✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Daddy - Sunrise

Coeurli

^ Totally agree! Chris mentioned voice memos being on the album and so far people who've heard the album don't talk about this one. So my guess is its one of the band members' kids? Or maybe its like a kid Chris recorded somewhere in the world talking about missing their daddy?

I feel like this could either be cute like "i miss you daddy" or it could be extremely dark, like "I lost my daddy" which would be a gut punch of a thing to put on an album...

• Like 3

^ Totally agree! Chris mentioned voice memos being on the album and so far people who've heard the album don't talk about this one. So my guess is its one of the band members' kids? Or maybe its like a kid Chris recorded somewhere in the world talking about missing their daddy?

I feel like this could either be cute like "i miss you daddy" or it could be extremely dark, like "I lost my daddy" which would be a gut punch of a thing to put on an album...

I'm absolutely convinced it'll be super dark and super sad and definitely some form of interlude with voice memos indeed. Coldplay have like zero chill anymore with this album, I mean now that we have Orphans, with such striking lyrics already, I could see them go for something as hard-hitting as this.

It could definitely about children losing their fathers, or fathers losing their children as well, it could very well be about fatherhood in general and not just from a child's point of view.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Both are dark, but one's obviously worse than the other.

Or, since we know this isn't an interlude (or will be very long), and clocks in at 4:58, perhaps it could tell a story, going from "I miss you daddy" to finding out. Heck, maybe even throw in the fun times at the beginning.

• Like 1

YES YES YES!!! Video coming out on Nov 22nd! Shortly after release date! Phil has this to say!

Phil Harvey: “Daddy isn’t a single in the traditional sense but we always wanted to make a video for it as the song feels like a story within itself. Asa and her team have done an incredible job in bringing the story to life.”

Upset it won’t be a single though....Promo I suppose?

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

Gotta say after multiple listens, I’m bored with this track.

The cheesy lyrics gets really evident after awhile. Sorry but Chris really slacked on this one with the words. Lol.

The lyrics are extremely simple, but I think in this case it fits the subject matter since it is from the perspective of a child. And even very simple lyrics can shine if they are sung in a believable and emotional way, which is the case here.

• Like 3

The lyrics are extremely simple, but I think in this case it fits the subject matter since it is from the perspective of a child. And even very simple lyrics can shine if they are sung in a believable and emotional way, which is the case here.

Oh for sure. I don’t expect masterful lyrics all the time and I get it’s from the perspective of a child so the lyrics reflect that.

But I HATE songs where you use the same words to rhyme with each other - day, say, play, away, birthday, ok. Omg.

Haha.

Oh for sure. I don’t expect masterful lyrics all the time and I get it’s from the perspective of a child so the lyrics reflect that.

But I HATE songs where you use the same words to rhyme with each other - day, say, play, away, birthday, ok. Omg.

Haha.

Guess you're no fan of Swallowed in the Sea and Proof then :joy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I agree with the cheesy lyrics, but for once I dont mind. They are so well delivered by Chris, it's just simple and beautiful. Great to see such a track, maybe be the best ballad in a long time from my perspective.

• Like 2

I agree with the cheesy lyrics, but for once I dont mind. They are so well delivered by Chris, it's just simple and beautiful. Great to see such a track, maybe be the best ballad in a long time from my perspective.

Oh the ballads on this album (including this one) is far superior than the ones on AHFOD and MX (except UATW).