✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fucking love X&Y. Coldplay dared to make an album with a personal touch they hadn't done before, and still haven't beaten. It's their best, if you ask me.

It hasn't got a personal touch in the slightest! Everything is so overblown, so huge, every song cascades into a stadium-filling singalong, it's madness. Most songs on that record mean absolutely nothing, the words are just place-fillers for the melodies, and there's very little variety.

When have Coldplay had a personal touch? Green Eyes, Warning Sign, Everything's Not Lost, the "Yes I feel nervous" part of Hurts Like Heaven, Violet Hill, 42, Us Against the World, even Strawberry Swing sounds connected to a part of Chris Martin's life.

A song like Swallowed in the Sea however, is meaningless, rehashed rubbish. X&Y justified Coldplay's bad reputation. Yes, I'd go that far.

I think it would be interesting if they changed their whole approach to writing songs. They've said that they had Glastonbury in mind while writing MX. I think that's what formed the songs, why they wound up so BIG (a lot of them anyway). The way the songs would play live helped shape them. How about if they just write songs that move them and let the live show take care of itself. I believe that if they have emotionally honest songs, they can trust them to play well live.

^ This.

Although, I think that Glastonbury show was fantastic. I wasn't there, but it really was something special; anyone can release a good album - Coldplay have released four - but it takes something different to play one gig, and for that gig to be remembered. Which Glasto 2011 will.

I'd love to hear more songs like Major Minus and Moving To Mars.

I don't think that's where the strength of the band is. Both sound like undercooked ideas.

I don't want another LP like MX; I want an LP showcasing the new Coldplay sound for us to expect, so that I can stay up all night listening to the new LP saying "This is what the new album is gonna sound like? Sweet! :shocked2:"

They won't do MXII but you're right, that's what I live for as a Coldplay fan; the excitement of hearing fresh, exciting new material.

I respectfully disagree with you about X&Y. X&Y pushed Coldplay into an entirely new direction just like ROB. Is it different, yes, is it bad? Well that's all a matter of opinion. X&Y has a few stadium songs but other than that, they seem pretty personal. Also, @mrkjhnwht, I said "I'd". Meaning I would like to hear more songs like MM and MTM. I never said "We" or "Most Coldplay fans". The albums are what you make of it. We just can't go around telling others they're wrong. I'm not saying you are, but I'm just throwing that out there.

I think MX was a interesting direction to take. Viva was brilliant, but you can't remake that on each album. In a interview the boys said the albums represent their feelings towards life at that moment in time. I'm all for a unique sounding album like Viva again, but moving forward with a fresh canvas is the best thing to do. Now I have a question for you. I'm just curious that's all. When you listen to Coldplay's music, do you listen to it and compare it to previous songs?Or do you listen to it for pure enjoyment? I've found if you stop comparing their music to Parachutes and Rush of Blood, then all of it sounds enjoyable. I'm not going to listen to a song like Paradise and say, "This song sucks compared to Rush of Blood". No I'm going to say, "This is very different from Rush of Blood, I should try to enjoy it for what it is". You know what I mean? I'm not trying to undermine what your saying. All I'm saying is we have to accept what we are given and try to enjoy it to the fullest. Sure you don't have to like every song they put out, but we are the Coldplay's most dedicated fans(Making an assumption here) so we have to stick by them through thick and thin. Of course you don't have to but it would be nice, you get what I'm saying? :P The strength of a band is wherever you think it is. If the boys are enjoying themselves, we should enjoy the music too. Okay, I'm going to stop typing because I'm just ranting all over the place./ Rant over.

I respectfully disagree with you about X&Y. X&Y pushed Coldplay into an entirely new direction just like ROB. Is it different, yes, is it bad? Well that's all a matter of opinion. X&Y has a few stadium songs but other than that, they seem pretty personal. Also, @mrkjhnwht, I said "I'd". Meaning I would like to hear more songs like MM and MTM. I never said "We" or "Most Coldplay fans". The albums are what you make of it. We just can't go around telling others they're wrong. I'm not saying you are, but I'm just throwing that out there.

I can, and do, only speak subjectively, and when I voice my dislike of X&Y, I do so knowing that my opinion is not gospel. I simply think that's it's a dreadful album that sent the band backwards. Anyone is more than welcome to disagree with me, because as you say, it's a matter of opinion.

The same goes for my opinion of Major Minus and Moving to Mars; I started that sentence with "I don't think". They're alright, but they just sound unfinished to me, both lyrically and musically. I think it would be the wrong direction for the band to be heading in; I'd like to see something unexpected.

