✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

Originally Posted by Prospector;5271786

MX is actually one of the freshests albums I've heard in years, I would say it's the most different thing I've heard since The Killer's Hot Fuss, the way they fused eletropop into the classic arena pop rock that made them famous is amazing. I don't think it's their best album, but I think it's the Coldplay album that will most influence artists from now on. I really hope on the next album we get some of MX in it.

^ True. Remember when Will said in an interview that they need to demand the best from their selves and continue to invent new stuffs and sounds. Chris also said that people had already made up their mind of what Coldplay's musical style is so they tried something different this time. That's why they chose a title that has no meaning at all in the first place. That's something fresh :cool:

guys i respect your thoughts on MX and all but carrying on from MX would be idiotic. viva broke boundaries and it did it perfectly. but MX revolutionised everything about them and that sometimes works for a band and sometimes it doesn't. brother ali could go into heavy metal and come up with a masterpiece, but only if hes does it right. MX will only be remembered as a controversial album which drastically changed their sound. nothing more. as i said earlier people will still be listening to viva and the scientist even in 30 years time but nothing from MX

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I'm not saying it's a masterpiece (viva is) but it's a good album with a really fresh sound. Viva didn't broke so many boundaries, it was just just a new sound for them, MX is a new sound in music in general. Maybe Viva and Rush will be more remembered in 30 years, but for now MX will influence more artists.

Viva La Vida is one of the greatest albums ever and is extremely different than most albums out there. Still, it's often to compared to Sgt Pepper and the like. That's high praise but I can't think of one album that I would say MX is noticeably similar to, and I think that makes it so important.

I think too much of a burden was placed on Coldplay after such an enormous success with Viva.

This.

But Coldplay should realize that their true fans stick with them no matter how the world views them. Hence they should continue making more music. Hopefully we might hear something along the lines of Wedding Bells in LP6.... (I just want to hear it fully :()

Viva La Vida is one of the greatest albums ever and is extremely different than most albums out there. Still, it's often to compared to Sgt Pepper and the like. That's high praise but I can't think of one album that I would say MX is noticeably similar to, and I think that makes it so important.

:nod:

I

I know for certain he said back in early 2010 or 2009 that the next album would be cause for a smaller occasion than Viva. But we all know that small sounding album didn't happen and they pretty much did a 180 degree turn! I hope it's a much smaller occasion for the next album. I like Paradise and all that, but for god's sake don't continue that trend. Coldplay's magic lies in their timeless sound to songs. Whether it's Yellow, Clocks, Violet Hill or Viva La Vida they will always sound as though they were recorded yesterday.

The problem with Paradise and some other songs of MX is that I fear they won't be timeless and when you hear them back in 10 years time you'll comfortably point out that they were from the early 2010s what with all the dated r'n'b/synths involved.

I highly doubt they will ever really go back to the smaller, more acoustically driven sound. All four band members have statd at various times that they feel they've grown beyond that particular sound. I really don't think the band has much interest in that sort of music anymore.

A Rush Of Blood To The Head is Coldplay's OK Computer.

Viva La Vida is Coldplay's Kid A.

We need Coldplay's In Rainbows.

That means you've still got to wait out Coldplay's Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief.

Sometimes it's a long distance between two points. Coldplay may get where you want them to be eventually, just maybe not tomorrow.

Well since VLVODAAHF(2008) it took nearly 4 years to make MX and I dare to say it wasn't a real masterpiece.

IMHO recording an album after 21/2 years touring the last one is quite different than recording an album after a few years of inactivity, which was the situation with radiohead

Then MX is Amnesiac, which is the weakest Radiohead album IMO.

Yeah, I completely agree. Kid A is hailed as tremendous, and then Amnesiac was just eh. I've thought this since MX came out.

If Coldplay were to somehow Radiohead's footsteps, then the next two records are going to be tremendous.

Amnesiac is underrated I'd take it over the first two albums any day also the two bands are a lot more dissimilar than people think. Coldplay are turning more pop than 2000- Radiohead plus the style wouldn't suit them.

In terms of size/direction

Parachutes = Pablo Honey - debut

A Rush of Blood = The Bends - building on debut but turning 90 degrees at the same time, contains about three of the five most famous songs

X&Y = OK Computer - taking the band's sound to epic proportions

Viva = Kid A - reinvention

MX = Amnesiac - continuing the work of the previous record

Which would mean...

LP6 = Hail to the Thief - return to the old, but still in the vein of post-reinvention.

LP7 = In Rainbows - the beautiful medium of what the band has come to represent.

LP8 = King of Limbs - downsize.

In terms of size/direction

Parachutes = Pablo Honey - debut

A Rush of Blood = The Bends - building on debut but turning 90 degrees at the same time, contains about three of the five most famous songs

X&Y = OK Computer - taking the band's sound to epic proportions

Viva = Kid A - reinvention

MX = Amnesiac - continuing the work of the previous record

Which would mean...

LP6 = Hail to the Thief - return to the old, but still in the vein of post-reinvention.

LP7 = In Rainbows - the beautiful medium of what the band has come to represent.

LP8 = King of Limbs - downsize.

Uh-huh. This.

Coldplay has a bright future ahead of them.

It makes me a sad panda when I see Radiohead comparisons creep into Coldplay discussion.

The two aren't even tangible to begin with, so I don't understand how they can be compared. They are apples and oranges and not at all alike. OK Computer and The Bends are kind of similar to some of the stuff Coldplay has done. But Kid A, Amnesiac, In Rainbows, The King Of Limbs and Hail to the Thief are records that are completely and utterly alien to Coldplay. Coldplay never have done and never will make anything that sounds like that because its not their style. Coldplay tend to create music that is easy to swallow and I can't see them ever doing something as abstract as some things Radiohead do. And this isn't a diss towards Coldplay, I certainly prefer the way they do things.

Coldplay certainly will continue to evolve, but I think trying to compare their musical evolution to Radiohead is insane.

It makes me a sad panda when I see Radiohead comparisons creep into Coldplay discussion.

The two aren't even tangible to begin with, so I don't understand how they can be compared. They are apples and oranges and not at all alike. OK Computer and The Bends are kind of similar to some of the stuff Coldplay has done. But Kid A, Amnesiac, In Rainbows, The King Of Limbs and Hail to the Thief are records that are completely and utterly alien to Coldplay. Coldplay never have done and never will make anything that sounds like that because its not their style. Coldplay tend to create music that is easy to swallow and I can't see them ever doing something as abstract as some things Radiohead do. And this isn't a diss towards Coldplay, I certainly prefer the way they do things.

Coldplay certainly will continue to evolve, but I think trying to compare their musical evolution to Radiohead is insane.

yeah, like when someone compare Coldplay to U2 or Oasis and calls them radiohead-lite

I'm not comparing Radiohead's sound to Coldplay in the slightest. But both are festival-headlining rock bands. Size and direction are the only things I'm comparing, and even then, it's only noting similarities.

I'm not comparing Radiohead's sound to Coldplay in the slightest. But both are festival-headlining rock bands. Size and direction are the only things I'm comparing, and even then, it's only noting similarities.

Actually, I think in terms of size, scope, and direction the closest Peer to Coldplay is probably Muse. At least from their generation.

You can go on about Coldplay not being similar to anyone, and they're gonna have similarities and differences with any band, but the parallels between themselves and Radiohead are above for you to see.

I'm not saying they're the same. I'm saying what's written. Both went epic on LP3, both had a reinvention LP4. Kanye West did the same, doesn't mean he's anything like either of them, does it?