✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[3-June-2011] Rock im Park: Nürnberg, Germany [possible setlist and first YouTube videos in 1st post

Jenjie

Amo entrambi allora..e pure Phil che ha mantenuto la promessa :P

Ahah if I find Phil again I'll give him a huge FIVE :D So glad he listened to us.

OT/

mi mancano da morire quelle secret gigs..i migliori concerti di sempre...

/OT

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im confused, they call cartoon hearts the 'back to the future theme'? Does this mean that they didn't write it? :S

no, they started with "the back tot he future theme" as they did with the blue danube during viva

42a.jpg

Roadie #42 - Blog #132

4 June 2011 2:59 pm

#42 reports back from the first show of the festival run

news_line.png

Everyone wanders into the lounge with different news: "They gave it a rewind - so good they played it again straight away"; "Twitter has gone absolutely berserk"; "I can't even get on the fansites they're so busy - one of them is completely down".

It's a bit of a Team Coldplay gathering, with various management folks, some EMIs - even producer Markus Dravs is here to visit his homeland for a couple days.

The band, of course - the eye of this very hurricane - float in looking oblivious to anything going on at all. They are focused on the job in hand, namely playing a blinder of a festival show to get us off the blocks.

It's kind of a strange thing going back to doing huge shows after such a long gap. You know that this once felt very comfortable and familiar, but you feel one step removed from it, as if perhaps you shouldn't really be here. It's a little like revisiting your old school classroom several years after you took off the tie for the last time.

I imagine that the "slightly unfamiliar" vibe wasn't just limited to us folks. There was a fair chunk of new material tonight - a whole six songs of it - only one tune of which anyone in the audience stood any chance of having heard before.

The new stuff, though, is well received and people are clearly very excited to be hearing fresh work. It’s inevitable that brand new tunes receive an “attentive listen”, whereas the familiar chiming chords of the Viva intro ignite the place like a firework. It’s a brave and necessary move, though. Festivals particularly, could easily be a time to load the bomb bay with hit after crowd-pleasing hit to ensure rapturous applause throughout - putting yourself in the best light in front of the maximum number of people.

There would be an underlying weakness in that, though - like you’re admitting that all your best stuff is behind you and it’s those songs from years past that people are really here for. But this band is not a greatest-hits act yet. They are still striving to produce their finest and most potent work.

Given the way Jonny lets rip in HLH, I’d say that’s just what they’re doing.

20110703a.jpg

We all meet up around noon to head over to the first festival show. Co-incidentally, it's the exact time that the new single breaks cover and hits the radio waves for the first time.

Another point of note comes during UATW. Chris begins alone on acoustic guitar. Will joins him at the tiny pump organ and chimes in on backing vocal - earning him quite the hugest cheer I’ve ever heard for a simple harmony. The fact that it’s a tune nobody in the field has ever heard before seems somehow to make the response more genuine. Definite moment...

20110703b.jpg

Obviously, all the favourites are present, correct and kicking plenty of the proverbial. The most glorious production moment is a completely unplanned one in Fix You. As the mobile phones get held aloft, Chris asks for all of the stage lights to be killed. Suddenly it’s just the sea of little blue lights and the song. Nothing else - and really, what else do you need?

The set closes with Every Teardrop… and it’s completely evident that it’s a great festival tune. It’ll be interesting actually, to see how the audience response changes as this song drills its way into the public conscience. I’m expecting each show to see it greeted more and more rapturously until it gets the same treatment as the Clocks piano riff or the Viva strings.

Overall, you couldn’t ask for a more solid first night. There are a million tweaks to make, a whole load of things that’ll slip into place, but for now it feels a little less like we’re visiting an old haunt and a lot more like we’re back where we belong…

R#42

So that was just a funny opener and no selfwritten Coldplay song for LP5?!

They started with the back to the future theme, followed by a song we call cartoon hearts. That's the one you hear in the videos :)

*freaks out*

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Hurts Like Heaven, Cartoon Hearts, and whatever UATW stands for!!!! I can't wait for download-quality versions from the stream tonight, because I'm already addicted to these songs aaaaahhhhhh :freak: why can't they just release the goddamn album?!

only one I'm unsure of is Princess of China, but that's only cause the sound quality is too bad to hear the song and I hate the title, so... :P But everything else I absolutely adore. Like, a lot.

Updated unconfirmed setlist:

Cartoon Heart (?)

Clocks

Yellow

In My Place

Princess Of China

The Scientist

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Lost!

Us Against The World

Cemeteries of London

Politik

Hurts Like Heaven

Viva La Vida

Fix You

Up With The Birds (?)

Life Is For Living

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

the first 3 songs are in the right order. word.

they didnt play lovers in japan and speed of sound as posted in some other setlists!

Another one here that is not understanding anything.

I've just woken up here in Brazil, so what's happening?

Their gig will be live on internet (like Ustream?) ?

another thing that i realized here, seeing this small clips of videos..

Nothing about Wedding Bells, right?

i was sceptical when i heard etiaw for the first time.

ritmo de la noche is such a horrible song ( though it's not the original, but better known). AND it reminds me of verona pooth :thumbsdown: , the germans know what i mean.

but it grows on me.

i like this "irish flavour" in jonnys guitarwork and when the drums kick in at 3:00 minutes, everything is ok. :)

but...

the new songs in this thread are completely off the hook!

i want the new album right now!

my pvr is armed and ready for tonight... :dance:

Another one here that is not understanding anything.

I've just woken up here in Brazil, so what's happening?

Their gig will be live on internet (like Ustream?) ?

another thing that i realized here, seeing this small clips of videos..

Nothing about Wedding Bells, right?

I remember Chris said that 'Wedding Bells' has not been completed and won't be.

We've got like 5~6 new songs now. I don't know where people get songs name but I think they're all right.

Rock Am Ring will be stremed on the internet.

Wait, has everyone seen this? THIS is Us Against the World, that other rocky song must be Up With the Birds

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KWe-kNpz14]YouTube - ‪Us Against The World - Coldplay live at Rock im Park in Nuremberg 2011‬‏[/ame]

Cartoon Heart (?)

Clocks

Yellow

In My Place

Princess Of China

The Scientist

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Lost!

Cemeteries of London

Politik

Hurts Like Heaven

Viva La Vida