✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

I don't think the size of the arenas they play shoud influence on the sound of the album. I guess one of the complains I have about MX is just how huge the band tries to sound on songs like Paradise and ETIAW. You can have big music without trying too hard, and they've alredy proved it on many other ocasions, I just think that sometimes they try a bit too hard to have huge sing alongs, maybe on the next album they could use less group singing (don't get me wrong I love it but I think we've had enough) and OOOOHHHHHs, we all know they are better than this.

:nod:

There are songs which manage to sound awesome even without all the "Oooohs" and "Aaaaaahs" such as Daylight, Glass of Water, Square One to name a few.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the size of the arenas they play shoud influence on the sound of the album. I guess one of the complains I have about MX is just how huge the band tries to sound on songs like Paradise and ETIAW. You can have big music without trying too hard, and they've alredy proved it on many other ocasions, I just think that sometimes they try a bit too hard to have huge sing alongs, maybe on the next album they could use less group singing (don't get me wrong I love it but I think we've had enough) and OOOOHHHHHs, we all know they are better than this.

True, I felt like when they fount out that the OOOHHS on Viva La Vida worked very well they tried to implant them as well on more than half of MX and that makes is maybe a bit too much.

Disagree here. Playing in the big venues thing works only for people that come to the show and can experience it there and then. When they quit one day(the band) and don't perform live anymore what am I supposed to do with bunch of songs like Charlie Brown or Paradise? Okay, I'm not a fan of these in particular but I do like cheerful music, I don't think they are made to create only depressing stuff BUT having in mind only live performance when recording songs is a major disadvantage. I have been to their gig twice, one being this year, so I think I know what I'm talking about. ETIAW did sound great but only because of the general atmosphere at the show, ETIAW alone as a song that kicks off when my iPod is in shuffle mode is boring. To sum it up, my objection is primarily to them neglecting quieter stuff just because it wouldn't be that great live. I have nothing against songs that are loud and fast. Just that it shouldn't be the basic premise for their future albums. I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post and made you or anyone read something irrelevant to your reply, which I hope is not the case.

I totally get you. You're right. We need music forever, not for one night.

But I agree with Superfitz a little more. It's about the balance, and an acoustic album is clearly not the right direction for a band of Coldplay's stature to head in after a upwards trajectory of Parachutes, A Rush of Blood, X&Y, Viva, MX.

I also get you too. The biggest they ever tried to go was X&Y and I fucking hated it. :P

But as huge as MX is, it's not self-indulgent. Every Teardrop could easily go on for another minute and milk that glorious ending. Paradise could bring the chorus sooner and loop it to death. Princess of China only has one chorus. No track excedes four minutes, and the album is only about 42, infamously.

They may be huger than huge, but it's not like they're it's an unnatural fit. If you want something that's desperately big, listen to Glasvegas's last album. That's just embarrassing.

I just wonder how many people calling for a folk or acoustic record have seen Coldplay live in the last couple of years.

They're on top of their game, playing the best they ever have, and in the biggest venues they've ever played in.

Quieter music does not work in these arenas; Viva La Vida, Paradise, Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven, Lovers In Japan does.

Sure, the acousticky section in the middle works, but I'd much rather see classics in this bit. I saw Don't Panic and Warning Sign on this tour, Green Eyes and The Hardest Part on the last. New acoustics just won't be as good, judging by UATW and UIF.

I've seen them twice this past summer. I don't really think any of their quite music has been a 'big' thing at their concerts since X&Y. Most the people that come are always looking for the ones you hear on the radio and television.

Of course, I understand what you're getting at. I didn't really think through it all the way.

New acoustics just won't be as good, judging by UATW and UIF.

the quieter acoustic songs on MX were written at the very end of the recording process as a counterbalance to the bigger songs and had nothing to do with the original acoustic stuff they were working on very early on. how THEY sounded, we will never know. maybe they were great.

plus the band will not do an acoustic record now. that im 100% sure of. i think they will continue with the sound of MX and as a way of evolving, maybe go even further into pop territory and try hip-hip or R&B even on a few tracks

the quieter acoustic songs on MX were written at the very end of the recording process as a counterbalance to the bigger songs and had nothing to do with the original acoustic stuff they were working on very early on. how THEY sounded, we will never know. maybe they were great.

plus the band will not do an acoustic record now. that im 100% sure of. i think they will continue with the sound of MX and as a way of evolving, maybe go even further into pop territory and try hip-hip or R&B even on a few tracks

Yeeeah. I highly doubt that. People thought the band would expand on Viva, but it took a (big) turn.

