✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaiser Chiefs

Lolly Pop

Jake, the link doesn't work. :cry:

It took me FOREVER to get into Yours Truly Angry Mob. :embarassed: I was so caught up in 'ahh it's not like Employment!' and I totally did not get to enjoy the tracks for what they are. I love both, although I do love Employment more. Songs like 'The Angry Mob' and 'Retirement' definitely make Yours Truly more likable! :D

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new single is really bad, I was expecting something different considering Mark Ronson is producing the album, but really it sounds like the same old stuff, which is kind of ironic when you think Ricky Wilson has criticised Oasis for not progressing. They'll clearly never have another song as good as stuff like I Predict A Riot etc.

• 1 month later...

Digitalspy.co.uk review!: OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

When the Kaiser Chiefs announced they were working with Mark Ronson on their third album, it was met with a collective grimace from the nation's indie purists. Ronson's fondness for brassy '60s soul, combined with the Leeds band's knack for knocking out singalong pop anthems, sounded like a step too far for listeners who prefer their bands not to sound like they're sleeping with drivetime radio playlisters.

However, those who ran for the hills should be prepared to skulk back with their tails between their legs. Expectations that Off With Their Heads would be an album of tacky, radio-friendly indie-pop - complete with sax solos at the end of every song - are wide of the mark. The Kaisers' third LP is actually an adventurous record that often finds the band ditching the mega-choruses for irony-laced punk-funk.

Even more surprisingly, Ronson is actually fairly restrained here. Other than adding a bit too much cowbell to 'Addicted To Drugs', a cringeworthy Robert Palmer skit, he takes a backseat, allowing Ricky Wilson's crew to pursue their new-found interest in Talking Heads-style dance-rock. The presence of new wave obsessives New Young Pony Club, who provide backing vocals on two tracks, underlines the band's intentions here. By contrast, Lily Allen's tabloid-friendy cameos on 'Never Miss A Beat' and 'Always Happens Like That' pass without fanfare.

Fans of the Kaisers' first two albums may be disappointed that there's no 'Ruby' or 'Oh My God' here, but this album rewards repeated listens rather than walloping you in the guts with hook after hook. 'Like It Too Much', one of the many highlights, starts with a typical Kaisers mix of crunching guitars and jaunty piano before erupting into a overblown crescendo orchestrated by Bond composer David Arnold - it's a step up from anything on the band's first two albums. Equally brilliant is the thrilling 'Half The Truth', which finds the band pogoing around with the enthusiasm of teenagers.

Elsewhere, 'Tomato In The Rain', with its hypnotic synth loop and gentle guitars, is reminiscent of the Beta Band, while 'Can't Say What I Mean' sounds like Futureheads on Prozac. Only on 'Good Days Bad Days', which is probably supposed to recall the afro-beat stylings of trendy New Yorkers Vampire Weekend, do the band come unstuck. The lack of a killer single will probably harm its commercial fortunes, but from an artistic point of view this is the Kaisers' finest album to date.

4/5

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a132744/kaiser-chiefs-off-with-their-heads.html

Digitalspy.co.uk review!: OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

When the Kaiser Chiefs announced they were working with Mark Ronson on their third album, it was met with a collective grimace from the nation's indie purists. Ronson's fondness for brassy '60s soul, combined with the Leeds band's knack for knocking out singalong pop anthems, sounded like a step too far for listeners who prefer their bands not to sound like they're sleeping with drivetime radio playlisters.

However, those who ran for the hills should be prepared to skulk back with their tails between their legs. Expectations that Off With Their Heads would be an album of tacky, radio-friendly indie-pop - complete with sax solos at the end of every song - are wide of the mark. The Kaisers' third LP is actually an adventurous record that often finds the band ditching the mega-choruses for irony-laced punk-funk.

Even more surprisingly, Ronson is actually fairly restrained here. Other than adding a bit too much cowbell to 'Addicted To Drugs', a cringeworthy Robert Palmer skit, he takes a backseat, allowing Ricky Wilson's crew to pursue their new-found interest in Talking Heads-style dance-rock. The presence of new wave obsessives New Young Pony Club, who provide backing vocals on two tracks, underlines the band's intentions here. By contrast, Lily Allen's tabloid-friendy cameos on 'Never Miss A Beat' and 'Always Happens Like That' pass without fanfare.

Fans of the Kaisers' first two albums may be disappointed that there's no 'Ruby' or 'Oh My God' here, but this album rewards repeated listens rather than walloping you in the guts with hook after hook. 'Like It Too Much', one of the many highlights, starts with a typical Kaisers mix of crunching guitars and jaunty piano before erupting into a overblown crescendo orchestrated by Bond composer David Arnold - it's a step up from anything on the band's first two albums. Equally brilliant is the thrilling 'Half The Truth', which finds the band pogoing around with the enthusiasm of teenagers.

