✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Just going to put out an unpopular opinion in hopes that an oldplayer will agree with me, at least in the slightest:

I think X&Y is the weakest Coldplay album not including A Head Full of Dreams. To me, the second half of the album gets a little bit bland imo. But Im not going to ignore the obviously fantastic moments on there (Square One, Talk, Speed of Sound, Fix You, Twisted Logic, etc). Its just that as a whole, you can tell it was rushed, and it kinda was when you read up on what the band say themselves. The production is a little bit muddy, even for an album from 2005. Like the band said, the album was a bit too long and the runtimes for some songs were a little long as well. There are just moments where I want the sound to really explode and, well, it just doesnt for me :/

I see X&Y as a record that had great ambitions (Space Rock influences and all), but was let down by improper production to get the job done. A L I E N S is an excellent example of what X&Y should've been. Perhaps Brian Eno should've collabed with the band much earlier...

Your guys' thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just going to put out an unpopular opinion in hopes that an oldplayer will agree with me, at least in the slightest:

I think X&Y is the weakest Coldplay album not including A Head Full of Dreams. To me, the second half of the album gets a little bit bland imo. But Im not going to ignore the obviously fantastic moments on there (Square One, Talk, Speed of Sound, Fix You, Twisted Logic, etc). Its just that as a whole, you can tell it was rushed, and it kinda was when you read up on what the band say themselves. The production is a little bit muddy, even for an album from 2005. Like the band said, the album was a bit too long and the runtimes for some songs were a little long as well. There are just moments where I want the sound to really explode and, well, it just doesnt for me :/

I see X&Y as a record that had great ambitions (Space Rock influences and all), but was let down by improper production to get the job done. A L I E N S is an excellent example of what X&Y should've been. Perhaps Brian Eno should've collabed with the band much earlier...

Your guys' thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it has enough good tracks to pull ahead of GS and MX. What If isn't that good but it isn't ASFOS or Up In Flames.

Your guys' thoughts?

Although I am aware that X&Y tends to be considered the weakest album out of the oldplay records, it holds a strong space in my heart. The spacey feeling and Chris's soothing and smooth voice all over the tracks just makes it really memorable for me, and even though I think AROBTTH is my favourite of their albums, X&Y gives me somewhat more nostalgia overall. Somehow, I do quite enjoy those "boring" moments as some may say, but it's the feeling and retrospection each songs brings to my life. And that also includes the B-sides! I ran away, things I don't understand, How you see the world, Gravity, etc. are simply classic Coldplay songs in my opinion which share that distinctive deep nostalgic space rock sound that satisfies my ears and insights to say the least haha. Although I love that raw sound Parachutes and AROBTTH brings, that perfectionist X&Y sound was the first album that I first convinced my best friend with that Coldplay was really good and I just remember us listening to the whole thing without skipping one song and telling ourselves after what an amazing record we had ourselves in our hands. Maybe I'm biased and letting my nostalgia take over, but songs like Swallowed in the sea, X&Y, Fix You, Speed, etc really makes it hard for me to think this could be their "weakest" one yet out of those. I guess it all comes to personal taste and memories related to it but I do get your point which I wouldn't say is least popular.

• Like 4

Just noting: I Ran Away is an AROBTTH B-side, not from X&Y.

I love X&Y. I agree that the album flow is not as good as the on AROBTTH, but I love its individual songs more than the ones on AROBTTH. It is both comforting/soothing and rousing/anthemic, and deals with both wonder at the world and insecurity over one's own place in it. I love the songs on X&Y and its B-sides.

• Like 2

Although I am aware that X&Y tends to be considered the weakest album out of the oldplay records, it holds a strong space in my heart. The spacey feeling and Chris's soothing and smooth voice all over the tracks just makes it really memorable for me, and even though I think AROBTTH is my favourite of their albums, X&Y gives me somewhat more nostalgia overall. Somehow, I do quite enjoy those "boring" moments as some may say, but it's the feeling and retrospection each songs brings to my life. And that also includes the B-sides! I ran away, things I don't understand, How you see the world, Gravity, etc. are simply classic Coldplay songs in my opinion which share that distinctive deep nostalgic space rock sound that satisfies my ears and insights to say the least haha. Although I love that raw sound Parachutes and AROBTTH brings, that perfectionist X&Y sound was the first album that I first convinced my best friend with that Coldplay was really good and I just remember us listening to the whole thing without skipping one song and telling ourselves after what an amazing record we had ourselves in our hands. Maybe I'm biased and letting my nostalgia take over, but songs like Swallowed in the sea, X&Y, Fix You, Speed, etc really makes it hard for me to think this could be their "weakest" one yet out of those. I guess it all comes to personal taste and memories related to it but I do get your point which I wouldn't say is least popular.

Couldn't have put it better. I'd like to add that nostalgia also plays a big part for me personally. But in terms of sheer quality and musicianship X&Y is absolutely amazing and compared to the band's output since 2008 it stands as a record to cherish and remember. And the B-sides are just beautiful. And the music world has only recently realized how many of the band's greatest songs are on that album. Square One, Fix You, Talk, Til Kingdom Come etc.

