probably never will. My theory is that its their earnestness...they are so earnest in a way which is rarely seen in our world nowadays. So people often react to earnestness with thinking "they are so nice, it must be fake it must be contrived and cheesy". Its the sad truth of how we live that a true honest public display of positive emotions without cynicism is a rare sight, so rare that when we see it, we dont know what to make of it.

• Like 3

Coldplay were already labeled as 'uncool' back before this oldplay/newplay business; back when I was first a fan back in LP2, so don't even play that card....

But my gripe isn't so much with the ppl who hate them. That's their lost, not mine. My issue is when ppl attack the ppl in the band 'cause I really do think they are one of the nicest ppl in music and they don't deserve to get shat on just 'cause you don't like their music.

• Like 3

No NOT that kind of memorable.

I mean like good memorable like putting an old song in the set list:D

But as a fanbase, we gotta be realistic. They aren't playing this song for existing fans. They're playing it to gain new fans. As an existing fan, i'm okay with the realities of it, but I hope the rest of us are too when they don't play Warning Sign for Hymn for the Weekend.

• Like 1