Elsewhere, 'Tomato In The Rain', with its hypnotic synth loop and gentle guitars, is reminiscent of the Beta Band, while 'Can't Say What I Mean' sounds like Futureheads on Prozac. Only on 'Good Days Bad Days', which is probably supposed to recall the afro-beat stylings of trendy New Yorkers Vampire Weekend, do the band come unstuck. The lack of a killer single will probably harm its commercial fortunes, but from an artistic point of view this is the Kaisers' finest album to date.

4/5

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a132744/kaiser-chiefs-off-with-their-heads.html

Shit, some bands could toss off to a microphone and get good reviews.

Lets be fair, this band is average.

They remind me of Greenday. In the way there not creative or musically talented enough to be refered to as talented, but they do their purpose of getting on the radio quite well.

green day shits all over the kaiser chiefs

Lets be fair, this band is average.

They remind me of Greenday. In the way there not creative or musically talented enough to be refered to as talented, but they do their purpose of getting on the radio quite well.

And like they sung, Everything Is Average Nowadays :lol:

The parts of the new album I have heard have so-far placed the album top of my "disappointing albums of 2008" list

This is exactly how I feel about the new album:-

http://entertainment.ie/album-review/Kaiser-Chiefs---Off-with-Their-Heads/5963.htm

Kaiser Chiefs - Off with Their Heads

When did Kaiser Chiefs become the band that everyone loves to hate? Was their debut album not an entertaining amalgamation of bluster, pomp and pop? Do they not have the skills to write hit after hit, whilst also appealing to the NME-buying indie crowd? Is their collective cheeky-chappy persona not completely endearing? If your answer to the above questions is 'no', congratulations. You're in possession of a healthy capacity of common sense. If, however, you're unsure about your feelings for Kaiser Chiefs - especially after they destroyed any sliver of credibility they may have had with the self-indulgent twaddle that masqueraded as their second album - this record will make up your mind either way.

The ubiquitous Mark Ronson produced Off with Their Heads - yet while the production arena is supposedly where Ronson's earned his reputation, he does nothing to make these songs sparkle, or even elevate them from the pit of banality they so hopelessly fester in. It's not that they're bad songs, per se - they're just terribly, criminally, unforgivably drab.

Kaiser Chiefs have made their name by writing songs with a meticulously-followed formula: they're either lite-rock, call-and-response numbers (like Never Miss A Beat) or chipper, repetitive pop (such as You Want History or Can't Say What I Mean) - but they're always, always lacking in variation of tempo, tone and general songwriting flair. Ricky Wilson's complete absence of a vocal range is the main culprit here - although his lyrics, which largely sound like they've been thought up on the toilet ("Sticks and stones and animal bones / Can't stop me from having a good day, or a bad day") don't help the cause much, either.

Argue all you want about the fact that they aren't supposed to be taken seriously (don't worry, they never will be), that they're unashamedly a novelty band (best they could hope for) and that they're quite happy to be seen as purveyors of stadium rock anthems (no snobbery on that count). Yet even without getting overtly philosophical about what purpose Kaiser Chiefs actually serve, this is still one of the most inane albums you could wish not to hear in 2008.

Review by Lauren Murphy

Kiaser Chiefs, when will you learn that your music has already been written, with far better social commentry by a band called Blur. Blur also had far superior lyrics and melodies, an intresting and unique way with guitars.

Never Miss a Beat, to be fair looks like its written by a 5 year old.

What did you learn today? (I learned nothin')

What did you do today? (I did nothin')

What did you learn at school? (I didn't go)

Why didn't you go to school? (I don't know)

It's cool to know nothin'

Television's on the blink (there's nothin' on it)

I really wanna really big coat (with words on it)

What do you want for tea? (I want crisps)

Why didn't you join the team? (I just didn't)

Take a look, take a look, take a look at the

Kids on the street

No they never miss a beat

Never miss a beat

Never miss a beat-beat, beat-beat

Take a look at the kids on the street

Never miss a beat

Never miss a

Never miss a beat

Never miss a beat

Here comes the referee (the light's flashin')

Best bit of the day (now that's livin')

Why don't you run away? (are you kiddin'?)

What is the golden rule? (you say nothin')

Kids on the street

Never miss a beat

Never miss a beat

Never miss a

Never miss a beat

Never miss a beat

Kids on the street

Never miss a beat

Never miss a beat

Never miss a

Never miss a beat

Never miss a beat

They've got the dialogue thing going there but its not quite as good as

'I get up when I want, except on wednesdays, when I get rudely wakened by the dustmen. (parklife!)

I put my trousers on, have a cup of tea, and I think about leaving the house. (parklife!)

I feed the pigeons, I sometimes feed the sparrows too.

It gives me a sense of enormous well-being. (parklife!)

And then Im happy for the rest of the day,

Safe in the knowledge there will always be a bit of my heart devoted to it'

And thats not even that hard to write, its just free form.

And the Kiaser Chiefs keep saying their better than Oasis, and they've captured the hearts and minds of britain. News for you, Oasis's is far better than you in so many ways, and the Arctic Monkeys will go down as the band that captured the youth of this generation.