✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

^ I definitely agree. I think 2-3 could have been cut and some others rearranged and it would have been a much better album.

Congrats! :D

That's funny! I bet a lot of people think that but they can't agree on which 2-3 songs should be cut. ;)

This is the trouble with trying to make an album as a single thing. It's hard to make all the songs flow in the right way...

...and also you get really far into recording it and then something happens and you end up doing something different and you can't finish it.

Like you are recording your "happy" album... and you stop being happy before you get 42 minutes of music down.

It's hard to record an album....

love

Freya

Haha, just stumbled upon this old ad on Youtube :joy:

I love you! :grinning::laughing::joy::sob:

I couldn't believe that.

I was watching it thinking it must be some kind of fake joke.

Those who think the universe doesn't do that much should be forced to watch that set of ads.

That's one of the worst I've ever seen and I've seen some really bad stuff in my time.

Someone should find Chris Martin (where ever he has got to??!!!) and force him to sit down and watch these ads. Tie him to a chair or something like that.

The only bit that seemed oddly out of place was the Debenhams advert but I bet it will turn out that Debenhams used to be on Oxford Street which would sort of tie in? I'm not sure though because I'm not posh enough to do my Christmas shopping on Oxford Street! ;)

Made me laugh and laugh.

Thanks so much for that! :)

love

Freya

hello friends,

super old player here. I think I joined this site in like 03 after hearing clocks on Radio 1. You're all right about everything. Since high school the one constant in my life has been coldplay.

GS gave me hope. "All I Can Think About is You" is like a love child between AROBTTH and X&Y with a modern synth.

It gives me hope.

Now this Oldplayer will go back into the shadows...

jonny

no, you should stay ! We need more Oldplayers like you around !

• Like 2

"All I Can Think About is You" is like a love child between AROBTTH and X&Y with a modern synth.

I think this explains why AICTAIY became my favorite song. [emoji4]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

• Like 2

Long ago I heard Yellow and really liked it but didn't even get to see the music video to "Trouble" till the last year or so.

I'm wondering what people think of Ghost Stories however?

I really like that album and it feels like revisiting something from long ago.

How do the rest of you feel about it?

I like to watch the TV special. I like Oceans with the pier.

There is a pier a bit like that where I am now and it's one of my favourite places to go by a strange coincidence.

love

Freya

• Like 1

Long ago I heard Yellow and really liked it but didn't even get to see the music video to "Trouble" till the last year or so.

I'm wondering what people think of Ghost Stories however?

I really like that album and it feels like revisiting something from long ago.

How do the rest of you feel about it?

I like to watch the TV special. I like Oceans with the pier.

There is a pier a bit like that where I am now and it's one of my favourite places to go by a strange coincidence.

love

Freya

Ghost Stories had too much of an electronic sound for my taste. Although it has grown on me a little over time, it's among the albums I most rarely listen to, which is also due to the fact that unlike most other Coldplay albums i think it only fits a particular mood/setting. Oceans is along with Midnight and Fly On one of my favourite songs from GS though.

• Like 2

I've been following the discussion regarding the X&Y album, with some suggesting that it doesn't flow well, some suggesting certain songs should have been cut, et cetera. This is all fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, including Brian Eno who apparently told them that their songs were too long, everything sounded too "the same", etc (am I the only one that got really defensive and almost angry at reading that part of the article?!).

I must be weird, because I do not agree with any of this. X&Y has always been my absolute favorite Coldplay album. I love the flow, I love each and every song, I do not feel that any one could be axed. I know it had a hard time from reviewers too...

But honestly, X&Y has always been my favorite from beginning to end. I've always felt that it was their "truest" sound, to who they are as a band. I always have thought (and always will feel) that X&Y is freakin' phenomenal. Including the b-sides. Like I said, I must be weird (or really missing something) because this does not seem to be the norm.

• Like 3

@ColdplayingMama I agree that I love X&Y and everything that's great about it and everything that is flawed about it.

But everything that the band and Brian Eno perceived as flawed with X&Y is exactly what spawned the greatness of VLV, and eventually MX. I guess sometimes bad things lead to even greater things than could have imagined (This is a very Chris Martin-like approach of thinking lol)

I agree with you that X&Y really is there core sound in the prime of the band, with Chris in his prime, vocally, as well. It truly followed the natural rock trajectory of Parachutes and AROBTTH, and everything after X&Y is a completely different era of Coldplay (which I also think is great, until AHFOD happened, but that's just my opinion and anyone who loves AHFOD I can completely understand as well).

Overall X&Y is so pure and brilliant and among their best work imo, but I can understand how some people feel it's repetitive and how the exposure of the band until 2005/2006 led to people simply being sick of their sound by the time X&Y was everywhere. So I don't think necessarily that people think X&Y is a bad album, but the band was just overexposed at that point(?)

