🏆 VOTE COLDPLAY AT THE MTV EMA'S 🏆
I ran away

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I honestly think we've gotten to a point now where it's The Saviors vs Alexandria/Hilltop/The Kingdom (any of ye TWD fans out there will know what I mean) here on Coldplaying. I mean, people who have only just discovered the band thanks to AHFOD (or had after it came out) would go back and look at their old stuff (which is great), but considering the first exposure to them was that album, THAT is how they will remember Coldplay's sound as. Catchy and somewhat funky in places, but also very bland, basic, safe. Safer than MX. Safer than GS. Just plain safe. But during Kaleidoscope, the band themselves shuffled out of that safety zone a bit to create AICTAIY, A L I E N S and Hypnotised. Hell, small fractions (like the guitar solo on Up&Up) were fantastic on AHFOD, if it wasn't for the ANNOYING AS FUCK overproduction coming in to dim the spotlight on it. But that's the band. Us, as a fanbase on the other hand? Plenty of us are still in that 'safety zone' and as I said, will remember Coldplay as a pop band, or a rock band with a pop sound. That's not OUR Coldplay.

The reason why I'm using TWD as a comparison? Well, it's kind of obvious. At the time of the AHFOD release, LOADS of people began to leave these forums. They HATED the way the band sounded. But when some people jumped ship, many came aboard. But these 'many' were somewhat MESMERISED by the album. They praised nearly all the songs and jumped all over Chris, basically. Nothing wrong with that, but that seems to have been the trend ever since. Hell, Oldplayers and Newplayers had a forum war for a while.

Now, I'm not saying one group of people are better than the other. I enjoy being in both of those groups. As far as everything goes, it's not how new or how old things are that matter. The thing that REALLY matters is if the music is good. And I like a handful of Newplay songs, and lots of Oldplay songs. But really, they're all Coldplay songs. All of them.

Ever since AHFOD, we've been split into two sides. Before, it was pretty much all civil. Now, it's much different. And let's face it, some of us have gotten way too angry or annoyingly overpraising at times, either ripping the band apart for not being who they used to be or drooling all over anything they put out. I mean, just look at the song for Mexico. You either hated it, or you loved it. There was only a ridiculously small fraction who were indifferent to either side. Yes, I may have been slightly towards not really liking it, but I gave it a CHANCE. Some people just don't give things a chance anymore. But it can also be the other way round, as in, some people don't give songs a CHANCE to resonate with them and just eat them up anyways for no other reason than OMG THATS AMAZING CHRIS!

I just hope eventually, Coldplay drops a song like A L I E N S again , but not on an EP. On an album, as a single. That way, any angry fans would rejoice and any overpraising fans would have a reason to praise the song.

But for now, I guess, it's Oldplayers, Newplayers, and yes, a small fraction of us called Coldplayers.

I agree about him looking signifcantly changed as of the MX Era. Before, he had more of a nerdy, dorky appearance (more than today, I mean).

I am completely unashamed to admit that Chris from the ARoBttH thru Viva eras was one of the most attractive men I'd ever seen :D Those curls . . .

I don't dig his post-MX look as much. The curls are gone! And I dig the lithe look more than the huge biceps. Not that my opinion matters one bit :p

As far as music goes, I've never had a band even get close to mesmerizing me as much as first-four-albums Coldplay did, so I'll continue to give them chances until they eventually disband. Sure, I'd love to have full albums speak to me as much as the first four did, but I'm happy to settle with the occasional flash of brilliance such as A L I E N S, Moving to Mars, Ghost Story, All Your Friends, Midnight, Hypnotised, etc. etc.

Even as they are now, there isn't any other band which can quite nail that sound that's just perfect for me.

• Like 3

As far as music goes, I've never had a band even get close to mesmerizing me as much as first-four-albums Coldplay did, so I'll continue to give them chances until they eventually disband. Sure, I'd love to have full albums speak to me as much as the first four did, but I'm happy to settle with the occasional flash of brilliance such as A L I E N S, Moving to Mars, Ghost Story, All Your Friends, Midnight, Hypnotised, etc. etc.

