✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

I wouldn't compare Hypnotised to the brilliance of their early works either, and i agree that it is wrong to think "slow song = Oldplay", I mean, just look at UATW or Everglow....). But I like it very much and I think that despite the electronic drum elements and synth, it carries a lot of emotion. This song touched me as soon as I heard it, which is also due to the string arrangement in the second half, and I do think the guitar has a bit of a PF-vibe (only the vibe, I'm not comparing the complexity of guitar lines).

Also, Chris's vocals are among the best in the past three years.

But we all have different tastes and opinions, and different songs click with us or they don't. You mentioned Atlas, that song for example never really clicked with me, and I have a similar opinion about it as you hav about Hypnotised.

I'm tremendously joyous you like it. The more people like it the happier I am, especially among the oldplayer crowd. We're all here for a reason and that is to be moved by the music and enjoy it. I'm glad I'm in the minority on this one!

More or less agree with all of this. I think I've scattered similar thoughts throughout here and other threads. K-EP CAN'T be what we would want because thematically it will remain in AHFOD. I think Hypnotized was just a preview. I honestly think AHFOD will either be the last album they make, or they'll make a "final" album and maybe if we're lucky they'll give it some attention.

I desperately hope you're right!

• Like 2

So I held back from posting anything about Hypnotised for a while. A lot of you guys seemed to like it and I didn't want to be a douche. Though it was mostly because I was trying desperately to like it, forcefully even, and I just can't. I listen to it three or four times a day just searching for a glimmer of light, but my god is it boring. It's the dullest song they've done along with Amazing Day. The song just doesn't go anywhere for six minutes and it's nowhere near as emotionally charged as their early work. I simply don't understand the comparison with anything pre-Viva. A painfully slow song doesn't automatically equate to early Coldplay.

And I still dislike the production. The bells are synthed and not real, the drums are electric and Jonny's solo is drowned in a sea of synth white noise and uncomplimentary strings (The Pink Floyd comparisons almost killed me. I think sir Gilmour might shoot himself too if he read this!) The piano rhythm is way too slow and could have been written by a preschooler with a keyboard, and don't even get me stared on the lyrics. Once you compare it with O, All Your Friends or Up with the Birds the weaknesses really start to show.

Overall I'm neither sad nor disappointed, just rather bewildered, with the band seemingly unable to capture the magic of what made them great in the first place, even though they evidently tried their hardest to do so. Kaleidoscope will be a dreadful end to an era that can't come soon enough.

I still hold on to my belief that Ghost Story and Atlas are the most original Coldplay songs post-Viva. Both songs masterfully written and crafted. Songs that fill your head with a lot of what ifs... In fact Coldplay's career these past 10 years is filled with what ifs. The older members will know I've called for the band to go on a prolonged hiatus since Viva only to be more disappointed with every release year after year . Hopefully in 2017 the time will come.

Not gonna lie this has depressed me reading this. Nah I believe this is the kind of sound of this era, next era will have a different sound, if they hopefully keep making music.

But I agree, in a way, like this era has kinda run dry for me and it would be great to get something really different, original and emotional from them. Their current album does show tons of emotion like always but it is just different from the feeling of their older kind of music

This is just AMAZING, I just can't explain what this song does to me:D! :grinning:

And how enthusiastic Jonny was.......

Look at the energie of the crowd 2:30..... I get goosebumps every time !

I miss this era so much:weary_face:

over the past week i've been watching a lot of VIVA era interviews and i miss it too :weary_face::weary_face:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Released only a few days ago and its already a personal soundtrack for me. They are of unparalleled talent and creativity so not very comparable with Coldplay. But this is actually how they would have sounded if they took a more mature direction after AROBTTH/X&Y.

I recently listened to this:

I am a bit bummed that this is the only full-length show of the Viva Tour available on Youtube. Or does someone know another one ? (I mean really full tour sets, not shortened ones for TV like the ones in London or Tokyo)

• Like 1

I recently listened to this:

I am a bit bummed that this is the only full-length show of the Viva Tour available on Youtube. Or does someone know another one ? (I mean really full tour sets, not shortened ones for TV like the ones in London or Tokyo)

oh man, in that first second when the first few notes of Blue Danube play i got INSTANT FEELS :sob::heart::sob::heart: the VIVA era was so great

thank you for posting this!!

• Like 2

Released only a few days ago and its already a personal soundtrack for me. They are of unparalleled talent and creativity so not very comparable with Coldplay. But this is actually how they would have sounded if they took a more mature direction after AROBTTH/X&Y.

That track is kind of a snooze honestly. I think Warning Sign is probably the most boring track in their discography but I still like it for what it is.

a bit of a confession that might be best suited here..ever since the release of AHFOD I started to listen to the band less & less till I reached the state where I almost never listen to them at all. Sad! because I still follow their news but I literally watch all the live snippets either on mute or very low sound :shocked: I only listened to AHFOD once & had a following unpleasant experience so I actually do not remember what some songs as Army of One or Fun sound like at all!!

Each passing day I feel more detached from them & the whole fandom & I keep asking myself why I can't enjoy this era as many fans do :( I have not listened to Hypnotised till now..

I barely even listen to my old favourite songs; somehow they feel..old & make me feel I am just clinging to the past that will never return.

