✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love a more darker Coldplay, more songs with nice build up like 42 and then totally rocking. More Violet Hill/Major Minus/GPASUYF but also one or 2 nice singalongs like The Scientist and Fix You. The boys must use their full capacity, I feel like Will and Guy don't show on MX what their full capacities are.

I'd love a more darker Coldplay, more songs with nice build up like 42 and then totally rocking. More Violet Hill/Major Minus/GPASUYF but also one or 2 nice singalongs like The Scientist and Fix You. The boys must use their full capacity, I feel like Will and Guy don't show on MX what their full capacities are.

I'd like to see this, but I'm not sure about a whole album in that direction. It's not very... them. :\

Guest howyousawtheworld
I'd love for them to do folk.

I guess why not. At least it can have that "folky" feel to it. Cemeteries of London being the perfect example of an olde English folk tune. And it's dark, very dark! Without doubt one of Coldplay's best ever songs. In my top three. Prospekt's March is another song which is beautifully done in a very old English manner. I can only hope Coldplay channel more of their inner Englishness (I know Guy is, like me, Scottish but I'm sure he knows that sound well) and produce something that matches the pastoral beauty of England's "green and pleasant land". They are after all a British band and should look closer to home for their influences rather than the pop and r'n'b scene which while enjoyable in the likes of Charlie Brown and Paradise etc, doesn't have that long lasting appeal or feeling the way songs like Prospekt's March or Cemeteries of London do. They captured something special in those Viva sessions so I'm disappointed that it was discontinued completely with MX. Very disappointed. They really should have persued and progressed one of or some of those Viva themes.

Whoops! Just realised - if they take all of 2013 off, then it would be like 4 years before they do another album, as you know artists usually leave about 2-3 years between albums. Unless they don't write their won music, in which case, they just sing what they're told to sing and have like 25 people or something like that to write the songs for them! LOL!!

Isn't Chris Martin an artist that suddenly wakes up at night because he's hearing an interesting melody in his head? He can never stop songwriting for a year :stunned:. He will always have stuff going on in his head, and melody's/ideas on a recorder or something..

I guess why not. At least it can have that "folky" feel to it. Cemeteries of London being the perfect example of an olde English folk tune. And it's dark, very dark! Without doubt one of Coldplay's best ever songs. In my top three. Prospekt's March is another song which is beautifully done in a very old English manner. I can only hope Coldplay channel more of their inner Englishness (I know Guy is, like me, Scottish but I'm sure he knows that sound well) and produce something that matches the pastoral beauty of England's "green and pleasant land". They are after all a British band and should look closer to home for their influences rather than the pop and r'n'b scene which while enjoyable in the likes of Charlie Brown and Paradise etc, doesn't have that long lasting appeal or feeling the way songs like Prospekt's March or Cemeteries of London do. They captured something special in those Viva sessions so I'm disappointed that it was discontinued completely with MX. Very disappointed. They really should have persued and progressed one of or some of those Viva themes.

I'm actually not a big fan of Cemeteries of London. It's good, yes, but I get bored of it really easily.

Viva was definitely a step in the folk-direction, but I get bored of Viva really, really easily, as well. It's not a bad album by any means, but I think if they were to improve on the sound a bit more, it'd be a grade-A album.

I think Viva was quite a successful attempt at pushing the boundaries and not dwelling on the same territory for too long but that's the closest resemblance Coldplay's album should bear to folk music. I don't think Martin's voice would do justice to that kind of music. So yeah, turning to folk would really be an act of desperation, that's to say if MX wasn't one, too.

I think Viva was quite a successful attempt at pushing the boundaries and not dwelling on the same territory for too long but that's the closest resemblance Coldplay's album should bear to folk music. I don't think Martin's voice would do justice to that kind of music. So yeah, turning to folk would really be an act of desperation, that's to say if MX wasn't one, too.

agree with everything you said. what they do next will be as significant as Viva was at the time.

as for going into folk, thats just ridiculous

agree with everything you said. what they do next will be as significant as Viva was at the time.

as for going into folk, thats just ridiculous

+1.

