✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

I think their new live performances come out a necessity that their last two records dictate. AHFOD and GS, as the band have said, have many songs that are programmed and not performed on live instruments. Meanwhile, they have a whole catalog of songs that are instrumentally stunning when performed live. For better AND worse, I think this makes AHFOD Tour their most modern and "pop" yet.

I saw them last year, and was actually shocked how much I enjoyed AHFOD as an intro track with The Dictator. The song was explosive and fun live, though on record its easily my least favorite intro to a Coldplay album ever. It was disappointing knowing that the backdrop of nearly every track on this tour was not performed live in hindsight, but that said, they also have been able to squeeze an impressive number of songs into their setlist and its a wild ride. Some of the best moments of the show, I remember, were not even performed really, like the Midnight interlude and the Paradise Remix, Kaleidoscope....

I largely agree with everyone here, but also, I think the more modern pop and carnival like feel they are going for with their music and concerts means that you sacrifice musicianship for spectacle--and that's partly why the tickets cost so darn much.

P.S. I wish they'd do a 10-year anniversary tour for Viva. Those songs have been so neglected.

I've actually had this thought for a while now. I remain adamant that I'll never attend another one of their shows (my last one was in 09) but if they ever pull out a Joshua Tree and tour Parachutes or AROBTTH I'll be the first in the queue attending multiple shows!!! The Joshua Tree Tour actually brought a huge number of the older fans out the closet which was a spectacle!

The earlier songs carry with them a purity and elegance that the need for confetti and all the disney bullshit goes out the window. Just the boys on their instruments without silly costumes.

I'm really don't know if they gonna do this, because I remember that in the last show in Paris Chris said to us that they're "going disappear for 2 years or so...."

But I really hope that they gonna surprise us like they used too

And sorry, but I think that AHFODTour is the best tour that they've ever had (and I was in every tour since AROBTTH), they really having fun there and happiness with all the crowd, they spread love everywhere, and no it's not disney bullshit it's just magical that you're in Coldplay atmosphere and you don't wanna get out from there and hope it's never gonna end

• Like 2

The AHFOD Tour clearly places showmanship and effects far ahead of the music itself and is mostly based around the last three albums, which is a pity.

I had a lot of fun during the concerts as well but for a band like Coldplay with brilliant older songs it is a shame they are so neglected, and that Chris cares more about jumping around than playing instruments or delivering a flawless vocal performance.

• Like 3

I think their new live performances come out a necessity that their last two records dictate. AHFOD and GS, as the band have said, have many songs that are programmed and not performed on live instruments. Meanwhile, they have a whole catalog of songs that are instrumentally stunning when performed live. For better AND worse, I think this makes AHFOD Tour their most modern and "pop" yet.

I saw them last year, and was actually shocked how much I enjoyed AHFOD as an intro track with The Dictator. The song was explosive and fun live, though on record its easily my least favorite intro to a Coldplay album ever. It was disappointing knowing that the backdrop of nearly every track on this tour was not performed live in hindsight, but that said, they also have been able to squeeze an impressive number of songs into their setlist and its a wild ride. Some of the best moments of the show, I remember, were not even performed really, like the Midnight interlude and the Paradise Remix, Kaleidoscope....

I largely agree with everyone here, but also, I think the more modern pop and carnival like feel they are going for with their music and concerts means that you sacrifice musicianship for spectacle--and that's partly why the tickets cost so darn much.

P.S. I wish they'd do a 10-year anniversary tour for Viva. Those songs have been so neglected.

Ahhhhh yeah the midnight interlude was amazing. Like I'd love them to have performed the full version of Midnight though

^ Yeah, it doesn't fully satisfy the Oldplayer craving for the original Don Quixote, but it is a great step forward (or backward), to energetic rock music with plenty of fun instrumenation.

The lyrics are what's so bothersome here, and the incessant chants throughout. Crossing fingers that the studio version gets rid of some of that and just lets the instrumental do its thing. Sounds like Jonny actually has some folksy great finger-picking during the verses! Recent tracks like Birds, Up&Up, AICTAIY, are great because they avoid an over reliance on chants and let the instruments do the talking, not Chris' hooting. Hoping that the studio version is a new classic.

I will say that "we're all born equal, under the same sun, so do to eachother as you'd be done" ranks on my worst Coldplay lyrics list right along with "once upon a time we fell apart, you're holding in your hands the two halves of my heart," and "Got a tattoo and the pain's alright, just want a way of keeping you in sight."

I guess its forgivable since its so well-meaning, but its rhetorical on like a 3-year old child level.

• Like 1

It's lyrics like that which make me think about my personal conspiracy theory that Chris was cloned and replaced after VLV. Look at his eyes!

Seriously you can't tell me it isn't plausible, where's that conspiracy thread again?