I'm sorry if I've offended you, but I've not gone round telling anyone that they're wrong. In fact, I've often backed up my opinion with why I believe such things. I apologise if I haven't implied respect for anyone, but it is there. I just don't necessarily agree.

I can, and do, only speak subjectively, and when I voice my dislike of X&Y, I do so knowing that my opinion is not gospel. I simply think that's it's a dreadful album that sent the band backwards. Anyone is more than welcome to disagree with me, because as you say, it's a matter of opinion.

The same goes for my opinion of Major Minus and Moving to Mars; I started that sentence with "I don't think". They're alright, but they just sound unfinished to me, both lyrically and musically. I think it would be the wrong direction for the band to be heading in; I'd like to see something unexpected.

I'm sorry if I've offended you, but I've not gone round telling anyone that they're wrong. In fact, I've often backed up my opinion with why I believe such things. I apologise if I haven't implied respect for anyone, but it is there. I just don't necessarily agree.

Don't worry you didn't. I just wanted to disagree to your point that not everybody thinks X&Y is bad. That's all.

LP6 will be a very pivotal album for Coldplay, I believe. If it's really good, then we may see two, three, or even four more albums out of them. If it misses the mark, however, and they're not overly pleased by it, they might just throw in the towel.

^ I see it as the opposite. If it's so great they don't think they can top it, they'll stop.

Exaaaaactly. That is Coldplay in a nutshell. :nod:

Why do I have a feeling LP6 is going to be really good? Even though their even-numbered albums have been their most popular/best, I have a feeling it will be outstanding. Oddly enough, before the Viva era was even over, I had a feeling LP5 would be somewhat disappointing. Weird.

I think it'll be interesting to see if they stick with the pop thing. They've always had hits but it's getting harder and harder to make an impact on the charts. They were almost lucky they had hits on Mylo Xyloto... it's only really because it fitted in with the state of mainstream music.

If they twist the formula, try say, symphonic rock, they could be abandoning two/three heavy pop hitters. Would Chris do that? It's always been so much easier, but rock's decaying. Coldplay might be the last 'rock' band to have a number one in this country :/

i really want them to take their time with LP6. take 2013 off and then spend at least two years after that working on new material. im not saying more time spent making it means a better album. No Line on the Horizon took 5 years and look how that turned out!! i know we are all too eager to hear new stuff but people need to be a lot more patient.

Hopefully we will not have to wait too long for the 6th. They seem to like each other and I see no signs of them not being together. It seems like a marriage between them so to speak- like a real family. MX was not my favorite other than it being a great epic fun tour with lots of dancing. They show that they have a range of music. Everything they sing sounds like them but AROBTH is so diff from MX-never thought in a million years they would do such an album. We know the times of rock isnt the same and they have to conform some what but you still see them in their music. As long as they are not compromising too much with their music and loving it as much as when they started- I know fans will love it also.

I think wanting to top the charts is a major impediment in creating good music. Music should come as a result of spontainety, not constraint. This thing about being the best band in the world really gets to me. I mean, I have nothing against it, I'd love to think about Coldplay that way, but it seems like they don't quite understand what it means to be the best and how to reach that point. It's just my humble opinion, anyway.

Hopefully MX won't get the X&Y treatment. When only one or two songs are played in future tours.

Well let's see. Charlie Brown I think is a no-brainer to stay in the setlist permanately. But after that, I don't see any other songs being a sure thing. My gut feeling is Charlie Brown, Paradise, and Major Minus will stay for future eras. Unfortunately, Hurts Like Heaven and Every Teardrop is a Waterfall are proper openers and closers. Which means they'll probably get replaced by LP6's openers and closers.

Well let's see. Charlie Brown I think is a no-brainer to stay in the setlist permanately. But after that, I don't see any other songs being a sure thing. My gut feeling is Charlie Brown, Paradise, and Major Minus will stay for future eras. Unfortunately, Hurts Like Heaven and Every Teardrop is a Waterfall are proper openers and closers. Which means they'll probably get replaced by LP6's openers and closers.

I agree, except I see ETIAW working in other shows. It could work.

I think Us Against the World will probably stay. Even if it's not played frequently in the future, I reckon they'll bring it back every now and then, like Til Kingdom Come and Green Eyes.

Agreed. And they'll Probably Keep CB and ETIAW since they're such crowd-pleasers.

They'll probably keep Paradise too since they keep most of their huge singles, but I wouldn't miss it if they dropped it.;)