✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Setlist opinions

11 hours ago, WhiteShadow7 said:

I suggest make a choice between Paradise and Charlie Brown. Personally I like Charlie Brown much more than Paradise. It's a kind of like xyloband anthem. 

Please, eliminate SJLT or make it a cool (acoustic) Coldplay cover. The rest of 'the Lightclub' can also fall then.

Bring Coloratura back. 

And my biggest request: play songs spontaneously (rather totally messing it up than not trying) from the audience signs. 

❤️

I also associate 'Charlie Brown' song with the MX era. That works for me.

SJLT appeals to the loose audience attendees that only know a few of Coldplay's song library. I wouldn't remove it. I'm mixed if it were to be more stripped down.. maybe do the opposite and lean into the dance techno element. Make it a mini rave-experience lol.

"Bring Coloratura back."

Yes, yes with a large helping of yes!

"And my biggest request: play songs spontaneously (rather totally messing it up than not trying) from the audience signs. "

I think it can work if you play your cards right, the fan who held, The Gravity song request sign was genius because they knew Coldplay played it the night before during practice.

I'm hoping they might consider playing The Goldrush song because I've been on various online platforms trying to let them know it would please me. It might not work but I'd rather try over just wishing for things to magically occur.

I do agree without some planning the songs on signs might not play as well if it's songs the band is heavily unprepared for; valid point.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2022 at 1:40 PM, Famous_Old_Painter said:

Just saw the setlist from Dallas. Pretty predictable and boring imo. I hope they will mix it up some more later on and throw in some songs they haven't played for a while. 

Boring??? They have a big catalog now and certain songs are always going to be in that line up.  The majority of fans that go a CP concert are not die hard fans that know every song.  I was on the floor last night in Houston and turned to people around me asking them what their favorite songs were.  The answers were Yellow, Fix You, The Scientist and Viva La Vida.  They are never going to do a concert that doesn't have 1/3 to 1/2 of the song that they always play.  45,000 people don't want to see a show and have them play songs that they don't really know.  They played Sparks last night which was great to hear and as a die hard I would love to hear lesser known songs like Daylight; but they will be few and far between.  Daylight would be amazing.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, gpttigers said:

Boring??? They have a big catalog now and certain songs are always going to be in that line up.  The majority of fans that go a CP concert are not die hard fans that know every song.  I was on the floor last night in Houston and turned to people around me asking them what their favorite songs were.  The answers were Yellow, Fix You, The Scientist and Viva La Vida.  They are never going to do a concert that doesn't have 1/3 to 1/2 of the song that they always play.  45,000 people don't want to see a show and have them play songs that they don't really know.  They played Sparks last night which was great to hear and as a die hard I would love to hear lesser known songs like Daylight; but they will be few and far between.  Daylight would be amazing.   

Boring setlist in my opinion, not a boring show or boring songs. They have a lot of songs to chose from, a lot of singles even. Of course they have songs that they have to play, Fix You, Viva La Vida, Yellow etc. But there are probably people out there, fans or not, wanting to hear Speed of Sound, Talk or Lost. Do you get me? 

This setlist is like 99% predictable, even the "less known" Sparks is a bit predictable.

• Like 5

I appreciate what you are saying as a die hard fan.  I think Viva La Vida is their best song but it isn't my favorite because I have heard it so many times.  If they were to play a smaller venue, then I think you would get to hear some of the lesser heard songs.  Yes the setlist is probably about 85% predictable.  I was very surprised to hear so many new songs off of Music of the Sphere's at the concert.  For the Head Full of Dreams Tour, I don't think they played as many new songs as I heard in the Music of the Spheres Tour.  I personally could have done without Human Heart and Let Somebody Go and heard some other lesser known songs from the catalog.  

But they aren't playing Speed of Sound.  Chris has been on record that he doesn't care to perform that one as he doesn't think they got it right.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gpttigers said:

I appreciate what you are saying as a die hard fan.  I think Viva La Vida is their best song but it isn't my favorite because I have heard it so many times.  If they were to play a smaller venue, then I think you would get to hear some of the lesser heard songs.  Yes the setlist is probably about 85% predictable.  I was very surprised to hear so many new songs off of Music of the Sphere's at the concert.  For the Head Full of Dreams Tour, I don't think they played as many new songs as I heard in the Music of the Spheres Tour.  I personally could have done without Human Heart and Let Somebody Go and heard some other lesser known songs from the catalog.  

