✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Here is an interview from the X&Y Era which I found interesting:

And by the way, JAAO's great channel has been taken down, but he is back uploading things here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBmbLX5l2T-OnwOJ2k8oiLg

I'm a bit late but this interview is pretty interesting indeed. Especially when referring to Guy and saying that "it is always good to have a shopper in the band" :P I wonder what kinda stuff they've picked up from the random shit Guy buys ahahahha.

Chris talking crap about playing in France ahahah and he tried to save himself afterwards before abandoning the whole thing...

^Is it just me or does Guy ALWAYS refer to shopping??? I remember on several interviews/Coldplay features he says something like "I'm just a normal guy, I like to go shopping." hahahaha I don't know why I find that so funny. I just love that he defines himself as a consumer to say "I'm a normal guy."

Does anyone remember what feature Guy buys a Teddy Bear in? Their interviewing him and he's like " I like to read and shop" and there is a shot of him waiving a bear in front of the camera. It kills me.

I don't mean this in a mean or disparaging way, but Guy always has come off to me as very "basic," as in super mellow and with little personality. Obviously I don't know him, but he reminds me of some friends I have who are very, very dull to talk to in an almost amusing way haha

• Like 2

^Is it just me or does Guy ALWAYS refer to shopping??? I remember on several interviews/Coldplay features he says something like "I'm just a normal guy, I like to go shopping." hahahaha I don't know why I find that so funny. I just love that he defines himself as a consumer to say "I'm a normal guy."

Does anyone remember what feature Guy buys a Teddy Bear in? Their interviewing him and he's like " I like to read and shop" and there is a shot of him waiving a bear in front of the camera. It kills me.

I don't mean this in a mean or disparaging way, but Guy always has come off to me as very "basic," as in super mellow and with little personality. Obviously I don't know him, but he reminds me of some friends I have who are very, very dull to talk to in an almost amusing way haha

that clip is from the South Bank Show :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=tQeGbK34J5E;m=21;s=57

Guy does talk about shopping a lot... i think because he collects so many different kinds of things, shopping around for those things kinda goes along with it.

but imo Guy is actually the biggest nerd out of any of the boys. maybe most of the time he does come off in interviews like you say he does, but if you dig deep enough you start to see how weird and nerdy he is :P

• Like 3

Over the weekend I went on Coldplay album binge while driving and listened to just about everything--it got me thinking more about the major differences of the last 3 eras and Oldplay. With a nice sound system in my car, you can really pick up everything: the bass, the atmosphere, the sometimes hidden sparkles underneath a track. Aside from the obvious differences in their music like lyrical content, songwriting, features, one thing struck me more than ever before: the mixing.

I know we've talked about this before, but the shift in mixing from the MX era onward is super stark. Chris' vocals and Wills drums are turned WAY WAY up starting with a few tracks on MX, and then on GS and AHFOD (as well as other singles).

Let's compare, for example, UFO and another acoustic track like Now My Feet Won't Touch The Ground. In UFO Chris' vocals are right up front--the instrumentation feels like a backdrop. In NMFWTTG, the guitars and strings swell, subtle percussion comes in, synths. Both tracks have good melodies and instrumentation, but one mixes them terribly.

Or let's look at Spies and Oceans--both are acoustic guitar driven with Jonnys haunting E-bow in the background. The difference? You can barely hear Jonny on Oceans whereas on Spies he is louder than Chris.

Or how about Lost! versus Army Of One? Both are driven by organs, thumping drums, and sparkling guitar. But can you hear the guitar on Army of One? Or back up vocals? Nope--the song is stale and focused solely on Chris' vocal delivery.

I could go on.......but I'm not saying that this is all terrible. On GS which is a pop-vocal album largely, it makes sense that other instruments are muted. I love how murky and low Jonny's guitar on Ink is, for example. But I feel like this has really taken the spirit out of Coldplay's music. Regardless of the genre of song they are going after, the mixing needs to be better. I love AOAL as a disco-tune, but the verses are so terribly mixed, you can hardly hear Jonny's funky guitar work.

Taking our most recent track Hypnotised--this one pleased all of us--I keep asking myself "Why do I not love this as much as I should? It hits all the marks of Oldplay I love," and I honestly think the answer is how loud and up front Chris' vocals and piano are. The song has soft acoustic elements in the background, but you need loud speakers to make them out. Oldplay teaches us that it is possible to mix well enough to hear all the instrumentation--especially on an album like Viva.