• Like 2

Now you see, this is why I do have to contextualize my disdain for X&Y a bit. This is also why music is so cool, because people have different memories attached to different albums/songs, so it hold different significance to everyone.

I first started listening to Coldplay in 2002, just after AROBTTH. Before then, music was not very important to me. My parents were never particularly interested in music, so I never had anyone to "guide" me through music and how awesome it could be. "The Scientist" was the first song I had ever listened to that did something to me. Before, music was just... there. I had such a strong reaction to that song... it was like a light switch being thrown. It was also like the first whiff of a very addictive drug that has persisted to this day-- and I owe that to this band. That's a hefty thing: an integral part of my life's meaning and identity.

I obsessed about the coming of the new album. I waited three long years to hear new Coldplay songs (which to me was something so inconceivably awesome I could barely handle it) and to see them live (which, at that point, was basically my life's goal).

When X&Y came out, I listened to it dozens and dozens of times. I picked out parts of songs I liked and tried mercilessly to convince myself that this album was what I wanted. And it just... wasn't I didn't have one of those "oh shit" moments like I had had with almost every song off the first two. It just felt overly-polished, flat, and boring. Durign that time I listened to that album possibly 100s of times-- all begrudgingly. I just wanted to love it so much, but I didn't and I had to come to terms with the fact that Coldplay kind of let me down. And that's a big stain on what otherwise could be considered a good album.

And years later, I still return time and time again to Rush and Parachutes (and, later, Viva), but X&Y literally never occurs to me. I just never got into my bloodstream like the others.

• Like 1

"The Scientist" was the first song I had ever listened to that did something to me. Before, music was just... there. I had such a strong reaction to that song... it was like a light switch being thrown. It was also like the first whiff of a very addictive drug that has persisted to this day-- and I owe that to this band. That's a hefty thing: an integral part of my life's meaning and identity.

I agree about how memories can affect inclination towards songs, but I think that taste plays a huge role. I think there are basically two types of music listeners - those that focus on the lyrics and melody, and those that pay attention to the general music and atmosphere of a song. I tend to be the latter, while it seems to me you are the former. This is why no matter how hard I tried and how many times I listened to it, I could never enjoy or get into "The Scientist", never liked the song, one of my least favorite. On the contrary, the spacey songs on X&Y are so beautiful they can put me in a melancholy trance. I have never grown tired of this album.

• Like 2

I agree about how memories can affect inclination towards songs, but I think that taste plays a huge role. I think there are basically two types of music listeners - those that focus on the lyrics and melody, and those that pay attention to the general music and atmosphere of a song. I tend to be the latter, while it seems to me you are the former. This is why no matter how hard I tried and how many times I listened to it, I could never enjoy or get into "The Scientist", never liked the song, one of my least favorite. On the contrary, the spacey songs on X&Y are so beautiful they can put me in a melancholy trance. I have never grown tired of this album.

It's tough for me to decide which type of music listener I am, but I generally tend to favor melody -> atmosphere -> style of voice (if there is such) and theeeeen I start paying attention to the lyrics. However, the first time I listened to The Scientist I loved it, not because it had mind blowing music or even a powerful message, but because it was so simple, so raw, so emotional.. just the way each instrument complemented Chris' melancholic tone with such perfection and the way Will subtly backs up with vocals which leads up to Johnny just keeping it classic on the riffs and then all of them meshing and ending in a smooth yet moving way... man idk, I might not listen to that song as much as I did sometime in my life, but to me it will always remain one of the most classic and beloved Coldplay songs to date. But yeah I guess its like you say, all a matter of taste because I also hold X&Y in a similar top place but with a different perspective on it. Cheers

• Like 2

i think i'm the same way - imo X&Y is also probably Chris's best use of his voice as an instrument, which helps add to that atmosphere and makes it really easy to not care about the lyrics :P

• Like 1

Interesting ! I am personally a very melody-oriented listener, although the atmosphere or vibe of a song also contributes a lot to my liking a song or not. One of the reasons why I fell in love with Coldplay's music is that they are a melodically very strong band. They just have a knack for creating timeless melodies (the songs on X&Y are some great examples actually), and I think the moment I realize this the most is when I realized to different arrangements, e.g. on piano or orchestral arrangements. Then you realize the melodies they have written are just timeless and powerful.

• Like 2

Now you see, this is why I do have to contextualize my disdain for X&Y a bit. This is also why music is so cool, because people have different memories attached to different albums/songs, so it hold different significance to everyone.

I first started listening to Coldplay in 2002, just after AROBTTH. Before then, music was not very important to me. My parents were never particularly interested in music, so I never had anyone to "guide" me through music and how awesome it could be. "The Scientist" was the first song I had ever listened to that did something to me. Before, music was just... there. I had such a strong reaction to that song... it was like a light switch being thrown. It was also like the first whiff of a very addictive drug that has persisted to this day-- and I owe that to this band. That's a hefty thing: an integral part of my life's meaning and identity.

