✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Gwyneth...

Katharina

The Public Editor's Journal - Clark Hoyt

March 26, 2012, 4:07 pm

Times in Food Fight Over Cookbook Ghostwriter Story

By ARTHUR S. BRISBANE

I am not a foodie, to be candid. Food and I have a transactional relationship. I eat it but I don’t contemplate it.

I do know who Rachael Ray is because I’ve seen her on TV and on the covers of some of her 18 books. What always struck me about her was her overwhelmingly buoyant personality, always on display as she whips things up in her kitchen on the tube.

The Rachael Ray who called me last week, though, was a very unhappy, annoyed Rachael Ray. The object of her upset: The New York Times. The cover of the March 14 Dining section carried a boldly-illustrated feature headlined, “I Was a Cookbook Ghostwriter.” The sub-headline said, “Finding the words chefs wish they had.”

The reporter, Julia Moskin, started the piece off with a recollection of her days ghosting nine cookbooks. The story then went on to wonder how prodigious cookbook authors like Rachael Ray manage “cookbook production schedules that boggle the mind.”

“How, you might ask, do they do it?” the piece asked, then followed with: “The answer: they don’t.”

Enter Rachael Ray: “I wrote all my books. I have them in handwritten and digital form,” she told me, and added: “You tell me what part of that makes me not the writer.”

Also appearing in the article was Gwyneth Paltrow, a picture of whom carried a caption that said her ghostwriter is Julia Turshen. Like Ms. Ray, Ms. Paltrow took to Twitter to complain:

Gwyneth Paltrow

@GwynethPaltrow

Love @nytimes dining section but this weeks facts need checking. No ghost writer on my cookbook, I wrote every word myself.

17 Mar 12

Ms. Paltrow’s publicist, Stephen Huvane, told me that Ms. Paltrow strongly disputes The Times’s account.

“Gwyneth is very very upset with the times and rightfully so,” he wrote in an email. “She did NOT use a ghost writer. Julia Turshen was her assistant during the writing of that book and is appropriately acknowledged. Every word of that book was written by Gwyneth. Every recipe of that book was written and developed by Gwyneth.”

But The Times has refused to correct the article. I queried Susan Edgerley, editor of the section, and she told me the article “did not say someone else wrote Rachael Ray’s or Gwyneth Paltrow’s books. We said they, like many others, had help.”

Ms. Edgerley referred me to a passage in the article that, she indicated, let readers know how the article was defining ghostwriting:

Food ghostwriters come in many different flavors, including the researchers who might spend days testing every possible method of cooking beans for Bobby Flay, the aproned assistants at the Food Network who frantically document everything that the “talent” does on camera in order to produce recipes for the Web site, and the (slightly) more literary work of writers who attempt to document a chef’s ideas, memories and vision in glossy cookbooks.

And Richard L. Berke, the assistant managing editor who oversees features sections, added, “The article clearly touched a nerve with Ms. Ray and others, but we believe it was utterly fair and accurate.”

So who is right here? To me, it comes down to how you define ghostwriting. The everyday definition, and the one I would use, is that a ghostwriter is one who writes a book in the place of the author of record. But The Times, as is evident in the passage above, was using a stretched version of the term (add water and stir).

Further complicating things, the article rolled right through the section about Ms. Ray before offering up the caveat of a broader definition for ghosting cookbooks. For a reader (and for Ms. Ray), it certainly seemed to be saying, flat-out, she doesn’t write her own books.

Misleading, I would say.

http://publiceditor.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/times-in-food-fight-over-cookbook-ghostwriter-story/

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gwyneth should choose his friends outside of showbiz. and is far from all the paps .

Mario is a friend and a great cook. they could do a book together. I do not know it would make a book to discover the dishes of the country. same time help poor countries to boost their economies.

create foods dishes that are unique and good. just have ideas.

a simple recipe. compared to that food, quinoa can be red or white.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

just a example in winter a quinoa soup of vegetable

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2807/dsc02039l.jpg

Getting ugly: Gwyneth Paltrow to play Picasso's lopsided lover

Earth mother and yoga fiend Gwyneth Paltrow faces her toughest acting challenge yet: rearranging her face.

