✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rank Coldplay's 6 Studio Albums

jc90

Here's the dealio: GS is out and I think it's a pretty normal thought to try and rank where it fits in relation to the other major releases from Coldplay. There's actually already 2 threads comparing GS to MX and VIVA so I thought, lets do a mega thread comparing all of the LPs. Some ground rules off the bat:

-This is an opinion based thread. There is NO right or wrong. Do not take offence if someone has completely opposite rankings as you

-With that being said, you should explain why the ranks are the way you outlined

-Low album rank =/= 'I hate the album'. It can simply mean 'I like it less than the others'

-Feel free to give it a score

-Have fun. This is just meant to be fun not confrontational

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Rush Of Blood To the Head

Ghost Stories

Parachutes

X&Y

Mylo Xyloto

Viva la Vida or Death And All His Friends

I think i've got the exact same rankings as you. It pains me to put Viva last 'cause I love all the albums, but someone has to go last....

1. Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends 9/10 - To me it's a masterpiece, everything was right in this album, the the guys played their instruments at their best. It's the revolution of Coldplay and I think but I'm afraid has been their peak.

2. A Rush Of Blood To The Head 8.5/10 - This album is what Coldplay made who they are today. It has shaped them and defined them. Musically inspiring, dark and emotional)

3. Ghost Stories 8/10 - I can't really rank this album yet, but so far it's in my top 3 albums because it's so sincere and heartfelt and musically it's on a higher level than MX. The music reminds me of VLV and AROBTTH which is a good thing but they also keep evolving.

4. X&Y 7.5/10 - There are some really good songs on this album, but sometimes they are too much the same. Although this has been the moment Coldplay started experimenting with different (more electric?) sounds. Chris' voice isn't at his best on this album.

5. Parachutes 7.5/10 - It's not one of my favourite albums (some songs sound too much alike and it's a bit too slow at times) Although this album was the breakthrough for Coldplay. Most of the songs are musically really good, lots of guitar and the basslines are amazing. But it's just not one of my favourites. I can only enjoy listening the album at certain times.

6. Mylo Xyloto 7/10 - A fun album with some great songs and some ''potentially would have been'' great songs. It's a fun album to listen to, very poppy but musically I think their weakest album. It had some great hits (not unexpected because it's very poppy and very mainstream) Even though I love to listen this album, and I would easier listen to it than to Parachutes.

1. Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends 9/10 - To me it's a masterpiece, everything was right in this album, the the guys played their instruments at their best. It's the revolution of Coldplay and I think but I'm afraid has been their peak.

2. A Rush Of Blood To The Head 8.5/10 - This album is what Coldplay made who they are today. It has shaped them and defined them. Musically inspiring, dark and emotional)

3. Ghost Stories 8/10 - I can't really rank this album yet, but so far it's in my top 3 albums because it's so sincere and heartfelt and musically it's on a higher level than MX. The music reminds me of VLV and AROBTTH which is a good thing but they also keep evolving.

4. X&Y 7.5/10 - There are some really good songs on this album, but sometimes they are too much the same. Although this has been the moment Coldplay started experimenting with different (more electric?) sounds. Chris' voice isn't at his best on this album.

5. Parachutes 7.5/10 - It's not one of my favourite albums (some songs sound too much alike and it's a bit too slow at times) Although this album was the breakthrough for Coldplay. Most of the songs are musically really good, lots of guitar and the basslines are amazing. But it's just not one of my favourites. I can only enjoy listening the album at certain times.

6. Mylo Xyloto 7/10 - A fun album with some great songs and some ''potentially would have been'' great songs. It's a fun album to listen to, very poppy but musically I think their weakest album. It had some great hits (not unexpected because it's very poppy and very mainstream) Even though I love to listen this album, and I would easier listen to it than to Parachutes.

I like this. I'm gonna do mine as well but gotta pull some sleep now been hearing Ghost Stories 4 time in a row didn't catch a sleep.

1. Viva/MX

2. GS/

3.AROBTTH

4. X&Y

5. Parachutes

this recent trilogy is one of my favorites - AROBTTH is on the level of those 3, but I just love the leaps and bounds Coldplay has taken with their production style and sound in these last 3 albums.

