✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Soooooo....what do Oldplayers think about today's release of the Coldplay-Chainsmokers collaboration "Something Just Like This" ?

(I feel like I know the answer, but I'm asking anyway...)

I had to listen 10 times in a row Chinese Sleep Chant to purify my ears from that garbage song

• Like 3

I had to listen 10 times in a row Chinese Sleep Chant to purify my ears from that garbage song

Your post made me laugh :) I can totally understand that even though I would rate this song a bit higher than ASFOS and XMTS for example.

But yeah, it's really sad. I've been listening to a lot of X&Y the past two days, and today I was listening to a live performance of "A Message" repeatedly. The difference could not be larger, and one cannot believe it is even the same band.

It's not just the genre, it's also sad to hear how Chris has changed in singing style. The beautiful crooning that was his trademark has given way to a more hip-hop/rap-like "short" singing style, if you know what I mean, he no longer draws out words but stops them abruptly, that's not nice.

• Like 2

Your post made me laugh :) I can totally understand that even though I would rate this song a bit higher than ASFOS and XMTS for example.

that was the intention, let's try to make a laughter about it instead of taking it badly :) . By now I'm used to this kind of effort from the band, and I remember I said I would have left after the AHFOD release but I'm still here and I wonder why. We all know that the band we all loved is dead during the summer of 2011

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

You know what's also disappointing ? Jonny's riff at the very end (the one with distorting, wailing sound) sounds so good, a song of its own could have been made around it, it would have fit well a song with a bittersweet vibe for example.

Instead, they wasted the riff on this....

• Like 1

Speaking of Chinese Sleep Chant, this little thing has been driving me crazy. I love the song (didn't realize it was separate from Yes until now though lol) BUT, I swear I've heard that beginning guitar riff in another song, maybe a Foo Fighters song? Idk but it sounds so freaking familiar. Anyone know what I'm talking about or am I crazy?

So there is this massive campaign on Twitter to get SJLT into the charts and purchase it for other people and what not - seriously ?? Why promote that song so much ? I'd rather people do not associate this kind of music with the name of Coldplay, I'd be disappointed/embarassed if this becomes a Nr. 1 hit in Coldplay's history...

Speaking of Chinese Sleep Chant, this little thing has been driving me crazy. I love the song (didn't realize it was separate from Yes until now though lol) BUT, I swear I've heard that beginning guitar riff in another song, maybe a Foo Fighters song? Idk but it sounds so freaking familiar. Anyone know what I'm talking about or am I crazy?

It is a clear homage to My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" album, one of the milestones of the early 90s shoegaze scene.

If you want to find Foo Fighters in a CP song just listen to Moses, it is veeeeeeeery similar to Learn To Fly

Does anyone wanna talk about things that you didn't like on the albums (the holy four obviously) that you feel like keep it from being better?

X&Y has been played a couple times recently in my car cause I keep the CDs in there in case I can't use my phone for some reason and man I really, really don't like Speed of Sound, It's probably my least favorite song from oldplay. Instrumentally it's boring and feels like it came out in a couple minutes with no thoughts of even trying to make it sound like it isn't 4 prebaked parts pieced together with awkward transitions between each. Chris cemented his mainstream hatred with his vocals on the track, pretty much anyone that mimicks him picks this track, yellow, or vlv, but Speed of Sound is truly one for the grocery store.

• Like 1

Does anyone wanna talk about things that you didn't like on the albums (the holy four obviously) that you feel like keep it from being better?

X&Y has been played a couple times recently in my car cause I keep the CDs in there in case I can't use my phone for some reason and man I really, really don't like Speed of Sound, It's probably my least favorite song from oldplay. Instrumentally it's boring and feels like it came out in a couple minutes with no thoughts of even trying to make it sound like it isn't 4 prebaked parts pieced together with awkward transitions between each. Chris cemented his mainstream hatred with his vocals on the track, pretty much anyone that mimicks him picks this track, yellow, or vlv, but Speed of Sound is truly one for the grocery store.

SoS is the song of my adolescence, it's been my ringtone for almost 10 years. But I understand and respect your point of view :)

The only oldplay song I really dislike at all from the first time I listened to it is Viva La Vida, I still can't figure out why it became their bigger hit.

Some personal thoughts on the songs that were mentioned:

I love Speed of Sound, and it is one of the songs that made me a Coldplay fan. It has a beautiful melody, and the lyrics and the way Chris sings them speak to me because I often view the world in a very similar way (in wide-eyed amazement at life and the universe around us).

It feels like an anthem about the wonders of the world that I can identify with and that makes me want to go out there and live life intently.

In short, it means a lot to me :)

And I would almost certainly not be here if it weren't for Viva La Vida.

That melody, that epic string accompaniment...I would call it the most memorable song of the 2000s and for me, this is the ultimate song for celebrations/victories/feelings of extreme happiness or bliss of all time.

Oldplay songs I dislike for example include Til Kingdom Come, Swallowed in the Sea, How You See The World, Amsterdam, Everything's Not Lost, Reign of Love, Yes (among others).