✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Sky Full Of Stars!! (Out now - See first post)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When someone like Coldplay begin to lose it's own unique style and turning into something you can hardly call "music" with all those beat and loudness with narrow dynamic range - give it a second thought.

:(

Almost everything claiming to be "music" actually is.

I like music because it sounds good. Maybe that's why I like and listen to a lot of pop music, as well as most other genres, but c'mon man EDM is just a new, different style of music,

just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not "music".

It's not exactly 'one song'... since the Viva era finished there's been a certain duet that riled a lot of people, and 'Midnight' is hardly a Coldplay original composition given it was the leading single for this album era. I agree Always In My Head and Oceans are much less 'mainstream' in style, but it's hard not to notice the lack of prominent guitar in a lot of what we've heard so far. One band changing their sound like that is totally fine, but with lots making the same decisions at once it feels more like a bandwagon than artistic innovation and evolution. I'm not convinced the changes in Coldplay's style here have been made by for the right reasons.

What Coldplay wants and decides to do is ALL that their "style" is.

We don't define what their style is, THEY do. :)

It's one single - and it will undoubtedly help keep them on top this year and on the radio non-stop. ONE SINGLE. ONE SONG. How the fuck are they losing their style? HAVE YOU HEARD OCEANS? ALWAYS IN MY HEAD? O?

I'm not deaf and there is no need to shout.

I'm not cheering for either band because they could be on top on the radio. Besides Coldplay hardly need such "praise".

I don't like this kind of music, you got it? And further we go there are less and lees coldplay in this album (Midnight, now this mess). What's next?

It's not exactly 'one song'... since the Viva era finished there's been a certain duet that riled a lot of people, and 'Midnight' is hardly a Coldplay original composition given it was the leading single for this album era. I agree Always In My Head and Oceans are much less 'mainstream' in style, but it's hard not to notice the lack of prominent guitar in a lot of what we've heard so far. One band changing their sound like that is totally fine, but with lots making the same decisions at once it feels more like a bandwagon than artistic innovation and evolution. I'm not convinced the changes in Coldplay's style here have been made by for the right reasons.

midnight its not the lead single, magic is, midnight it's not even a proper single, it was released just for record store day and for itunes, but it's described by the band as a single

the bandwagon thing is that there are a lot of bands that got tired of the guitar sound, demon albarn's debut solo album doesn't have a guitar in it

Exactly.

Oh no, one pop/mainstream/modern song and Coldplay is dead! What a bunch of sellouts!

I'm not a sellout. It's just a style I'm currently not comfortable with relating to Coldplay. I will probably learn to enjoy it, much like I did with Midnight, and it will be the only EDM song I actually like but I know it will be ridiculously overplayed over the summer and I know it will dampen my liking towards it even further due to better songs (in my opinion) to be neglected.

A Sky Full Of Stars!! (only R1 links)

I'm not cheering for either band because they could be on top on the radio. Besides Coldplay hardly need such "praise".

I don't like this kind of music, you got it? And further we go there are less and lees coldplay in this album (Midnight, now this mess). What's next?

You're not deaf but possibly a bit ignorant. Think about it. If Coldplay stuck to the similar style for their whole career it would get boring. With Ghost Stories they're exploring, going places. A band can't be stagnant.

2 out of 9 song + one hidden track + 3 bonus tracks are just like that, it's not like MX were the shit production was all around, you say that they are less coldplay in this album? they are a lot more coldplay in ghost stories than in x&y and mx

midnight its not the lead single, magic is, midnight it's not even a proper single, it was released just for record store day and for itunes, but it's described by the band as a single

the bandwagon thing is that there are a lot of bands that got tired of the guitar sound, demon albarn's debut solo album doesn't have a guitar in it

C'mon guys, Coldplay is not falling into any "bandwagon", and they're not any "less Coldplay" for making...more Coldplay songs lol

It's all Coldplay, and they're branching out and trying new things.

If it's not your thing, fine, but don't say that it's not "Coldplay" anymore, because it is! :)

:(

Almost everything claiming to be "music" actually is.

I like music because it sounds good. Maybe that's why I like and listen to a lot of pop music, as well as most other genres, but c'mon man EDM is just a new, different style of music,

just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not "music".