Even as they are now, there isn't any other band which can quite nail that sound that's just perfect for me.

This is pretty much sums up my feelings too. I think this is the thing that keeps me around but also makes it tough for me to accept how much they've changed. I really have on some level but there's always this longing for anything pre-2011 to the point it haunts me a little. It didn't bother me quite so much a few years ago because fortunately when MX came out it was right around when I'd gotten into Muse and Frank Turner and a couple others bands, so it just felt like I'd sort of moved on and it was OK. Those newer obsessions have sort of faded now, though, even though I really enjoy a lot of music ... and more and more I realize nothing has or will ever carried me more than Coldplay's first decade of music. It just sticks, it's always there when other things fade. The only other band I'd put up there is Keane, and well, they broke up. Once Keane broke up I couldn't help but think how godawful it will be when Coldplay does, because I go back even farther with them than Keane. So I've more and more crawled back to Coldplay. I never want to be that person that hangs out in a fandom way after they're "over" the band and goes to 10 shows on a tour only to bitch about them. I never want to be bitter about things that bring others joy or act like the world revolves around me. I went to several shows because I enjoyed them; I knew what I was going to get going in and loved it for what it was. Even the songs I don't care for, it gives me some happiness seeing how happy those things are making others (including the band), and gives me some perspective. But I'd be lying if I said I don't agonize over how much I wish I could go back and go when they were more "mine". I'm not mad at the band but mad at myself, because I really blew that. What the hell was I doing in my 20s? Well, crying and listening to Coldplay alone, and pursuing an ultimately failed career. But I wish I occasionally took a break from that to go to those shows. or maybe tried posting on the forum then, making friends. It always crossed my mind to go to a concert but was too big a hurdle to achieve and the thing that never occurred to me is that one day Coldplay wouldn't be the same Coldplay ... it was just like, whatever, I can see a show when my life is a in a better place 10 years from now. Looking back that seems stupid because I now know bands change ... they all do, at least a little. I just didn't imagine then they'd ever make something that wasn't like it was written for me; I didn't appreciate how rare that was. I'm really glad I managed to go to one in 2008, and don't get me wrong, I'm really thankful for the ones I've gone to this tour. It's not lost on me how spoiled I am and how many people would kill to be in my shoes. It's just weird, I've got this awful fixation on the past and how much I miss it, and all the things I used to lean on that are going away, and I think since Coldplay's music was such a constant and they're still here, I really obsess over what I wish I could still get out of them. It's not just the songs that are gone from the set, but the tone, the aesthetic, the focus on more difficult emotion rather than dancing and lights and bright colors. Much as I love the energy, it is obvious it physically compromises Chris vocally and restricts the setlist and that's started to bother me a little. There's so little room for the melancholy and catharsis that really move me. But anyway, to circle this ramblefest back to your point, the thing I've come to realize is no matter how many bands I love, no one is going to duplicate the perfect click between me and Coldplay's first four albums. Not even Coldplay. That's the hard thing to accept, even though I can still really enjoy them and that's something. And as you mentioned they do throw us old-schoolers a bone now and then.

Music is a huge part of one's identity and especially so when it's particularly sentimental music like Coldplay's was. It's hard to let go of that and let it be part of someone's else's. They don't make music for me anymore, they make it for someone else. I don't think those people are any less worthy of that than I was (and in some cases more worthy ... I mean I stole Parachutes off the student-share server and never went to their concerts or bought a shirt), but it doesn't make it easier. Maybe Oldplayers come off as angry or overly critical but I think a lot of us just feel left behind by something that used to always be there for us. Personally I'm pretty impressed by how un-nasty people are, both old and new, despite some clear divides over the band's catalog. I also think it's fine for people who want to throw constant heaps of praise on everything they do now to go for it ... shit, enjoy that while you can ... how exciting when you feel that way about a band. Sometimes I feel like a jackass for joining the forum seven years removed from when I was really obsessed with the band, instead of when I should have ... I sort of don't fit with either old fans or new, because I wasn't "in the fandom" or did anything else relevant back then, and now I'm sort of out of touch with the music and just everything generally. But, people are pretty nice and it makes it a pleasant place to share enthusiasm about the things I'm still super hyped about, or discuss old favorites or nostalgia or vent a little about frustrations. So I hope the venting isn't a huge downer for people on here who are thrilled with the new stuff.

