✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

Same here. You can't really add anything to the original Miracles, so my bet is that it's going to be either:

1) A reworked version--more synthy or more guitar-driven or acoustic or something, idk. Something different enough to justify releasing it again after, what, 2 years? 3 years?

2) A "part 2" that counters the original song. Either a continuation of the story or an opposition to it in some way. Maybe the title "Miracles" will be more ironic this time around? Kinda like some people thought Paradise was actually going to be really dark and ominous before MX released?

I actually enjoy the original Miracles, so I don't know how to feel about this :p

I personnaly see two possibilities for this track :

1. It could be an acoustic version of Miracles

2. It could be the same song with reworked lyrics and/or instrumental. They already did that in the past : we had How You See the World and How You See the World n°2, two versions of Don't Panic, two versions of Talk...

• Like 1

I personnaly see two possibilities for this track :

1. It could be an acoustic version of Miracles

2. It could be the same song with reworked lyrics and/or instrumental. They already did that in the past : we had How You See the World and How You See the World n°2, two versions of Don't Panic, two versions of Talk...

But I dont see the band digging up Miracles at this stage just to do an acoustic version.

@The folks who are disappointed in 'only 5 songs', what did you expect? 10 songs? really?

• Like 2

and what was the complaint with PM EP? oh, we've already heard LiJ and Lost, and postcards is instrumental and short, so its not really a lot of songs.

and you literally took the longest EP they've put out and expected them to do it again when they've hit the 2-5 songs per EP range almost every other time.

just sayin' you gotta be a bit more realistic, and more importantly, you gotta be more 'glass half full' if you get what i mean.

• Like 4

but that's what's so interesting about this to me:

HYSTW is listed as "no. 2" not just "2"

both versions of Don't Panic are listed as just "Don't Panic"

for Talk, there are alternate versions but only one was released, so i don't think those can quite count for this

then as was mentioned before, Life in Technicolor ii is "ii" not "2"

O has two versions also, but the second one is listed as "reprise"

so the way they've named songs like this in the past differs each time, but then the way the song versions differ from each other is also different each time, sometimes being a rework, sometimes being an extension of a song...

• Like 2

any word on what the official artwork will look like?

I bet the letters spelling 'Kaleidoscope' will not be perfectly straight.

Prospekts had 8..

Like I mentioned earlier, Prospekt's March really only had 4 new songs. Kaleidoscope also has 4 new songs, so it is pretty much even.

^ Maybe they specifically wanted to avoid drawing (as many) comparisons between LiT + LiT ii and Miracles + Miracles 2. If they use a ii after a title, it means an extension, but if they use a 2 it means something else?

I guess this is the most reasonable description for M 2 I've reading yet.

My thoughts on the tracklisting:

1. All I Can Think About Is You - Very weak title for Coldplay standards. Sounds like it will be a big summer pop hit. Which, there's nothing wrong with that for me - I'll probably like it. But I do hope Coldplay don't make more songs with titles like this... I will keep my expectations lower for this one. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be the most generic boring thing Coldplay have done since ever.

2. Something Just Like This - hmm... I don't know. My best guess for this song would be an EDM style song with The Chainsmokers. All joking aside, it is pretty disappointing that this song will be on here. We already know what it sounds like, and The Chainsmokers are also gonna have it on their album. Oh well.

3. Miracles 2 - Interesting title. I've heard that this might simply be a rework of the original or even a completely new song that Chris couldn't find a new title for (which I personally don't believe considering he and the band made the artistic masterpiece that is Hypnotised... they should be able to come up with original titles, shouldn't they?). It's probably a rework of the original or something like that, just like LiT ii was with the album version. Maybe more dreamy production, in their style instead of Stargates? One of my hopes for this song is that it will please the people who liked the original but disliked the production. This one is a true mystery... we'll have to wait and see. (It doesn't bug me that it's 2 and not ii, I think it represents a progression for Coldplay in that sense...

4. A L I E N S - I can't believe a song with as interesting and mysterious a title as this is on the same EP as a song with one of the most generic pop titles in history. I'm really hoping that this is that dark and mysterious song we've all been waiting for in this era. It'll be interesting to see, if that is the case, how they'll incorporate it into this otherwise really bright and positive era. Hoping for a masterpiece here, and something that will more than satisify the wants of the people that really do need a darker song from Coldplay for this era.

5. Hypnotised - Read my review here. Wonderful title as well!

But I dont see the band digging up Miracles at this stage just to do an acoustic version.

@The folks who are disappointed in 'only 5 songs', what did you expect? 10 songs? really?

That @The is actually a user lol

I can't shake off the feeling that All I Can Think About Is You is gonna be a heavy EDM/dance song...what do you think ?

Don't like the title, by the way - seems a bit plain and straightforward. Titles with more mystery are better imho :)

It does definitely sound like the title of an electropop style song. Keeping expectations lower for this one.

But I really enjoy EDM so I hope it's that and not the softer electropop which IMO is much worse (and hip hop even worse than that...)

I still dont know why I was hoping something good since the EP announcement. Coldplay will never recover from this naive pop music.

And i'm sick with Chris' voice...

Btw 1:25 - 1:40 part sounds exactly the same as Atlas. They're not even creative.

Something Just Like This being part of the EP is even worse as its the worst song I've listened to from them.

Coldplay kept disappoiting me for the last ten years but I was still excited and hopeful after the EP announcement. Now I think I'm just done.

Troll much?

This is by no means "naive pop music", it's hardly pop in the first place, well it is but it's a very unique presentation of it, certainly in no way generic or bland as is typical pop today. Just because a tiny section of the song is distantly reminiscent of another song they've done does not make the entire product unoriginal (wait, what? Exactly the same? Smh...)

