✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

As someone who doesn't like MtM at all, I prefer this :)

You're truly an enigma to me

I absolutely agree, but I made this comparison just to say that this song has been published on an EP and it's better than the album of its era, like it was for MtM

I don't know if I agree. It's not too distant from themes in Amazing Day and still has a similar musical pallet. One song being better than an album is a pretty bold claim, I'd rank Birds above Hypnotized. Birds is a bit more interesting to me where Hypnotized doesn't really go anywhere, a very subdued, almost generic ballad. Which based off what I said about it should tell you how low my expectations were set.

• Like 1

Who produced this new track? Johnny's guitar sounds are still really suffering, way too much reverb and that stupidly soft sound. Pop producers have a vendetta against guitar music!

With that being said this is a return to form. The hook is really good and lyrics have improved massively. I predicted a while ago that this E.P would be much better than the album alas Coldplay have a criminal track recorder of relegating their best tunes to b sides and 'extra tracks' (b sides of the modern, streaming age) I honestly can't tell if this is done intentionally, bad management or the bands poor judgement of the relative quality of their latest pool of material (The only Oasis trait influencing them these days)

I haven't been able to really properly listen to the song since I haven't had much time recently but I think it'll grow on me. That song in the second soundcheck that was posted on the KEP thread sounds really interesting though.

• Like 1

After a few more listens my biggest gripe is the effects on Chris's voice.

Do you mean that odd echo ? I also think it is unnecessary but other than that I like Chris' vocals on this one, sound much better than large parts of AHFOD and GS to me.

• Like 1

Yes, Hypnotised clearly showed they are still able to make touching, heartfelt, well-arranged and -produced music. But it is on the same disc and the release only a week or so apart from Something Just Like This. The two songs couldn't point in two more different directions.

By the way, a nice new AROBTTH Tour full show recording turned up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn-SX9D_-Pk

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn-SX9D_-Pk

• Like 4

ALL of the calls were awkward :D And Chris too (suggestion of hooking up callers 1 and 2, lol...)

Yeah, the GP part was really funny considering the future developments...

Back then it was easier to reach the guys, I guess. Too bad they don't do this kind of radio shows anymore...

EDIT: And sad to see how much they changed their mind on the subject of advertising in the meantime...

What are the advertising? I've totally missed this. I haven't had chance to see much tv recently x

What are the advertising? I've totally missed this. I haven't had chance to see much tv recently x

They used to refuse the use of their music for commercial ads (for example, they refused Yellow and some other hits to companies like Coke, losing out on millions of income) out of principle.

Now, in the AOAL music video, there is product placement (the chimps find a Dr. Dre Beats Pill in the beginning, in return, Beats by Dr. Dre payed for the video.....)

They used to refuse the use of their music for commercial ads (for example, they refused Yellow and some other hits to companies like Coke, losing out on millions of income) out of principle.

Now, in the AOAL music video, there is product placement (the chimps find a Dr. Dre Beats Pill in the beginning, in return, Beats by Dr. Dre payed for the video.....)

Aaah yes I forgot about that. I was thinking they were in an advert with their song. I did love that video but I remembered thinking well now everyone will want one of those dr drey beats pill.....or all the haters of Coldplay will think it's not cool anymore lol x

Yes, Hypnotised clearly showed they are still able to make touching, heartfelt, well-arranged and -produced music. But it is on the same disc and the release only a week or so apart from Something Just Like This. The two songs couldn't point in two more different directions.

By the way, a nice new AROBTTH Tour full show recording turned up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn-SX9D_-Pk

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn-SX9D_-Pk

thanks as always for posting these shows :)

• Like 1

Aaah yes I forgot about that. I was thinking they were in an advert with their song. I did love that video but I remembered thinking well now everyone will want one of those dr drey beats pill.....or all the haters of Coldplay will think it's not cool anymore lol x

There are some Coldplay ads as well occasionally, such as during the SB Halftime ads last year, but I think that has been the case for many years.