But they aren't playing Speed of Sound.  Chris has been on record that he doesn't care to perform that one as he doesn't think they got it right.  

I understand you. They could change some songs from show to show and it would be great, like:

Charlie Brown/Paradise/Every Teardrop

In my Place/God Put A Smile/Talk

And maybe Sparks/Green Eyes/Talk/LiT Ii/Lovers in Japan

You get me 😊

Speed of Sound is great and a hit 😃

Don't Let It Break Your Heart and Square One is pehaps too much to ask for, but they would fit perfectly IMO.

Edited by Famous_Old_Painter
  • Like 3

I think the global popularity of a song depends mostly on how many radio channels stream the song and how often they do, thus becoming mainstream music. Also services as Spotify contributing to the popularity by placing songs in their standard playlists. Sparks is the 5th most popular song of Coldplay on Spotify at the moment. I'm not sure of this but could it be that this song became well-known and 'Spotify popular' since the band played it in their Everyday Life gigs? If so, it's a matter of fact that Coldplay is able to drag their own 'forgotten' songs into the Spotify playlists. It wouldn't work for every song of course, but I'm sure there is much more to discover for the greater audience than the already mainstream music. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

The concert tonight in Phoenix Arizona USA was overall good with the best live rendition of ASFOS that I’ve been present for so far. However, the band absolutely ruined the end of the show by recording the entire Biutyful song live only a few songs before the end of the show, and then repeating the entire song as the grand finale. In my opinion, this is not their best song and was already an unusual choice for a finale (repeated as the finale on all but one stop of the MOTS World Tour so far), but to repeat the entire song and expect to send people away happy was kind of shocking and disappointing. Hundreds or thousands of people left immediately upon the beginning of the song the second time. The band got a very lukewarm send off from the crowd, and I think Chris Martin at least may have noticed from his facial expression that something wasn’t right. I don’t know what else to say other than they should have known better after so many years of performing. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, coldplayingphxaz said:

The concert tonight in Phoenix Arizona USA was overall good with the best live rendition of ASFOS that I’ve been present for so far. However, the band absolutely ruined the end of the show by recording the entire Biutyful song live only a few songs before the end of the show, and then repeating the entire song as the grand finale. In my opinion, this is not their best song and was already an unusual choice for a finale (repeated as the finale on all but one stop of the MOTS World Tour so far), but to repeat the entire song and expect to send people away happy was kind of shocking and disappointing. Hundreds or thousands of people left immediately upon the beginning of the song the second time. The band got a very lukewarm send off from the crowd, and I think Chris Martin at least may have noticed from his facial expression that something wasn’t right. I don’t know what else to say other than they should have known better after so many years of performing. 

Yeah why play it as the finale song when the audience already heard it earlier? They should have finished with Humankind or some other song.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 3:53 AM, WhiteShadow7 said:

I think the global popularity of a song depends mostly on how many radio channels stream the song and how often they do, thus becoming mainstream music. Also services as Spotify contributing to the popularity by placing songs in their standard playlists. Sparks is the 5th most popular song of Coldplay on Spotify at the moment. I'm not sure of this but could it be that this song became well-known and 'Spotify popular' since the band played it in their Everyday Life gigs? If so, it's a matter of fact that Coldplay is able to drag their own 'forgotten' songs into the Spotify playlists. It wouldn't work for every song of course, but I'm sure there is much more to discover for the greater audience than the already mainstream music. 

Late response but the actual reason Sparks is so popular on Spotify now is because it went viral on Tik Tok earlier this year.

• Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 12:26 AM, Famous_Old_Painter said:

Just saw on Instagram that they soundchecked Politik and.....LOOOST in Philly....how exciting is that?! 😃

And politik is back in the set lists! 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
I don't know if it's the right place for my post, or if I should create new topic for this !
I came to the 17th show in Paris, and I confirm I was pretty bored during the second part of the show, especially with clocks, something just like this, midnight, and my universe.
Higher power is not as good as hurts like heaven, life in technicolor or AHFOD as intro, I think that it take too much time to launch it.
Biutyful is a poor song to end, OMG !😞 
And I'm a little bored by paradise and Yellow, too much heard...
I still enjoyed the show since I was in the first row (just in front of the entrance) so I could get Chris energy, but the scene were to high and too behind, so I was not able to see will at all, and chris when he was on the piano...