X&Y was just kind of a mixture of the band losing their way a bit (Phil wasn't there for most of the recording, or something), the joke from the film 40 Year Old Virgin, the band being worn out a bit on radio for multiple years, and the band themselves not liking specific recordings of the hits of that era. Plus a lot of people who don't like Coldplay quickly jump to Chris' nasally, high register early in his career sounding whiny and annoying. But, looking back, all these things don't take away from the great music that the X&Y era produced (especially among us Coldplay fans lol). It's mostly the casual public that are turned off by X&Y songs, and that in turn affected the bands perception of it, it seems.

• Like 2

@ColdplayingMama I agree that I love X&Y and everything that's great about it and everything that is flawed about it.

But everything that the band and Brian Eno perceived as flawed with X&Y is exactly what spawned the greatness of VLV, and eventually MX. I guess sometimes bad things lead to even greater things than could have imagined (This is a very Chris Martin-like approach of thinking lol)

I agree with you that X&Y really is there core sound in the prime of the band, with Chris in his prime, vocally, as well. It truly followed the natural rock trajectory of Parachutes and AROBTTH, and everything after X&Y is a completely different era of Coldplay (which I also think is great, until AHFOD happened, but that's just my opinion and anyone who loves AHFOD I can completely understand as well).

Overall X&Y is so pure and brilliant and among their best work imo, but I can understand how some people feel it's repetitive and how the exposure of the band until 2005/2006 led to people simply being sick of their sound by the time X&Y was everywhere. So I don't think necessarily that people think X&Y is a bad album, but the band was just overexposed at that point(?)

X&Y was just kind of a mixture of the band losing their way a bit (Phil wasn't there for most of the recording, or something), the joke from the film 40 Year Old Virgin, the band being worn out a bit on radio for multiple years, and the band themselves not liking specific recordings of the hits of that era. Plus a lot of people who don't like Coldplay quickly jump to Chris' nasally, high register early in his career sounding whiny and annoying. But, looking back, all these things don't take away from the great music that the X&Y era produced (especially among us Coldplay fans lol). It's mostly the casual public that are turned off by X&Y songs, and that in turn affected the bands perception of it, it seems.

All excellent points. I guess that I've always loved X & Y so much that whenever anything even remotely negative is said about it, I just automatically go into Mama Bear mode and get quite defensive ;)

I just find it a shame that enough negativity flowed around that album (being Phil-less, bad reviews, etc) that it seems to be a bit of a sour point for them when asked about the time in interviews. It's not that I wish they would have kept people like Brian Eno away or ignored any criticism--bands have to evolve--and I have always been a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and what happened with that album led to the beauty that is VLV. Do I still prefer X & Y to VLV? Yes. But dang, VLV is a masterpiece. I'll get off my soapbox now, get out of Mama Bear mode and move onto something else.

That thing being (and maybe it's been discussed on here already so I am sorry if I am being repetitive): I've been listening to Coldplay's absolute oldest works lately (like, pre-Parachutes) and is it just me or were they trying to sound just like Radiohead? I'm having a hard time saying that I love their super early stuff because I have never liked Radiohead...

• Like 2

I think they have always been inspired by other musicians and used that as a jumping off point for their work. Especially when they were first starting. Radiohead or "something like them" was clearly an influence. (I love Radiohead though so that is fine with me lol)

I think they also felt inhibited by genre, Chris especially. Looking back, it is inevitable that their sound would change when in interviews they often shied away from being called a rock band.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I agree, some of their earlier stuff does sound like radiohead, I've actually just started to get into radiohead through coldplay lol. So yeah doesn't really bother me too much either. I can't remember what interview it was exactly but it was pretty funny, the interviewer was asking Chris about influences in parachutes. And Chris pretty much went through the entire album and said what other band influenced the songs. It was all kinda jokey and just having a bit of fun but yeah their early stuff definitely had influences. Not that it is a bad thing at all, like everyone has to start somewhere and it is still definitely different enough to be their own sound.

• Like 1

Hot Take- Brothers and Sisters E.P. is really bad

60% of The Blue Room is pretty good.

See You Soon is the best pre-debut album release. And I really love the early version of Don't Panic, but I can see why they changed it for Parachutes.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
To be honest I like Radiohead but I was never able to relate to them in the same level as Coldplay. Radiohead’s stuff seems maninly a comment on society whereas Coldplay is a lot more introspective.

OK Computer remains a classic though.

So I just had this realization this week myself. While I have liked or loved select Radiohead songs and albums, when I tried to start listening to them as a discography I realized I am just at a different point in my life now Coldplay makes me feel euphoric and I love that feeling. I kind of like staying there.

• Like 2

Attention X&Y fans ! Recently, the full audio of Coachella 2005 was uploaded to Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNQ9hu1Hb64

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNQ9hu1Hb64

Festival appearances during that Era were the best, in my opinion, so I've been waiting for this recording to resurface for a long time !

• Like 5

Attention X&Y fans ! Recently, the full audio of Coachella 2005 was uploaded to Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNQ9hu1Hb64

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNQ9hu1Hb64

Festival appearances during that Era were the best, in my opinion, so I've been waiting for this recording to resurface for a long time !

A million thanks to you for posting this, @I ran away ! I am enjoying listening to this so much! :heart:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...