✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The Ultimate Coldplaying Thread===S, BS, BR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM, MX, GS, AHFOD===

EasySuperstition99

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:| there is no way i could ever pick one thing so here's a list:

i love how sci-fi spacey the album is :glasses2:

i love that there is a (vague) story that the whole album revolves around. it's sad that we never got to see that story as a film, but at least we have the comics - although i've only ever read the first issue[emoji14]i loved that the boys continued to wear costumes relating to the album theme as they did with VLV (and i suppose you could say they technically did it with X&Y as well but certainly not in the same way). i've always appreciated Chris's comment about the costumes being like a kind of uniform for them.

i loved that we got to hear some of the songs in concert (read:festivals) before their studio versions were released

i love the pop-up book/studio diary

i love that i got to see them from the first row at my MX concert (even if i almost hit Jonny in the head with one of those balloons :uhoh:)

i love the Buckin Love during IMP

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the live version of GPASUYF. that song will probably always be my favorite live CP song, but the MX version is the absolute best out of all the variations they've done so far

and mostly i just love how much the album speaks to me and my own personal style, in both the music, the visuals, and the overall emotion (optimism? :nod:)

what is yours, @alisbe ? :wacko:

Can I just repeat everything you said?!

And may I add that my favorite song, MX/Hurts Like Heaven comes from this era!

I love the paint and lights and all the artwork....everything in this era makes me so happy!

• Like 2

@coldplayisawesome just like you there are so many things.

I love the comics. I have the 6 issues and even though I don't like comics I loved looking at the pages and paying attention to every detail.

I also love the live version of GPASUYF in this era and it's the best.

I love the graffiti theme. They made look graffiti be a piece of art. And it's a colorful era. I love the previous eras but there's something about it that make me feel so much better and happier.

I love the songs. Each one has a special meaning for me. I started listening to Coldplay during this era and the songs kept my mood in such a great way in a very important stage of my life.

I love this is the era where everything changed for me. I've been a fan for almost 5 years. I can’t imagine my life without them.

I love Xylobands where brought to life and this was the perfect addition to the live shows.

And I love the Paradise video. It’s among my favorite ones. They look so ridiculous on it but I love the story they wanted to tell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest diogo_sg
Today is the first anniversary of AOAL!!! It brought back so many great memories. I think this was the first time I woke up at 2am to hear a livestream and feeling so fresh in the morning because the song was stuck on my head :)

Same here! Only I woke up at 6... The memories... [emoji7]

I know I'm really late but I'll explain why I like MX anyway.

1. It was the first Coldplay CD I owned. I still have it lol

2. It was the first era I experienced as a Coldplayer, even if it was late in 2013

3. The art is really symbolic to me of music itself. Music in general is just a bunch of paint streaks of different colors, styles, and patterns. Somehow at the end of the day, it all seems to come together to form one beautiful canvas.

4. Hurts Like Heaven has some of the best guitar action ever performed by Jonny.

5. The live versions of GPASUYF and Yellow are lit.

6. Up With Birds is such a beautiful song.

Sent from my VS986 using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 4

Today is the first anniversary of AOAL!!! It brought back so many great memories. I think this was the first time I woke up at 2am to hear a livestream and feeling so fresh in the morning because the song was stuck on my head :)

Ah yes ! I remember sitting in my room in the US listening to BBC radio waiting for the live drop. (I also remember how disappointed i was) But yes, the memories ! :)

• Like 2

Ah yes ! I remember sitting in my room in the US listening to BBC radio waiting for the live drop. (I also remember how disappointed i was) But yes, the memories ! :)

I wasn't disappointed, I love it instantly! the song that disappointed me was Hymn for the Weekend. It has grown on me but there is still something that I don't like about it.

• Like 1

I found the chopped up background vocals and the disco beat and the use of standards trick of the trade (like the beat drop) and the Wohooos in the end all a bit unoriginal, sounding like many other songs nowadays sound. My original reaction last year I posted here: http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-oldplaying-thread-s-bs-tbr-p-arobtth-x-y-vlv-pm.104785/page-16#post-5755762 :D

In my opinion Jonny's riff is good, but it could have been used in a better song, you know what I mean ?

One thing I can say now more strongly than last year: I think the AHFOD album artwork is amazing ! So that's one upside for me.