Best moment for me was, let somebody go (i'm not a fan of the song but it was very nice), people of the pride, sparks, magic, the scientist (a classic, but very good vocal performance), human kind, fix you and... POLITIK !! I was very pleased by its vocal performance during Politik, it remind me VIVA LA VIDA area.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 7:19 PM, zone51 said:

Hello,
I don't know if it's the right place for my post, or if I should create new topic for this !
I came to the 17th show in Paris, and I confirm I was pretty bored during the second part of the show, especially with clocks, something just like this, midnight, and my universe.
Higher power is not as good as hurts like heaven, life in technicolor or AHFOD as intro, I think that it take too much time to launch it.
Biutyful is a poor song to end, OMG !😞 
And I'm a little bored by paradise and Yellow, too much heard...
I still enjoyed the show since I was in the first row (just in front of the entrance) so I could get Chris energy, but the scene were to high and too behind, so I was not able to see will at all, and chris when he was on the piano...

Best moment for me was, let somebody go (i'm not a fan of the song but it was very nice), people of the pride, sparks, magic, the scientist (a classic, but very good vocal performance), human kind, fix you and... POLITIK !! I was very pleased by its vocal performance during Politik, it remind me VIVA LA VIDA area.

I was on 20th July Paris show and I agree in most of the things you say...

- Politik + In My Place were for me the best part of all the concert, it was a dream come true to hear those on live... amazing performance of the guys, perfect vocals... it was AMAZING. Forever grateful for having lived that moment

- I admit I didn't like most of the stuff from the new album... the alien costumes, the Midnight remix, Human Heart sung with a puppet (wtf?)... It's hard to explain, but it feels like it doesn't fit for the magic we should have in a Coldplay concert.

- Higher Power is a good song to begin with, but obviously AHFOD and Hurts Like Heaven were so much better.

- Byutiful is a terrible song to end the concert... it doesn't have enough strength, it doesn't touch my heart. With so many wonderful songs they have, why use that? I'll never understand it...

- I really enjoyed all the hits, even that ones I usually don't like so much like Paradise, Hymn or The Scientist... I wouldn't remove them from the setlist. But yeah, it would be nice if they changed the list of songs more often (for example, in Paris they played the same songs during the 4 shows without making any change at all).

Anyway, I really enjoyed the show and I was very happy to be there. Despite all the things I've said before, they always make an incredible show and it totally worths it. It's always a pleasure to see them live 💙

• Like 4

I was at the 17th and 19th July Paris concerts and as a fan I think this show is currently almost perfect, but I think for a casual stadium concert visitor, this is the best all-inclusive stadium show in the world right now. Massive and intimate, acoustic and heavy.

Just for the background: At first MOTS as album wasn't that great for me, but has definitely grown on me and I think the variety of songs for live performances from this album is great.

Some keypoints I would bring out:

About opener and ending song, I somehow tend to think very opposite to earlier opinions. 

Higher Power is a great opener in my opinion, it's the most crowd interactive opener they have had. The openers before have sounded a bit distant to crowd, but Higher Power lyrically and musically builds the best connection with audience. At least close to stage, where I stood, the singing along was almost deafening me. Only downside is that this opener works 10x better in darkness. In daylight I would say AHFOD and Higher Power are quite equal from my experience.

Biutyful as ending song definitely seemed odd choice at first, but I kind of got that. Now, that I have got used to this song more and saw it live, I think it is actually fantastic at the end. Although I'm not thinking it's a masterpiece song, when looking at the flow of this setlist, it fits there perfectly. It finishes concert with a small sweet song and somehow manages to give concert an open ending, not a massive "making you small in this world" closed ending and not making you confused and think about complex things. There are a lot of massive and big moments in this concert already and the ending is just about getting back down to earth. Also accompanied with outro tune A Wave "one day we'll see each other again" the whole ending gives a "looking forward to next day" feeling.

Intro and outro are both well planned and they have certainly found the right tunes as well. They arrive and leave very humanly on B stage, with a sincere connection.

Some highlights for me:

Higher Power confetti trigger move by Chris is as cool as AHFOD confetti jump

Viva la Vida on B stage and VLV chant during all the other moments when possible, including metro stations in center of Paris 😄

Let Somebody Go live on piano is actually great (wasn't convinced before seeing it).

People of the Pride is awesomely designed stadium rocker.

