✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Did you liked Chris' speech at the end of the tour?

I liked the part of "this is the end of a chapter, from now on it'll be full of surprises", that really gives me some hope about the future, although it could be a bad surprise :p but let's not think of the worst case scenario...

On the other hand the "We're in this together! Anything is possible if you never give up. And if you believe in love!". I do like love and togetherness, but I'm getting a little tired of this bulls**t. Sorry if you don't agree with me, but that's just my opinion. Don't mean to offend anyone. I miss the "I don't give a fuck" Chris who just appears in the middle of the MTV EMA without his pants and Jonny goes Jazz and the Nappies and stuff like that. And you go to Super Bowl, where 90% of the public are men above his 40's and you sing about "Believing in Love".

And please bring back Brian Eno!

Eh. I see your point but you have to understand Chris has a different mentality that he used to do back in those days and he probably won't act like he did a decade ago. He's always been a really nice and down to earth guy but I feel like he takes things less seriously and has embraced a very optimistic and positive approach of life. It has led to some really bland music mostly, but most of it sounds genuine. In the end they'll do what they want to do but I kinda envy the ones who keep believing in the band doing an album inspired by their roots/a return to the old sound. Like dieselbenz has said, they really seem to want to distance from the old sound.

He's always been a really nice and down to earth guy but I feel like he takes things less seriously and has embraced a very optimistic and positive approach of life. It has led to some really bland music mostly, but most of it sounds genuine.

Yeah if there's one thing I never question, it's that what he's espousing is genuine. I don't think that's changed. And honestly I think he's always had a sense of fun and playfulness, even when the music was darker. He seems to have just found a groove that works for him in the positivity thing. On some level it makes me smile. He's such a good soul and if he's found that peace, why wouldn't I want that for him? It's just that I'm smiling from another planet, because that is not the one I'm on.

Chris has always been an optimistic guy. I like that. I really do. But mostly this era, it seems like he forces it too much. I mean, the majority of the songs this era were about happiness and togetherness and possibility (Up&Up, AHFOD, Miracles(SE), LiB, etc.) and i don't feel like it's really genuine and the reason he is like that, it's because it fits the "album theme". I mean, what king of guy breaks up from his wife of ten years, make a super sad album and a year after is saying "life is beautiful", "anything is possible if you believe in love"? He must be really optimistic because I wouldn't handle it very well, or recover only after a year...

That being said, I don't want Chris to be sad :p at all. It just feels... weird.

Did you liked Chris' speech at the end of the tour?

I liked the part of "this is the end of a chapter, from now on it'll be full of surprises", that really gives me some hope about the future, although it could be a bad surprise :p but let's not think of the worst case scenario...

On the other hand the "We're in this together! Anything is possible if you never give up. And if you believe in love!". I do like love and togetherness, but I'm getting a little tired of this bulls**t. Sorry if you don't agree with me, but that's just my opinion. Don't mean to offend anyone. I miss the "I don't give a fuck" Chris who just appears in the middle of the MTV EMA without his pants and Jonny goes Jazz and the Nappies and stuff like that. And you go to Super Bowl, where 90% of the public are men above his 40's and you sing about "Believing in Love".

And please bring back Brian Eno!

The end of a chapter part really stuck with me since I'm going to college next year and it's like everything I've known my whole life is going to change yet I currently know nothing about what it might be, which is exactly what the future of the band is. Since they really became famous the year I was born, it's like Coldplay itself is entering the adult world too...it's like their first seven albums with their huge range of phases were childhood and now whatever they do will be adulthood.

• Like 1

Chris has always been an optimistic guy. I like that. I really do. But mostly this era, it seems like he forces it too much. I mean, the majority of the songs this era were about happiness and togetherness and possibility (Up&Up, AHFOD, Miracles(SE), LiB, etc.) and i don't feel like it's really genuine and the reason he is like that, it's because it fits the "album theme". I mean, what king of guy breaks up from his wife of ten years, make a super sad album and a year after is saying "life is beautiful", "anything is possible if you believe in love"? He must be really optimistic because I wouldn't handle it very well, or recover only after a year...

That being said, I don't want Chris to be sad :p at all. It just feels... weird.

Yeah I keep wondering how it's possible to go from totally regretting something and focusing all your energy on it to being completely happy and in the present in such a short period of time. There has to be some moments when he misses the old days...

Oh I don't doubt for a second he still has the struggles and dark feelings, but that doesn't mean it's not genuine that he chose to group all the positive ones onto one album. I don't think he tries to be happy all the time, he's actually said otherwise in relatively recent interviews. I think the happiness is what he chooses to reflect artistically. I mean, The National chooses to reflect misery most of all the time, but they are usually happy, hilarious guys ... are they not genuine? Like anyone, the struggle sometimes and they cope with it by using it as musical inspiration. I think Chris reflected a lot of his lower moments on GS but once he'd started to turn a corner he decided to do the opposite for the next album. Personally, sure, I wish deeply that he'd dump some of the less-happy moments he inevitably has on us, because sad music is how I cope and I also think it's artistically more interesting. Or that he'd still chose some deeper, more difficult thoughts as subject. But I don't think it's fair to say there's pretense in basing a period of artistic output on one group of feelings instead of another. I.e., if they made a totally pensive, sad album, would anyone say "that's BS, he's not pensive and sad all the time"? Don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from because I have similar feelings sometimes ... it's just I catch myself and realize I'm not being particularly fair.

