06/03/07 Glasgow, UK Glasgow Academy

07/03/07 Glasgow, UK Glasgow Academy

09/03/07 Cardiff, UK University Great Hall

10/03/07 Cardiff, UK University Great Hall

I'm gonna try and get tix for Shepherds Bush Empire! :dance:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kaiser Chiefs' Radiohead

Kaiser Chiefs' frontman Ricky Wilson thinks Radiohead must get miserable just making a cup of tea.

The 'Everyday I Love You Less and Less' singer says his band makes cheerful songs because they are happy, and though he is a fan of Radiohead, he thinks they must be tortured souls.

Ricky said: "I don't think there's anything wrong with the Radiohead way of doing things.

"They probably torture themselves over making a cup of tea. And they end up making amazing cups of tea.

"But there are different ways of making cups of tea, aren't there? We love the taste of Radiohead's tea."

The singer has also revealed that when he was hit by a car last summer, he was most concerned about missing his hair appointment.

He told Britain's The Times newspaper: "I really fancied my hairdresser at the time and I had an appointment the next morning. I was single, so I wasn't going to miss it for the world."

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/entertainment/Kaiser+Chiefs++Radiohead+-30608.html

• 2 weeks later...

27096.YoursTrulyAngryMob.jpg

Kaiser Chiefs

Yours Truly, Angry Mob

[universal; 2007]

Rating: 5.0

After "Oh My God" dented the UK singles charts in 2004, the Kaiser Chiefs were snatched up by Universal as the label's entry into the resurgent British new wave sweepstakes. The band's debut album, Employment, and its proletarian bent sounded like a recipe for the broadest appeal possible: The Chiefs occasionally shared Jam-isms with the Futureheads, and could wank out a power ballad like Bloc Party, but their appeal was geared toward a larger audience than their art-school counterparts. The rhythms were just as foregrounded, but drawn more from pub-rock and Britpop than Josef K and Joy Division, with banged-out piano runs and ramped-up choruses replacing chippy guitars and watertight drumming. And it worked-- the album sold more than 1.75 million copies in the UK alone.

With a bit of distance, Employment certainly sounds like a debut record from a band rushed into the spotlight. They had the energy and enthusiasm of a group of soldiers on a weekend furlough, with Ricky Wilson leading a series of sing-alongs and sappy-but-heartfelt ballads. It was far from great album, but the simmering violence of "I Predict a Riot" and infectiousness of "Na Na Na Na Naa", "Everyday I Love You Less and Less", and "Oh My God" got the Chiefs bracketed with British ancestors such as Small Faces, Madness, and Blur.

Well, if Yours Truly, Angry Mob is any indication, the party's over. It's perhaps not surprising that the band is unable to keep their Employment energy level intact, but Mob's level of cynicism seems a bit of an overcompensation, as if the second record is an extended dreary hangover from the drunken escapade of the first.

First single "Ruby" starts the album on an upbeat note, though it fails to pack much of a punch. Essentially a repackaged summation of Employment's dynamism, "Ruby" pauses ever so slightly before hitting its simple, repeated refrain, ostensibly to increase its potency on impact. But despite their best effort, there's only a small pop instead of an explosion. "The Angry Mob" raises the stakes a bit, alternating clenched-teeth dares with limber capitulations, resulting in the album's most enjoyable song. Wilson attempts to force a barroom competitor into independent thought: "You're winding yourself up until you're turning blue, repeating everything that you've read," before giving up: "It's only 'cause you came here with your brothers, too; if you came here on your own you'd be dead."

If "Mob" ended with that bit of resignation, it would be fine, but the coda brings the groans, explaining the titular mass not as rowdy bar patrons or concert attendees, but society itself: "We are the angry mob, we read the papers everyday/ We like who we like, we hate who we hate, but we're oh so easily swayed." Wilson was fine as a casual observer on Employment, and Mob's occasional, vague forays into social comment certainly illustrate that he'd do well to avoid too much editorializing. The Buzzcocks-referencing "Everything Is Average Nowadays" mines similar territory ("everyone is sitting on the fence"), yet the band didn't get the message that they weren't supposed to prove their claim by illustrating how blandness sounds.