What about his eyes ? :D

It's a joke but I remember seeing the first MX promos post VLV hair era (best hair) and he just looked significantly different. Obviously this was because of his hair, not his fresh new cyborg eyes.

I agree about him looking signifcantly changed as of the MX Era. Before, he had more of a nerdy, dorky appearance (more than today, I mean) The hairstyle, the new biceps...I think in the MX Era he really tried hard to be this "cool" pop star, probably under the influence of 'idols' like Jay-Z or Kanye. I don't like his appearance during the MX Era at all.

• Like 2

It is very obvious something with Chris changed b/w Viva and MX. Appearance, music, dancing. Definitely agree, he changed from an alt. rock star to a pop star.

I tend to think this change has something to with someone that starts with G and ends with wyneth. Or the fact he was more surrounded by pop music and pop culture.

I agree about him looking signifcantly changed as of the MX Era. Before, he had more of a nerdy, dorky appearance (more than today, I mean) The hairstyle, the new biceps...I think in the MX Era he really tried hard to be this "cool" pop star, probably under the influence of 'idols' like Jay-Z or Kanye. I don't like his appearance during the MX Era at all.

If only we were so blessed for Kanye to influence Chris.

• Like 1

In what way would that be a blessing ??

The most important artist of the 21st century rubbing off on Chris? Kanye's artistic vision is clear when you stack the timelines next to each other. Viva and MBDTF, 808s and GS, TCD/LR/Graduation Para/Rush of blood/X&Y. Then we get a split where Kanye continues to push himself artistically with Yeezus and TLOP while Coldplay recedes into pop with AHFOD. Idk if I'll get through with this because as someone who deeply respects Kanye and everything he's done it's hard for me to not see it.

Dreadful song; if you can call it one. It's criminal to compare it with Don Quixote. My god the end of the tour can't come soon enough!

The most important artist of the 21st century rubbing off on Chris? Kanye's artistic vision is clear when you stack the timelines next to each other. Viva and MBDTF, 808s and GS, TCD/LR/Graduation Para/Rush of blood/X&Y. Then we get a split where Kanye continues to push himself artistically with Yeezus and TLOP while Coldplay recedes into pop with AHFOD. Idk if I'll get through with this because as someone who deeply respects Kanye and everything he's done it's hard for me to not see it.

As his fans we've always believed in his genius and I actually think he will get even better. His behavior and psyche is definitely off though and there's no doubt he's an utter moron. Maybe things will get better after his inevitable divorce from the bum lady.

It is very obvious something with Chris changed b/w Viva and MX. Appearance, music, dancing. Definitely agree, he changed from an alt. rock star to a pop star.

I tend to think this change has something to with someone that starts with G and ends with wyneth. Or the fact he was more surrounded by pop music and pop culture.

There was also a more philosophical mindset change he had, getting into mindfulness and stuff which was reflected in the themes of AHFOD. He's much more about hope and rainbows and stuff now. I think he realized that his old mopey way of thinking wasn't doing him any good, and he felt that being more grateful would be less of a waste of time for him and everyone around him. Yeah his ex was definitely contributing to whatever changed him, but in the end it was all Chris. If my memory isn't wrong I know he used to shun or talk down on certain pop artists I think, but his music preferences changed, and I think it has to partially do with the fact he realized Coldplay and other pop artists were on the same boat getting the same crock of shit from critics and nasty people. Like you just want to be happy and make what you want and make others happy, but the media can't help but tear you apart over meaningless things or criticize what you make so harshly- so he starts praising certain artists like One Direction and Bieber, who have gotten rather "mixed" reviews over time. He's just trying to be more open to new things and conscious of his words and actions now. My two cents.

• Like 3

^ Good analysis. One of my fave Coldplay profiles is the 60 Minutes interview in 2008 (I love 60 Minutes). In that interview Chris comes off as jumpy, zany, neurotic, maybe a bit ADHD? Fast forward ten years and he's calm, collected, not terribly worried, at least in his public persona. I too have noticed that he definitely sympathizes with pop artists more than he used to--but I think that is with any artist.

My take is that like all of us, his tastes have changed. We all go through phases of music in our lives, and its not to say that we don't enjoy what we used to (I still love emo and hardcore punk from my younger days), but you just develop new tastes. For Chris, and even Will, I think having kids and youthfulness back in their life means more pop music, more radio friendly stuff, and that helps you slag off your former apprehensions with those genres. It means you give Bieber's or Ariana a chance, and then you come to appreciate the undeniable hooks. I wonder if Chris' new found love for pop is partly out of jealousy? Pursuit for that perfect hook and catchy melody? I don't mean this to sound mean, but I do think Coldplay, as humble as they are, do have a bit of an ego (which they've earned) and a desire that has persisted from their early years to be THE BEST. And to be the best today for them just means making quality, chart-topping music. Hopefully that changes.