Yesterday I accidentally listened to Politik (Live 2003 version)..It somehow struck a chord & I found myself crying for about 1/2 an hour while I kept it on repeat. Somehow that song/ performance was so good that it's not possible to imagine that it came from the same band I see nowadays. I don't know if I was crying because of how good of a performance it was ,or because the powerful lyrics that seem to be so relevant of the state of the world now, or because I was asking why all good things must come to an end. Was I crying for the things/ ppl I have lost along the years? It is strange that 1 song can trigger that strong reaction..

I don't know what anyone could understand from that incoherent post, maybe I just think that the verse " but give me love over..love over this" sang in such emotion is 1000 times more meaningful & honest than all the love buttons/ flags thrown at us the last 2 eras if you know what I mean.

• Like 4

I don't know what anyone could understand from that incoherent post, maybe I just think that the verse " but give me love over..love over this" sang in such emotion is 1000 times more meaningful & honest than all the love buttons/ flags thrown at us the last 2 eras if you know what I mean.

it's interesting you say that, because to me those lines always feel a little hollow, actually. like it's really easy to say "give me love over this" but to practice what you preach is another story. i do think chris sings that part with a lot more emotion in live versions than the studio version, though, so i can see what you mean there. but i tend to listen to the studio version more often so that is what i think of first :P

a bit of a confession that might be best suited here..ever since the release of AHFOD I started to listen to the band less & less till I reached the state where I almost never listen to them at all. Sad! because I still follow their news but I literally watch all the live snippets either on mute or very low sound :shocked: I only listened to AHFOD once & had a following unpleasant experience so I actually do not remember what some songs as Army of One or Fun sound like at all!!

Each passing day I feel more detached from them & the whole fandom & I keep asking myself why I can't enjoy this era as many fans do :( I have not listened to Hypnotised till now..

I barely even listen to my old favourite songs; somehow they feel..old & make me feel I am just clinging to the past that will never return.

Yesterday I accidentally listened to Politik (Live 2003 version)..It somehow struck a chord & I found myself crying for about 1/2 an hour while I kept it on repeat. Somehow that song/ performance was so good that it's not possible to imagine that it came from the same band I see nowadays. I don't know if I was crying because of how good of a performance it was ,or because the powerful lyrics that seem to be so relevant of the state of the world now, or because I was asking why all good things must come to an end. Was I crying for the things/ ppl I have lost along the years? It is strange that 1 song can trigger that strong reaction..

Welcome to the club! I also laugh when I think for a second I'm getting used to AHFOD coldplay and then compare it to something like this

and realize how far they've fallen off. It's also totally ok to not like them. I know on here especially people have emotional attachments to the band but you can still like what they did and distance yourself from who they are now.

• Like 3

I hope they don't collaborate with major artists like Beyonce or Rihanna on their next album. Sure, it can give them some publicity here and there, but the songs they've produced with them - HFTW and Princess of China - are probably some of the most hated songs here that I know of. They should maybe try and get Eno onboard with something, or work it out like they used to in the old days.

I hope they don't collaborate with major artists like Beyonce or Rihanna on their next album. Sure, it can give them some publicity here and there, but the songs they've produced with them - HFTW and Princess of China - are probably some of the most hated songs here that I know of. They should maybe try and get Eno onboard with something, or work it out like they used to in the old days.

I think pretty good songs are hidden inside those tracks, maybe PoC more than hftw

• 2 weeks later...

You're not alone. I can't get into AHFOD whatsoever. Bought the album (only because I will always buy Coldplay's albums), have listened through it a dozen times, but simply cannot get into it. Doesn't have the same emotion to it. The one song from it I really like is the title track. The rest are really just, average. Not bad, but not noteworthy. X Marks the Spot and Fun are really, really mediocre releases. Up and Up and Everglow are pleasant, but still kind of just, meh. I don't know why they didn't include Miracles on the standard version of the album, it would've been maybe the best song on the album!

It's been a downward trajectory since after Mylo Xyloto, IMO. And the low critical acclaim (minus Pitchfork because, well, f*** Pitchfork and their snobby ass) and lack of awards show that. Ghost Stories was superior to AHFOD, but it still could have been a lot better. GS could've been a lot better with a more alt. rock feel to it. The emotion is there, and I like the intimacy of it that they were clearly aiming for, but it still feels like something is missing.

I truly don't see Coldplay making an album that doesn't include a pop/synth sound. It's really too bad, because they've proven they can hit the mainstream crowd without making songs with Beyonce, or the Chainsmokers, or Avicii, or Rihanna. Nothing against those artists, but I hate how the songs Coldplay are now known for are associated with them.

But I have faith they will still mix in their classic alternative sound here and there.

• Like 1

One of my fears is that I'll consider being a Coldplay fan in general was a stupid phase if they keep up they way they've been making music since MX.

They're still genuine, good people. They could descend into total EDM pumped trash but I still like the people. I also think the farther we move from MX and GS the more tolerable they are. I don't see AHFOD ever becoming likable though. Maybe it's because AHFOD made us realize we never knew how low things can go, and can still go. It almost makes me appreciate AHFOD in a twisted way.

• Like 1

One of my fears is that I'll consider being a Coldplay fan in general was a stupid phase if they keep up they way they've been making music since MX.

I can relate to that, I am sometimes embarassed when I hear SJLT and ASFOS etc. and I think that's what other people think I like when I say I'm a Coldplay fan...

• Like 1