Wilson's preoccupation with failed (and failing) romantic relationships continues with "Love Is Not a Competition (But I'm Winning)" as the logical followup to Employment's "Everyday I Love You Less and Less", the sentiment from which was properly identified on this Web site in Joe Tangari's Employment review as barely concealed pining. "I Can Do Without You" is a half-hearted attempt at self-encouragement, and Wilson's not too sure he'll succeed, following the refrain with "but it won't be very good." The self-hatred is capped on "My Kind of Guy", where Wilson abandons the ladies and finds a partner in despair, one who "sounds as horrible" as he does.

The central flaw of Mob-- and it's a profound one-- is that its attempt to refine Employment's boundless levels of boyish vigor with introspection and intellect comes across as tired and bored. If he cared a whit about subtlety or nuance, Wilson could wrench deeper meaning from his pithy observations. Of course, he doesn't, which was fine when the band was content to wallop the listener over the head. But On Mob, he's clearly trying for something more, yet seemingly unaware that he's caught in a rut. He accidentally explains it best in "Thank You Very Much" (itself a pale retread of "I Predict a Riot"'s rhythm bed): "This should be a thrill, but it feels like a drill."

-Eric Harvey, March 01, 2007

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/41409/Kaiser_Chiefs_Yours_Truly_Angry_Mob

• 1 month later...

Kaiser Chiefs shed jokester persona on second disc

79017-26560.jpg

KAISER CHIEFS

Commodore Ballroom

Tuesday, 8 p.m.

The Kaiser Chiefs' new album isn't going to make you laugh -- and the band couldn't care less.

Following up their smash debut -- the giddy, buoyant Employment -- the riot-predicting hooligans have traded in their skinny jeans and shiny blazers for funeral garb and a decidedly more serious tone on sophomore disc, Yours Truly, Angry Mob. Welcome to the black parade.

"We're still quite funny but we're not cheeky chappies, and I don't think we ever were," says bassist Simon Rix of the U.K. band's transformation from rowdy jesters to social commentators.

"I think people got that because of our music, particularly on Employment, it was quite bouncy and energetic. But then if you hear the lyrics, they're quite negative a lot of the time."

Like the post-punk pop bands they're constantly getting lumped in with (think the Killers and Bloc Party), the Kaiser Chiefs were desperate to shred their ironic hat-wearing jokester persona and pack their new album with weightier material. Yours Truly, Angry Mob tackles media-fuelled hysteria, cultural decline, societal malaise and a general distrust of the Man.

Not that this sudden gravitas is immediately apparent from the album's poppy first single, Ruby.

"There's nothing much to it, which is a shame [because] there's a lot of songs that have got a lot of meaning and depth and the lyrics are interesting, but Ruby really is just a pop song," says Rix.

"We hope that when we move on to future singles, that people will get that there's a bit more depth to the Kaiser Chiefs."

Such depth is evident in tracks like The Angry Mob, a stomping, percussion-heavy rebuke of celebrity worship, and Everything is Average Nowadays, an upbeat distress signal on modern life's mediocrity.

So, what are these new wave post-punks from Leeds doing to shake the world out of our communal trance?

"What we're doing is we're in a band that writes good songs, because most bands don't," snipes Rix.

And there it is -- a glimmer of Employment-era Kaiser Chiefs. While promoting their first album, the boys made a point of verbally bitch-slapping their peers in interviews, dissing everyone from the Arctic Monkeys to the Killers to Coldplay. But Rix insists they're trying to curb the insults this time around.

"The thing is, when you're in our band and you're doing interviews, you get asked three questions: 'Who's Ruby?,' 'How's everything in the world?,' and 'Who do you hate?' It's like, 'Can you slag off a band for us?'