I obsessed about the coming of the new album. I waited three long years to hear new Coldplay songs (which to me was something so inconceivably awesome I could barely handle it) and to see them live (which, at that point, was basically my life's goal).

When X&Y came out, I listened to it dozens and dozens of times. I picked out parts of songs I liked and tried mercilessly to convince myself that this album was what I wanted. And it just... wasn't I didn't have one of those "oh shit" moments like I had had with almost every song off the first two. It just felt overly-polished, flat, and boring. Durign that time I listened to that album possibly 100s of times-- all begrudgingly. I just wanted to love it so much, but I didn't and I had to come to terms with the fact that Coldplay kind of let me down. And that's a big stain on what otherwise could be considered a good album.

And years later, I still return time and time again to Rush and Parachutes (and, later, Viva), but X&Y literally never occurs to me. I just never got into my bloodstream like the others.

I'm the completely opposite X&Y got my into coldplay. Idk my very first coldplay song was viva la vida, then I moved to paradise then somehow started listening through X&Y as my first album and I was just amazed. Idk for me the whole album just worked, which is odd because that's the opposite of what other people think. And for the type of listener I am I think it changes but I'm probably a lot more lyrically orientated but if something sounds really cool, I'll probably end up liking it but if it doesn't have all that great lyrics, will probably take a couple weeks before I do like it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

X&Y is such an amazing album, I remember when it was first came out I was so amazed from their work they've done their, it feels like that Coldplay got into massive rock style that I included the first two albums

it's really shame that they're not playing songs from this album cause they don't like it

I really hope that one they're gonna back to play low, a message, talk, speed of sound (when the last time i heard this song was on MX tour in 2012), low, white shadows etc.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I was just watching this and thinking: oh man what I would give to be in that crowd listening to that music again. For me, both liking their new and old songs I do slightly prefer the old ways of performing. I mean, the xylobands, balloons, fireworks and confetti are awesome... but just look at this crowd going crazy with just the four of them playing an awesome tune. No need for anything else.

I also often think Jonny, Guy and Will were enjoying themselves more back then (even during MX) than they are doing now. Just look at the way they move around on the stage. These days Guy and Jonny have become quite invisible (without moving a lot) and the show seems to revolve around Chris more and more.

• Like 9

I was just watching this and thinking: oh man what I would give to be in that crowd listening to that music again. For me, both liking their new and old songs I do slightly prefer the old ways of performing. I mean, the xylobands, balloons, fireworks and confetti are awesome... but just look at this crowd going crazy with just the four of them playing an awesome tune. No need for anything else.

I also often think Jonny, Guy and Will were enjoying themselves more back then (even during MX) than they are doing now. Just look at the way they move around on the stage. These days Guy and Jonny have become quite invisible (without moving a lot) and the show seems to revolve around Chris more and more.

I completely agree with this comment.

What's even crazier to me is opening with an instrumental. I like MX but it's always paired with HLH, it's more of an extended intro. I can't see 2017 Coldplay having the balls to say "We're gonna open with this track and let the music speak for itself". It's a level of respect they had for their own music that I don't see anymore.

You're not pleasing old fans by shitting out a performance of In My Place 20 times on the tour.

• Like 2

I think their new live performances come out a necessity that their last two records dictate. AHFOD and GS, as the band have said, have many songs that are programmed and not performed on live instruments. Meanwhile, they have a whole catalog of songs that are instrumentally stunning when performed live. For better AND worse, I think this makes AHFOD Tour their most modern and "pop" yet.

I saw them last year, and was actually shocked how much I enjoyed AHFOD as an intro track with The Dictator. The song was explosive and fun live, though on record its easily my least favorite intro to a Coldplay album ever. It was disappointing knowing that the backdrop of nearly every track on this tour was not performed live in hindsight, but that said, they also have been able to squeeze an impressive number of songs into their setlist and its a wild ride. Some of the best moments of the show, I remember, were not even performed really, like the Midnight interlude and the Paradise Remix, Kaleidoscope....

I largely agree with everyone here, but also, I think the more modern pop and carnival like feel they are going for with their music and concerts means that you sacrifice musicianship for spectacle--and that's partly why the tickets cost so darn much.

P.S. I wish they'd do a 10-year anniversary tour for Viva. Those songs have been so neglected.

• Like 11

P.S. I wish they'd do a 10-year anniversary tour for Viva. Those songs have been so neglected.

I've actually had this thought for a while now. I remain adamant that I'll never attend another one of their shows (my last one was in 09) but if they ever pull out a Joshua Tree and tour Parachutes or AROBTTH I'll be the first in the queue attending multiple shows!!! The Joshua Tree Tour actually brought a huge number of the older fans out the closet which was a spectacle!

The earlier songs carry with them a purity and elegance that the need for confetti and all the disney bullshit goes out the window. Just the boys on their instruments without silly costumes.

• Like 2