🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

🌙 Coldplay: Moon Music 🎵 | Out October 4th | Discussion

Doomotron

In my experience, judging a Coldplay song on the first few listens is very difficult. Many people here highly criticised all the previous first singles. I remember the reactions to Violet Hill and ETIAW. I was even doubtful about Magic at first! But with time, and especially in the context of the whole album, the song can gain more followers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, the_escapist said:

In my experience, judging a Coldplay song on the first few listens is very difficult. Many people here highly criticised all the previous first singles. I remember the reactions to Violet Hill and ETIAW. I was even doubtful about Magic at first! But with time, and especially in the context of the whole album, the song can gain more followers.

That´s true, and I hated for a couple of weeks ETIAW because I found it too commercial (well, it really was, but it has become a joy anthem for me along the years). But you can find it hard to get the new style of a song, or the group´s different direction, but that´s not what I´m saying here. Magic, Violet Hill or ETIAW were challenging, were something different. 

• Like 2

Well, for me it's one of my favourites. Coming from someone who has AROBTTH as their favourite album. I think it's a very good opener to the album (excluding the title track), it sets a nice, laid-back vibe and tells you what the album will be about.

• Like 3

Well it’s not their best lead single but I love how the song goes from MOTS style to something more VIVA-esque, even with hints of X&Y in the final minute. It’s a really ‘feel good’ track which is classic Coldplay.

Shiver - 8/10

In My Place - 8.5/10

Speed of Sound - 10/10

Violet Hill - 10/10

ETIAW - 10/10

Magic - 9.5/10

AOAL - 10/10

Orphans/Arabesque - 10/10

Higher Power - 10/10

FLIFIL - 8/10

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah I was in the group that hated ETIAW when it first dropped but loves it now. The thing about that song and Magic especially is they needed to heard in context of the album in order to make sense. We now know Magic as a sad heartbreak song but you couldn’t really understand that without the rest of Ghost Stories to hammer the feeling home. Without that context it just sounded like a confused pop song. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Jordanator said:

Well it’s not their best lead single but I love how the song goes from MOTS style to something more VIVA-esque, even with hints of X&Y in the final minute. It’s a really ‘feel good’ track which is classic Coldplay.

Shiver - 8/10

In My Place - 8.5/10

Speed of Sound - 10/10

Violet Hill - 10/10

ETIAW - 10/10

Magic - 9.5/10

AOAL - 10/10

Orphans/Arabesque - 10/10

Higher Power - 10/10

FLIFIL - 8/10

Checking your list, there´s no way FLIFIL is nearly close at all to any of the previous first singles. No way.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I know it's very premature/early on but I'm wondering where MM will slot into my rankings. I'm sure everyone's different but I don't tend to shuffle Coldplay songs, rather I usually listen to whole albums in a sitting. There are three tiers for me

1. EL / 2. VlVoDaAHF / 3. ARoBttH

4. P / 5. MX / 6. X&Y

7. GS / 8. AHFoD / 9. MotS

I've been listening to EL on repeat hoping for the best. I'm just grateful we got an album like that so "late" into their career. Also, it only takes one or two songs to change your perspective on an album. You take out Princess of China and put Moving to Mars on MX and it becomes tier 1. 

Regardless of what happens, the guys are a wholesome group and it warms my heart when Chris kisses the ground and reaches for the sky before the concerts these days. Whether or not I like the music, I want them to be happy. 

• Love 1

On 6/21/2024 at 1:55 PM, HowCouldIForget said:

I know it's very premature/early on but I'm wondering where MM will slot into my rankings. I'm sure everyone's different but I don't tend to shuffle Coldplay songs, rather I usually listen to whole albums in a sitting. There are three tiers for me

4. P / 5. MX / 6. X&Y

I've been listening to EL on repeat hoping for the best. I'm just grateful we got an album like that so "late" into their career. Also, it only takes one or two songs to change your perspective on an album. You take out Princess of China and put Moving to Mars on MX and it becomes tier 1. 

Regardless of what happens, the guys are a wholesome group and it warms my heart when Chris kisses the ground and reaches for the sky before the concerts these days. Whether or not I like the music, I want them to be happy. 

One of the biggest mistakes of their career was to not tour and expand on the sound and experimentation of Everyday Life. I was completely done with the band before that album but they pulled me back because of how brilliant it was. While it was too late, it would still have changed the trajectory of their career if they hadn’t done MX 3.0 and 4.0 etc (AHFOD was 2.0!) with MOTS and now Moon Music. 

All of this obsession of course began back in the day after the commercial success of VLV, and that album will forever be both a curse and a blessing. But this is another topic better discussed within the Oldplayer circles😄

Edited by nvdmm
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, nvdmm said:

One of the biggest mistakes of their career was to not tour and expand on the sound and experimentation of Everyday Life. I was completely done with the band before that album but they pulled me back because of how brilliant it was. While it was too late, it would still have changed the trajectory of their career if they hadn’t done MX 3.0 and 4.0 etc (AHFOD was 2.0!) with MOTS and now Moon Music. 

All of this obsession of course began back in the day after the commercial success of VLV, and that album will forever be both a curse and a blessing. But this is another topic better discussed within the Oldplayer circles😄

Covid would've killed an EL tour before it began. But the view that EL is unmarketable, and albums like MOTS are somehow required for touring, is completely baffling. Who put that idea into their heads? 