A band they have no intention of slagging off is U2, whose offer of a supporting spot on their 2005 European summer tour gave the Kaiser Chiefs a taste of stadium success.

"When we played with U2, Bono asked afterwards, 'Do you like it? Do you want to do this?'" recalls Rix. "And we were hungry for it. He said 'It's good that you have the ambition to play in big places.' "

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/arts/story.html?id=92ed0765-4bd7-4ad7-9556-1fd954c3c977

• 2 months later...

image_700_1.jpg

Hello everyone

It's been a while, we hope you've been keeping well and those of you at Glastonbury avoided trenchfoot.

Thanks to all of you that came out to watch us there, our Pyramid Stage show was one of our favourites ever, we thoroughly enjoyed it. Here's some words on what went on & if you want to take a peek here's "Ruby" & "Everyday I Love You Less & Less"

It was great fun.

On to the future, we can announce today that we'll be touring the UK in November & December this year. Tickets for these shows go on general sale on Friday 29th June at 9am from all the usual box offices & gigsandtours.com

To try to combat touting issues and give all our genuine fans a shot at getting tickets first there will be a pre-sale from Wednesday 27th June at 9am via Blah - click on the tickets icon at the top of that page. We're announcing this to YOU ONLY on this mailing list and amongst our MySpace friends, so if you want tickets please use this pre-sale to avoid disappointment once the tickets are on general sale. All sales will be limited to 4 per transaction again in an effort to discourage touting.

Here's the tour

WED 21st NOV --- Exeter Westpoint Arena

THURS 22nd NOV --- Bournemouth BIC

SAT 24th NOV --- Cardiff CIA

MON 26th NOV --- Birmingham NIA

WED 28th NOV --- Nottingham Arena

FRI 30th NOV --- Manchester Evening News Arena

MON 3rd DEC --- Sheffield Hallam FM Arena

TUES 4th DEC --- Hull Arena

WED 10th DEC --- Newcastle Metro Radio Arena

FRI 14th DEC --- London Earls Court

You can read more about it right here.

We can also confirm that main support on all shows will be WE ARE SCIENTISTS and opening all dates THE LITTLE ONES

From Friday morning 29th June at 9am the 24hr Credit Card Ticketline will be open --- 0871 2200 260

Each venue will operate a zero booking fee system for tickets purchased face to face in cash from the box offices, to avoid any excess charges please visit the venue box offices in person. Good luck.

And before all of this --- we can announce exclusively that our next single will be "The Angry Mob", released on August 20th through B-Unique Records. It will be released on limited edition formats, a 7" Picture Disc, a pre-order only Poster Edition Vinyl, and CD Single. Details of all the bonus tracks will be revealed soon, we're shooting a video this week with legendary Director Wiz in Romania so watch out for that one in a few weeks time.

We're in Norway today, playing Hove Festival and have a load more shows coming up, we're playing most major Festivals across the globe this Summer so I'm sure we'll see you all at some point. Click here for all the details.

Thanks for all your continued support, we really appreciate it

See you all soon

Kaiser Chiefs

• 1 month later...

I just read that Kaiser Chiefs are playing against the traditional club of St. Pauli (2. Bundesliga) in Hamburg, directly after their concert (support band: The Cribs). Kick-off at Borgweg's hockey stadium will be at 11pm on August 27th. Admission free! The reason for this match is a good cause... They want to play for a better water supply in the Third World.

• 2 months later...

Grumpy Kaiser Chief On Meeting Celebs

KAISER Chief Ricky Wilson yesterday revealed his tactics to deal with superstarencounters - being grumpy.

Click here to listen to our exclusive interview with Ricky Wilson.

The frontman says he’s so shy when he bumps into other celebs that he starts moaning in a bid to look cool.

Ricky said: I do get a bit starstruck, it’s not like I can’t speak but when I meet famous people I moan. I think it makes me appear cool and blasé.

“We were talking to Coldplay yesterday and Chris Martin asked me how relations within the band were.

