March 8, 201610 yr I'm a bit disappointed that everyone sees Speed of Sound just as a Clocks reshash. Yes, musically the notes in the chords are the same, just in a different pattern. But Speed Of Sound has an entirely different feel due to the theme, synths, drums, just the whole atmosphere being so different. Imho Coldplay didn't rip themselves off. I'm glad Coldplay made both Clocks and Speed Of Sound. Don't care if the chords are the same if the song feels completely different.
March 8, 201610 yr I just gave ID's Smoke and Mirrors a listen since it was being discussed here. It reminded me that I can only stand one man's falsetto in contemporary music....and that man is called Chris Martin. ID's vocal style is driving me crazy. Also, someone please teach them what a strong melody is. They have got rhythms all right, but this album lacks any memorable melodies. (As do many other current albums, I have the feeling. Coldplay is one of the melodically best bands)
March 8, 201610 yr I just gave ID's Smoke and Mirrors a listen since it was being discussed here. It reminded me that I can only stand one man's falsetto in contemporary music....and that man is called Chris Martin. ID's vocal style is driving me crazy. Also, someone please teach them what a strong melody is. They have got rhythms all right, but this album lacks any memorable melodies. (As do many other current albums, I have the feeling. Coldplay is one of the melodically best bands) Have You Ever listen to Mumford & Sons ? check out the first 2 album , i feel like you gonna enjoy the Folk rock musics :D
March 8, 201610 yr Have You Ever listen to Mumford & Sons ? check out the first 2 album , i feel like you gonna enjoy the Folk rock musics :D Funnily enough, I do know their previous sound and I didn't like it. I liked some tracks of their latest album though !
March 8, 201610 yr Radiohead+U2=Coldplay. At least ID takes influence from various bands. I think ID will do better in the music biz in the future than Coldplay did because each album so far has different sounds. Coldplay kinda had a slow start to fame. Yeah Yellow was a hit, but look at the live shows. Imagine Dragons has become an arena band only on their second album. Coldplay was playing a few arenas but mostly smaller venues during AROBTTH. Its not something to get upset about though because right now Coldplay is way more famous. The problem is if they make another mainstream pop album, theyll fade into the background like other pop bands. Nothing wrong with pop in fact i quite enjoy Twenty One Pilots which is entirely pop. The difference is that they use real instruments and have lyrics that mean something. Coldplays good but we are starting to see their decline.
March 8, 201610 yr Just saying, AHFOD has generic ripoffs as well. AOAL=Daft Punk (Specifically Get Lucky) Fun=Taylor Swift/Tove Lo Army Of One=Imagine Dragons (seriously) AHFOD=U2 (Okay, this one ain't generic, it's pretty good) Just wondering if this song rips off any musical artists. It's called The Unknown.
March 8, 201610 yr The only example of a band ripping off another band is American Authors' Best Day Of My Life ripping off Imagine Dragons' It's Time. They used a mandolin with similar percussion and everything.
March 8, 201610 yr The only example of a band ripping off another band is American Authors' Best Day Of My Life ripping off Imagine Dragons' It's Time. They used a mandolin with similar percussion and everything. SO TRUE
March 8, 201610 yr Haha :) No need for a band fight. We all know who is going to win on a Coldplay board after all. Like LeftRightLeftArchi says, they really aren't comparable, but what band is in the end? I must just have a different taste in ID songs than most fans hahaha I think ID has great melodies, but yeah, not as memorable (yet). They have a similar strength to Coldplay at making a hella catchy anthem. And it will be interesting to see how ID develop as a band since they are so talented. I don't think they deserve all the hate they get--but they need to make an album that sounds cohesive imo. S+M has so many great moments but they are just sandwiched between really randomly bad ones. I actually am with LeftRightLeftArchi on the AHFOD point too. The album is a bit too much of a mish mash for me and clearly cherrypicks genres. So that is a great point, and we could say the same for almost every Coldplay album. However, ID, I think like Mumford and Sons will fade out of popularity and won't ever win the critics like Coldplay did early on. I still like Mumford and Sons, who much like ID had mixed reviews with their first two albums. Their third was the make or break record and it was incredibly meh imo, other than a few good singles.
March 8, 201610 yr Haha :) No need for a band fight. We all know who is going to win on a Coldplay board after all. Like LeftRightLeftArchi says, they really aren't comparable, but what band is in the end? I must just have a different taste in ID songs than most fans hahaha I think ID has great melodies, but yeah, not as memorable (yet). They have a similar strength to Coldplay at making a hella catchy anthem. And it will be interesting to see how ID develop as a band since they are so talented. I don't think they deserve all the hate they get--but they need to make an album that sounds cohesive imo. S+M has so many great moments but they are just sandwiched between really randomly bad ones. I actually am with LeftRightLeftArchi on the AHFOD point too. The album is a bit too much of a mish mash for me and clearly cherrypicks genres. So that is a great point, and we could say the same for almost every Coldplay album. However, ID, I think like Mumford and Sons will fade out of popularity and won't ever win the critics like Coldplay did early on. I still like Mumford and Sons, who much like ID had mixed reviews with their first two albums. Their third was the make or break record and it was incredibly meh imo, other than a few good singles. Meh, only time will tell. Im pretty sure everyone saw Coldplay as another Indie Band after Parachutes was released and didn't expect them to stay relevant. It's just that Coldplay's commercial breakthrough came in so early with AROBTTH than other bands.
