✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

That segue into Poppyfields is :heart_eyes:

I don't listen to Coldplay as often as I used to (my Spotify playlist has expanded exponentially so now there's more on it than Coldplay, Keane, and Muse lol), but Prospekt's March is one of their few songs that I go out of my way to listen to at least once a week. It's not my favorite song of theirs, but I would argue any day of the week that in terms of pure craftsmanship, sonic sound, and lyric-work, it is one of their absolute best.

Thanks for inspiring me to hear PM after quite a while. What a hidden gem. Is the perfect embodiment of Coldplay at the VLV era. This fresh sound but not unrelated to their roots.

• Like 2

I think our opinions on music in general are largely shaped by the period of life in which we find ourselves, and our circumstances. I was a freshman/sophomore in college when VLV & PM came out. I'll never forget the first full listen to VLV with my best friend, we still talk about it to this day. It was an experience.

Later, PM had just been released a couple months prior to my road trip from Oregon up to Victoria, B.C. - Filled with rain, snow, fog, mountains + evergreens -- and it was well and truly my soundtrack on that trip. Prospekt's March (the song) takes me back to that time the most in ways I can't explain -- I get chills thinking about it!

I am so happy this thread exists to share these things with fans who get it.

• Like 5

I think our opinions on music in general are largely shaped by the period of life in which we find ourselves, and our circumstances.

That's a great point. For me, I did not become a huge Coldplay fan until I heard they were playing the Super Bowl, and saw the huge backlash from people against it. I thought to myself, "Why do people hate Coldplay so much? I seem to find the 10 songs I've heard from them, at the very least, enjoyable."

I started to listen to Parachutes on Youtube, then on and on through each album up until AHFOD.

I fell in love with this band a couple years ago in college, like I never had passion for anything before. My passion was always sports, and then now, Coldplay.

Going back to what you said, I think my love for Coldplay certainly had to do with the circumstances of my life then. But the weird thing is, every Coldplay song has always made me feel nostalgic, even though I hadn't heard 90% of them until a couple years ago. The great thing about Prospekt's March, specifically, is it is not overexposed. It is really something that true Coldplay fans can hold close to them (us). It is representative of the band at the absolute peak of their powers, producing brilliant music, that wasn't shoved down the throats of the masses.

• Like 2

Here’s a question for you all...

Starting with Mylo Xyloto all the way to Kaleidoscope EP, what songs (if any) do you feel as though are representative of Coldplay’s true and traditional sound (or the sound all of us enjoy the most)?

I’ll start:

Atlas (talk about underrated songs!)

Major Minus

Moving to Mars

Oceans

Everglow (kinda iffy, just really like the song)

Aliens

Probably forgetting some, curious to hear what yours are!

• Like 1

Yesterday I learnt that the live debut of Warning Sign was actually during the Parachutes Era !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=zm9xXeUqvO0;m=21;s=51

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/zm9xXeUqvO0?t=21m51s

(Nice set by the way, also includes an acoustic version the early In My Place)

Oh sweet, I didn't know this set was anywhere to listen! This was the first time they ever played in Philly (closest big city to me even though it's an hour away). They played Electric Factory the next day which is a pretty small venue. It's kind of depressing to look at the shows I could have seen if I was doing shows back then, but also cool to hear it and look back and see where they played. I wasn't home anyway since I was in college but I remember shows being promoted on the radio and stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Starting with Mylo Xyloto all the way to Kaleidoscope EP, what songs (if any) do you feel as though are representative of Coldplay’s true and traditional sound (or the sound all of us enjoy the most)?

I’ll start:

Major Minus

Moving to Mars

Oceans

Aliens

I'm not any kind of music expert so this is subjectively just the songs that feel to me like "my" Coldplay, even if in some cases the sound is a bit different. In order of release:

Moving To Mars

Us Against The World

Atlas

Always In My Head

Oceans

O

Ghost Story

Miracles (the first one, not the one that just came out)

Everglow single version

All I Can Think About Is You

ALIENS

Hypnotised

I'm on the fence about some others, like DLIBYH, Up With The Birds, True Love and Amazing Day, that I just really love but I wouldn't say have that much of the older sound. Hard to put my finger on.

