✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First Single Predictions!

I don't there is much of a Newplay, as much as their is a discernible Oldplay. What I mean by that is that the first 3 records have a clear similarity of style whereas the last 3 have been quite different. Ranking them by sets of three is interesting....

ORIGINAL TRILOGY:

1. A Rush of Blood to the Head

2. Parachutes

3. X&Y

SEQUEL TRILOGY:

1. Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

2. Mylo Xyloto

3. Ghost Stories

Overall prefer original trilogy but Viva is my favourite era overall. Hoping LP7 draws from Viva the most - more creativity please!

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I've always thought of Coldplay's albums this way as well, and I'm the same as you in that the "original trilogy" is my favorite, but Viva is my favorite overall album/era. Here's to hoping that AHFoD is similar to the other two trilogy openers of Parachutes and Viva.

Although since Coldplay have been saying this is the "end of something" it's difficult to say if this will be the start of a new trilogy at all :shrug:

Guest diogo_sg
Sonically I think the first single will be Paradise meets ASFOS.

Mila Furstova said that AHFOD is very different from GS, so I wouldn't expect any similarities to ASFOS.

"I live to see the world"

I don't there is much of a Newplay, as much as their is a discernible Oldplay. What I mean by that is that the first 3 records have a clear similarity of style whereas the last 3 have been quite different. Ranking them by sets of three is interesting....

ORIGINAL TRILOGY:

1. A Rush of Blood to the Head

2. Parachutes

3. X&Y

SEQUEL TRILOGY:

1. Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

2. Mylo Xyloto

3. Ghost Stories

Overall prefer original trilogy but Viva is my favourite era overall. Hoping LP7 draws from Viva the most - more creativity please!

I almost agree with you, in the sense that Ghost Stories imho shouldn't be considered as part of the second trilogy because it's a Chris solo album at 99% in terms of concept and musical taste. AHFOD will be the last part of the second trilogy and I hope it will have more in common with Viva rather than MX

This is an off-topic question. But, can X&Y be considered Space Rock (Or at least some of it)?

Imho no, it can't. Space rock in its proper shape is attributable to 70s music (for example you can listen to "Meddle" from Pink Floyd to have an idea). Despite this, X&Y has some spacey sonorities that give a great sense of depth to their sound

I almost agree with you, in the sense that Ghost Stories imho shouldn't be considered as part of the second trilogy because it's a Chris solo album at 99% in terms of concept and musical taste. AHFOD will be the last part of the second trilogy and I hope it will have more in common with Viva rather than MX

I divide it differently:

1. The Trilogy (Parachutes, AROBTTH, X&Y)

2. Brian Eno (VLVODAAHF, MX)

3. Night/day (GS, AHFOD)

The boys said themselves that they consider AHFOD to be the day of GS' night.

[smoke is rising from the houses]

Maybe you could say:

POP-ROCK COLDPLAY:

Parachutes

A Rush of Blood to the Head

X&Y

ROCK-POP COLDPLAY:

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

Mylo Xyloto

Ghost Stories

Probably A Head Full of Dreams

que it is hard to divide them up, but I often look at Coldplay's discography like so:

1. Early Years & Debut Album Parachutes: The sounds of Coldplay's first few EP's are very angsty and raw sounding, even when emotions are earnest and "bedwetting." But there is something distinctly fresh and almost indie about Parachutes that sets it apart from their other albums. It's songs are incredibly honest and true to their inspirations: Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, Echo and The Bunnymen, britpop, etc. The boys took those sounds and made the their own beautiful identity with mass appeal. This was the quiet era that took the world by storm.

2. Maturing and Growing-AROBTTH and X&Y: Indeed each album is very unique, but these were formative years where Coldplay advanced their "King of Poprock" status. The former album felt more mature and well honed, with darker themes and heavier guitars. Coldplay never sounded more alt-rock, but also never had so much pop appeal. The record has enough hooks for a lifetime yet brooding, hypnotizing rocks songs all the way through. The latter expands the pop appeal to new levels, but adds more ambitious production, which is to say that X&Y has a similar feel to its predecessor, but has a lot more bells and whistles. Swirling synths and spacey atmospheres dominate here, but Chris Martin continues his insatiable thirst for the best hook and pop tune. This era feels very much like a transformation for Coldplay into the next eras.

3. Experimenting and Dominating: Viva La Vida and Mylo Xyloto: Viva La Vida from the get go is sincerely Coldplay but exceptionally different. The added instrumentation and layers of production make each song burst with sharp yet hazy atmosphere and texture. Coldplay enlists the help of legends like Jon Hopkins and Brian Eno, and the results are amazing: a spanish clap beat on Cemeteries, a Hip-hop organ on Lost!, swirling reverb and african hand drums on Strawberry Swing, to straight up Shoegaze and clangy piano pop. This distinct style transformed into the more explosive, pop-driven Mylo Xyloto. The strange quirks and instrumental experimentation are less present, but what remains is colourfully propelled by alt-rock dance beats and more mainstream appeal. Its songwriting isn't as successful as VLV, but is unique, creative, and produces numerous killer and strange tunes. These records and their tours truly solidified Coldplay as the biggest rock/pop act on the planet.