Sorry, that was long and not particularly useful, I just felt like spewing some thoughts and I really related to some recent posts in this thread.

• Like 8

Hell, Oldplayers and Newplayers had a forum war for a while.

Maybe I misspoke on the civility in my above post, but I must have come in right after the war. It doesn't seem so bad now, though I'm not super active. I do admittedly notice a big difference in traffic and activity since I used to lurk in older days, but I assumed some of that was due to other social media. Message boards in general don't seem to be that popular with younger generations and the fanbase is getting younger. Partially because of the change in music but also partially because a lot of 30-somethings aren't that involved with fandoms on the internet in general. It just happens. Normally there's ebb and flow but now the flow isn't coming back to forums, it's going to Twitter etc. Or maybe the ebb is. I'm not a tide expert.

• Like 3

Maybe I misspoke on the civility in my above post, but I must have come in right after the war. It doesn't seem so bad now, though I'm not super active. I do admittedly notice a big difference in traffic and activity since I used to lurk in older days, but I assumed some of that was due to other social media. Message boards in general don't seem to be that popular with younger generations and the fanbase is getting younger. Partially because of the change in music but also partially because a lot of 30-somethings aren't that involved with fandoms on the internet in general. It just happens. Normally there's ebb and flow but now the flow isn't coming back to forums, it's going to Twitter etc. Or maybe the ebb is. I'm not a tide expert.

Yes, this was a long while ago, but I had to bring it up. It was around that time the forum became cluttered with people disagreeing on almost everything to do with the band

• Like 1

This was before my time, but from what I've heard from other users (a lot of whom have since moved on), Coldplaying had its heyday around the X&Y-Viva era, which makes sense as that was when message boards like this were the most popular.

Heck, I joined Coldplaying back when I was 14 or 15 and posted all the time. Now I'm almost 22 and I'll go weeks without even so much as visiting the forums. Part of that is that their new material just doesn't enthuse me as much as it used to, part of that is that I have many more responsibilities now. All those people who were teenagers back in the forum's heyday are, as you said, likely in their 20s and 30s now.

There are a lot of factors, really. It's kind of sad though. Even when I joined in late 2010 the forums were still pretty active, and I made a lot of friends and memories on here. That atmosphere, like Coldplay's original music style, will never come back, but we can still enjoy what we have left as something that ties us back to the "good old days."

• Like 3

This was before my time, but from what I've heard from other users (a lot of whom have since moved on), Coldplaying had its heyday around the X&Y-Viva era, which makes sense as that was when message boards like this were the most popular.

Yeah, I used to lurk the forums since around 2006 and joined in late 2007 because of all the hype for what ended up being VLVODAAHF. It certainly was the place to discuss and talk about Coldplay. Then MX came out in 2011 and seriously, it was a pandemonium. Those weeks in which we got ETIAW, then Paradise and the news about the Rihanna collab were brutal. I legit think many people just gave up on the band during that time. Then some others left after ASFOS was released and well, AHFOD and SJLT were the last straw for the remaining. The ones who stayed either honestly like the band's current output (nothing wrong with that) or just rely on the small bits of brilliance we get from time to time.

• Like 2

Yeah, I used to lurk the forums since around 2006 and joined in late 2007 because of all the hype for what ended up being VLVODAAHF. It certainly was the place to discuss and talk about Coldplay. Then MX came out in 2011 and seriously, it was a pandemonium. Those weeks in which we got ETIAW, then Paradise and the news about the Rihanna collab were brutal. I legit think many people just gave up on the band during that time. Then some others left after ASFOS was released and well, AHFOD and SJLT were the last straw for the remaining. The ones who stayed either honestly like the band's current output (nothing wrong with that) or just rely on the small bits of brilliance we get from time to time.