BY Ellie Pithers | 28 March 2012

Gwyneth Paltrow will have to get ugly to play Picasso's lover and muse Dora Maar

Gwyneth Paltrow's ready-salted row with Kate Moss at Sir Philip Green's birthday booze-up is a thing of the past (and most probably, to our chagrin, a thing of fiction), but the supermodel received new ammunition against her rival today when it was announced that Paltrow is set to play Pablo Picasso's lover Dora Maar in a film about the painting of his seminal work, Guernica .

How will Paltrow's forthcoming role in a Picasso biopic supply Moss with an endless source of bitchy one-liners, I hear you cry? News reached us today that Paltrow, the woman with arguably the world's most symmetrical face, is set to play the role of surrealist artist and photographer Maar - a woman who Picasso painted with her right eye lodged in her nose, her mouth firmly embedded in her left cheek, and her left eye hovering in profile in the centre of her forehead.

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Gwyneth Paltrow and Picasso's portrait of Dora Maar. Photo: Rex Features

No amount of snake or bee venom, both touted by Paltrow on her lifestyle website Goop as a miracle cure for skincare, can turn this face around. In fact, it looks as though the negative side effects of apitherapy (that's the use of bee-based treatments as a form of homeopathic medicine) have taken a perilous hold of Maar's portrait, what with the swelling of her nose, knuckles and right breast.

Paltrow will star in the Carlos Saura film, entitled 33 Dias , opposite Antonio Banderas in the role of Picasso. Her flawless skin and wonderfully regular features will have to undergo radical transformation if she wishes to successfully convey the surrealist qualities of Picasso's muse, which will furnish Kate Moss with more than enough insults to continue the face-off which began over a bag of crisps on the beach.

Getting ugly for a role, however, is considered the ultimate in thespian suffering; Charlize Theron was monstrous in Monster , and she won an Oscar for her troubles. If Maar's portraits are anything to go by, it's a good job Paltrow spends most of her life doing yoga. If anyone can master bending her nose to the right without moving her mouth and/or eyes simultaneously, it's our Gwynnie.

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG9171961/Getting-ugly-Gwyneth-Paltrow-to-play-Picassos-lopsided-lover.html

gwyneth-upload_2179832a.jpg

the paps of bastards :angry: Gwyneth have osteoporosis is not easy... :mean:

but I did not see this kind of role. she never made ​​role as the wife of the Joker.

it is perfect in the role of actions and the roles of authors .

historical movies:

Jefferson in Paris

Shakespeare in Love

movies romantic / drama romantic :

Great Expectations

Possession

Imagine me and you

Sliding Doors

The Anniversary Party

Two Lovers

Shallow Hal

EMMA

I am not a fan of Iron Man because the character Pepper Potts is bland

is this true? if it is then its great! Cuz I think she is a really good actress so she might be able to pull this off ! I loved her in shakespeare in love (Saw it again after a long time recently) ! She knows how to act!

I think so since more publications are reporting it as well.

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2012/03/29/gwyneth-paltrow-picasso-film---33-dias-antonio-banderas

BTW isn't the Telegraph a serious newspapers? How can they report that bogus spat between Gwyneth and Kate even jokingly when it's clear they don't think it happened?

^Yeah the whole article is pretty ridiculous, or they're trying to be funny. Picasso was a cubist, showing different angles in one painting. It has nothing to do with the woman being ugly.

But it's nice news, sounds interesting!

I agree :nod:

Robert Downey Jr. And Gwyneth Paltrow On The Return Of Pepper Potts In THE AVENGERS

Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow reveal new details about the relationship between Tony Stark and Pepper Potts in The Avengers, including the current status of their romance and more.