March 9, 201610 yr The releases for Record Store Day were announced today. http://recordstoreday.co.uk/media/2601/rsd-product-listing-2016.pdf A bit disappointed to find no Coldplay vinyl releases
March 9, 201610 yr Whether or not a band plays arenas during their second album tour is a metric for popularity, not quality. None of the mentioned bands imho come close to (at least early) Coldplay in quality, imho.
March 9, 201610 yr Just saying, AHFOD has generic ripoffs as well. AOAL=Daft Punk (Specifically Get Lucky) Fun=Taylor Swift/Tove Lo Army Of One=Imagine Dragons (seriously) AHFOD=U2 (Okay, this one ain't generic, it's pretty good) . you know you're right .. even Birds Towards the end is completely rip of of "Under Cover of Darkness" by the Strokes anyway AHFOD like Chris mention it before is about embracing all the sound that they love and all the stars that they like .. that is the concept of the album IMO i might be disagree with you about Fun and Army Of One .. if fun is similar to a song that will be that other song who Chris himself wrote it to Natalie Imbruglia especially in the part where she also sing " Didn't We Have Fun " as for Army Of One i don't see any similarity to ID .. in which song exactly are you talking about ? btw and for somehow I love Smoke + Mirrors more than Night Visions even if the first album had more originality into it .. i don't care about anything else as long as i enjoy the Musics
March 9, 201610 yr I'm a bit disappointed that everyone sees Speed of Sound just as a Clocks reshash. Yes, musically the notes in the chords are the same, just in a different pattern. But Speed Of Sound has an entirely different feel due to the theme, synths, drums, just the whole atmosphere being so different. Imho Coldplay didn't rip themselves off. I'm glad Coldplay made both Clocks and Speed Of Sound. Don't care if the chords are the same if the song feels completely different. It's a bit of a reach to imply the chords are the same "but in a different pattern" and when they're in a different key. I didn't bother reading the rest of this but I 100% disagree with whoever said Clocks and Speed of Sound are similar. Clock's refrain uses the same piano motif from the beginning. Speed of Sound motif is used as in interlude between verses, the chorus is a whole new beast. The chord progression is actually pretty unique, G-Bm7-D6-G-Bm-F#m7-G (Speed of Sound is in the key of D). Using the mediant along side the submediant isn't exactly ground breaking but in a rock song it adds some flavor to the mix. All in all anyone who thinks Speed of Sound is recycled is wrong, if I were to compare Clocks to anything it would be Charlie Brown. The only example of a band ripping off another band is American Authors' Best Day Of My Life ripping off Imagine Dragons' It's Time. They used a mandolin with similar percussion and everything. Hard to say since modern alt "rock" and alt pop is basically all the same. I see it as a bunch of hippies singing kumbaya with synths and "acoustic" instruments. I can't even listen to my local radio stations anymore. Well there's a classic rock station that I like but that's not the point.
March 9, 201610 yr It's a bit of a reach to imply the chords are the same "but in a different pattern" and when they're in a different key. I didn't bother reading the rest of this but I 100% disagree with whoever said Clocks and Speed of Sound are similar. Clock's refrain uses the same piano motif from the beginning. Speed of Sound motif is used as in interlude between verses, the chorus is a whole new beast. The chord progression is actually pretty unique, G-Bm7-D6-G-Bm-F#m7-G (Speed of Sound is in the key of D). Using the mediant along side the submediant isn't exactly ground breaking but in a rock song it adds some flavor to the mix. All in all anyone who thinks Speed of Sound is recycled is wrong, if I were to compare Clocks to anything it would be Charlie Brown. Hard to say since modern alt "rock" and alt pop is basically all the same. I see it as a bunch of hippies singing kumbaya with synths and "acoustic" instruments. I can't even listen to my local radio stations anymore. Well there's a classic rock station that I like but that's not the point. I thought the chords were the same, but as I said I don't give a damn about it and I love both songs. I was not the one who said SOS and Clocks are similar, I'm actually tired of hearing that all the time.
March 9, 201610 yr On a lighter note, Im arranging Up&Up for my school band, orchestra, and chorus to sing for next years spring concert. Its a lot of work but it'll be worth it. I hope to be able to play Noel's solo.
March 9, 201610 yr On a lighter note, Im arranging Up&Up for my school band, orchestra, and chorus to sing for next years spring concert. Its a lot of work but it'll be worth it. I hope to be able to play Noel's solo. THAT. IS. AMAZING. Could you have someone record it and put it on Youtube? I would really love to see it :)
March 9, 201610 yr On a lighter note, Im arranging Up&Up for my school band, orchestra, and chorus to sing for next years spring concert. Its a lot of work but it'll be worth it. I hope to be able to play Noel's solo. Would be great if you could post the sheet music for the Tenor Sax part (if there is one) once you are done [emoji106]
March 9, 201610 yr I wish I could get my school to perform Up&Up but I don't think we even have a choir... all I know is we have a Jazz band and Concert band(which I'm part of) :(
March 9, 201610 yr On a lighter note, Im arranging Up&Up for my school band, orchestra, and chorus to sing for next years spring concert. Its a lot of work but it'll be worth it. I hope to be able to play Noel's solo. That's so cool! Hope you get someone to record it for us :D
Create an account or sign in to comment