What Coldplay wants and decides to do is ALL that their "style" is.

We don't define what their style is, THEY do. :)

Well I'm talking specifically about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

To catch attention pop music nowadays are something loud and gibberish.

Well I'm talking specifically about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

To catch attention pop music nowadays are something loud and gibberish.

Eh, well I'm in with the dissenters I guess then lol:

"Analysis suggests that the loudness trend may have peaked around 2005 and subsequently reduced, with a pronounced increase in overall and minimum album DR (crest factor) for albums since 2005."

And just speaking from person experience of listening to a lot of pop music in my life, as well as many other genres,

all I've noticed is that music has gotten just simply better quality, maybe louder too a little, but I don't see how that's

a bad thing.

The article says:

"Which many critics believe damages the sound and reduces listener's enjoyment"

That really sounds pretty subjective to me..

Edit: Perhaps I'm a little biased in all this, I don't know, but first and foremost in music I'm listening for the music, and lyrics 2nd. So I don't mind "gibberish" in songs. Honestly a song could just be a person saying random words, but if it's a catchy song with a good beat, melody, etc. then I'm probably going to enjoy it.

Arrghh I don't like it :( And I like pop music, that's the thing! I'm not close-minded and I listen to a lot of dance music but this doesn't feel right in the atmosphere of the album at all, IMO. I feel like this should of been a laid-back acoustic song or just a single but not with the album. I guess I can't do anything about it, just gonna skip the song or enjoy it as it is. But I can't get over it, because so far I love every song and think this album will be Perfect but this song ruins it for me. :(

From the very little we heard of ASFOS, I really liked the sound of it. It sounded a bit like tracks on MX. I also don't think that just because it's been produced by Avicii it should be written off, personally I think that's why Coldplay have lasted so long, because they've managed to evolve their sound and make a different sound on every album without ever losing that crucial Coldplay 'core'. Which, judging by the sound of the other tracks we've heard so far, GS will definitely have.

On a side note: guys, we need to stop criticising Coldplay for 'selling out' or 'becoming too mainstream'. Coldplay are one of the most mainstream bands out there, not necessarily in sound, but in sheer popularity and public knowledge. Ever since Yellow they've been 'mainstream'. We just need to stop equating popular with 'crappy generic pop', because that Coldplay is definitely not.

From the very little we heard of ASFOS, I really liked the sound of it. It sounded a bit like tracks on MX. I also don't think that just because it's been produced by Avicii it should be written off, personally I think that's why Coldplay have lasted so long, because they've managed to evolve their sound and make a different sound on every album without ever losing that crucial Coldplay 'core'. Which, judging by the sound of the other tracks we've heard so far, GS will definitely have.

On a side note: guys, we need to stop criticising Coldplay for 'selling out' or 'becoming too mainstream'. Coldplay are one of the most mainstream bands out there, not necessarily in sound, but in sheer popularity and public knowledge. Ever since Yellow they've been 'mainstream'. We just need to stop equating popular with 'crappy generic pop', because that Coldplay is definitely not.

may I ask what songs from MX you were referring to? Because I can't think of any. Even Paradise which is pop doesn't sound like that for me.

i kind of agree with brenda on this one. it sounds a lot like trying to be whats on the radio in a pop EDM sense. but when i heard midnight for the first time i honestly didnt know how i felt about it. it was EXTREMELY different than any other song theyve done. but now midnight has grown on me and i love it. so lets just take our time with this ASFOS and see how we feel about it down the line.

Any claims that this track is mainstream pop and over-produced are accurate. You know what the difference is though? Coldplay warm us up with 7 vividly emotional tracks, and then calm things down with the delicate, sentimental "O". A Sky Full of Stars is simply the climax.

For some artists the "wall of sound" is their only trick, but Coldplay make us wait for it. Love it, hate it, either way: Coldplay do the explosive pop hits better than anyone else. And its not the only card up their sleeve:)

• Like 1

i kind of agree with brenda on this one. it sounds a lot like trying to be whats on the radio in a pop EDM sense. but when i heard midnight for the first time i honestly didnt know how i felt about it. it was EXTREMELY different than any other song theyve done. but now midnight has grown on me and i love it. so lets just take our time with this ASFOS and see how we feel about it down the line.

