✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

E-Lo-E-O-Lo-E-O-Lo-Lo-Lo-Lo.

We're entering the 4chan phase of the band's career!

Pleased to see you here @nvdmm !

I was so disappointed at first too but look on the bright side - if Los Unidades keep releasing this type of music, then Coldplay is free do actually make good music again !

• Like 3

E-Lo-E-O-Lo-E-O-Lo-Lo-Lo-Lo.

We're entering the 4chan phase of the band's career!

I remember seeing your posts on here before with the "2003-2011" thing, but I couldn't remember who it was- nice to see you back!

I'm curious, what are your thoughts on MX and GS? I tend to think of myself as an Oldplayer too, but I still like LP5 and 6 (not as much as 2, 3, 4). 7 not so much, lol. But really, imo, Coldplay was 2000-2014 (not a fan of Pre-Parachutes for the most part, though).

Pleased to see you here @nvdmm !

I was so disappointed at first too but look on the bright side - if Los Unidades keep releasing this type of music, then Coldplay is free do actually make good music again !

Absolutely! We have to remain optimistic and I sincerely hope they remain faithful to their original sound if and when they decide to continue with Coldplay. Los Unidades seems to be more than just a side project for Global Citizen but we're still unaware of the details and what the dynamics are. It's a great initiative though if it turns out to be what we think it is.

I remember seeing your posts on here before with the "2003-2011" thing, but I couldn't remember who it was- nice to see you back!

I'm curious, what are your thoughts on MX and GS? I tend to think of myself as an Oldplayer too, but I still like LP5 and 6 (not as much as 2, 3, 4). 7 not so much, lol. But really, imo, Coldplay was 2000-2014 (not a fan of Pre-Parachutes for the most part, though).

Thank you! 2003-2011 refers to my fanboy period when I followed the band vigorously i.e. paid for their records, went to their live shows and bought merchandise etc. It's not a reference to their music making prowess although their decline began around after VLV and their decline is the reason my fanboy time ended long ago. As for MX and GS I can refer you to my hundreds of posts about those two records but long story short, I see them as missed opportunities. MX could have been something else entirely if they'd released the comics before the album and replaced a lot of the songs (PoC, Paradise etc.) with more raw sounding Major Minus-like tracks. The production was also horrendous. GS suffered the same fate. All Your Friends and Ghost Story should have replaced ASFOS and Ink and the production was again very disappointing. Overall I'm still confident AROBTTH remains their absolute best album to date. It's good the band have realized that majority of people share this opinion.

• Like 6

I love Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends so much, I sometimes need to remind myself how lucky I was to have experienced the Viva tour on September 9th, 2009. Sadly I can barely remember how amazing it must've sounded, and I wasn't such a hardcore fan yet back then... Oh what I would give for just a moment to experience that same day again.... Hearing Strawberry Swing, DAAHF, Glass Of Water, 42, Lovers in Japan, Life In Technicolor ii and the list goes on... Even though I still love their music today (I don't identify myself as a new -or oldplayer), I sometimes desperately wonder where the Coldplay of that day has gone...

• Like 8

I love Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends so much, I sometimes need to remind myself how lucky I was to have experienced the Viva tour on September 9th, 2009. Sadly I can barely remember how amazing it must've sounded, and I wasn't such a hardcore fan yet back then... Oh what I would give for just a moment to experience that same day again.... Hearing Strawberry Swing, DAAHF, Glass Of Water, 42, Lovers in Japan, Life In Technicolor ii and the list goes on... Even though I still love their music today (I don't identify myself as a new -or oldplayer), I sometimes desperately wonder where the Coldplay of that day has gone...

At least you experienced that magic on a given time... I actually never got the chance to go to one of their shows, because of not having enough money or because of work... I feel really bad when I think of all the times they came to my country and I never got to see them...

• Like 6

Just sending a random greeting out to Oldplayers !

I just got reminded in another thread how intolerant some ppl are towards negative opinions on newer songs, and that this Oldplaying thread here is and will always be a safe space :heart:

Listen to Ode To Deodorant... That always cheers me up! XD...

By the way, am I the only one who got excited by listening to that song in high quality on the AHFOD film? I just hope we get the real studio version some day... I wonder who had the CD with the master recording of that song to rip it and add it to the film, maybe Phil?...