Viva's their best album. Ambitious, lushly textured and fantastic songwriting throughout.

+1.

Viva's their best album. Ambitious, lushly textured and fantastic songwriting throughout.

yeah after X&Y everyone was anxious to see where they take their careers next and the outcome couldn't have been more triumphant. of course X&Y disappointed a lot of people and how Viva turned out was decisive for them.

same situation again. some fans including myself were very disappointed with MX (not just the songs, the whole era and all their decisions) and unless they blow me away with whatevers next i don't see why i should continue buying their records

I can agree with that.

(For the record, I mean more of an indie-folk rock type sound.)

THIS. I LIKE MUMFORD A LOT, BUT COLDPLAY IS COLDPLAY AND MUMFORD IS MUMFORD.

I just wonder how many people calling for a folk or acoustic record have seen Coldplay live in the last couple of years.

They're on top of their game, playing the best they ever have, and in the biggest venues they've ever played in.

Quieter music does not work in these arenas; Viva La Vida, Paradise, Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven, Lovers In Japan does.

Sure, the acousticky section in the middle works, but I'd much rather see classics in this bit. I saw Don't Panic and Warning Sign on this tour, Green Eyes and The Hardest Part on the last. New acoustics just won't be as good, judging by UATW and UIF.

I just wonder how many people calling for a folk or acoustic record have seen Coldplay live in the last couple of years.

They're on top of their game, playing the best they ever have, and in the biggest venues they've ever played in.

Quieter music does not work in these arenas; Viva La Vida, Paradise, Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven, Lovers In Japan does.

Sure, the acousticky section in the middle works, but I'd much rather see classics in this bit. I saw Don't Panic and Warning Sign on this tour, Green Eyes and The Hardest Part on the last. New acoustics just won't be as good, judging by UATW and UIF.

totally agree with this.

They shouldn't do any acoustic song anymore on a record with crowdkillers like Paradise, Lovers in Japan etc.

But on an album with crowdkillers like Yellow, Trouble, the Scientist etc. it would work good!

Us against the World/Up in Flames are too slow and boring if you compare them to the great ones on MX.

Disagree here. Playing in the big venues thing works only for people that come to the show and can experience it there and then. When they quit one day(the band) and don't perform live anymore what am I supposed to do with bunch of songs like Charlie Brown or Paradise? Okay, I'm not a fan of these in particular but I do like cheerful music, I don't think they are made to create only depressing stuff BUT having in mind only live performance when recording songs is a major disadvantage. I have been to their gig twice, one being this year, so I think I know what I'm talking about. ETIAW did sound great but only because of the general atmosphere at the show, ETIAW alone as a song that kicks off when my iPod is in shuffle mode is boring. To sum it up, my objection is primarily to them neglecting quieter stuff just because it wouldn't be that great live. I have nothing against songs that are loud and fast. Just that it shouldn't be the basic premise for their future albums. I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post and made you or anyone read something irrelevant to your reply, which I hope is not the case.

I think they need to have a balance of loud stadium songs like Charlie Brown, Viva, ETIAW etc and quieter songs on every album. It's the same for any artist. An album in which every song is an up-tempo rock anthem is just as boring as an album in which every song is a quiet acoustic song. They had the balance right on MX IMO, even if they haven't played UFO or UWTB live yet they still sound great on the album whereas they might not be so great live.

I don't think the size of the arenas they play shoud influence on the sound of the album. I guess one of the complains I have about MX is just how huge the band tries to sound on songs like Paradise and ETIAW. You can have big music without trying too hard, and they've alredy proved it on many other ocasions, I just think that sometimes they try a bit too hard to have huge sing alongs, maybe on the next album they could use less group singing (don't get me wrong I love it but I think we've had enough) and OOOOHHHHHs, we all know they are better than this.