Thank you for your comment and I think you are right!! I'm just so excited for this album and have such high expectations but we all should give this song a chance and listen to it again.

Any claims that this track is mainstream pop and over-produced are accurate. You know what the difference is though? Coldplay warm us up with 7 vividly emotional tracks, and then calm things down with the delicate, sentimental "O". A Sky Full of Stars is simply the climax.

For some artists the "wall of sound" is their only trick, but Coldplay make us wait for it. Love it, hate it, either way: Coldplay do the explosive pop hits better than anyone else. And its not the only card up their sleeve:)

Well said!! :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Sorry, but this was just too funny.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure once we hear all of ASFOS, we will forget that Avicii was ever involved in this song.

I think as divisive as this song is turning out to be, everyone here makes good points. Coldplay, at their core, write pop music. Yellow, Clocks, Speed of Sound, Viva La Vida, Paradise, are all leading singles that are extremely radio-friendly and mainstream and nobody argues against that. They are great songs and each exemplifies how Coldplay has evolved as a band to keep up with the times. They are inspired by what mainstream music does around them and have always taken that mold and applied to themselves to produce some really quality pop tracks. The reason they are the biggest band in the world is because they are so good at this, at staying relevant.

ASFOS will be no exception, most people will like it and that isn't a bad thing. Personally, from what we have heard, I honestly don't like the song. People are throwing around words like "generic," and I have to honestly agree. Avicii is a great producer in house music and EDM, but that just isn't my style of music. My ears, and many others here who prefer Coldplay's alternative sound, just don't register the difference of this song and say, We Found Love, or the an Avicii song like Fade Into Darkness. Like modern country music where I am from, I just don't get it. But I am not going to let it ruin the album for me. I am afraid of how it will fit into the whole mood, and how much it will sound like an actual live band and not a computer looped around Chris' hooting. OMG THE OWL, CHRIS' HOOTING, I GET IT NOW!

I am glad people like this track and I wish I did, but I just don't. While it is disappointing, I have loved the sound of every other song for the most part! That is what the skip button is for. I do it for Up In Flames, I can certainly do it for ASFOS.

I don't like this route coldplays going. Ghost stories IMO kind of sucks so far, out of the 5 songs or so that I heard Always in my head and magic are the only ones I like. I try hard to like it but I don't.

The reason why I don't like a sky full of stars is because it is pretty much telling me coldplays just going for the sound of the moment. EDM and house music or whatever is extremely popular nowadays, this is coldplay trying to get in on that. They don't belong there, sorry chris! I guess thats why I wasn't too fond of MX either it just seems like they are losing the unique-ness they once had and trying to grab onto whats popular at the moment.

I think as divisive as this song is turning out to be, everyone here makes good points. Coldplay, at their core, write pop music. Yellow, Clocks, Speed of Sound, Viva La Vida, Paradise, are all leading singles that are extremely radio-friendly and mainstream and nobody argues against that. They are great songs and each exemplifies how Coldplay has evolved as a band to keep up with the times. They are inspired by what mainstream music does around them and have always taken that mold and applied to themselves to produce some really quality pop tracks. The reason they are the biggest band in the world is because they are so good at this, at staying relevant.

ASFOS will be no exception, most people will like it and that isn't a bad thing. Personally, from what we have heard, I honestly don't like the song. People are throwing around words like "generic," and I have to honestly agree. Avicii is a great producer in house music and EDM, but that just isn't my style of music. My ears, and many others here who prefer Coldplay's alternative sound, just don't register the difference of this song and say, We Found Love, or the an Avicii song like Fade Into Darkness. Like modern country music where I am from, I just don't get it. But I am not going to let it ruin the album for me. I am afraid of how it will fit into the whole mood, and how much it will sound like an actual live band and not a computer looped around Chris' hooting. OMG THE OWL, CHRIS' HOOTING, I GET IT NOW!

I am glad people like this track and I wish I did, but I just don't. While it is disappointing, I have loved the sound of every other song for the post part! That is what the skip button is for.

This. Ghost Stories as an eight track album is just as welcome for me.