✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps the best way to describe this era is by saying that the band has become a bridge to other musical genres, meaning that while maintaining certain core elements of past eras, they now decided to bring elements of other genres into their music and thus become the bridge connecting soft rock / alternative music with other genres. It is a daring thing to do, in my view.

Perhaps the best way to describe this era is by saying that the band has become a bridge to other musical genres, meaning that while maintaining certain core elements of past eras, they now decided to bring elements of other genres into their music and thus become the bridge connecting soft rock / alternative music with other genres. It is a daring thing to do, in my view.

I agree with you 100%. I love that they're at this point of complete comfortability with whatever they do. It's one of the many reasons Coldplay have lasted as long as they have and still managed to stay relevant.

I don't think they're bridging genres, I think they're heading head long into mainstream throwaway pop.

True but I feel they lack depth now and are much more "bubblegum".

Don't know about that. Birds seems a lot different to me. Kind experimental. Army of one looks like some viva-ish, fun has something that reminds me x&y. A lot of those snippets didn't sound sooooo mainstream like MX do. For me it seems they're doing a bit of everything. They still seems alternative on that album... of course maybe 2 songs more mainstream.. but. At least is not the full album like mx. Hope that you enjoy this album ^^

American?? What's an American song classified as aha and if anything Up&Up is total Brit pop

To me ...the vocal melody, and especially the chord melody- sounds like what's really popular in America right now. That's why so many people thought it sounded like Taylor Swift.

That same melody is also used in country here too.

It's just that american sound to it. But I do love the noel and johnny part...and I think I will end up loving this song. But right now...I'm just hearing something that irks me..and getting in the way of enjoying the song...for it's potential. I think that's why so many people don't like Coldplay's initial new songs, there's so much riding on them- that we don't even listen as we would ..just some song we strolled across.

We want Coldplay songs to be the sountrack of our lives, and cure our pain. And we just want to sway our heads and have all other music just...not suck- and we're fine with that.

It's not fair! Haha.

Guys my question is.. what are you afraid of. "pop" or "mainstream pop"?? Cos pop can be a lot of things. Kid A of radiohead has some pop feelings but still unique. Even viva la vida is some kind pop but not mainstream. Mainstream pop to me is so... weak. But just judging by the snippets, we only get maybe 3 tracks that sound more like a mainstream thing, like HFTW that is the most of it. But guys.. we have birds and even X marks the spot seems so original, even with the pop elements.. still alternative, different, creative, original and thats really what matters, of course this only if you like viva la vida haha. But if you don't like viva at all... so then I guess.

Im really hyped by "x..." now cos wow.. saw so many genres there.

Guys my question is.. what are you afraid of. "pop" or "mainstream pop"?? Cos pop can be a lot of things. Kid A of radiohead has some pop feelings but still unique. Even viva la vida is some kind pop but not mainstream. Mainstream pop to me is so... weak. But just judging by the snippets, we only get maybe 3 tracks that sound more like a mainstream thing, like HFTW that is the most of it. But guys.. we have birds and even X marks the spot seems so original, even with the pop elements.. still alternative, different, creative, original and thats really what matters, of course this only if you like viva la vida haha. But if you don't like viva at all... so then I guess.

Im really hyped by "x..." now cos wow.. saw so many genres there.

Not afraid of any kind of pop. There have been really great pop songs. The problem with a lot of pop is you hear it on the radio or in a store and have no want or need to listen to it again,its throwaway music which has no depth. I listen to AOAL and I feel like that, it's ok to listen to on the radio a few times but I have no want or need to listen to it over and over again. From what I've heard so far, AD sounds pretty bland and AHFOD whilst being better again doesn't have much depth or true originality. Up & Up so far I've enjoyed the most but it's not by any means a classic. The album may be great in the long term but so far from what I've heard and unlike VLV I'll want to listen to it over and over again and find interest in different parts to the songs perhaps I've just grown out of Coldplay?

if cats die.... do they really become dead cats? or do they become a transgender cats?

Well if a cat has died, it is kind of, well, a dead cat by then. :thinking: So, I don't think it could wake up and suddenly sing "You make me feel... like I'm alive again! And transgender!" :p

Not afraid of any kind of pop. There have been really great pop songs. The problem with a lot of pop is you hear it on the radio or in a store and have no want or need to listen to it again,its throwaway music which has no depth. I listen to AOAL and I feel like that, it's ok to listen to on the radio a few times but I have no want or need to listen to it over and over again. From what I've heard so far, AD sounds pretty bland and AHFOD whilst being better again doesn't have much depth or true originality. Up & Up so far I've enjoyed the most but it's not by any means a classic. The album may be great in the long term but so far from what I've heard and unlike VLV I'll want to listen to it over and over again and find interest in different parts to the songs perhaps I've just grown out of Coldplay?

I see. But that' the thing AOAL is mainstream disco pop sound, and some others of the album may be kind of mainstream like HFTW. Im talking about the other tracks.. they don't seem that kind of pop.. seems mature and alternative to me. Let's wait the album and see. I means look at the snippet of birds or fun or up&up or army of one(viva-ish).. they all don't feel like a radio thing

Keep in mind guys snippets are completely different than actual songs, don't judge on the snippets

Not judging the entire album. Im just saying what it seems. But there is some song like birds that even in 9 seconds I can tell that it is different from mainstream things... at least its a high chance

Not judging the entire album. Im just saying what it seems. But there is some song like birds that even in 9 seconds I can tell that it is different from mainstream things... at least its a high chance

I have the same feeling! AOAL and probably Hymn For The Weekend seem very mainstream/poppy, whereas all the rest sounds really interesting. It's not Rock, or Alt Rock anymore but it its still sounding 'Alternative' and very different than everything they've ever done before soundwise.

I have the same feeling! AOAL and probably Hymn For The Weekend seem very mainstream/poppy, whereas all the rest sounds really interesting. It's not Rock, or Alt Rock anymore but it its still sounding 'Alternative' and very different than everything they've ever done before soundwise.

Actually alt Rock is a good term haha. Alt rock is so diverse... example viva is alt rock(art rock) but I know what you mean haha.