^^Unfortunately, I have to agree. I'd go so far as to say they're done with pre-Viva days for good. I don't think that's the kind of sound they would settle for at the end of the day, even though it defined them for many years. However, the idea of their delving into hip hop is as repugnant to me as that of "folky" Coldplay.

You think? I reckon UFO was one of the first in production, same with Up With The Birds, though obviously, that one's two songs in one.

This is what every band in the world does, I reeeally don't know why people are calling for LP6 to sound like the old stuff. To paraphrase Jay-Z, "If you like my old shit, buy my old album."

You think? I reckon UFO was one of the first in production, same with Up With The Birds, though obviously, that one's two songs in one.

This is what every band in the world does, I reeeally don't know why people are calling for LP6 to sound like the old stuff. To paraphrase Jay-Z, "If you like my old shit, buy my old album."

yeah its what Guy said in an interview. i was surprised too!

love jay's quote very true. but their older stuff was just better simply put. but no matter how much we plea they're not going back it seems so you're right its pointless to call for LP6 to sound like the old stuff

yeah its what Guy said in an interview. i was surprised too!

love jay's quote very true. but their older stuff was just better simply put. but no matter how much we plea they're not going back it seems so you're right its pointless to call for LP6 to sound like the old stuff

It's almost futile talking about them going in a "pop" direction, because who knows what pop will sound like in 2015? In 2008, there was still rock in the charts, it was still a driving force, and Violet Hill was at home in that chart. Fast forward to 2011, nothing, so who knows what it'll be like when the next album's out. Jazz-dubstep could be in by then :P

^ For the first time in years I can see some good bands from America taking some place there with the Indie Pop sound like Foster The People and Fun. Maybe there'll be more space in america for alternative music in some years, I can see no hope for the UK right now though :(

We're still living in your shadow at the moment. Hopefully with the Olympic effect, we'll have another Cool Britannia moment soon, but I can't see it happening under our dictatorship of a government.

We still have bands coming through. The XX, The Vaccines, Two Door Cinema Club, Alt-J, Django Django, Metronomy, The Horrors, Tribes, Spector... indie's just not in at the moment, but we're working on it :P

If you see the information regarding LP6 that I've dug up online, you'll see that LP5 almost definately won't be their last album, as in 2013 (they are taking the whole year off! Lazy buggers!! Joking - I would never say something like that and mean it!! LOL!! :D), it is a hiatus, which is basically a break. And a break is like a rest from doing something, in Coldplay's case making music, so they can't have a break and not release any more material can they? Then it's not a rest!!

Did any of that make sense??

But, yeah, I do think LP6 or maybe 7 if they can be bothered will be their last! :bigcry:

Is there a smiley that commits suicide, or do I just have to use the :bigcry: one?! XD

I'd be shocked if there wasn't LP6 on their agenda. However, it will be by far the most decisive album in the band's career seeing as there is a huge gap between the newly recruited MX era fans as well as the older fans that see their latest output as a way the band should stick with and those fans that are left on tenterhooks after MX and are ready to walk out on Coldplay if another album heads in the same direction. Once LP6 is out, anything is possible.

I know a lot of people don't like the latest album, but there aren't many bands that I completely lose interest in, I don't know about anyone else. I have preferred albums, of course though.

I think a lot of people see their relationship with Coldplay as like a marriage. Like they're ready to split if Coldplay keep bringing strays in like Rihanna and Jay-Z. Don't know about anyone else, but I'm in an open relationship with the band :P

Coldplay were the first and for a long time the only band that made me completely lose myself in their music and I grew to regard them as something more than just a band. So of course when some change takes place I tend to take it personally and it influences our 'relationship'. I will not decide to completely fall out of love with them if they make another crappy album as love or infatuation isn't really a matter of decision but I will certainly be gutted and won't care about their music anymore, which is a sad way for things to end. I hope their next album puts my suspicions to rest and restores my faith in them.

Coldplay were the first and for a long time the only band that made me completely lose myself in their music and I grew to regard them as something more than just a band. So of course when some change takes place I tend to take it personally and it influences our 'relationship'. I will not decide to completely fall out of love with them if they make another crappy album as love or infatuation isn't really a matter of decision but I will certainly be gutted and won't care about their music anymore, which is a sad way for things to end. I hope their next album puts my suspicions to rest and restores my faith in them.

I love them so much too, but there's nothing being taken away. They're still put out new stuff, they're not tainting themselves for me.

Be that as it may, I would like to get their 'In Rainbows' or 'Abbey Road' before they quit. I still believe they can top any of their previous albums, especially MX which I've seen somewhere being referred to as their masterpiece (*snort*). Yes, I hold out the hope that LP6 will be entitled to that privilege.