I had wondered if the MX-era was full of drama and figured that would have been a turning point for the old guard -- in some ways it was for me, and unfortunately timed exactly with when I came out of my shell socially. I joined in 2011 or maybe 2010, because that's when I finally decided it would be neat to talk to other fans of bands I liked ... I got into Muse in 2009 and met some other Muse fans online and it made sense to go back and do it with Coldplay with a new album coming. I knew this fansite from earlier lurking (though I really don't even remember exactly when or how much I did ... and didn't the band site have its own forum? Am I hallucinating that? I might have some of CPing confused with that). My initial excitement to join the anticipation for the album sort of fizzled when MX material started coming out so I never posted. I always felt really guilty that I didn't like MX, on top of the fact that I really just dropped my favorite band of 10 years overnight and suddenly decided Muse was the love of my life. Not that you can't change favorite bands, but I wish I could say I was more loyal. Anyhow, I just never had the heart to jump in and criticize the album. But I seem to remember it being pretty booming in terms of discussion volume. I did usually pop in for info on TV appearances or livestreams and whatnot. The attrition since then makes sense to me, even if it's unfortunate. I wish I'd come on to the community earlier and had the memories you guys have, but then again maybe I just would have been troubled by the drama when it hit. I'm glad to have memories of the music and the general times that went with them, and that this place is still here with some nice folks to wax poetic with. I also like seeing people excited over newer stuff, it reminds me that I actually love a lot of it too and to lighten up a little. I don't really find Twitter to be a good place to connect with other fans, it just makes me feel old and boring. To be fair, I mainly use it to complain about car problems and post pictures of electronics I took apart for no reason, so I might be a little boring. :joy:

Coldplaying had its heyday around the X&Y-Viva era, which makes sense as that was when message boards like this were the most popular.

This makes sense, the one forum I did go on in those times was a car forum, and it was a goldmine of info, enthusiasm, civil debates and tip-sharing. It's pretty quiet now, all the old-timers are gone or just visit infrequently. People had families or careers or whatever and drifted off, got rid of their cars for newer, or just use FB for car talk. Probably the same for bands. Most band message boards are relative ghost towns now. One more reason I wish I could go back to the oughties. I can't put down my smartphone now that they exist, but I would love to go back to my little flip phones and their cutting-edge polyphonic ringtones and do that era over and take advantage of the simpler and more thoughtful social opportunities that existed then. Good old days for sure.

• Like 1

or just rely on the small bits of brilliance we get from time to time

This is one of the two main reasons why I still think it makes sense to be in a Coldplay forum. The other one being that no matter how many more SJLTs and ASFOSs and ETIAWs Coldplay puts out in the future, they will always have been the people that made songs such as A Rush of Blood To The Head, Politik, Talk, Things I Don't Understand, Trouble, and so on - you name it. They will always have been the people who gave us 3-4 excellent full-length albums.

I actually had a kind of epiphany in this regard, when a few weeks ago I was listening to I Ran Away, a song that as you know means a lot to me, and thinking about it. I thought no matter how bad the music they are putting out gets, they will always be the ones who created this particular song. How could I ever not have a special connection to them ?

• Like 2

Yes, this was a long while ago, but I had to bring it up. It was around that time the forum became cluttered with people disagreeing on almost everything to do with the band

I'd like to point out I had absolutely no part to play in the wars that ensued following :viva:! I promise!

I do really miss those days though. The Coldplay fire was very much alive in all Oldpayers but my friends all moved on fortunately, or unfortunately! I feel like my seat on this train is now rotten and should be replaced for someone younger and more enthusiastic about the band, but I still lurk around looking to see if I can piss off more people or force the band into early retirement!

I actually had a kind of epiphany in this regard, when a few weeks ago I was listening to I Ran Away, a song that as you know means a lot to me, and thinking about it. I thought no matter how bad the music they are putting out gets, they will always be the ones who created this particular song. How could I ever not have a special connection to them ?