Clocks. They somehow made this classic song fresh for me and the green wristband light pattern was very trippy and amazing. Somehow this is always the first thing which always comes to my mind, when I think back to concert.

A Sky Full of Stars. Probably the most fun and connected feeling you could ever have on a stadium.

Humankind. With live shows it seems to have become an instant classic like Charlie Brown. Perfect fireworks song.

Conclusive thoughts:

Although it is a massive show, I think it's very unique that band doesn't make it feel at all like they are superstars who came to perform a show, it felt 100% like they came to see and hear each individual of the crowd as much as crowd came to hear and see them.

Also I think that standing in front of A stage is not the very best spot, as it classically tends to be at concerts. Although it was good to see them play very close during one night at A stage, I had the best experience near the B stage the other night, because I felt more surrounded by crowd and had a better overview of everything and connected to all parts of the show. But I think at Coldplay shows there is no really bad spot, even at the very back it is amazing as I heard.

I hope we have another chapter to MOTS shows with a possible vol 2, because as a fan I see some opportunity for small improvements in some points in setlist and maybe some new songs could provide some additional magic.

• Like 6

It seems that some hardcore fans have a difficulty with appreciating what we have received.

"This was a mistake", "that shouldn't have been included", "wtf"

The show on the 8th July was my third Coldplay's concert. I honestly did not expect that it would be better than the one of the Mylo Xyloto Tour

So many negative opinions about "Biutyful"... At the show it turned out to be a perfect ending song. And speaking about "puppet"? If you are following Coldplay you should know about The Weirdos and the message behind. 

And why do you need to know the setlist before the show you will be going to? For a few months I was avoiding watching any clips, pictures, including those uploaded by the band on their social media. And I am glad I did so as it was honestly an extraordinary evening during which I was laughing out of pure happiness.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So i made trip to London to see them in the iconic Wembley Stadium. Based of what i have read here before, i did not have big expectations. Higher Power is good opener, but from personal experenience i found AHFOD much stronger. The first half of the show is as spectacular as it possibly could be, altough i hate fact that Viva La Vida is fully lip-synced from Chris. Let Somebody Go was performed with H.E.R., which was very nice. Then Politik kicks in and you could just get the taste of what attending a Coldplay concert in 2000s was like. I really like this tour version of Clocks with beautiful xylobands, that was super cool. But just after it the puppets thing starts and most of the great energy is lost. For a few moments, i kinda felt almost bored with what was happening on stage. Sparks is great on C-stage, but i feel like they could change it from time to time with Green Eyes and Dont Panic. Humankind+Fix You is such a strong combo to end concert with, but then unfortunately Biutyful comes in. I really dont mind that song, but to make it a CLOSER? This is the biggest setlist option mistake they have ever made. Song is just not strong enough like previous closers, Up&Up was fantastic from last tour which i have seen live. 

To sum up, i really enjoyed concert as a whole, Wembley Stadium is epic with all those people around. The lights, xylobands and everything from technical perspective is almost perfect. Only problem is that Music Of The Spheres is a very bland album, so including most songs from it in a show kinda downgrades overall feeling. This tour now just feels like a weaker version of AHFOD tour. Anyway, i cant wait what is next in store for us fans from Chris and co. I hope that next album is already at least half-finished and we will hear something new in the autumn. 

• Like 2

The setlists these days are to appeal to the touristy fans, not the die hards and I think this really started on the AHFOD tour.  They've plonked Politik and Sparks in to appease us, but look around you next time they play Politik live - no bugger knows it unless you're on the barrier.

That previous tour was a momentus step up in terms of the production, and opening with AHFOD and closing with Up&Up is 1000% stronger than opening with HP and closing with Biyutiful, it doesn't compare for me, espescially the latter because the song is crap anyway.  The album is weak overall with some half decent songs, and to be honest I'd rather they didn't play LSG, Human Heart, Biyutiful at all, if not just to fit in the absolute masterpiece that is Coloratura.  They're appealing to the masses, but thankfully its still a fucking incredible show.

Also, they need to bring back the Tiesto Paradise remix.  Now THAT was fun.

Edited by benny0353

• 11 months later...

Am I getting it right? ETIAW is not on the setlist every night? That´s surprising for me, but I prefer to miss one of the favourites rather than having a static setlist.

it appears only very occasionally this tour. But who needs the full song when you already have I TURN THE MUSIC UP I TURN THE MUSIC UP I TURN THE MUSIC UP

Edited by The Jordanator