I think our opinions on music in general are largely shaped by the period of life in which we find ourselves, and our circumstances.

This is very true. Parachutes and AROBTTH came out when I was in college and at the time they not only just grabbed me like no other music had, they did so at a time I really needed something to grab me. X&Y came out right after I graduated and got my first job and moved away from home for the first time. So all three of those albums, I had struggles at those times but they were also exhilarating and full of possibility. It just felt like I was lost a lot but finding my way and Coldplay was by my side the whole while. It was the right music at the right time. There's definitely a little of that with VLV/PM for me but it's not quite the same, as much as I love the album. Some of it is that the music on the first three was just perfect to my taste, but some of it is just as you said, the period of my life it landed in and how well it clicked with my world at the time. I have a lot of vivid memories like the ones you describe, driving somewhere and listening to AROBTTH or X&Y, and hearing them I can go right back to that moment.

Recent songs that I think sound a bit like Oldplay, in order of release:

Oceans

Ghost Story

Fun

All I Can Think About Is You

A L I E N S

Hypnotised

Fun is another one I'd put in my on-the-fence grouping ... that songs seems to get a lot of hate but it's one of the few newer ones that really moves me a lot on a deeper level. Like most of my favorite of their songs from this decade, I wish I could have heard it live.

I’ll start:

Major Minus

Moving to Mars

Oceans

Aliens

I don't know if these are the most "Oldplay" ones or just the ones I like lol but here we go:

Atlas (did this come out before or after MX? I don't remember lol)

Major Minus

Moving to Mars

DLIBYH

Up with the Birds

Always in My Head

Midnight

Oceans

O

All Your Friends

Ghost Story

A Head Full of Dreams

AICTAIY

A L I E N S

Hypnotised

So, about 1.5 albums' worth out of the past 3.5 releases. So in these past releases, about 40% of the songs have been "good," in my opinion :P

• Like 1

that songs seems to get a lot of hate but it's one of the few newer ones that really moves me a lot on a deeper level.

Finally someone who agrees with me on Fun ! :)

That guitar riff at the beginning always hits me right in the guts, I like the imagery used in the lyrics and the melody/overall sound are good too.

I don't like Tove Lo as an artist but in all fairness on Fun her vocals are very subtle and fit perfectly ! All in all a very touching song.

• Like 1

That guitar riff at the beginning always hits me right in the guts, I like the imagery used in the lyrics and the melody/overall sound are good too.

I don't like Tove Lo as an artist but in all fairness on Fun her vocals are very subtle and fit perfectly ! All in all a very touching song.

Exactly, I think the sentiment is lovely and the melody gets it across just right. And it's definitely more the kind of collaboration I can enjoy ... the female harmonies are a nice touch and don't feel forced.

• Like 1

It's because Jonny's guitar at the beginning embraces dreampop (just listen to groups like Cocteau Twins, The Sundays, Lush or Pure Bathing Culture to compaire). When I listened to AHFOD the first times Fun was the song I liked the most, but with the passing of time I got bored of it for its trviality. I think it's one of those songs that could have been very good if produced during the oldplay times.

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

I know this song is pretty well known but it's also one of their masterpieces and shows Jonny's shoegaze influences. I really hope I see more of this in the future as i really like MBV and Slowdive.

PS: This is the funny thing about Coldplay, don't you agree? Each album is poppier than the one before, yet we all have hope that this changes.

Let's wait.

• Like 3

PS: This is the funny thing about Coldplay, don't you agree? Each album is poppier than the one before, yet we all have hope that this changes.

Let's wait.

I agree BUT arguably Kaleidoscope EP was, after a long time, the first step in the right direction again. 3 great songs out of 5 - now this is a ratio I haven't seen in any of the post-2008 releases !!