• Like 2

I found the chopped up background vocals and the disco beat and the use of standards trick of the trade (like the beat drop) and the Wohooos in the end all a bit unoriginal, sounding like many other songs nowadays sound. My original reaction last year I posted here: http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-oldplaying-thread-s-bs-tbr-p-arobtth-x-y-vlv-pm.104785/page-16#post-5755762 :D

In my opinion Jonny's riff is good, but it could have been used in a better song, you know what I mean ?

One thing I can say now more strongly than last year: I think the AHFOD album artwork is amazing ! So that's one upside for me.

i've never been a fan of the chopped vocals, in AOAL or Army of One. i think it bothers me that it's not clear words being said in those parts. and Chris's voice is always weird when it's pitched up :P

but the disco beat was i think what made me love AOAL and somehow i had never even noticed the beat drop until Chris started making a deal out of it in concerts :wtf: but usually i have to listen to songs like a hundred times before i can pick up on more than the vocals because that's what my ear sticks to first

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lol well hopefully that new song played at soundcheck doesn't disappoint you. :D

\

I can definitely see the resemblance to mainstream music in AOAL. For me personally though I don't really care if the song has beat drops or chopped vocals and the woohoos or whatever else kinda tricks are used to get mainstream popularity, if it sounds nice I'll like it. I'll openly admit though that there is much more artistic, original, and insightful stuff out there. I like an extremely wide variety of music, from "I Bloom Blaum" to Surrender Clubland mix Al storm, to Closer by Chainsmokers and Where I End and You Begin by Radiohead. And really rocky music, really just you name it. And even though AOAL is probably not one of my favs from album I still really like it I guess.

Slowly but surely.. the album growing on you. I really like the artwork from this era too. :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[MEDIA=instagram]BNj4V51h6No[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BNj4V51h6No/

This kinda isn't true, actually. Yes, some of the "Oldplay" fans are very closed minded and only like a few genres, but that's their opinion. But most I see on here actually opt for Coldplay to go in a completely new direction, an unpredicable experimental direction they were hinting at with Viva. They realize that them doing the same thing over and over again would cause them to fade very quickly and become rather boring. Some people want shoegaze next, some people ambient, some want that kind of rock-electronic mashup like they've been doing for a while, but in a more experimental way as per Radiohead's Hail To The Thief. There are many more examples of directions Coldplay could take next that would artistically bump them up quite a few notches from where they are now. I'd personally be interested to see Coldplay go in any of these directions or even attempt to really cross and bend genres to the greatest of their ability now. Then again, they could go even worse and dive into true boringness and unoriginality as I would hear it...

• 2 months later...

I like this random fact from the official charts UK. Coldplay managed to get a song in the top 10 the only one apart from Ed. I love the fact that the band do not care about who is releasing music, they just want to share what they've done. Ed waited for the right moment to be the center of attention while Coldplay released AHFOD two weeks after 25 did. And this time they prevent ed to take over the top 10.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I honestly think we've gotten to a point now where it's The Saviors vs Alexandria/Hilltop/The Kingdom (any of ye TWD fans out there will know what I mean) here on Coldplaying. I mean, people who have only just discovered the band thanks to AHFOD (or had after it came out) would go back and look at their old stuff (which is great), but considering the first exposure to them was that album, THAT is how they will remember Coldplay's sound as. Catchy and somewhat funky in places, but also very bland, basic, safe. Safer than MX. Safer than GS. Just plain safe. But during Kaleidoscope, the band themselves shuffled out of that safety zone a bit to create AICTAIY, A L I E N S and Hypnotised. Hell, small fractions (like the guitar solo on Up&Up) were fantastic on AHFOD, if it wasn't for the ANNOYING AS FUCK overproduction coming in to dim the spotlight on it. But that's the band. Us, as a fanbase on the other hand? Plenty of us are still in that 'safety zone' and as I said, will remember Coldplay as a pop band, or a rock band with a pop sound. That's not OUR Coldplay.

The reason why I'm using TWD as a comparison? Well, it's kind of obvious. At the time of the AHFOD release, LOADS of people began to leave these forums. They HATED the way the band sounded. But when some people jumped ship, many came aboard. But these 'many' were somewhat MESMERISED by the album. They praised nearly all the songs and jumped all over Chris, basically. Nothing wrong with that, but that seems to have been the trend ever since. Hell, Oldplayers and Newplayers had a forum war for a while.

Now, I'm not saying one group of people are better than the other. I enjoy being in both of those groups. As far as everything goes, it's not how new or how old things are that matter. The thing that REALLY matters is if the music is good. And I like a handful of Newplay songs, and lots of Oldplay songs. But really, they're all Coldplay songs. All of them.