• Like 1

The end of a chapter part really stuck with me since I'm going to college next year and it's like everything I've known my whole life is going to change yet I currently know nothing about what it might be, which is exactly what the future of the band is. Since they really became famous the year I was born, it's like Coldplay itself is entering the adult world too...it's like their first seven albums with their huge range of phases were childhood and now whatever they do will be adulthood.

That's actually a really cool parallel to have, even though I know it's scary. College is where I started with them -- Parachutes came out when I was 18 -- so for me the parallel is like their evolution has been my whole adult life. I'm sort of dreading my next chapter so I think that paints my reaction to the idea of Coldplay starting a new one. I hope for you college turns out to be an exciting and hopeful change. College had its rough patches for me but it was also one of my best times; it felt like I could be anything and I loved just being immersed in learning. Like I said somewhere above, sometimes not knowing can be exhilarating even if unnerving. Hopefully whatever Coldplay does will give you a link between your new world and old.

This sounds very similar to my own situation! Except I'll be graduating from college next year rather than starting it :p Coldplay was formed about two months after I was born, so they've literally been around my entire life (even if I didn't know about them until I was 12-13).

College is a blast! It can be daunting at first, but try not to stress out about it too much. These past 3.5 years have been some of the best of my life, and if you go into it with an open mind, it will be the same for you too :blush:

• Like 1

I looked up one of the old Coldplay.com website designs from late 2010 for a school project and holy nostalgia Batman! I remember visiting the site every day hoping for a new Roadie #42 post. Note they still have a link for LRLRL :laughing:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100701063827/http://coldplay.com/

Wow! Love it! I have a question that maybe someone could answer...About what time did the Hypnofeed appear on their website?

Wow! Love it! I have a question that maybe someone could answer...About what time did the Hypnofeed appear on their website?

I would say pretty soon right after that page. Wouldn't even begin to be able to pinpoint it myself but here's a capture of the site from Sept. 2010 which has it. https://web.archive.org/web/20100922055609/http://coldplay.com/. Looking back I wish I saved every Messenger email. I have the first one and a couple other random ones still in my inbox but if I had all of them it'd be fun to look through them and remember.

Edit: here's a thread from the forum on the HF https://coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/hypnofeed.91936/ ... I guess it was later that it started hosting fan submissions and sort of merged with the Exhibition thing. But I think it started out as the random news feed as in the 2010 page. Tbh I don't really remember well. I had really gotten into Muse by then so I wasn't paying as much attention through MX but I also just have a crap memory. :expressionless: I'm sure someone else has a better recall of it.

• Like 1

That's actually a really cool parallel to have, even though I know it's scary. College is where I started with them -- Parachutes came out when I was 18 -- so for me the parallel is like their evolution has been my whole adult life. I'm sort of dreading my next chapter so I think that paints my reaction to the idea of Coldplay starting a new one. I hope for you college turns out to be an exciting and hopeful change. College had its rough patches for me but it was also one of my best times; it felt like I could be anything and I loved just being immersed in learning. Like I said somewhere above, sometimes not knowing can be exhilarating even if unnerving. Hopefully whatever Coldplay does will give you a link between your new world and old.

This sounds very similar to my own situation! Except I'll be graduating from college next year rather than starting it :p Coldplay was formed about two months after I was born, so they've literally been around my entire life (even if I didn't know about them until I was 12-13).

College is a blast! It can be daunting at first, but try not to stress out about it too much. These past 3.5 years have been some of the best of my life, and if you go into it with an open mind, it will be the same for you too :blush:

Aw thanks! Good luck to both of you too:)

• Like 2

But yeah, the final speech made me feel more left behind. I wish I could feel the way about it as others who are so enthusiastic. Maybe I'm just sad about the feeling it's even more the end of something. When Chris said it's the end of a chapter, that hit me like a ton of bricks and not in a good way. They already seem so far from where we started, and like they want to put their early eras behind them, and it seems like now they want to get farther from it.

In the end they'll do what they want to do but I kinda envy the ones who keep believing in the band doing an album inspired by their roots/a return to the old sound. Like dieselbenz has said, they really seem to want to distance from the old sound.

This trying to distance themselves from their older eras/sound by either not playing older songs despite many people even requesting them or playing some of the bigger hits in a half-hearted manner simply because they have to makes me very sad too. Are they aware how much they mean to a lot of people ?

Are they aware that their fanbase grew on people who bought and loved those albums and concerts back then, exactly the kind of people who would not have bought or or love MX, GS, AHFOD or the AHFOD Tour setlist if those had been the band's first releases ?

I'm not saying they should keep their sound the same, but a little more appreciation for their actual masterpieces would not hurt.