AROBTTH (9.5/10) Beautiful album with solid pop rock sing alongs, ballads, acoustics, and alt-rock jams that all flow beautifully from start to finish. There is not a track I dislike.

Viva La Vida (9.5/10) Once again, I don't dislike any tracks. Flows beautifully with some massive hits but a few surprises and experimentation: the funky, danceable 42, the shoegaze of Chinese Sleep Chant, the badass guitar and creepy folk jam of Cemeteries. Very distinct and possibly my favourite Coldplay era.

Parachutes (9/10) Every track is great, from the hard hitting britpop songs of Yellow and Shiver, to the creepy atmospheres of Spies and High Speed, and finally the mellow, sleepy beautiful tracks.

X&Y (8/10) Some of Coldplay's best songs, and some of their so-so's. Love the spacey-electronic, harder hitting guitar tracks, Square One, White Shadows, Talk, Low. Some epic tracks like Fix You, A Message, Til Kingdom Come, all classics. But this album is overlong, and lyrically way too simple and sappy. Underrated? Yes. Some issues though? Definately.

Mylo Xyloto (8/10) Coldplay does pop rock like no one else can. Amazing unique production, some of their most layered and colourful work. Hurts Like Heaven, Paradise, Charlie Brown, ETIAW, Major Minus all show Coldplay's ability to still rock but stay modern. Flows incredibly well to tell the story, but a few tracks feel a tad overdone (POC) or half-assed (U.F.O, Up In Flames.) Great record with a few misses.

Ghost Stories (7.5/10) Coldplay keeps the pop going with a distinct new sound that is done very well. Lyrics covering break up can be spot on (O, Magic, Oceans, AIMH) but also unbearably simple (True Love, Another's Arms) Great electronics scattered throughout, especially with Midnight, Oceans, and O, but sometimes feel a little contrived or ho-hum, especially in True Love and ASFOS. Overall songs are not as consistently great as other records, though they are very good. The tone of the entire album too, despite being a break up piece, feels a little off, and the criticisms of it being "Chris' solo album," don't feel too far off, considering the band feels less present and more produced than ever.

VIVA - (9.5/10) absolutely brilliant album. not one song that i dislike

AROBTTH - (9.5/10) once again an amazing album, awesome songs and classic coldplay

GS- (9/10) solid album with one song (ASFoS) that i don' particularly like, but especially with "All Your Friends" and "Ghost Story" this is a very good album in which they go back to their roots a little bit while expanding their sound even further. Also a nice surprise after MX, and a great cohesive album that tells a story.

Parachutes - (9/10) another classic coldplay album, I like all the songs and it's a great first album, the one thing it lacks from the other albums is that there isn't quite as much of a story there, but nonetheless a great album.

X&Y - (8.5/10) While I still think this is a great album, and produced some great songs that I love (SoS, What If), it isn't quite up to par with their best efforts

MX - (7/10) while i respect coldplay's experimentation I think this album got too poppy and overproduced. While the songs aren't terrible I think they were trying too hard to make something out of a fictional story. Some songs were great (Moving to Mars, Major Minus, Us Against the World) but others were just too mainstream pop.

A Rush of Blood to the Head - (10/10) In my opinion, Coldplay's original style was the best. This was a great follow up to Parachutes. Every song on this album was amazing. No two songs are too similar. It starts and ends strong and never falters in between. Plus it has The Scientist, my favorite song.

Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends (10/10) - This album is an extremely close 2nd for me. In fact, I can't even think of a reason why A Rush of Blood is better. I love every song on this album and Prospekt's March. This was the perfect blend between the soft rock they started with and the pop rock the moved on to in MX.

Ghost Stories (9/10) - This might actually drop after a few weeks. Right now we're in the honeymoon phase haha. At first I was nervous about a whole album being influenced by Chris' "uncoupling", but due to recent events in my own life, I appreciate it more. Every other album though has had a healthy mix of happy and sad songs. I also feel like the techno/hip hop style drums don't really match the theme, plus almost every synth part could've been replaced by Jonny on guitar. However, the lyrics are so deep that they make up for everything else, and O is probably one of the top 5 Coldplay songs of all time.

X&Y (8.5/10) - The biggest complaint I hear about with this album is that all the songs sound the same. This would be an issue if they didn't mean they all sound awesome. Fix You is a classic for all fans, and What If and Swallowed in the Sea are two of my favorite. I also love that the album is more guitar driven.

