✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate the latest movie you've seen

*Justine*

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch. :\

I can see the appeal but it just wasn't what I was interested in. I haven't read the book so the departure from the original wasn't a problem but the fact that throughout an very long film there didn't appear to be any form of character development at all. As for the cast, I spent more time thinking 'oh, it's this person... Oh, it's that person' rather than being immersed in who they were portraying. Too mischievous emphasis on effects (which is where it gained it's 0.7) as opposed to any real substance and an overemphasise on unbelievable action sequences (not in a good way). I'm aware that this was a children's book, but at least make it in a way that children will see it (it got through the ratings at 12A here). So instead we got a lot of grisly deaths that an older audience could appreciate, coinciding with absolutely no good guys/girls dying. I need realism in the characters or the scenarios if I'm watching a fantasy film. I didn't see any on either side. Either take out the grisly deaths and aim it towards the kids or spread the deaths out amongst everybody, as would be believable, especially if you are already making changes to the original to stretch it out over so many hours.

But like I say, I can see the appeal.

I can see the appeal but it just wasn't what I was interested in. I haven't read the book so the departure from the original wasn't a problem but the fact that throughout an very long film there didn't appear to be any form of character development at all. As for the cast, I spent more time thinking 'oh, it's this person... Oh, it's that person' rather than being immersed in who they were portraying. Too mischievous emphasis on effects (which is where it gained it's 0.7) as opposed to any real substance and an overemphasise on unbelievable action sequences (not in a good way). I'm aware that this was a children's book, but at least make it in a way that children will see it (it got through the ratings at 12A here). So instead we got a lot of grisly deaths that an older audience could appreciate, coinciding with absolutely no good guys/girls dying. I need realism in the characters or the scenarios if I'm watching a fantasy film. I didn't see any on either side. Either take out the grisly deaths and aim it towards the kids or spread the deaths out amongst everybody, as would be believable, especially if you are already making changes to the original to stretch it out over so many hours.

But like I say, I can see the appeal.

Okay. Well I definitely see we're you're coming from. I wish that the action scenes had been a bit more believable. I'm betting on the last film having three or four good guys dying. Though I guess not having any one else die up until that time takes away the sense of danger when they flesh it out into three films. I was frustrated a bit while reading the book that most of the dwarves were not developed a very much. You would think that in three 3 hour movies you'd have plenty of time to develop the dwarves rather than creating love triangles and inventing characters and subplots. I also found the scene with the dwarves and Smaug rather ridiculous. I still liked it a lot, but I can understand why you wouldn't and I appreciate you explaining your reasons for disliking it.

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - 7.5/10

Like most people I found the love side-story to be completely pointless and contrived, I wish they'd learned to steer clear of romance after the terribly boring Aragorn/Arwen scenes in LOTR. Apart from that, I really liked it. The scenes with Smaug were pretty damn awesome and I thought the reveal of the Necromancer was amazing. I can see where Greg's coming from, but I never really thought of The Hobbit as a children's book so that issue doesn't really bother me. As for the lack of character development, I agree that they could have done better.

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - 7.5/10

Like most people I found the love side-story to be completely pointless and contrived, I wish they'd learned to steer clear of romance after the terribly boring Aragorn/Arwen scenes in LOTR. Apart from that, I really liked it. The scenes with Smaug were pretty damn awesome and I thought the reveal of the Necromancer was amazing. I can see where Greg's coming from, but I never really thought of The Hobbit as a children's book so that issue doesn't really bother me. As for the lack of character development, I agree that they could have done better.

The term necromancer annoyed me too because I thought they were speaking of a neck romancer for half the film.

F.C De Kampioenen: Kampioen zijn blijft plezant: 7.5/10 a movie now they have quit the series, good

a movie just like an episode, not good

did I have high hopes, yes and I know that's not good

But I enjoyed it and it was a good movie, great to see everybody again and new faces and all.

To all who still have to see it: wait until it comes on telly :nod:

The Wolf of Wall Street 6/10

I love Leo and I love Scorsese's work but the movie is 3hrs long and that's just too much IMO.

About Time 8.5/10

Love Rachel McAdams and Bill Nighy. And Domhnall Gleeson is really good and super cute.

47 Ronin - 7.5/10

I really enjoyed this one, but it could've been so much better. The change in directors and weird editing didn't particularly help. And like every movie he does, I don't remember Keanu Reeves making a single facial expression. <_<

Some very cool and well-choreographed fight scenes, but the movie seemed to drag on at times.

Pacific Rim - 6.5/10

You know, the story was good I guess, but the giant monsters and robots fighting got a bit boring for me.

It makes me wonder though...if Guillermo del Toro had actually ended up directing The Hobbit, would that one giant golden dwarf statue have come to life and fought with Smaug? :P

I Am Slave - 9/10

its about modern day slavery and really moving.

Hitch - 6.5/10

a lot better than i thought~

The Deep Blue Sea - 6/10

The Way Back - 8/10

beautiful, great story etc.

Meet Dave - 6/10

War and Peace - 7/10

Identity Thief - 1/10

it sucked

Sleepless In Seattle - 6/10

idk this film just irritated me in some ways and i disliked the main characters and i know it's supposed to be great.

Anchorman 2 - 7.5/10

i found it really funny.

The Master - 8/10

at the beginning i was like uhh this sucks but then it gets more into the cult stuff and i think its great.