✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Major Minus: LISTENING PARTY! Countdown to Thursday 23rd June, 9pm (BST)

busybeeburns

I like it . . . . but it sounds really weird. They should NEVER mess with Chris's voice EVER. End of story.

But I do like the duet with Will and towards the end there's this cool synth-scream thing. The 'crocodiles' part sounds better live, and Jonny's echoes were flippin' epic at Rock am Ring.

So eh, cool song, but I think it's better live :shrug:

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it . . . . but it sounds really weird. They should NEVER mess with Chris's voice EVER. End of story.

But I do like the duet with Will and towards the end there's this cool synth-scream thing. The 'crocodiles' part sounds better live, and Jonny's echoes were flippin' epic at Rock am Ring.

So eh, cool song, but I think it's better live :shrug:

Vocals

Wayyy overproduced.

I, too, like the live version.

I heard the vocals on this one and was like... seriously guys?

You know, if this song wasn't about the subject matter it is (always being watched, paranoia, etc), I don't think the filter on Chris' voice throughout most of the song would fit. But, due to what the song's about, I think it fits perfectly within the context of the lyrics. It's a dark song and the muffled voice just contributes to it. Not to mention at least one other person (Will) is singing with him in the verses. So, I think it works and fits (and I like it). But to each his own. I'm just putting perspective on the vocal filter so that it could give you a different angle to think about it from.

Don’t know if it’s my connection, but I only just came through :\

But ooooh I absolutely love Major Minus! That guitar....! :dazzled:

Will singing and the sound effect, I'm gonna love the edge it gave to Chris' voice. And like Rainy Day said, it fits the subject.

I needed this after ETIAW. Interesting choice to put this on the same EP, I think it's very different. (i.e. much better. :whistle:)

Am happy.:kiss:

It was a mess, I love COLDPLAY but when they start messing with the sound of Chris' voice, it changes the whole way I hear them and not in a good way. I am going to have to listen to it a few more times to give a full critique, but on a first listen I can say I am a bit worried of the direction they are going in with this album. When I heard it live, I was really excited to hear the recorded version. I think it's going to make it hard to get excited to hear the rest of the songs if they are all overproduced as much as this one is.

Guest howyousawtheworld
You know, if this song wasn't about the subject matter it is (always being watched, paranoia, etc), I don't think the filter on Chris' voice throughout most of the song would fit. But, due to what the song's about, I think it fits perfectly within the context of the lyrics. It's a dark song and the muffled voice just contributes to it. Not to mention at least one other person (Will) is singing with him in the verses. So, I think it works and fits (and I like it). But to each his own. I'm just putting perspective on the vocal filter so that it could give you a different angle to think about it from.

Good post. Very very good post.

This makes sense.

I think that I just need to let the song 'grow' on me.

But one of the things I love about Coldplay is Chris' voice.

This new production is really killing the music.

I know, the distortion on Chris's vocal doesn't bug me, I am open minded about those sort of things - but why so low in the mix?

Like ETIAW, some of the lyrics are unintelligble they are so buried in the mix?

Many have criticised the lyrics for being a backward step, are they trying to hide the fact by drowning them out?

Major Minus was AWESOME at Rock Am Ring (and no doubt will be this Saturday), but the studio version was a huge letdown.

After ETIAW? Not looking forward to the album.

After Rock Am Ring? It's okay, panic over - the album is gonna rock!

After Major Minus? Not looking forward to the album again.

What is going on?

Jeez. Forum is so slow . . .

That's a good point, Rainy Day--I think you just made me like the song more :P

I'm fine with the distortion . . . as long as they don't use it on every song on LP5 :uhoh: Chris's voice is too beautiful to be messed with, and it's one of the reasons why I love Coldplay so much. To me, distortion just drowns out the emotion that Chris and the others are putting into it.