The album could've been even bigger if they'd included songs like Weirdo, Olive Tree, Wedding Bells, Broken, Brother Lorenzo etc... Why do they do this to themselves? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Famous Old Painter said:

Covid would've killed an EL tour before it began. But the view that EL is unmarketable, and albums like MOTS are somehow required for touring, is completely baffling. Who put that idea into their heads? 

The album could've been even bigger if they'd included songs like Weirdo, Olive Tree, Wedding Bells, Broken, Brother Lorenzo etc... Why do they do this to themselves? 

They have poor judgments of their own work, they shy away from being authentic they barely mention EL as if it didn't happen the same way they do with the first 4 albums except for the big hits.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Similar to what the_escapist is saying, most of the first singles have been heavily criticised on the forum when they were initially released.  They always seem to grow on the fanbase, especially when listened to in the context of the album.  Seen that with Violet Hill, ETIAW, Magic etc.  Even Viva la Vida was under significant fire when released as a pre-order bonus ahead of the album being published (basically because people were wondering where Jonny went in that song! 🤣    especially after him being more prominent on X&Y)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Benjod25 said:

Chris Martin said he put everything including his soul in this album so to see negativity breaks my heart a little bit 

Well artists say that alot when they made something new to pump up the sales

I always take those quotes with a big grain of salt

• Like 2

Okay, so I'm really enjoying this song so far. I don't think I will ever consider it as one of my favourite Coldplay songs tbh, but... considering what we've been getting these last few years (apart from Coloratura and EL album and a couple other exceptions), I think it's a really good direction the band is taking. I think it's their way to say "hey we're back, we're more chilled now, let's not force this", so I really hope Moon Music will feel like that as a whole. Of course it will have it's cheesy pop moments, it's Coldplay after all, but as long as it doesn't feel forced and aimed at a very specific group of fans or shamelessly trying to gain followers from other genres with pointless collabs, I'm good with that. 

So, in conclusion, I feel very positive from what we've been hearing so far. Let's hope it keeps going that way!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Green said:

Well artists say that alot when they made something new to pump up the sales

I always take those quotes with a big grain of salt

No Chris means it this time and it will break his heart if noone likes it this time 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Benjod25 said:

No Chris means it this time and it will break his heart if noone likes it this time 

Are you telling me he put his heart and soul in those lyrics ? It seems he wrote them in 5 minutes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Galal said:

Are you telling me he put his heart and soul in those lyrics ? It seems he wrote them in 5 minutes

They worked on the song for 2 years mate 

7 hours ago, HowCouldIForget said:

4. P / 5. MX / 6. X&Y

I also listen to whole albums in a sitting! Very nice to see I am not the only one.

Also I see coldplay albums in four tiers

1. Viva La Vida/2. X&Y/3. Parachutes

4.A Rush of Blood to the Head/5. Ghost Stories/6.Everyday life

7.Mylo Xyloto/8. A Head full of dreams

9. Music of the Spheres

Frankly, I love all of these albums (except for MOTS which I only sorta-like) I am expecting moon music to either be directly below mylo or directly above mylo. 

Edited by WaddleBurr
read more t=of the person's statement and wanted to comment on it.
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

4 hours ago, Benjod25 said:

Chris Martin said he put everything including his soul in this album so to see negativity breaks my heart a little bit 

I feel like that is true for every album he does. But I hope he never goes to coldplay fan forums as I think it would break his heart.

16 minutes ago, johnnymax8652 said:

new update about neon forest on x...

rainbow track confirmed?

Screenshot_20240621-222129.jpg

I don't get it

Is the rainbow emoji track 3 songs in one track ?

Neon forest 

Angel song 

M U S I C ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, juanif94 said:

Okay, so I'm really enjoying this song so far. I don't think I will ever consider it as one of my favourite Coldplay songs tbh, but... considering what we've been getting these last few years (apart from Coloratura and EL album and a couple other exceptions), I think it's a really good direction the band is taking. I think it's their way to say "hey we're back, we're more chilled now, let's not force this", so I really hope Moon Music will feel like that as a whole. Of course it will have it's cheesy pop moments, it's Coldplay after all, but as long as it doesn't feel forced and aimed at a very specific group of fans or shamelessly trying to gain followers from other genres with pointless collabs, I'm good with that. 

So, in conclusion, I feel very positive from what we've been hearing so far. Let's hope it keeps going that way!

This exactly this. I dont know how people are not seeing this, like this is an awsome thing to happen with this band, they could from now on go to a different path, a more rich one, and less generic one. It doenst matter if this song didnt have a lot of guitars, it doesnt matter if this song is not like..a 42 type of song or something like mindblowing, but it does matter that a Coldplay single, in the middle of a pop era doesnt sound really generic or like forcing a genre like ahfod did a lot, we are looking to Coldplay trying to be themselves even in a commercial phase, so this count, cos even if we get pop, we might get a more artsy and interesting pop for the first time, this could means Coldplay are letting go, or at least not being too much attached to charts and trending anymore. Fuck this a great clue and sign, so this counts so much for me is already a win, even if we have like one song more chart friendly, probably good feelings, is ok, even tho I think even good feelings will have something to offer.

Edited by gacbrandao
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gacbrandao said:

This exactly this. I dont how people are not seeing this, like this is an awsome thing to happen with that band, they could from now on go to a different path, a more rich one.

100% agree!