✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mylo Xyloto or Viva la Vida?

JackColdplay

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both have great pros and cons. Well except I can't think of any cons for Viva but nonetheless. Viva feels more sophisticated and has a deeper meaning. While MX is straight up and gets to the point. Both albums are superb. It all comes down to personal preference. To me Viva deals with everyday life, the good, the bad and the ugly. While MX deals with the problems of the bad and every little detail. Mylo is about freedom and banding together. While Viva is about understanding life(X&Y too?) and accepting all of it as a whole.

To me that's what the song Death and all his friends is about. The good the bad the ugly. You take what you get and stick it out until your strength is gone and fall down(no disrespect towards anybody).

Personally, I have been conflicted the day MX came out. I listened to Coldplay before Viva. But I wasn't really into them until they released it. It was my favorite album. And DAAHF and LITii were my all time favorite songs. But I do believe LITii to be Coldplay's greatest song. Both albums are in my top 5. Viva would be number 2 but X&Y is ahead of it(Sorry I believe X&Y to be CP's greatest album, sorry i'm an X&Y fan :P ). I feel if my favorite album is more than 3 years old than people will think that I listen to weird music. But just like Chris, I don't care. :lol: I could go on and about both albums but frankly, I rather wouldn't. /rant over :D

But if I had to chose which album is better, Viva hands down. The album feels like an adventure waiting to fly up. It's like a spirit of adventure.

^ no need to be sorry :lol:

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was MX has my favorite song on it. Hurts Like Heaven. Viva has my favorite arkwork and X&Y/MX are my favorite albums. Disreguard what I saod earlier. I hope I'm not sounding wishy washy. I tend to say things I don't mean.

Music - VLV, I think it was much more original and each track was unique and crucial to the album in their own way. Plus, no track from MX can replicate the energy that Viva La Vida's chant produces live.

Live- MX. I'm not a very good judge at this one, I didn't see them live during VLV. I saw the MTV Unplugged concert from Japan (?) and liked that, but the MX concert I saw (and the recordings from Glastonbury and Madrid) just get me so excited in a way I can't explain...

Clothes- MX, all the way. I love that one can create Mylo Xyloto shirts in any which way, yet they still tie in to MX.

Artwork - MX. I love the colors and the limitless style. I also love the way that the artwork can be easily transmitted to the stage through the piano and the walkway/wall.

So I suppose MX over VLV, though I honestly love them both in their own way.

Viva era definitely felt more classy and original, Prospekt's March (EP and the song itself) was a masterstroke. However MX definitely has better guitar work for the most part, especially HLH, and the songs are better constructed in some places. Production I'd say overall Viva La Vida wins over MX. Live- definitely MX. Artwork, equal. Clothes, equal. Videos, MX seems more polished and professional, mostly just like LiTii and Strawberry Swing from Viva era, and they were closer to MX. However, Viva La Vida had more B-Sides, and all of them were awesome. Moving To Mars is a firm favourite of mine, but... just sayin'...

I would have to say MX.. I am keeping in mind the 'now' factor but still after thinking it over, I would say MX by a hair. I loved the Viva era but even during the era I wanted Coldplay to come up with something more..'fun'. Like songs that were up beat and you can rock out too - similar to the killers for example. X&Y had a couple (white shadows and talk) and I was hoping the new album would fill the void I haves. Well sure enough, MX came through and came out with amazing songs like CB and HLH..

The album is just more fun overall and I love the new outfits, upbeat songs, and ideas. You can really tell the band is having more fun, especially during the live shows, than any other album, you can tell by the interviews. This was a lot longer than I expected lol, and sorry for the lack of paragraphs, I'm typing from my phone. Anyway I'm a huge CP fan and I supprt anything and everything they do and I believe they made a wise choice creatin music that they knew they would love without worrying what critics would say.. What other band can just make up words, ideas, symbols, characters, etc.. And make it all fit?? I'm just rambling now so.. MX > VLV

Viva. Definetly. Music, artwork, storyline, cohesiveness, clothes, stage design, music videos - all the best. I'd award MX first place in live performances, the energy and well-thought professionalism of the show top everything they've done before.

This MX era is great, but Viva era was better as a whole. A lot of people who visit Coldplay in concerts might not agree since they keep getting better and better live, but album-wise and song-wise, Viva was better and up there with A Rush of Blood. Mylo Xyloto is a great album but is devised differently.

MX for me - I found most of the songs on Viva a bit boring and experimental just for the sake of it, while it seems in MX the songs are a great mix of Viva style experimentation and classic Coldplay. Nearly a year on I'm still obsessed with almost every song on MX, especially ETIAW and Charlie Brown seeing as they are AMAZING live :)

In terms of music they are equal because of Prospekts March. Every Teardrop to me just put Mylo so high... But it can't beat Life in Technicolor ii, Glass of Water, Lovers in Japan, and Violet Hill. Without PM, MX

Live, MX.. Hands down.. though I do miss the entirely butterfly confetti

Clothes, tie.. I like the colors in this era, but Viva just had the badass look

Artwork... MX.. Again, hands down..

I still think they are more equal than it sounds, but in terms of this, MX

Viva La Vida by a long shot !!!!!

the album is a masterpiece , amazing music and beautiful artwork..

I really love the clothes in that era ...

though MX has a better Artwork but unfortunately I felt it was an album for children more than adults ... but still it has very good songs