✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (OUT THIS FRI(ROW)/SAT (UK)!!) - [Walking Man and Videos + GIFs + Scre

I am of the "it doesn't matter if someone does or does not like it" camp. I think we all (or most of us) acknowledge that Coldplay have DEFINITELY made better songs. But that doesn't mean this one is necessarily total shite in everyone's eyes. I don't think I'll be listening to it much, but hey, if you like it, go ahead and overplay it till you want to blow your brains out. And if you hate it, go ahead and throw it in the garbage.

Also, Aleluvscp, I LOVE your DP.

Very much true

and thank you :nice:

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree. Most of the lyrics have an upbeat feel, and then they throw in (not to mention name the song) Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. When I first heard that title thrown around months ago, I thought a song called that would have a more melancholy feel to it, maybe with a little "hope" thrown in; kind of like Christmas Lights. The words 'every teardrop is a waterfall' seem so depressing to me, I would ordinarily think it would mean that seeing someone you care about cry even just a little is heartwrenching. I wouldn't associate it with turning music up and kids dancing. Basically what you said... they just don't add up.

Yes I get what you are saying, but it follows the theme of "every siren is a symphony", etc. I understood it to convey a buoyant feeling, where everything negative can be turned to positve, hence a siren turned to a symphony and a tear to a waterfall :)

Yes I get what you are saying, but it follows the theme of "every siren is a symphony", etc. I understood it to convey a buoyant feeling, where everything negative can be turned to positve, hence a siren turned to a symphony and a tear to a waterfall :)

:) That's a great way of putting it.

Oh okay, I see. I suppose that makes sense now. Lemons --> lemonade.

Actually people are afraid to say they don't like it, which is why everyone is like "I didn't like it at first but I've listened to it 1240542 times now and it's starting to grow on me"

:dozey:

This. Just because it's Coldplay doesn't automatically make it a good song. And just because I don't like it doesn't make me less of a fan. The reason why I'm a fan is because I enjoy most of their previous music. I'm disappointed because I expected better from them, and know they can do better.

Yes I agree they could be called bad compared to other artists, but within the Coldplay catalogue I would say they are on par with other songs. Anyway I think the "feel" of the songs is often more important than the lyrics, and the songs makes me feel uplifted, so that probably makes me like the lyrics more :)

I agree that the lyrics are bad compared to other artists, but I disagree with the part about being on par with Coldplay's lyrics.

Compare "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you and everything you do" with "I turn the music up, I got my record on, I shut the world outside until the lights come on".

Compare "In a bullet proof vest with the windows all closed, I'll be doing my best, I'll see you soon" with "And all the kids they dance, all the kids all night until Monday morning feels another life."

Or more recently? Compare "Oh love don't let me go, won't you take me where the streetlights glow?" with "Don't want to see another generation drop, I'd rather be a comma than a full stop."

This is why I'm disappointed. And if you don't care at all about content or quality and just want a happy song, why don't you listen to Kesha? She puts out simple, happy, upbeat songs more regularly than Coldplay does.

I was wondering, if it would make a difference if we were told this was just a b-side? I think its a good b-side but maybe not a first welcome back single. I still can't make up my mind about it :\ and I dnt think that's a bad thing necessarily to be uncertain, cuz many coldplay songs needed to grow on me before I loved them. But I think for a first single announcing the album, we needed something that we are ALL sure that is good. We needed a song that we didn't need to think twice to love it. Clocks for example gave me goosebumps of how good it was. So while I dnt hate the new song and do like it, I dnt necessarily LOVE it and wish I felt the way i felt with clocks.

But I also gotta say this song is stuck on my head! :D

I think there's still hope for the album, and im definitely still excited! :D the rest of the songs aren't defined by this one!

I agree that the lyrics are bad compared to other artists, but I disagree with the part about being on par with Coldplay's lyrics.

Compare "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you and everything you do" with "I turn the music up, I got my record on, I shut the world outside until the lights come on".

Compare "In a bullet proof vest with the windows all closed, I'll be doing my best, I'll see you soon" with "And all the kids they dance, all the kids all night until Monday morning feels another life."

Or more recently? Compare "Oh love don't let me go, won't you take me where the streetlights glow?" with "Don't want to see another generation drop, I'd rather be a comma than a full stop."

This is why I'm disappointed. And if you don't care at all about content or quality and just want a happy song, why don't you listen to Kesha? She puts out simple, happy, upbeat songs more regularly than Coldplay does.

The lyrics you mentioned do not seem any more complex to me than those in the new single, but as I said this is all very subjective. Personally I have never seen lyrics as Coldplay forte , but I do like the lyrics in ETIAW and I know I am in the minority here, but alas there it is :)

Tears don't have to be associated with sadness. I thought people knew that? I've often found myself crying because of how happy I was. Or because of how funny something someone said was. Just like a waterfall isn't sad. it's exhilarating, exciting, noisy, compelling, heart-racing. Anything but sad/depressing. :P

Tears don't have to be associated with sadness. I thought people knew that? I've often found myself crying because of how happy I was. Or because of how funny something someone said was. Just like a waterfall isn't sad. it's exhilarating, exciting, noisy, compelling, heart-racing. Anything but sad/depressing. :P

Yes, that is what I thought at first as well, but I could not envision sirens as something positive, so if we follow the siren analogy, tears (of presumed sadness) are turned into waterfalls, thanks to the power of music and those reassuring UFO lights :)

It's a great track and it's left me really excited for the album.

As a lead single though I don't think it has a strong enough melody. I'm hoping the best is still to come, and this will be the "Violet Hill" of the album... :cool:

Guest kmm1482

This is a definite "festival" single. As a first single, it's good, but I think the best is yet to come.

This. Just because it's Coldplay doesn't automatically make it a good song. And just because I don't like it doesn't make me less of a fan. The reason why I'm a fan is because I enjoy most of their previous music. I'm disappointed because I expected better from them, and know they can do better.

This is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. How can you compare lyrics - they all have their own meaning and interpretation.

The negativity on this forum today has been shocking. People saying 'I know Coldplay can do better' what are you talking about?? No you don't, you don't no them, your not in the studio with them. I can take people saying they don't like the song but some people's comments have been harsh and bitter. Coldplay are moving on, they can't keep making Parachutes every three years, every band goes through an evolution. Deal with it.

Personally I like the song and I think its spot on.

The negativity on this forum today has been shocking. People saying 'I know Coldplay can do better' what are you talking about?? No you don't, you don't no them, your not in the studio with them.

We know they can do better, cause we've all heard them do better in the past.

You don't have to be a fucking psychic.

well if you think they can't do better then who's the bad fan? :laugh3:

Of course they can do better, we've heard the result of that. They can create beautiful music, very different to this new song. I still hope this won't be part of the album and it was just created for the festivals and as a summer song, not more than that.