✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Just reminds me of Chris not remembering what song "Swallowed in the sea" was when they were up on stage...

I think Chris was also trying to mentally block out that album from his mind. I know he isn't proud of X and Y lol.

• Like 1

This version of Yes is killer. The ending reminds me of what they used to do with Clocks back in the X&Y days with the sped-up crescendo ending. Wish they would do something like this in the studio!

I love this version. I feel like Yes is kind of underrated, I always liked it a lot but this version is even better. Also, this was actually my first show and only of that era. :heart:

This version of Yes is killer. The ending reminds me of what they used to do with Clocks back in the X&Y days with the sped-up crescendo ending. Wish they would do something like this in the studio!

I'm in love with Yes!!! It's haunting, Chris's low vocals are very unique and the Arabic violins just give an Oriental flare that no other Coldplay song has. This live version takes it to another level with this rock ending, only goosebumps!!! I hope they will revisit this kind of sounds with LP8.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very good!! I Luv that indian Vibes in VLV album is unique, and look this version of Chinese Sleep Chant, Coldplay in their best!!

^ Viva's b-sides are legitimately some of the most creative songs Coldplay has done. Chinese Sleep Chant is definitely one, A Spell A Rebel Yell, The Goldrush. If we're counting Prospekt's March as an EP of b-sides, then you can throw LiTii and Glass of Water in there as well--LiTii for its instrumentation and Glass of Water for its wacky time signature.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think one big problem with AHFOD (although I like some individual songs) is that the mood feels a little too similar to MX. I know it's not a concept album and it has more collaborations and stuff, but they're both really big and colorful and happy and it gets a little old the second time around. All the other albums did such a great job of being drastically different from each other and hopefully they will be able to go back to that with the next album...

• Like 2

^ I feel the same way. They are both trying to fill the same space, so to speak. It's jarring though, because MX in my opinion has better songwriting and AHFoD better captures that happy, jubilant feeling.

I feel that if Coldplay had been able to mash those two together somehow, we could have gotten a much better single record out of one of them rather than the two sub-par records we got instead. There's some good stuff on both records, but it's spread thin.

• Like 1

While I have loved all of Coldplay's albums, I get why people are nostalgic for the earlier sound, or simply prefer an alt rock to pop sound. I would have felt similarly when i was younger but have expanded my own aperture the older I get.

However, I do feel a bit like it's unfair to say that Coldplay has sold their souls for money and fame by experimenting with different genres and singing with guest artists because I think that their own musical tastes and interests transcend what their earlier work was. I saw something like this said recently on Reddit and just felt it was a bit short sighted. I think if anything they've done an amazing job at staying relevant in the era of the digital single.

But all that being said, it would be cool if they did some sort of indie b-sides style album next or made their early work a focus of a future tour. Mainly because I saw AHFOD live but never the early stuff because they had never toured near me.

Chinese Sleep Chant is one of the most underrated Coldplay songs. My only wish is that Coldplay follow this kind of music. Unfortunately that seems very distant at this point.

Anyone who likes Chinese Sleep Chant should check out My Bloody Valentine if you haven't already. Especially the song "When You Sleep".

I just discovered this band after reading their influence on Coldplay, and they are spectacular.

• Like 1

Chinese Sleep Chant is one of the most underrated Coldplay songs. My only wish is that Coldplay follow this kind of music. Unfortunately that seems very distant at this point.

I honestly didnt know this song had a particular name.... I'm such a noob. been listening to it forevers, just didnt know what it was called! thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The full audio of Isle of Wight 2006 has turned up on Youtube recently ! And I think I have a new favourite festival set of the X&Y Era, better than Glastonbury. It has White Shadows, What If and Talk, among others !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5yWzQ9fr5A

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5yWzQ9fr5A

What would I give to have the full video of that evening....

• Like 5

The White Shadows version of that footage is still the highlight of the X&Y era along with Clocks from Toronto of course

I always feel White Shadows is an underappreciated song. It has got great melodies and is an incredibly energetic song, also live. It should return to Coldplay's setlists.

• Like 5