Lucky you! I'm literally unable to do that. I put on I Ran Away and the image of Chris comes into my head sword-fighting Rihanna and then it just ruins the whole thing. I've experienced the evolution of a lot of bands but Coldplay's was too bitter I guess. '97 Radiohead and U2 are still the same band to me today.

This, times 1,000. I've had a few moments like that that brought me comfort lately ... like, nothing will ever take away the feeling I get when I listen to Trouble. Whatever they do, however much they leave me behind, it doesn't change what they gave me back when I needed it so much. As much as they've changed that's still what I think of when I look at them. How lucky to have a band just churn out material I related so well to for a decade. That it didn't last forever doesn't make it any less special.

I'm lucky I still enjoy a fair few songs and there are even a few I've truly adored recently, and I don't really hate anything. But I think even if I did I could never undo the affection I have for them.

Also on a side note I have had I Ran Away stuck in my head a lot the last few days, not sure why. I always liked it but wouldn't say it was a standout favorite, but for some reason I'm just really feeling it now, haha.

A Spell A Rebel Yell came on my Spotify shuffle yesterday and boy, what a unique song! As much as I love the Viva era, I'd somehow forgotten that song existed and I hadn't heard it in ages. It's synth-y and very ethereal at the same time, and the lyrics are simple yet poignant. I almost feel like Ghost Stories could have ended up with a sound similar to this . . .

I had to hit repeat a couple of times :heart:

• Like 4

A Spell A Rebel Yell came on my Spotify shuffle yesterday and boy, what a unique song! As much as I love the Viva era, I'd somehow forgotten that song existed and I hadn't heard it in ages. It's synth-y and very ethereal at the same time, and the lyrics are simple yet poignant. I almost feel like Ghost Stories could have ended up with a sound similar to this . . .

I had to hit repeat a couple of times :heart:

I'm really missing to VLV era!

Just stumbled upon this fairly recent upload of half of an AROBTTH Tour concert in Germany which at least i have never seen before:

• Like 6

Just popping in for the first time in probably 2 years to say that Prospekts March is the most underrated piece of work by Coldplay and is largely better than any of their work since its release :D

• Like 2

Just popping in for the first time in probably 2 years to say that Prospekts March is the most underrated piece of work by Coldplay is largely better than any of their work since its release :D

Agreed 100%. Glass of Water, Postcards, Rainy Day, title track, all masterpieces.

Life in Tech. 2 too.

There is something about the eras of Rush of Blood and Viva in which no other era comes close. They had so many good songs in each of those eras that they couldn't fit it all on a studio album.

• Like 2

Agreed 100%. Glass of Water, Postcards, Rainy Day, title track, all masterpieces.

Life in Tech. 2 too.

There is something about the eras of Rush of Blood and Viva in which no other era comes close. They had so many good songs in each of those eras that they couldn't fit it all on a studio album.

I would personally add the X&Y Era to that - again many stunning B-sides like Gravity, Things I Don't Understand, Proof...

Love PM too - especially Life in Technicolor ii, Glass Of Water, Prospekt's March/Poppyfields, and Lovers in Japan (Osaka Sun Mix) is better than the album version too !

• Like 3

It's one of those hard-to-accept truths that the majority of their current fanbase have never heard of Prospekt's March. Every song on that was a jewel and too good for the band to not release the EP. In regards to whatever came after, what you said is exactly the general consensus on this thread. Almost ten years since Prospekt's March and Oldplayers only have three or four songs we somewhat like.

It's one of those hard-to-accept truths that the majority of their current fanbase have never heard of Prospekt's March.

I was genuinely shocked by this recent poll on Twitter:

[MEDIA=twitter]927636161853505536[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaypolls/status/927636161853505536

Of course, Twitter does tend to overrepresent the newer fanbase as opposed to the older one - but seriously, 32% of those who took the poll say they have never heard "For You"...?!

And the people who follow the "Coldplay Polls" account are probably hardcore Coldplay fans, because I don't think people who are just casual fans would do that, so that doesn't explain the result.