• Like 2

^ Good analysis. One of my fave Coldplay profiles is the 60 Minutes interview in 2008 (I love 60 Minutes). In that interview Chris comes off as jumpy, zany, neurotic, maybe a bit ADHD? Fast forward ten years and he's calm, collected, not terribly worried, at least in his public persona. I too have noticed that he definitely sympathizes with pop artists more than he used to--but I think that is with any artist.

My take is that like all of us, his tastes have changed. We all go through phases of music in our lives, and its not to say that we don't enjoy what we used to (I still love emo and hardcore punk from my younger days), but you just develop new tastes. For Chris, and even Will, I think having kids and youthfulness back in their life means more pop music, more radio friendly stuff, and that helps you slag off your former apprehensions with those genres. It means you give Bieber's or Ariana a chance, and then you come to appreciate the undeniable hooks. I wonder if Chris' new found love for pop is partly out of jealousy? Pursuit for that perfect hook and catchy melody? I don't mean this to sound mean, but I do think Coldplay, as humble as they are, do have a bit of an ego (which they've earned) and a desire that has persisted from their early years to be THE BEST. And to be the best today for them just means making quality, chart-topping music. Hopefully that changes.

There's no doubt they've developed an ego when they seem to be almost at the top of the music industry. I think it would take a lot of Willpower not to make it go to your head, with all of that money and fame. I do believe Coldplay has had some of the ultimate catchy ass hooks, some quite iconic, I don't know what exactly they're aiming for. I think it may be just to make anything they want without struggling to conform to one small critic's ideals. Like I know some say they're just following trends, but by following mainstream pop trends it could be just their way of saying "I really don't give a shit about what you underground elitist critics think anymore". That one guy blogging in his basement and shitting on their albums and mainstream music no longer phases them. I agree that their families have definitely had an influence on them too. Family friendly ideals are all over the place in their music. (excluding getting drunk and high).

With the release of the kaleidoscope EP, as much as some like to say they're predictable in some ways they're really not. Like the Radiohead style ALIENS really surprised me. I didn't think they had that in them anymore. A lot of mainstream pop acts don't do certain things like they did in that song, although I could be speaking from a fan bias. That was an oddball track, like I don't know what goes through their head to make that vs something simple like A Sky Full of Stars. What they personal believe sounds like good quality music clashes with some of us in here.

Also just to add, I listened to God Put a Smile Upon Your Face in the Live 2012 performance and I wish Jonny could just let go and maybe start shredding or something more often. Like more intricate riffs and sounds and less monotonous melodies.

• Like 4

The line about them not caring about critics is probably my least favorite thing about them as a band. If you want to exclude their criticism from your design you better turn around with something as fantastic or acclaimed as VLV or AROBTTH. When you say "we don't care" and make AHFOD, it actually sounds like you said "we don't care about our music"

• Like 1

The line about them not caring about critics is probably my least favorite thing about them as a band. If you want to exclude their criticism from your design you better turn around with something as fantastic or acclaimed as VLV or AROBTTH. When you say "we don't care" and make AHFOD, it actually sounds like you said "we don't care about our music"

Really good point. It does feel like they were too complacent with the last album.

Hopefully with the lack of critical recognition recently, they will regain that hunger and passion to "prove wrong" like they did following the backlash from X&Y. But if what Chris is saying is true, that he doesn't read/care about criticism, then probably not.

It seems like their music has been torn to pieces more recently, than X&Y was (which the band points to the turning point in their musical direction and outlook). Outside of Pitchfork (which shreds every Coldplay album, besides MX interestingly enough) and the NYT review, X&Y received high praise it seemed. I don't see any exceptional reviews of GS or AHFOD.

Unfortunately, it feels the band couldn't be happier with where they are, and don't feel the need to push further and deeper.

I think what makes a great band is that they are never satisfied, always pushing for something better and different. Which is what made Coldplay so exceptional between the beginning and MX. Since Brian Eno left the studio, it's been downhill, and the band has become complacent.

With that said, they've still produced some absolute gems (I am a huge fan of Ghost Story, O, Miracles (the older one), Oceans, AHFOD title track and Birds)

• Like 3

The AHFOD Tour clearly places showmanship and effects far ahead of the music itself and is mostly based around the last three albums, which is a pity.

I had a lot of fun during the concerts as well but for a band like Coldplay with brilliant older songs it is a shame they are so neglected, and that Chris cares more about jumping around than playing instruments or delivering a flawless vocal performance.

Ok, but when you're looking in the setlist you've got a mix from everything

And I'm not agree, they're playing great songs from the past on the A and on the C-stage

And yes I wish too that they'll play more from the first 4 albums, but it's not happening :(