There are some Coldplay ads as well occasionally, such as during the SB Halftime ads last year, but I think that has been the case for many years.

the first one was probably the iTunes ad just before VLV came out... but i always saw that as being more an ad for the album although it was for purchasing the album through iTunes :P

• Like 1

So I held back from posting anything about Hypnotised for a while. A lot of you guys seemed to like it and I didn't want to be a douche. Though it was mostly because I was trying desperately to like it, forcefully even, and I just can't. I listen to it three or four times a day just searching for a glimmer of light, but my god is it boring. It's the dullest song they've done along with Amazing Day. The song just doesn't go anywhere for six minutes and it's nowhere near as emotionally charged as their early work. I simply don't understand the comparison with anything pre-Viva. A painfully slow song doesn't automatically equate to early Coldplay.

And I still dislike the production. The bells are synthed and not real, the drums are electric and Jonny's solo is drowned in a sea of synth white noise and uncomplimentary strings (The Pink Floyd comparisons almost killed me. I think sir Gilmour might shoot himself too if he read this!) The piano rhythm is way too slow and could have been written by a preschooler with a keyboard, and don't even get me stared on the lyrics. Once you compare it with O, All Your Friends or Up with the Birds the weaknesses really start to show.

Overall I'm neither sad nor disappointed, just rather bewildered, with the band seemingly unable to capture the magic of what made them great in the first place, even though they evidently tried their hardest to do so. Kaleidoscope will be a dreadful end to an era that can't come soon enough.

I still hold on to my belief that Ghost Story and Atlas are the most original Coldplay songs post-Viva. Both songs masterfully written and crafted. Songs that fill your head with a lot of what ifs... In fact Coldplay's career these past 10 years is filled with what ifs. The older members will know I've called for the band to go on a prolonged hiatus since Viva only to be more disappointed with every release year after year . Hopefully in 2017 the time will come.

So I held back from posting anything about Hypnotised for a while. A lot of you guys seemed to like it and I didn't want to be a douche. Though it was mostly because I was trying desperately to like it, forcefully even, and I just can't. I listen to it three or four times a day just searching for a glimmer of light, but my god is it boring. It's the dullest song they've done along with Amazing Day. The song just doesn't go anywhere for six minutes and it's nowhere near as emotionally charged as their early work. I simply don't understand the comparison with anything pre-Viva. A painfully slow song doesn't automatically equate to early Coldplay.

And I still dislike the production. The bells are synthed and not real, the drums are electric and Jonny's solo is drowned in a sea of synth white noise and uncomplimentary strings (The Pink Floyd comparisons almost killed me. I think sir Gilmour might shoot himself too if he read this!) The piano rhythm is way too slow and could have been written by a preschooler with a keyboard, and don't even get me stared on the lyrics. Once you compare it with O, All Your Friends or Up with the Birds the weaknesses really start to show.

Overall I'm neither sad nor disappointed, just rather bewildered, with the band seemingly unable to capture the magic of what made them great in the first place, even though they evidently tried their hardest to do so. Kaleidoscope will be a dreadful end to an era that can't come soon enough.

I still hold on to my belief that Ghost Story and Atlas are the most original Coldplay songs post-Viva. Both songs masterfully written and crafted. Songs that fill your head with a lot of what ifs... In fact Coldplay's career these past 10 years is filled with what ifs. The older members will know I've called for the band to go on a prolonged hiatus since Viva only to be more disappointed with every release year after year . Hopefully in 2017 the time will come.

I wouldn't compare Hypnotised to the brilliance of their early works either, and i agree that it is wrong to think "slow song = Oldplay", I mean, just look at UATW or Everglow....). But I like it very much and I think that despite the electronic drum elements and synth, it carries a lot of emotion. This song touched me as soon as I heard it, which is also due to the string arrangement in the second half, and I do think the guitar has a bit of a PF-vibe (only the vibe, I'm not comparing the complexity of guitar lines).

Also, Chris's vocals are among the best in the past three years.

But we all have different tastes and opinions, and different songs click with us or they don't. You mentioned Atlas, that song for example never really clicked with me, and I have a similar opinion about it as you hav about Hypnotised.

• Like 2

More or less agree with all of this. I think I've scattered similar thoughts throughout here and other threads. K-EP CAN'T be what we would want because thematically it will remain in AHFOD. I think Hypnotized was just a preview. I honestly think AHFOD will either be the last album they make, or they'll make a "final" album and maybe if we're lucky they'll give it some attention.

• Like 1