Josh Wilding - 3/31/2012

Earlier this month, the Japanese trailer for Marvel's The Avengers confirmed that Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts would play some sort of role in Joss Whedon's superhero ensemble. Here's what the actress had to say about what has been going on with Pepper since we last saw her in Iron Man 2. "At the end of ‘Iron Man 2,’ Pepper and Tony had a real kiss, which was great because they had been building it up for two films. So in ‘The Avengers,’ the idea is that they’re heading somewhere, but it hasn’t, shall we say, consummated yet."

However, it was Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark/Iron Man) who convinced Marvel Studios to bring back Pepper for The Avengers as he sees her as a vital part of the progression of his character. "When we were in the first of several iterations of the storyline, the only thing I was sure about was that Tony Stark needed backup." He added: "I said to Joss and Kevin, ‘We really need Pepper to be involved in some way.’ I felt like it’s been a while since we have seen Tony and Pepper and they have grown to be pretty close and it just makes sense that she would have some kind of influence over his decision to join ‘The Avengers’ team."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=57222

Whose Twitter? Where? When? How? Why? Inquiring minds want to know. :laugh3:

A couple of people spotted them at Legoland and twitted about it. I've also read somewhere that Moses just loves legos.

Ella ‏ @McAgent24

Can't believe I saw Gwyneth Paltrow today! Was like nearly up close with her! Love working at Legoland!

19h Sophie Goldner Sophie Goldner ‏ @SophieGoldner

@lucy_miah I have just left the company of Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow after picking my cousin up from their sons party at Legoland

Gwyneth Paltrow's Quick Recipe for Busy Moms: Quail Egg Pasta with Black Truffles + Welcome Our New Guest Food Columnist

By Gwyneth Paltrow Sat., Mar. 31 2012 at 11:45 PM

Categories: Cookbook Authors, Gwyneth's recipes, Recipes

GwynethPaltrow.jpg

Andrea Raffin

​Editor's note: As many of you have probably noticed, the Weekly is currently searching for a new food critic. This sort of thing takes time. Sometimes a lot of time, right? So in the interim, we've asked (begged, really) noted cookbook author, television personality, foodist, movie star and local mom Gwyneth Paltrow to come aboard as our guest columnist. We're also very happy to announce our partnership with her company goop. Welcome, Gwyneth! Her first story...

My close friend and confidant Victoria Beckham and I were just discussing over brunch how stressful it is being busy moms in heels. It's insane. Between reading emails, making vision boards with Isabel Marant, and researching the most effective psyllium husk, there's very little time to whip together a quick, healthy, committed and tolerant weekday night dinner for your family.

So I created this recipe for a yummy Quail Egg Pasta that is so truly amazing and entirely original but most importantly: a quick fix for busy moms everywhere.

gppasta-thumb-560x370.jpg

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/03/gwyneth_paltrows_quick_recipes.php

A couple of people spotted them at Legoland and twitted about it. I've also read somewhere that Moses just loves legos.

Ella ‏ @McAgent24

Can't believe I saw Gwyneth Paltrow today! Was like nearly up close with her! Love working at Legoland!

19h Sophie Goldner Sophie Goldner ‏ @SophieGoldner

@lucy_miah I have just left the company of Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow after picking my cousin up from their sons party at Legoland

Awww great !!! That's cute :D :awesome:

and also wanted to say that dreamer James Blunt have crush about Gwyneth's ♥ I'm not kidding :thinking:

Michael+Eavis+Chris+Martin+Q+Awards+2005+Boards+U9M0GF5DTSZl.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYltT2AxQzI&feature=relmfu]James Blunt - 'So Far Gone' [OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO] - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Blunt,_James/Videos/?vxChannel=&vxClipId=&clip_id=tfw6MdxaH9YQ9FSzeLI61g&video_title=Gwyneth+Paltrow+take+London+Underground

bah I know what it is to live alone in the mountains

Thanks for the Twitter info! That's fantastic.

We all know about and have seen Chris's "G", "A" and "M" tats, but I wasn't sure how many had actually seen Gwyneth's "C". If anyone is interested, here it is. (I know it's a pap shot, so forgive...) Man, I wish I looked like her in a bathing suit. Once I had kids, the bikini days were OVER! :laugh3:

gm1l.jpg[/img]