✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate 'Major Minus' now!

busybeeburns

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the song so much more live to be honest. The sound popped a lot more. The studio version is too muddled. You can barely hear Chris's voice, Johnnys guitar or anything.

They also don't give him the same part after the first verses. Maybe they'll do another version of the song (ala Lovers in Japan Osaka Sun Remix) where they add those little bits in.

Who knows.

Live I'd give the song an 7 or 8. But the studio version is like a 5 or 6 at the highest. It's kind of a boring song...which I haven't felt a Coldplay song was since the X & Y era.

I'm agree! :thinking:

But VLV album was good, better than ETIAW and MM...

I also preferred the live version but I wouldn't go to the extremes that some people have. I'd say live version 8/10 and studio version 6/10. So about a 7 overall. The vocals don't really bother me that much, but something about the overall production has really sucked the life and energy out of the song.

Still a million times better than ETIAW though.

Well after SEVERAL listens I'm ready to rate. I gave it a 5/10. Its drastically better than Every tear drop, but its by no means perfect. I'm with most people on the voice distortion thing. Its unnecessary, Chris has an amazing voice and this effect simply adds nothing to the song, resulting in the live version being much more powerful.

I enjoy the eerie vibe of the song, but once again heavy handed production gets in the way. And yes Eno's stamp is all over this. Its one thing for a producer to encourage a band to try new things, its another to just flat out make it sound like the producer had a hand in writing the song, and his influence, for me anyway, is getting old.

Overall much better than the last song, but really that's not saying too much, so I'm going to have to wait to hear MTM.

again seems to be an 8 in the poll,as ETIAW

I loved when listened to it live,

Studio version vocals dont convince me at all.

But the studio instrumental and UHHH part is brilliant.

Ill give it an 8 :D

Could have been a 9 or a 10 ...

I love it! Case closed..it has a haunting sound, unlike the 1st single "Every Teardrop..." (Petet Allen'esqe 'I Go to Rio" - That's an ok song...by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/TfJ1wFb1kQI?hd=1

(Studio version, dubbed over Live concert in Germany )

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TfJ1wFb1kQI?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cpbanner.gif

Live version was better for sure, I'm getting really annoyed with how Chris' voice keeps getting altered in the studio recordings. I don't mind having voice alterations if it makes sense in the context of the song. For example Everything In It's Right Place and Kid A from Radiohead's Kid A album both had voice altering but it made sense and related to what the songs were about.

It seems that the voice alterations on ETIAW and Major Minus were added just for the sake of it with no real reasoning behind it. I'm glad Moving to Mars had Chris' natural voice used, it's one of the reasons that makes it the best song on the EP for me.

@Cleggy

There is of course not the natural voice of Chris in Moving to Mars, there are also some effects!

And the voice in MM fits perfectly (!!!) into the topic, with regard to the "paranoia-section" --> with the stairs...

Love MM!