“I went, ‘Mm, you know. All right I suppose.’ The others were stood next to me going, ‘You what!’

“At least I have an ‘in’ with celebs now. If I had met someone like Terry Hall four years ago I couldn’t have just walked up because he’d have wondered who the weirdo was.

“Now he knows it’s the weirdo from the Kaiser Chiefs.

Ricky, 29, spent Wednesday night surrounded by celebs at the Electric Proms when he stood in for Lily Allen to perform Mark Ronson’s cover of Kaisers’ hit Oh My God. He said: It was like a very bizarre karaoke night.

“The arrangement is so different and I have heard Lily’s one so much I forgot how to do it our way.

“My girlfriend was laughing at me because halfway through there’s a break and I did some sort of little dance. I looked over at Mark Ronson and he was laughing at me.

The Kaisers are about to embark on a massive UK arena tour taking in a date at the SECC on December 6 and Ricky is determined to make them their best shows yet by unveiling FIVE brand new songs.

He said: We have lots of hits which is brilliant but we want more.

And he is happy for fans to film the new tracks and put them on the web.

He said: When you bring out an album the world judges it. Songs are more important nowadays.

“We can play a new song live and the next morning there are 15 versions on YouTube.

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/tv-showbiz-news/entertainment-news/2007/10/28/grumpy-kaiser-chief-on-meeting-celebs-78057-20020717/

• 8 months later...

right, lets *bump* this bad boy...

I was lucky enough to see these guys last night, they were as rocking as ever.

Played a few new songs including Never Miss A Beat (which was excellent), and I Want History.

Pictures to come soonish

ooh Ruby is good!!

Apparently LP3 is in its final stages, Mark Ronson recently said he'd finished recording it which is good. Except its Mark Ronson that said that, his global domination continues...

kc1640x480.jpg

kc18640x480.jpg

kc5640x480.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Kaiser Chiefs new album out 13th October

Our new album is called 'Off With Their Heads', it is released worldwide on Monday 13th October 2008 (14th in USA).

It will feature all of these songs, in this order:

1. Spanish Metal

2. Never Miss A Beat

3. Like It Too Much

4. You Want History

5. Can't Say What I Mean

6. Good Days Bad Days

7. Tomato In The Rain

8. Half The Truth

9. Always Happens Like That

10. Addicted To Drugs

11. Remember You're A Girl

The album was produced by Mark Ronson & Eliot James at RAK & Eastcote Studios in London, and mixed by Andy Wallace (He did Nevermind and LCD Soundsystem), with a few tracks mixed by Cenzo Townshend. We started recording in February this year. We'd heard that Mark Ronson was keen to produce us and we had three new songs that we wanted to record. We also wanted to try working with someone who was relatively new in the producer world and Eliot James kept getting recommended to us. Due to the fact that time was not in abundance for anyone, we decided to all work together and see what happened. Those initial two weeks in February were so productive and enjoyable that we quickly had more songs and carried on, breaking off to write and rehearse back in Leeds and to see the world playing festivals. We never intended to make an album at first, in fact we were going to have a year off...

Interesting Facts (Part One):

Never Miss A Beat was the song that kicked it all off and will be the first single (released Monday 6th October). We wanted some female backing vocals at the end so asked Lily Allen and some members of New Young Pony Club. Lily also does backing vocals on the song 'Always Happens Like That'.

Like It Too Much features string arrangements from everybody's favourite Bond theme guy, David Arnold.

Half The Truth features a contribution from UK rapper Sway. He was literally passing and he knows Eliot so we asked him to make something up in a gap we had in the song and he delivered.

We're now working on the artwork and the video and basically everything else, as well as doing festivals till the end of the summer. We're planning a tour for later on in the year and looking forward to hearing the first single on the radio soon. Mark Ronson has been bigging up the album in interviews for a while now which is nice because it sounds better coming from someone not in the band but we think it's our best album yet.

Kaiser Chiefs