• Like 1

I was genuinely shocked by this recent poll on Twitter:

[MEDIA=twitter]927636161853505536[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaypolls/status/927636161853505536

Of course, Twitter does tend to overrepresent the newer fanbase as opposed to the older one - but seriously, 32% of those who took the poll say they have never heard "For You"...?!

And the people who follow the "Coldplay Polls" account are probably hardcore Coldplay fans, because I don't think people who are just casual fans would do that, so that doesn't explain the result.

I felt the same way, but then I kind of thought about it and I don't know, I could see being pretty into a band and having missed a few B sides. I considered myself a huge Keane fan for years but there have been a couple early releases I just heard for the first time like 3 years ago. And honestly there might be Coldplay demos I either haven't heard or don't remember or heard only (relatively) recently. But then again ... those are bands I got into before Twitter, YT and Spotify were a thing. I dunno, I never want to say people can't be a big fan if they didn't catch every song a band puts out, probably because I could see myself getting criticized if anyone knew me 10 years ago. I guess the part that bothers me is that it's 32% which is a huge amount of people ... for a third of the fans not to have heard that song is more than just a few people who happened to miss it. I'm also especially fond of it, it was one of my first favorites, so I feel personally offended. :joy:

Agreed about both PM and the X&Y B sides. Personally the X&Y era takes the cake for that for me (or AROBTTH), but I think the thing that really stands out with PM was how cohesive it was and how well it flowed with the LP. It was just like we got a whole extra serving of the album just months after it. There are so many gems on that EP and all in one place. That was an awful time in my life, awful, but I still look back on it fondly because of the music and what a wonderful time it was in that regard.

• Like 2

I felt the same way, but then I kind of thought about it and I don't know, I could see being pretty into a band and having missed a few B sides. I considered myself a huge Keane fan for years but there have been a couple early releases I just heard for the first time like 3 years ago. And honestly there might be Coldplay demos I either haven't heard or don't remember or heard only (relatively) recently. But then again ... those are bands I got into before Twitter, YT and Spotify were a thing. I dunno, I never want to say people can't be a big fan if they didn't catch every song a band puts out, probably because I could see myself getting criticized if anyone knew me 10 years ago. I guess the part that bothers me is that it's 32% which is a huge amount of people ... for a third of the fans not to have heard that song is more than just a few people who happened to miss it. I'm also especially fond of it, it was one of my first favorites, so I feel personally offended. :joy:

Agreed about both PM and the X&Y B sides. Personally the X&Y era takes the cake for that for me (or AROBTTH), but I think the thing that really stands out with PM was how cohesive it was and how well it flowed with the LP. It was just like we got a whole extra serving of the album just months after it. There are so many gems on that EP and all in one place. That was an awful time in my life, awful, but I still look back on it fondly because of the music and what a wonderful time it was in that regard.

Yeah exactly, like the viva album just worked. Every song flowed from one to the next nicely and like you said even the EP continued on from the album. But still X&Y will always have a special place for me too.

• Like 1

Just popping in for the first time in probably 2 years to say that Prospekts March is the most underrated piece of work by Coldplay is largely better than any of their work since its release :D

That segue into Poppyfields is :heart_eyes:

I don't listen to Coldplay as often as I used to (my Spotify playlist has expanded exponentially so now there's more on it than Coldplay, Keane, and Muse lol), but Prospekt's March is one of their few songs that I go out of my way to listen to at least once a week. It's not my favorite song of theirs, but I would argue any day of the week that in terms of pure craftsmanship, sonic sound, and lyric-work, it is one of their absolute best.

• Like 4

The only X&Y scraps I like are Pour Me and Gravity

The rest are like out of a lab or something

My 2 year old listens to either Yellow or Trouble on repeat to go to sleep. Yellow is the first song he ever heard- we played it for him within an hour of his birth (I sang Yellow to my wife on our first date).

It’s good to reminisce and hear Parachutes- such a great debut album for them.

• Like 3