Ever since AHFOD, we've been split into two sides. Before, it was pretty much all civil. Now, it's much different. And let's face it, some of us have gotten way too angry or annoyingly overpraising at times, either ripping the band apart for not being who they used to be or drooling all over anything they put out. I mean, just look at the song for Mexico. You either hated it, or you loved it. There was only a ridiculously small fraction who were indifferent to either side. Yes, I may have been slightly towards not really liking it, but I gave it a CHANCE. Some people just don't give things a chance anymore. But it can also be the other way round, as in, some people don't give songs a CHANCE to resonate with them and just eat them up anyways for no other reason than OMG THATS AMAZING CHRIS!

I just hope eventually, Coldplay drops a song like A L I E N S again , but not on an EP. On an album, as a single. That way, any angry fans would rejoice and any overpraising fans would have a reason to do praise the song.

But for now, I guess, it's Oldplayers, Newplayers, and yes, a small fraction of us called Coldplayers.

lol, thanks for the TWD reference.

yeah, I dont think its reasonable to have even the hardcore fans be fans of absolutely everything. I also don't think loving absolutely everything makes you a bigger fan than someone who doesnt. I feel we're sometimes guilty of a pissing contest to try and prove what big fans we are. To me, it makes it look more like those people try a bit too hard.

We all have to realize (myself included), its okay not to like things, and its okay our tastes are different.

I totally agree with giving things a chance. I also like your example with the Mexico song. I'm not saying my way is the best way, but I personally didn't like the song, but I didn't go around lamenting and longing for the Rush of Blood days (even though I do); it's such a tired rant that im so sick of at this point. I realize that just because i don't like something, doesnt mean others can't enjoy it.

I'm most of all disappointed that we have lost respect for one another over something as stupid as music taste. It's driven the traffic on the site way down, and its negatively impacting the community. As an >10 year member of the forum, the difference is clear and disappointing.

• Like 2

I actually really like the differences between the albums. It gives you the oppurtunity to always listen to Coldplay, no matter what you're doing or how you are feeling. If I'm working outside or I need motivation I listen to the later albums and during early mornings in the train or when I need to calm down my head, I listen to the earlier albums. They wrote so many different songs, there is always one that fits what you're going through at that moment.

When I read other people's opinions, I sometimes also think I'm sort of 'lucky' that I literally don't know anything about music. Honestly, sometimes I like a certain tune and I don't even know if it's the piano or the guitar :rolleyes: That means I can't really analyze the music, I can only close my eyes and feel it.

• Like 1

^exactly, if you like it, listen to it. If you don't like it, by all means, continue to dislike it, and go ahead and voice an opinion. I only feel that sometimes that gets taken too far, and it makes people almost ashamed to say, 'no wait, I still like this'; especially when newer fans get told their taste is inferior or undeveloped....

• Like 1

When I read other people's opinions, I sometimes also think I'm sort of 'lucky' that I literally don't know anything about music. Honestly, sometimes I like a certain tune and I don't even know if it's the piano or the guitar :rolleyes: That means I can't really analyze the music, I can only close my eyes and feel it.

This exactly. Even though I'm in the camp with mixed feelings about how they've changed the last three albums, I'm glad that my feelings are based on my wild emotions and that I don't feel the need (or have the capacity) to analyze things technically. Sure there might be a time I don't (or do) like a particular effect or treatment of a song, but it's just ... I like how that feels in my ears or I don't. And I agree it's nice to have something for different moods. I enjoyed a lot of sunny days last summer with the windows down listening to AHFOD songs. Sometimes Hymn just hit the spot.

I only feel that sometimes that gets taken too far, and it makes people almost ashamed to say, 'no wait, I still like this'; especially when newer fans get told their taste is inferior or undeveloped....

I always find this troubling and also a little ironic. Because I remember during X&Y or Viva times listening to other music fans (and occasionally critics) crap all over Coldplay and how boorish and vanilla anyone who listened to them was. I hated that and thought it completely missed the point of music, and it made me feel like I had to apologize for something that meant the world to me. I can remember when people asked me what music I liked and I'd answer with "don't judge me but...". So I'm not really going to feel right turning around and doing that to others, over the same band, just because they're moved by different things than me. I mean, yeah, sometimes just sharing an opinion about a song or album might inadvertently make someone feel bad but that's different from bashing something, directly talking down to people or making generalizations about what sort of people like this or that. But unfortunately I think there's always going to be some of that, in any group of fans of anything ... people's egos get really wrapped up in things and for some people that's how they validate themselves.

• Like 2