4. Coldplay finds their niche in Pop with Ghost Stories and AHFOD: Coldplay return with a somber electronic break-up album that for the most part is very successful. There are some incredibly gorgeous songs here including a few experiments and oddballs. As a whole, the album slips from one song to another, each with squeaky clean production and atmosphere. But its far from an experiment, being more a pop release pure and simple. Therefore, it feels like Chris Martin's solo album with fewer tricks up its sleeve than the previous two records (and that isn't entirely a negative thing). It is a solid, appealing, and accessible release that I believe will share its pop appeal with AHFOD: Maybe one or two odd/alternative tracks with a whole lot of electronic pop fun and singles.

@lennyrott, are you a professional music critic ? Cause your text sounds just like that :D

My division:

Quiet, melancholic, warm, soft, Alt rock:

Safety

Brothers and Sisters

The Blue Room

Parachutes

Urgent, rocking, bigger sounding but yet still very personal, hesitating, somewhat intimate songwriting, Alt Rock:

A Rush of Blood To The Head

X&Y

The big transition happened after the recording of X&Y, with Eno coming in, Chris backing out for a while, less falsetto and deeper vocals, new kind of ambient sound creeping into their music as well as an incredible extent of pompousness.

Pop Rock, Art Rock:

Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends

Prospekt's March

Pop:

Mylo Xyloto

Electronic Pop:

Ghost Stories

Song Title Ideas? My tracklist suggestions:

1. The Idea I Can't Go Inside Of

2. A Head Full Of Dreams

3. Let Loose

4. A Man Flew Me Away From This Place

5. Memories

6. Worlds

7. Cracked Spine

8. Beams

9. Nightimes

10. Voice From The Underground

11. Broken In Two/The Walk

12. Time To Regenerate

13. The Final Walk To Freedom

14. Back To Basics

Guest diogo_sg
Song Title Ideas? My tracklist suggestions:

1. The Idea I Can't Go Inside Of

2. A Head Full Of Dreams

3. Let Loose

4. A Man Flew Me Away From This Place

5. Memories

6. Worlds

7. Cracked Spine

8. Beams

9. Nightimes

10. Voice From The Underground

11. Broken In Two/The Walk

12. Time To Regenerate

13. The Final Walk To Freedom

14. Back To Basics

And then the bonus/hidden tracks tracklist:

15. Open Up

16. Finding A Path That's Right

17. All Over Again

18. (secret track) 90 Years

Some titles are perfect: "Voice From The Underground", "90 Years", "Cracked Spine".

Others are ok: "All Over Again", "The Walk", "Nightimes".

A few are cheesy (sowwy): "The Final Walk To Freedom", "Finding A Path That's Right".

But overall the names are nice [emoji4]

Some titles are perfect: "Voice From The Underground", "90 Years", "Cracked Spine".

Others are ok: "All Over Again", "The Walk", "Nightimes".

A few are cheesy (sowwy): "The Final Walk To Freedom", "Finding A Path That's Right".

But overall the names are nice [emoji4]

True. To be honest, Coldplay are trying to experiment more so maybe the following would be better than the last two? BTW thanks;)

- Worrying Visions

- Impossible To Look

Death and All His Friends is one of the best titles ever, with Tomorrow Never Knows and Champagne Supernova. Out of Mylo I only really like Mylo Xyloto, Major Minus, and A Hopeful Transmission. I'm kind of glad I wasn't around for the release of that as I would have thought A Hopeful Transmission was going to be a lot more epic than it was. Viva definitely the best era title-wise.

Anyway...about the lead single...

I HOPE: What I hope for is really a heavy, yet melodic rock song. Like a Violet Hill that pulls less punches, or a Clocks but with an electric guitar riff instead of piano. I hope for a cool title without stars, birds, love, or any of the schmaltzy clichés they seem to view as deep these days, instead I hope for a spiky, interesting title like Lukas or Bloodless Revolution. I hope for lyrics that display an emotion other than either morose depression-lite or soulless optimism. Like anger, jealously or even better - bitterness. Something dark but confident and makes you feel good. Musically, I just hope it feels like I'm listening to a rock band. I want a cool drum beat, a grooving bass, and maybe some guitar from Jonny that's slightly less The Edge. Finally I hope the video shows the band looking cool as f**k and maybe even with a point to prove. No fireworks, lovers, happy endings, birds, stars, or soppy eye contact with the camera. That what I hope the single will be like.

I THINK: On the other hand, I don't think any of this will come true - except I'm sure it'll be very melodic. I think it'll be lightly instrumented, safe but feel good pop. Think Charlie Brown or Lovers in Japan. I think the title will be something like Hope or The Bright Side and the lyrics will be in the same vein as Miracles. I have no doubt the video will feature lots of colour and will probably depict some kind of party or live show interlaced with a happy story about young lovers. Despite how this comes across, I actually think it'll be a pretty good tune. Not Clocks, The Scientist or Politik good, but good. Most of their lead singles are strong regardless of the quality of the album and tend to show a high point of what they're trying to do. Happily, I can't see lp7's being an exception.

I KNOW: The only thing I know is that I'm excited. Allez Coldplay, it's never too late to be what you might have been. (Chorus of the single?)

Agreed. I also hope for rock tracks as well, with some more Radiohead inspiration. But I'm ok with tracks that are 'poppy' as well. A Head Full Of Dreams should be a bright album, but with some different sounds than MX & GS:D (even though I like both I'm ready for change) So as well some electro-pop vibe I'd like to see Coldplay experiment even further with futuristic sounds and rock music that they're not used to. But just my opinion:)

Guest diogo_sg
True. To be honest, Coldplay are trying to experiment more so maybe the following would be better than the last two? BTW thanks;)

- Worrying Visions

- Impossible To Look

Yeah, these titles do sound better [emoji4]