✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The Ultimate Coldplaying Thread===S, BS, BR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM, MX, GS, AHFOD===

EasySuperstition99

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I don't want to start a fight here, but Newplayers don't go around saying Older Coldplay albums suck. Saying something you like is bad is more hurtful? (can't think of a a better word lol) than saying something you hate is good.

Not saying that Oldplayers shouldn't apress their opinion, just that there's a difference.

• Like 1

Gawd, I'm so tired of this apparent Oldplay vs. Newplay, pop is evil, everything used to be better going round in circles, dragging on and on in so many threads, never coming to a resolution, because in the end it just comes down to mostly different tastes (and that's completely okay). We had topics like these during every era, beating the poor horse, but this time the horse seems especially dead to me.

Sucks the joy from me, when the daily news out there in the world already do this enough for my taste, and there's a tour to enjoy at the moment.

Sorry. Rant over. Horse still dead. :D

I love Coldplay. Old, new, inbetween. If that makes me a stupid fangirl, then that's what I love to be. :D

• Like 6

Gawd, I'm so tired of this apparent Oldplay vs. Newplay, pop is evil, everything used to be better going round in circles, dragging on and on in so many threads, never coming to a resolution, because in the end it just comes down to mostly different tastes (and that's completely okay). We had topics like these during every era, beating the poor horse, but this time the horse seems especially dead to me.

Sucks the joy from me, when the daily news out there in the world already do this enough for my taste, and there's a tour to enjoy at the moment.

Sorry. Rant over. Horse still dead. :D

I love Coldplay. Old, new, inbetween. If that makes me a stupid fangirl, then that's what I love to be. :D

And that is exactly the point of this thread. Didn't mean to cause an argument.

• Like 1

I can only wonder why.

Youre making a joke, but the point is that the oldplay crowd have been seen as more of a problem, especially compared to newplay. The survey we had months ago confirms this. It IS a problem. The fighting IS a problem. Again, bottom line is newplay don't go around restarting this battle time and time again. No, we're not asking you to not give an opinion. But there are ways to go about it without making Nazi references, or saying newplay has inferior/underdeveloped tastes for example.

At the same time, I look at newplay and do see what oldplay have reported. That any negative thought about Coldplay is met with instant backlash. This I also disagree with 'cause clearly the band (nor anyone) is perfect. I'm very much for constructive criticism, so long as its based on well argued and thought out posts (which generally, they are).

TBH, the whole idea of drawing a line down a forum and saying 'keep to your side' (as you've now done with the oldplay and newplay threads) is childish. This should not be the way to keep ppl civil and friendly on this forum (plus it isn't working anyways as you can see). Being civil and friendly should not be a rule on the forum, it should be common sense. Both sides have smart ppl, so its just so frustrating and confusing to the rest of us how this could drag on for so long. Just stop being pricks to each other (BOTH SIDES) and listen to whatever the heck you wanna listen to. Simple.

• Like 4

Youre making a joke, but the point is that the oldplay crowd have been seen as more of a problem, especially compared to newplay. The survey we had months ago confirms this. It IS a problem. The fighting IS a problem. Again, bottom line is newplay don't go around restarting this battle time and time again. No, we're not asking you to not give an opinion. But there are ways to go about it without making Nazi references, or saying newplay has inferior/underdeveloped tastes for example.

At the same time, I look at newplay and do see what oldplay have reported. That any negative thought about Coldplay is met with instant backlash. This I also disagree with 'cause clearly the band (nor anyone) is perfect. I'm very much for constructive criticism, so long as its based on well argued and thought out posts (which generally, they are).

TBH, the whole idea of drawing a line down a forum and saying 'keep to your side' (as you've now done with the oldplay and newplay threads) is childish. This should not be the way to keep ppl civil and friendly on this forum (plus it isn't working anyways as you can see). Being civil and friendly should not be a rule on the forum, it should be common sense. Both sides have smart ppl, so its just so frustrating and confusing to the rest of us how this could drag on for so long. Just stop being pricks to each other (BOTH SIDES) and listen to whatever the heck you wanna listen to. Simple.

The oldplay thread by far is the most quality thread on the forum. There's a very good reason it's gone over 100 pages and averages most posts per week than other "similar" threads, even if it's the few same people participating. It's also a blessing on the entire forum it exists because for the most part it keeps "inflammatory" posts contained.

• Like 2

As I said, it's going on and on and on and on... ;)

My thread is better than yours, my Coldplay are better than yours, my Jonny Buckland snuggle blanket I got on eBay in 2003 is better than the kiss Guy blew you during the MX tour... (Wait, I think nobody has claimed that yet. :D)

In the end it's just a band and just music. Something that should enrich our lives. Nothing worth getting into fights with each other. :)

• Like 4

The oldplay thread by far is the most quality thread on the forum. There's a very good reason it's gone over 100 pages and averages most posts per week than other "similar" threads, even if it's the few same people participating. It's also a blessing on the entire forum it exists because for the most part it keeps "inflammatory" posts contained.

Definitely not, and I enjoy it sometimes.

But there are ways to go about it without making Nazi references, or saying newplay has inferior/underdeveloped tastes for example.

At the same time, I look at newplay and do see what oldplay have reported. That any negative thought about Coldplay is met with instant backlash.

This is exactly the problem, both positions are the antithesis of each other (much like the difference in Coldplay's music) that makes them virtually irreconcilable.