Parachutes (7.5/10) - I wish I didn't have to put this album lower. I just don't know it as well to be honest. I enjoy the acoustic theme. I grew up listening to Yellow, Everything's Not Lost is one of my favorites that I'd like to see them play on the next tour. It was a great first album

Mylo Xyloto (7/10) - Not much to say about this one. Charlie Brown is a really good song, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall had great lyrics, but overall I just didn't like how pop it was. Princess of China is the only Coldplay song I will always skip over.

1. Viva La Vida (Prospekt's March EP aswell)

- Like most of you here, VLV killed it with every track. And I absolutely love the Prospekt EP!

2. A Rush of Blood to the Head

- AROBTTH is obviously brilliant, but I have to give credit to VLV as I believe it's a significant turning point in their musical career.

3. Parachutes

- For an album that was released in the early 00's it deserves to take the third spot. Why? Because it's gorgeous!

4. Ghost Stories

- I've been looping the album all week and I'm really enjoying it a lot! Still not as good as Parachutes though.

5. Mylo Xyloto

- Coming up with something new after VLV was a tall order and Coldplay did take it to a different level. I enjoyed the colourful synths and all but personally prefer more acoustically produced music.

6. X & Y

- Like the album, especially The Hardest Part! But someone has to take the 6th spot.

1. A Rush of Blood to the Head 88% - I always thought Viva was my favorite, but when I went from track to track, A Rush won. Not surprising with how many classics are in this one.

2. Viva La Vida and All His Friends 85% - I live this album thoroughly and every track is great. For me though, it doesn't have as many classics as A Rush does, which is why it falls down a bit.

3. Ghost Stories 83% - It might drop, but tbh, this album has gotten better in my books. I love the songs and I love the flow. Even ASFOS is fine for me. I think this is it's permanent place for this album at third unless its taken out by new album.

4. Parachutes 80% - Not surprised by this. A lot of classics and a few mehs. Still a wonderful record though.

5. X&Y 79% - This album has so many great songs, but there are also many bad ones. If they had just thrown a few away, it would be higher in my books.

6. MX 70% - By far the worst. One or two classics, a few solids, and the rest mehs. Still a good album, but their worst for sure.

I wanted to include my three fave songs from each album as well :D

1. A Rush of Blood to the Head 10/10

My 3 favourite tracks: Clocks, Politik, In My Place

2. X&Y 9/10

My 3 favourite tracks: Square One, Fix You, Talk

3. Ghost Stories 9/10

My 3 favourite tracks: O, Midnight, A Sky Full of Stars

4. Mylo Xyloto 8.5/10

My 3 favourite tracks: Paradise, Don't Let It Break Your Heart, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

5. Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends 8/10

My 3 favourite tracks: Viva la Vida, Lovers In Japan, Death and All His Friends

6. Parachutes 7/10

My 3 favourite tracks: Yellow, Trouble, Don't Panic

I wanted to include my three fave songs from each album as well :D

1. A Rush of Blood to the Head 10/10

My 3 favourite tracks: Clocks, Politik, In My Place

2. X&Y 9/10

My 3 favourite tracks: Square One, Fix You, Talk

3. Ghost Stories 9/10

My 3 favourite tracks: O, Midnight, A Sky Full of Stars

4. Mylo Xyloto 8.5/10

My 3 favourite tracks: Paradise, Don't Let It Break Your Heart, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

5. Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends 8/10

My 3 favourite tracks: Viva la Vida, Lovers In Japan, Death and All His Friends

6. Parachutes 7/10

My 3 favourite tracks: Yellow, Trouble, Don't Panic

Just out of curiosity, why'd you put Viva so low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, why'd you put Viva so low?

I still really like Viva but there are some songs on it that I consider among Coldplay's worst. (Yes, 42) without those it would definitely beat MX. (I'm gonna get so much hate :( please don't be mean)

I still really like Viva but there are some songs on it that I consider among Coldplay's worst. (Yes, 42) without those it would definitely beat MX. (I'm gonna get so much hate :( please don't be mean)

Personally, I love every song on it. Yes and 42 aren't as good as the others, but they're still good to me. I love how they both have points where they change dramatically