✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Sky Full Of Stars!! (Out now - See first post)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K, new page. Let's ditch the leak talk. I think it's clear those for and against it are firmly in their opinions and not about to budge. Leak happened (whether we like it or not).

The song. Iunno, calling it the successor to Yellow and Viva was a little heavy handed imo. The song itself (which i've heard) was solid. Feels to me though, like it belongs more in the previous MX era than this new, low key GS era.

Yeah, it seems to have an energy more typical of the two previous albums, but for some reason it sounds more "controlled" (for lack of a better word): you don't have the huge wall of sound like in GoW or DLIBYH, and the melody is somehow a little bit... sombre. But again, the only thing we have at the moment is a crappy smartphone recording and I may well be wrong.

Yeah, it seems to have an energy more typical of the two previous albums, but for some reason it sounds more "controlled" (for lack of a better word): you don't have the huge wall of sound like in GoW or DLIBYH, and the melody is somehow a little bit... sombre. But again, the only thing we have at the moment is a crappy smartphone recording and I may well be wrong.

Oh god, the wall of sound. I think they've gone as far as they can go with this technique now. My band is going through the same issue with overusing a particular technique over and over

But look guys. We are on this forum and that is reason enough for us to be able to listen to it. We are already for the most part pretty damn good fans. We've most all been to at least one Coldplay concert, and probably given them some good money. I'm sorry, but I think I helped pay for part of that mansion in Malibu. I deserve a starry sky

yeah agree :nod:

also we deserve to stay in that mansion for one night :lol:

Someone was saying that Guy 'plays' the first chords of ETIAW and then stops. It does not mean that he is faking it. With the proper software (that they undoubtedly have, and more) you can start playing and then loop it, and then play on top, or change the loop, or anything. Is it live? I think so.

Whenever Jonny and Guy play keyboards, it is an extra layer on top—much like Chris' "tack piano" sound that he intermittently plays during Viva. The reality is that the synth parts during Paradise and Teardrop change way too often to be loops. Its a nice touch, which shows that the full band can play the full parts for each song, but sadly there's still a backing track.

Trust me guys, this song might sound out of place since you're hearing it out of context. There is a slow instrumental build before the song kicks in (the missing minute or so from Oceans that hasn't been heard yet), so it's not like this song barges in out of the blue. It fits with the rest of the album once you actually hear the rest of the album come before it.

Whenever Jonny and Guy play keyboards, it is an extra layer on top—much like Chris' "tack piano" sound that he intermittently plays during Viva. The reality is that the synth parts during Paradise and Teardrop change way too often to be loops. Its a nice touch, which shows that the full band can play the full parts for each song, but sadly there's still a backing track.

According to the Oracle, there are roadies playing synth and string arrangements back stage.

Q: R42 refers to his keyboard station. Is he responsible for setting off the bands click tracks, etc? And does he actually play some of the stuff we hear?

A: Roadie #42, a.k.a Miller, began roadie life first and foremost as Chris' keyboard tech. His job titles have included Midi Technician, Videographer, Pro Tools as well as #42. He does sometimes set off click tracks - as does Will - but he doesn't play anything live though Matt McGinn has been heard playing guitar off-stage. Miller always has so many things to do whether at the studio, at the show or for the website.

Trust me guys, this song might sound out of place since you're hearing it out of context. There is a slow instrumental build before the song kicks in (the missing minute or so from Oceans that hasn't been heard yet), so it's not like this song barges in out of the blue. It fits with the rest of the album once you actually hear the rest of the album come before it.

:nod:

Have you heard the album in the previous shows?

According to the Oracle, there are roadies playing synth and string arrangements back stage.

Q: R42 refers to his keyboard station. Is he responsible for setting off the bands click tracks, etc? And does he actually play some of the stuff we hear?

A: Roadie #42, a.k.a Miller, began roadie life first and foremost as Chris' keyboard tech. His job titles have included Midi Technician, Videographer, Pro Tools as well as #42. He does sometimes set off click tracks - as does Will - but he doesn't play anything live though Matt McGinn has been heard playing guitar off-stage. Miller always has so many things to do whether at the studio, at the show or for the website.

Exactly. Will or Miller cue the instrumental backing track (or "click" track), and the keyboards onstage have their own separate (MIDI) sounds that change for each song. The key distinction here is that the main riff you're hearing isn't necessarily the sound they're playing.

But the answer in no, nobody is faking anything onstage.

Just going through all the comments on here and social media, A Sky Full Of Stars has been compared to Yellow, ETIAW, Charlie Brown, Viva, We Found Love, DLIBYH, Joshua Tree, Don't You Worry Child and something by The Killers.

So what everyone is trying to say is that it's an "upbeat dance rock song" :D

Just going through all the comments on here and social media, A Sky Full Of Stars has been compared to Yellow, ETIAW, Charlie Brown, Viva, We Found Love, DLIBYH, Joshua Tree, Don't You Worry Child and something by The Killers.

So what everyone is trying to say is that it's an "upbeat dance rock song" :D

Interesting Macky haha!! Off topic: Do you know why the boys were crying in your signature photo?

Except for this performance. I doubt Guy is singing, it's clearly Chris.

[video=youtube;0LwqTtZuQ9A]

Indeed, except that Guy isn't singing to begin with. There's a whispered/spoken part in the track and that's what Guy is doing. For a clearer example, listen to the studio version. :P

Except for this performance. I doubt Guy is singing, it's clearly Chris.

[video=youtube;0LwqTtZuQ9A]

Nice! Haha yeah I actually got into an email bout with Debs over this. I called her out on her answer to this question:

Q. Do Coldplay have any backing vocals playing in their sample tracks when they perform live? If so, which songs?

Not vocals but there are obviously studio recorded parts to enhance the live performances - like the MX intro for example.

There are plenty of places where we hear the boys miming over pre-recorded vocals... I suppose if you want to compare it to the keyboard thing, they technically are singing, but in many cases the track of Chris is much louder!

Nice! Haha yeah I actually got into an email bout with Debs over this. I called her out on her answer to this question:

Q. Do Coldplay have any backing vocals playing in their sample tracks when they perform live? If so, which songs?

Not vocals but there are obviously studio recorded parts to enhance the live performances - like the MX intro for example.

There are plenty of places where we hear the boys miming over pre-recorded vocals... I suppose if you want to compare it to the keyboard thing, they technically are singing, but in many cases the track of Chris is much louder!

Yeah, it's really clear in the live version of Hurts Like Heaven, when it gets to the "Yes I feel a little bit nervous, yes I feel nervous and I cannot relax" you can clearly hear the studio version of him with the falsetto, dubbing over his singing voice.

Indeed, except that Guy isn't singing to begin with. There's a whispered/spoken part in the track and that's what Guy is doing. For a clearer example, listen to the studio version. :P

That's exactly the whisper I'm talking about. It's too much equal studio version to be Guy singing