Just sending a random greeting out to Oldplayers !

I just got reminded in another thread how intolerant some ppl are towards negative opinions on newer songs, and that this Oldplaying thread here is and will always be a safe space :heart:

One of the reasons I don't go to the Los Unidades thread anymore. If I think a song is crap, can't I say it? :confused:

On another topic, I'm listening to Live In Buenos Aires for the first time.

Some personal notes (so far):

(-) It's cringe af when Chris speaks in spanish. He does that way too many times.

(-) GPASUYF gets worse and worse at each tour. That Life is Beautiful part is awful. And the obscurity and slow start of the song is completely gone.

(-) Yellow seems so out of place between AHFOD and ETIAW (two powerful songs). It should be Birds after Yellow.

(+) AIMH, Magic and Everglow fit very well together. I liked that part.

(+) Musically talking, I don't like the Paradise remix outro. But it is a good addition for a stadium show. It gives so much energy.

(+) AHFOD is an incredible song performed live.

So far it's pretty good. Listening to Clocks now. Tomorrow I'll comment the rest.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
One of the reasons I don't go to the Los Unidades thread anymore. If I think a song is crap, can't I say it? :confused:

On another topic, I'm listening to Live In Buenos Aires for the first time.

Some personal notes (so far):

(-) It's cringe af when Chris speaks in spanish. He does that way too many times.

(-) GPASUYF gets worse and worse at each tour. That Life is Beautiful part is awful. And the obscurity and slow start of the song is completely gone.

(-) Yellow seems so out of place between AHFOD and ETIAW (two powerful songs). It should be Birds after Yellow.

(+) AIMH, Magic and Everglow fit very well together. I liked that part.

(+) Musically talking, I don't like the Paradise remix outro. But it is a good addition for a stadium show. It gives so much energy.

(+) AHFOD is an incredible song performed live.

So far it's pretty good. Listening to Clocks now. Tomorrow I'll comment the rest.

I just really got bored if I'm honest. I felt so removed from the whole thing I skipped most of it. I felt an unhealthy dose of indifference towards the band afterwards so I put in Live 2003 and all is well now! GPASUYF alone revitalized my soul!

• Like 1

And the obscurity and slow start of the song is completely gone.

Glad someone said that, I thought I was the only one who felt bugged by that ! The atmosphere of this song is totally ruined in the MX ("wannabe hard rock") and AHFOD ("give me a whoop whoop") tour versions imho.

I felt an unhealthy dose of indifference towards the band afterwards so I put in Live 2003 and all is well now!

I sometimes have to do that kind of thing as well to remind me of why this is my favourite band. But then when I listen to an early album, it doesn't take me long to get reminded of why I fell in love with their music.

I also frequently look at it this way: Whatever negative direction they have taken or might take in their music, they will always be the people who created I Ran Away. The people who created the X&Y album. The people who created AROBTTH. And nothing in the world can ever change anything about that. :heart:

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't know where else to say this but I finally found the original FLAC distribution of Draft 8 (I think it was 8) of Square Peg in a Round Hole that was released on a hi-fi site as a promo. I lost the FLAC copy and had some shitty mp3s that were converted way back when but god it feels good to have my personal favorite version of the album back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Let's revive this thread !

I recently came across this on Youtube:

It's a rare acoustic session of the X&Y Era. Not the best quality, but it does have gems like A Message (although not as good as the other acoustic version of A Message that exists.) Enjoy !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I really love this song at the moment:

The rare thing about this collaboration from 2003 is that not only Chris but also Jonny features, on lead guitar !

The times when Chris still added his lovely voice to quality songs and not every random pop or rap piece. Sigh.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I always like coming back to this version of Moses. Best version of the song I've heard, and there are plenty of greats from that era. Just listen to Chris in that chorus... his voice isn't terrible nowadays, but I'm convinced he will never be able to hit a note quite like that "Baby IIIIIIIIIIIII......." again.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I always like coming back to this version of Moses. Best version of the song I've heard, and there are plenty of greats from that era. Just listen to Chris in that chorus... his voice isn't terrible nowadays, but I'm convinced he will never be able to hit a note quite like that "Baby IIIIIIIIIIIII......." again.

Coldplay in its purest, most undiluted form.

• Like 1