And i agree this "Anything is possible if only you believe in love bla bla" has become a little bit too forced...

• Like 2

#JusticeForX&Y

If only. :sob: I know they don't like it, but come on fellas, I just want to be able to exonerate myself from the eternal regret of not going when my sister and her husband offered for me to go with them in 2005 but I didn't because I "had to work" and lived three hours away. In hindsight I'd go to Antarctica to see an X&Y era show. Hell if I could just hear What If and A Message ... *sigh*.

• Like 2

^ #bringbackGPASUYF #bringbackPolitik #bringbacktheX&Ysongs #bringbacktheVivasongs

#doyouknowhowmuchmoneyiwouldpaytoattendavivaeraconcert

#itsalotofmoney

Honestly I could write an honors thesis on why Politik should be in the set. Maybe I should do it and drop it off at The Bakery next time I'm in London. With a painting of one of Guy's cars to sweeten the pot.

If only. :sob: I know they don't like it, but come on fellas, I just want to be able to exonerate myself from the eternal regret of not going when my sister and her husband offered for me to go with them in 2005 but I didn't because I "had to work" and lived three hours away. In hindsight I'd go to Antarctica to see an X&Y era show. Hell if I could just hear What If and A Message ... *sigh*.
Oh man. I wouldn't be able to sleep satisfied if I did that mistake...

Oh man. I wouldn't be able to sleep satisfied if I did that mistake...

One of many mistakes. Kicker is that my career sank like a concrete block and I have nothing to show for a decade of self-deprivation. I had other issues too though, what can you do. Best I can do is try to get as much right as I can now. Just sucks a lot of opportunities are gone. For me, regret is the hardest emotion to deal with, big or small. But it's funny I dwell on the band-relates ones the most. Priorities. :joy:

Edit: funny aside to that regret is that my sister and her husband left before the encore because they didn't like the pot smell in the lawn. I like to hope they wouldn't have made me leave since I was a big fan, but given that they could both be quite strong-willed and I was a wimp, they really might have. I would never have forgiven them. My family would be torn apart. Maybe worth it, though?

• Like 1

One of many mistakes. Kicker is that my career sank like a concrete block and I have nothing to show for a decade of self-deprivation. I had other issues too though, what can you do. Best I can do is try to get as much right as I can now. Just sucks a lot of opportunities are gone. For me, regret is the hardest emotion to deal with, big or small. But it's funny I dwell on the band-relates ones the most. Priorities. :joy:

Edit: funny aside to that regret is that my sister and her husband left before the encore because they didn't like the pot smell in the lawn. I like to hope they wouldn't have made me leave since I was a big fan, but given that they could both be quite strong-willed and I was a wimp, they really might have. I would never have forgiven them. My family would be torn apart. Maybe worth it, though?

I have a experience like that too but not as dramatic. The summer two years ago I sold my ticket to NOS Alive because I got a summer job and I couldn't attend the festival. The job sucked and I quitted. And I couldn't go to the festival anymore because the tickets were sold out.

That day of NOS Alive had bands like Radiohead, Tame Impala, Foals, Two Door Cinema Club, Biffy Clyro and Pixies (only for 55€). So much regrets. :/

• Like 1

I have a experience like that too but not as dramatic. The summer two years ago I sold my ticket to NOS Alive because I got a summer job and I couldn't attend the festival. The job sucked and I quitted. And I couldn't go to the festival anymore because the tickets were sold out.

That day of NOS Alive had bands like Radiohead, Tame Impala, Foals, Two Door Cinema Club, Biffy Clyro and Pixies (only for 55€). So much regrets. :/

Oh that's definitely a bummer. I think over life we all end up with a few of those things. You always look back and think, that job wasn't worth it, but when you're in that situation you know you also have to be responsible and that work ethic is important, etc. We don't get the benefit of looking ahead and knowing if jobs are going to fizzle, or knowing if opportunities will not come again. At the time I wouldn't have thought Coldplay was going to change, so, I could just see them later and it would be the same. I hope in your case you will get a chance to see some of those bands from the NOS Alive lineup another time.

This trying to distance themselves from their older eras/sound by either not playing older songs despite many people even requesting them or playing some of the bigger hits in a half-hearted manner simply because they have to makes me very sad too. Are they aware how much they mean to a lot of people ?

Are they aware that their fanbase grew on people who bought and loved those albums and concerts back then, exactly the kind of people who would not have bought or or love MX, GS, AHFOD or the AHFOD Tour setlist if those had been the band's first releases ?

I'm not saying they should keep their sound the same, but a little more appreciation for their actual masterpieces would not hurt.

And i agree this "Anything is possible if only you believe in love bla bla" has become a little bit too forced...

I think they really do know how much these songs mean to a lot of people. But it depends where the band's frame of mind is right now. Like if they just don't feel like playing those songs and don't really have any feeling driving the songs, they're just going to sound stale and forced as well. But I mean I'd love to hear Politik live again and spies as well actually. Also they'd need to go over their songs again and re-remember the lyrics lol... Just reminds me of Chris not remembering what song "Swallowed in the sea" was when they were up on stage...