I don't like the decision to put on SJLT either, because we've already heard it, but I do like it... (I can respect your opinion on this one though)

As for Hypnotised, this is a perfect example of hating for the sake of hating - I bet you didn't even listened to it and blasted it just because it was new. I don't have respect for that kind of opinion.

Wait, only now you're done? This is the first time I've seen you on the forums!

I bet the letters spelling 'Kaleidoscope' will not be perfectly straight.

Like I mentioned earlier, Prospekt's March really only had 4 new songs. Kaleidoscope also has 4 new songs, so it is pretty much even.

True, and to be fair SJLT is relatively new. But I guess by the time the EP is released it really won't be...

Kinda disappointed that we have to wait exactly 3 months though. Chris just had to spill the beans early...

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj.thumb.JPG.87cd9b0a87342213e67fd0ccc54cd2bd.JPG

• Like 2

My thoughts on the tracklisting:

1. All I Can Think About Is You - Very weak title for Coldplay standards. Sounds like it will be a big summer pop hit. Which, there's nothing wrong with that for me - I'll probably like it. But I do hope Coldplay don't make more songs with titles like this... I will keep my expectations lower for this one. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be the most generic boring thing Coldplay have done since ever.

It does definitely sound like the title of an electropop style song. Keeping expectations lower for this one.

But I really enjoy EDM so I hope it's that and not the softer electropop which IMO is much worse (and hip hop even worse than that...)

i just want to say that while it is a pretty plain title, people had similar reservations with Don't Let It Break Your Heart when we first heard that title, but i for one think that song is incredible (and has fantastic lyrics too)

so keep your expectations low if you please, that's up to you. but maybe it will turn out much better than you'd expect :D (especially you in particular @cp3176 since i know you also appreciate MX, this comparison is perhaps more relevant to you than others)

• Like 3

I was dreading today. I had presentations and a boring class with an upcoming test. Then just as I sat down to mentally prepare for the slog that is cell biology, I check my snapchat and I see Coldplay's snapchat with a Hypnotised graphic and I was like "NEWS?!" and rush over here and everyone is talking about the EP and I was so excited. Then I check the actual website and there it was! Hypnotised!!!!

It feels so good to be able to replay a new Coldplay song and actually like it (I really wasn't feeling SJLT and the last time I replayed was most of the songs in AHFOD). I listened to it and the throwback Jonny and Will out of nowhere and Guy being handsome as always and the beautiful strings and beautiful lyric video and Pink Floyd (though I might argue this might've been the Hunting High and Low by A-ha inspiration that Chris was talking about) and I just can't type atm because it is so good lol!!

I especially love the replay-ability of this song. I feel like this song was structured this way to make it re-playable friendly

However, after eargasms I re-read the announcement and was bummed that we wouldn't be getting alternate versions of A Head Full of Dreams or Army of One or an extended Kaleidoscope track.

Yeah I agree that SJLT should have been a stand alone thing (though I think with it becoming a hit made the lads rethink about allowing it on the EP to boost sales).

Come on guys, the lads have never let us down with the intro tracks so I'm looking forward to All I Can Think About is You. I'm also interested in A L I E N S. There was speculation that this might be an extra from the MX era or that it's an acronym for a very meaningful song (Though 1975's second album title might beat this one xP) . I'm hoping that it's not another UFO or interlude track. I want it to be an odd indie track song like Birds or the rocking Major Minus. Fingers crossed! June can't come fast enough!

*edit: A word

• Like 1

i just want to say that while it is a pretty plain title, people had similar reservations with Don't Let It Break Your Heart when we first heard that title, but i for one think that song is incredible (and has fantastic lyrics too)

so keep your expectations low if you please, that's up to you. but maybe it will turn out much better than you'd expect :D (especially you in particular @cp3176 since i know you also appreciate MX, this comparison is perhaps more relevant to you than others)

Hmm. I never thought of that. Don't Let It Break Your Heart is a very generic title, but that song is incredible and the title lyric doesn't seem awkward at all in the song itself.

• Like 1

I'll paraphrase what I always say when ppl start over analyzing titles: if 'Politik' or 'Fix You' or 'A Sky Full of Stars' was actually called 'My Brown Pants', would you really enjoy it any more or less? All I care about is how the song sounds, not necessarily what the damn title is.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

• Like 4

I just found a video on Coldplaying's twitter from August 2016 of someone that recorded the band at the Rose Bowl playing 'Hypnotised' during soundcheck...

[MEDIA=twitter]767151103704195072[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaying/status/767151103704195072

Theres another video of the band playing another song. I'm wondering if this song will probably be on the new EP... it could either be 'All I Can Think About Is You', 'Miracles 2', or 'A L I E N S'...

[MEDIA=twitter]767161418214961152[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaying/status/767161418214961152

• Like 9

I just found a video on Coldplaying's twitter from August 2016 of someone that recorded the band at the Rose Bowl playing 'Hypnotised' during soundcheck...

[MEDIA=twitter]767151103704195072[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaying/status/767151103704195072

Theres another video of the band playing another song. I'm wondering if this song will probably be on the new EP... it could either be 'All I Can Think About Is You', 'Miracles 2', or 'A L I E N S'...

i think i remember these coming up in the waaaay early pages of this thread, but it's cool to hear them again now that we have Hypnotised :D

• Like 2

I'm getting a vibe of All I Want Is You by U2. Like theres some chord progression thats the same? Anyone else? Cause if this is the case I'm all in!