• Like 1

That's very true. I was so happy with AICTAIY and ALIENS! It gave me some hope...

For me, A L I E N S and Hypnotised are my two favourites. AICTAIY has an interesting concept but I feel the studio version fell a bit flat and didn't quite live up to the song's potential - the one the one hand deliberately muddy, blurry production and then on the other hand the live-sounding cues from Chris detract from it for me, and I think the epic piano bridge is a buried in synths that are too loud (live version had a much better mix).

But song-wise definitely one of the great 3 of Kaleidoscope EP !

I looked up one of the old Coldplay.com website designs from late 2010 for a school project and holy nostalgia Batman! I remember visiting the site every day hoping for a new Roadie #42 post. Note they still have a link for LRLRL :laughing:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100701063827/http://coldplay.com/

Man I'd totally forgotten the exhibition room thing and this look of the website. I remember well the VLV design, and the later layout when the deglo apocalypse began (kidding, sort of), but totally forgot this in-between one. It's funny how quickly looking at old web designs takes you back to something you'd totally forgotten. Thanks for the nostalgia I didn't know I needed!

• Like 1

Did you liked Chris' speech at the end of the tour?

I liked the part of "this is the end of a chapter, from now on it'll be full of surprises", that really gives me some hope about the future, although it could be a bad surprise :P but let's not think of the worst case scenario...

On the other hand the "We're in this together! Anything is possible if you never give up. And if you believe in love!". I do like love and togetherness, but I'm getting a little tired of this bulls**t. Sorry if you don't agree with me, but that's just my opinion. Don't mean to offend anyone. I miss the "I don't give a fuck" Chris who just appears in the middle of the MTV EMA without his pants and Jonny goes Jazz and the Nappies and stuff like that. And you go to Super Bowl, where 90% of the public are men above his 40's and you sing about "Believing in Love".

And please bring back Brian Eno!

• Like 1

Did you liked Chris' speech at the end of the tour?

I liked the part of "this is the end of a chapter, from now on it'll be full of surprises", that really gives me some hope about the future, although it could be a bad surprise :p but let's not think of the worst case scenario...

On the other hand the "We're in this together! Anything is possible if you never give up. And if you believe in love!". I do like love and togetherness, but I'm getting a little tired of this bulls**t. Sorry if you don't agree with me, but that's just my opinion. Don't mean to offend anyone. I miss the "I don't give a fuck" Chris who just appears in the middle of the MTV EMA without his pants and Jonny goes Jazz and the Nappies and stuff like that. And you go to Super Bowl, where 90% of the public are men above his 40's and you sing about "Believing in Love".

And please bring back Brian Eno!

I wouldn't go that far personally, because I love Chris's determination to see good in a garbage world, I guess because everyone else is so determined to be angry at everything. Sometimes it's been really refreshing. But I also get where you're coming from. There's a point where I look ahead at what I'm dealing with and what's ahead of me and what a failure my life is so far, and it's just insulting to be told anything is possible if I never give up, or that I can be the next Mohammed Ali or Ghandi if I believe in myself. On the other hand sometimes Chris has a way with words that does make me feel realistically hopeful, and feel like I'm a valued person, and I appreciate that. But yeah, the final speech made me feel more left behind. I wish I could feel the way about it as others who are so enthusiastic. Maybe I'm just sad about the feeling it's even more the end of something. When Chris said it's the end of a chapter, that hit me like a ton of bricks and not in a good way. They already seem so far from where we started, and like they want to put their early eras behind them, and it seems like now they want to get farther from it. Then again, I'm really down lately so maybe I'm just being overly negative and that's not what he meant at all (I mean let's face it, it might have just been a "Chrisism" lol). I didn't think I'd like the AHFOD era at all but I actually had some incredible times, plus 3/5 of the EP songs were brilliant, so maybe it will be OK. Maybe it will be better than OK. Maybe I should enjoy the possibility that it could be anything at this point, because you only get to not know for so long.

• Like 1