✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

I hope Coldplay don't go as abstract as Radiohead have...tbh I could barely listen to King of Limbs.

As a RH fan I have to agree :nod:

I really can't digest the first half of that album. But Coldplay will never go in that direction

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a RH fan I have to agree :nod:

I really can't digest the first half of that album. But Coldplay will never go in that direction

TKOL is beautiful, imo one of their greatest and most inspirational works

But I still hope Coldplay goes in their own direction :)

As far as I'm concerned, with Viva La Vida you had Coldplay's The Unforgettable Fire. We thought we'd be getting their Joshua Tree next... but they skipped ahead instead we got their very own Achtung Baby. Not that I'm complaining - Achtung is my favourite U2 album, and MX is my favourite Coldplay album.

I'd say Viva was The Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and the studio parts of Rattle and Hum all rolled into one. I mean these are the albums where Brian Eno's influence can be most clearly heard, and it's the same for Viva. I agree that MX is their equivalent of Achtung Baby, which leads me to believe that maybe they'll release a sort of 'extra' MX-era album or EP a-la Zooropa :wink3:

Then LP6 would be like ATYCLB. A sort of return to the pre-MX style but with new elements as well. Which means we would get Coldplay's equivalent of Beautiful Day :awesome:

I'd say Viva was The Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and the studio parts of Rattle and Hum all rolled into one. I mean these are the albums where Brian Eno's influence can be most clearly heard, and it's the same for Viva. I agree that MX is their equivalent of Achtung Baby, which leads me to believe that maybe they'll release a sort of 'extra' MX-era album or EP a-la Zooropa :wink3:

Then LP6 would be like ATYCLB. A sort of return to the pre-MX style but with new elements as well. Which means we would get Coldplay's equivalent of Beautiful Day :awesome:

If anything, MX is to Coldplay what Zooropa is to U2. I really don't think Coldplay have much interest in their early style anymore, all the guys have said as much in various interviews.

You can go on about Coldplay not being similar to anyone, and they're gonna have similarities and differences with any band, but the parallels between themselves and Radiohead are above for you to see.

I'm not saying they're the same. I'm saying what's written. Both went epic on LP3, both had a reinvention LP4. Kanye West did the same, doesn't mean he's anything like either of them, does it?

You must be right then. LOL.

So you MUST be right LOL.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. If you disagree, say so. Or have you got a problem with the confidence with which I make these convictions?

you made a fair comparison. leave it at that. haters 'gon hate

Thank you. I would like to know however why my statements seem to offend people, and why the situation is funny enough to warrant a "LOL".

In terms of size/direction

Parachutes = Pablo Honey - debut

A Rush of Blood = The Bends - building on debut but turning 90 degrees at the same time, contains about three of the five most famous songs

X&Y = OK Computer - taking the band's sound to epic proportions

Viva = Kid A - reinvention

MX = Amnesiac - continuing the work of the previous record

Which would mean...

LP6 = Hail to the Thief - return to the old, but still in the vein of post-reinvention.

LP7 = In Rainbows - the beautiful medium of what the band has come to represent.

LP8 = King of Limbs - downsize.

I was thinking about other bands, and some do this.

Oasis:

Definitely Maybe = debut

What's The Story = building on debut but turning 90 degrees at the same time, contains about three of the five most famous songs (Don't Look Back, Wonderwall, Champagne Supernova)

Be Here Now = epic proportions

Standing on the Shoulder of Giant = Reinvention

Heathen Chemistry = continuing the work of the previous record - with Oasis, that's only in terms of building on the band that they put together.

Don't Believe The Truth = return to the old, but still in the vein of post-reinvention.

Dig Out Your Soul = Beautiful medium... Well, it was on a couple of tracks, I guess...

And the downsize would be Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds I guess :P

Blur:

(if you discount the debut, just for the sake of this...)

For Tomorrow = First big record

Parklife = building on big record, but turning 90 degrees at the same time, contains about three of the five most famous songs (Parklife, Girls and Boys, This is a Low)

The Great Escape = epic proportions

Blur = Reinvention

13 = building on that

Think Tank = return to the old (culture-discussing, at least) but in the vein of the new.

U2:

(Let's start with War, simply because they went backwards with October...)

War = first big record

Unforgettable Fire = building on big record, but turning 90 degrees at the same time, contains about three of the five most famous songs (I can only really think of Pride to be honest...)

The Joshua Tree = Epic

(Let's discount Rattle and Hum, as it's a weird kettle of fish...)

Achtung Baby = reinvention

Zooropa & Pop = continuation

ATYCLB & HTDAAB = Back to the old in the style of the new

NLOTH = Beautiful medium.

And Songs of Ascent should be the downsize. It's difficult with U2 because they've released so much, and in my opinion, they've outstayed their welcome on certain sounds, and should've moved on sooner.

Massive Attack:

Blue Lines = debut

Protection = building on this, turning 90 degrees, but are there five famous MA songs, or is it just Teardrop and US?

No Protection = Okay, it's a remix album, but it definitely took trip-hop to new levels.

Mezzanine = reinvention

100th Window = building on this

Heligoland = back to the old in the style of the new

And you could say the recent Burial Vs MA EP was a beautiful a medium...

One more, Kanye West:

The College Dropout = debut

Late Registration = Building, turning 90 degrees, contains three out of five most famous songs (Touch The Sky, Jesus Walks at least...)

Graduation = epic

808s and Heartbreak = reinvention

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy = continuation, at least of the pain and honesty in his lyrics and the use of vocoder, singing etc.

Watch the Throne = Return the old in the style of the new.

I'm not saying it works with everyone, and you have to bend the rules somewhere along the line, but I think it's a pretty interesting formula for a good band, don't you? I'd also revise my original formula and say that you have to start with the first successful album of a band.

^ Wow, that actually kind of works with the exception of U2, I think you tried too hard on that one.

Well, like I say it's difficult with U2, because they've released so much, but the principle's the same.

I think if you count live albums too, it has the same effect. Portishead did two albums, a live album, then a reinvention, as did Arctic Monkeys. Interestingly, Jamie Hewlett and Damon Albarn from Gorillaz have recently said that the next album will be totally different. A reinvention? Maybe. Which album will it be? Their fourth.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope we don't have to wait to 2014. I hate this 3 year turnover thing :/

Why are we comparing to Coldplay to Radiohead, they will never be that capable, but U2 on the other hand is an much easier goal for Coldplay to eclipse in terms of musical output.

^^ They seem so vibrant and determined to make music now more than ever!

Sure Chris said that "bands shouldn't keep going past the age of 33" but he ate his words.

They can go on doing what they're doing at least until they're 40. Why not even 50? Look at U2 and Madonna...

Don't look at Madonna.

^^^ the Rolling Stones will perform until they die. what are they, 60?

Closer to 70. Jagger is 70 next year I think. I don't mind Coldplay going on to be honest. I don't know if I want to see a Chris solo album, some of his taste isn't to my liking.

Closer to 70. Jagger is 70 next year I think. I don't mind Coldplay going on to be honest. I don't know if I want to see a Chris solo album, some of his taste isn't to my liking.

I used to think I'd enjoy a Chris solo album, but these days, I'd be afraid to hear it,lol.

But maybe he could use it to get all his poppy tastes out of his system so Coldplay could go back to its pre-Rihanna glory.

I wonder what a Jonny solo album would sound like...