• Like 6

Over the weekend I went on Coldplay album binge while driving and listened to just about everything--it got me thinking more about the major differences of the last 3 eras and Oldplay. With a nice sound system in my car, you can really pick up everything: the bass, the atmosphere, the sometimes hidden sparkles underneath a track. Aside from the obvious differences in their music like lyrical content, songwriting, features, one thing struck me more than ever before: the mixing.

I know we've talked about this before, but the shift in mixing from the MX era onward is super stark. Chris' vocals and Wills drums are turned WAY WAY up starting with a few tracks on MX, and then on GS and AHFOD (as well as other singles).

Let's compare, for example, UFO and another acoustic track like Now My Feet Won't Touch The Ground. In UFO Chris' vocals are right up front--the instrumentation feels like a backdrop. In NMFWTTG, the guitars and strings swell, subtle percussion comes in, synths. Both tracks have good melodies and instrumentation, but one mixes them terribly.

Or let's look at Spies and Oceans--both are acoustic guitar driven with Jonnys haunting E-bow in the background. The difference? You can barely hear Jonny on Oceans whereas on Spies he is louder than Chris.

Or how about Lost! versus Army Of One? Both are driven by organs, thumping drums, and sparkling guitar. But can you hear the guitar on Army of One? Or back up vocals? Nope--the song is stale and focused solely on Chris' vocal delivery.

I could go on.......but I'm not saying that this is all terrible. On GS which is a pop-vocal album largely, it makes sense that other instruments are muted. I love how murky and low Jonny's guitar on Ink is, for example. But I feel like this has really taken the spirit out of Coldplay's music. Regardless of the genre of song they are going after, the mixing needs to be better. I love AOAL as a disco-tune, but the verses are so terribly mixed, you can hardly hear Jonny's funky guitar work.

Taking our most recent track Hypnotised--this one pleased all of us--I keep asking myself "Why do I not love this as much as I should? It hits all the marks of Oldplay I love," and I honestly think the answer is how loud and up front Chris' vocals and piano are. The song has soft acoustic elements in the background, but you need loud speakers to make them out. Oldplay teaches us that it is possible to mix well enough to hear all the instrumentation--especially on an album like Viva.

I think you're spot on. This may be the reason why I never got warm with the acoustic tracks on MX compared to acoustic tracks of previous Eras.

• Like 1

I think you're spot on. This may be the reason why I never got warm with the acoustic tracks on MX compared to acoustic tracks of previous Eras.

It is hard to say. Sometimes I wonder if the songs just weren't as creative or pretty--like with UFO. But for the most part, I like the mixing on MX. Especially on HLH, ETIAW. On UATW, I go back and forth. That song is so much better live without the overbearing organ, but then again, I love the organ swell at the end. I think MX was the first album where they started exploring a more pop-vocal feel to their music which they took to GS. MX still had some solid alternative rock where the guitars were in your face, which I love.

• Like 1

I always thought Guy was the most interesting. He produces, has hobbies he likes to talk about, member of Apparatjik. Wish he did more interviews.

• Like 3

Coldplays major failing from Viva onwards had been their production.

Compare the production on Parachutes (Where, if you have a good vinyl player it sounds like the band are in the room with you) and AHFOD, it's really night and day.

I'm sure if they were produced properly there would be quite a few post Viva songs I'd like.

Compare the production on Parachutes (Where, if you have a good vinyl player it sounds like the band are in the room with you) and AHFOD, it's really night and day.

I'm sure if they were produced properly there would be quite a few post Viva songs I'd like.

oh, look who's back. :)

• Like 1

Welcome back :)

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just came across this, a bit of a German TV show in 2002, never seen it before !

(Information content = 0, but Funniness = 100 :p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=a-4KaxKMd3Q;t=374

ahahaha this was so great. It's actually really interesting and kinda weird to know both German and English and to hear both being spoken like that. It would be pretty hard to be a tv host and have to always think about what to translate and what not to :P From when I was in Germany last it was interesting, on tv I feel like they are shifting further apart from trying to translate things said in English to German. And more to just leaving things said in English and assuming most of the audience will understand it anyway. I found this interview as well:

Will is not having any of Chris' shit :')

• Like 1