It's my general experience the Oldplaying thread tends to be where the majority of in depth, interesting and mature discussion happens. As mentioned above, theres a reason why it's probably the most popular thread on the forum at the moment. Generally, I find the posters in there to be both older in age and older fans of the band.

Whereas, on the other hand, I find our 'Newplayer' friends to be that bit younger (the majority teenagers? :huh2:) and this is where this blind loyalty stems from. Remember, the Oldplaying thread was started with a genuine purpose whereas these other threads were set up in a way as to mock and be reactionary. They're absolutely pointless and childish which only proves the hypothesis in my opinion, they created the divide, not us. I know it's a generalisation and obviously doesn't apply to all fans who enjoy the newer material but I think it does apply to those who like to ad-hominem anyone who dare suggest 10 years ago Coldplay were a vastly superior band.

For the most part I'll just stick to discussing Oldplay in the Oldplaying thread, that pretty much works for me and others and has stiffled virtually all debate compared to the zoo the forum was in the summer before AHFOD came out. The status quo works ;)

EDIT: I also don't recall anyone on either side making Nazi references, even when the debate was most heated. I think that's a bit of hyperbole on your part.

• Like 2

It'll take a lot of digging for me to find that post again, but please believe me when I say it WAS said. You don't forget a thing like that.

Either way, I do at times feel for oldplayers. They may have the perception of being the villian, but it takes two sides to fight.

Here is the comment in question. And it happens to be in the oldplaying thread as well

Jees, the newplay gestapo are out in force today. They must be feeling extra festive!

http://coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-oldplaying-thread-s-bs-tbr-p-arobtth-x-y-vlv-pm.104785/page-58#post-5785245

I will say that I do recall the thread owner (I Ran Away) did denounce the comment soon afterwards, since it was in her thread (though it wasn't her fault). So props to her for that. But it DID happen and we all regret it did. At the same time, I know if I tried I could probably find the same instance on newplayer's side. But again, I go back to both sides needing to readjust their posting habits. Both sides are finger pointing, but obviously no one is owning up to it. This will all be fixed only if both sides compromise.

• Like 1

At the same time, I know if I tried I could probably find the same instance on newplayer's side.

Yes, as a matter of fact I can recall at least one incident where a Nazi comparison was made by a Newplayer (I believe it was in the LP7 thread, but I'm not gonna dig for it now).

I think the situation is already much calmer compared to the time when AHFOD came out. I think we all need to remind ourselves that the target of discussions should be music itself or the band itself or the band's behaviour etc. and NOT "the Oldplayers/the Newplayers", i.e., it is important not to target discussions at persons (ad hominem, as said above) but at the subject itself.

This is exactly the problem, both positions are the antithesis of each other (much like the difference in Coldplay's music) that makes them virtually irreconcilable.

It's my general experience the Oldplaying thread tends to be where the majority of in depth, interesting and mature discussion happens. As mentioned above, theres a reason why it's probably the most popular thread on the forum at the moment. Generally, I find the posters in there to be both older in age and older fans of the band.

Whereas, on the other hand, I find our 'Newplayer' friends to be that bit younger (the majority teenagers? :huh2:) and this is where this blind loyalty stems from. Remember, the Oldplaying thread was started with a genuine purpose whereas these other threads were set up in a way as to mock and be reactionary. They're absolutely pointless and childish which only proves the hypothesis in my opinion, they created the divide, not us. I know it's a generalisation and obviously doesn't apply to all fans who enjoy the newer material but I think it does apply to those who like to ad-hominem anyone who dare suggest 10 years ago Coldplay were a vastly superior band.

For the most part I'll just stick to discussing Oldplay in the Oldplaying thread, that pretty much works for me and others and has stiffled virtually all debate compared to the zoo the forum was in the summer before AHFOD came out. The status quo works ;)

EDIT: I also don't recall anyone on either side making Nazi references, even when the debate was most heated. I think that's a bit of hyperbole on your part.

NO this is not made to mock. You obviously didn't read what I said.

NO this is not made to mock. You obviously didn't read what I said.

That's certainly how it would appear to me. If not mocking a definite reaction, a "look at how great fans we are, we love everything! not like those guys" type thing. I don't know how you could even deny this with your passive-aggressive titling of this thread. Silly and childish. The undertones of mockery are defintely there, especially in the 'Ultimate Newplay' variant of these threads.

That's certainly how it would appear to me. If not mocking a definite reaction, a "look at how great fans we are, we love everything! not like those guys" type thing. I don't know how you could even deny this with your passive-aggressive titling of this thread. Silly and childish. The undertones of mockery are defintely there, especially in the 'Ultimate Newplay' variant of these threads.

Well, the ultimate Newplaying thread copied my first post word by word and modified the key words, a clear sign of mockery/parody. This thread copied the title. I am not complaining (they say copying is the highest form of flattery ;)), I am just reminding people that this is true.

Sorry if you guys feel that way, I really didn't mean it to be offensive and I certainly understand how this thread's title could imply the mockery you are talking about. But it wasn't meant to be like that (atleast the Neutralplaying thread, which was merged with this one). I didn't make it for mockery or belittling the Oldplaying community. The title is obviously a parody of the Oldplaying forum, but the thread's purpose wasn't to make fun of you. I thought the title was a pretty friendly little joke, but apparently it isn't. Sorry.

• Like 1