✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

I prefer the live version as well, the mix is so blurry and buries the epic piano and guitar solos in noise. Not quite as good as Hypnotised for me.

As for the rest of the EP, I had high expectations after Hypnotised and AICTAIY Live but these have been lowered now. Just as I had a feeling CP were about to get better and back on track again, here they come with Big Sean. It's never gonna change, never.

• Like 2

With this kind of production seems to me like a bad attempt to make a dreampop/balearic song.

A decent song anyway, but nothing special, quite generic, I feel it's trying to be bigger than it really is.

I haven't listened to the live version yet, but the studio version it's kinda too muffled (it's the same problem that suffered Up&Up)

Just sayin', Atlas is far better than this one

• Like 1

I think we as Oldplayer's can all agree at this point--They are having an identity crisis when it comes to mixing...this song is absolutely bizarre. Feels like it was recorded in a smoky-dry echo chamber and the speaker for the synths and drums were turned up to 10 while everything else was at 5.

• Like 1

I prefer the live version as well, the mix is so blurry and buries the epic piano and guitar solos in noise. Not quite as good as Hypnotised for me.

As for the rest of the EP, I had high expectations after Hypnotised and AICTAIY Live but these have been lowered now. Just as I had a feeling CP were about to get better and back on track again, here they come with Big Sean. It's never gonna change, never.

I haven't watched the live version, anyone got a link to good live version? I think that the second half of the song is a lot stronger than the first half.

Also, I hope there's no kind of rivalry between coldplaying and coldplay reddit that I'm not aware of lol. But I found this post here: [MEDIA=reddit]path=%2Fr%2FColdplay%2Fcomments%2F6gsw6n%2F[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Coldplay/comments/6gsw6n/soundcheck_tunes/?st=j3zpo2kk&sh=be1d8bec

which just made my heart race. Like how awesome would it be to even hear "high speed" or "one I love" from a distance? It's kinda interesting to me that they are playing these songs as soundchecks but not in their actual show. It makes me feel like they really do still enjoy playing those songs a lot but feel like a lot of their new fans, and majority of the people going to their shows, wouldn't like it. Kinda, frustrating in a way but I mean it is their show and their choice and it is amazing hearing any of their music, but their shows all have pretty similar set lists. I reckon they could afford to change it up a bit and idk I think people would love those songs too, even if they might not know them, I mean how couldn't you? Lol.

• Like 3

• Administrators

I have high hopes for Miracles tbh

I have high hopes for Miracles tbh

Really ? Judging by the title, known lyrics and collaboration I think it will be some kind of Gospel meets. Lost+ Never Give Up-Song.

I still have high hopes for ALIENS though.

With this kind of production seems to me like a bad attempt to make a dreampop/balearic song.

A decent song anyway, but nothing special, quite generic, I feel it's trying to be bigger than it really is.

I haven't listened to the live version yet, but the studio version it's kinda too muffled (it's the same problem that suffered Up&Up)

Just sayin', Atlas is far better than this one

I think we as Oldplayer's can all agree at this point--They are having an identity crisis when it comes to mixing...this song is absolutely bizarre. Feels like it was recorded in a smoky-dry echo chamber and the speaker for the synths and drums were turned up to 10 while everything else was at 5.

I am glad that people agree on the mix/production, I was beginning to think it was just me LOL.

I have to admit it kind of ruins an otherwise good song for me. I don't know what they were thinking...I will keep listening to the live versions where you can hear the (epic !!!!!) piano bridge and guitar solos more clearly.

• Like 1

I'm gonna throw this in here and say that this may be one of the best Coldplay songs in years! Critics seem to love it which literally hasn't happened since 2002

I honestly like a lot the first half, the second one is the problem, because of the things we said above.

Moreover, Chris' vocals on the ending aren't that good, it seems like a child singing in a school recitation

• Administrators
I honestly like a lot the first half, the second one is the problem, because of the things we said above.

Moreover, Chris' vocals on the ending aren't that good, it seems like a child singing in a school recitation

Wow you guys are rough lol

• Like 1

I prefer the second half, the first half is a bit boring to me and has a U2 sound to me :D

By the way i really like the drumming on AICTAIY - it feels very organic and almost reminds me of the drum sound in Parachutes. Again something that could be louder during the second half.

I didn't quite enjoy AHFOD because of it's overall overproduced sound in comparison to other albums, and it has almost seemed like it has been CP's musical direction lately so I have had already made up my mind that this EP would have not been much different. Having said that, I gotta say that AICTAIY is a beautiful song and every detail in it sounds like it has been purposely added to it. Some may say it sounds too muddled or blurry, but I think the whole point about this song is for it to sound that way, and they have nailed it. In comparison to other recent songs, this one seems to encompass each one of their era's in a way that pleases most of old and new players alike without having to discuss whether it sounds old or new. This is a Coldplay song and it has the Coldplay sound. The song, the music, the ambient noises, all of it has CP signature all over it. I love it.

• Like 8

That was just terrible! At least on the live version the song is somehow saved by Jonny and Will towards the end but everything gets buried again just like the rest of AHFOD. This EP is shaping up just as I expected. Definitely their worst EP and collection of b-sides to date.

For fucks sake when does this era end?!!

^I was having similar negative thoughts this morning when I was listening to Lorde's new album, which blew me away with its soundscapes. Not to sound too cynical, but there is just so much wonderfully produced pop and rock music nowadays., and Coldplay seems to be slipping in terms of keeping up with a "sharp" sound. Ever since MX the way the guitars and piano have been mixed on the majority of songs has baffled me.

Someone mentioned Rik Simpson above as being a positive influence, and I agree. That said, the mixing on GS and AHFOD really to this day confuses me compared to when I listen to alternative rock greats like Radiohead, Oldplay, The Killers, etc etc, and then modern pop artists like Drake, Beyonce, or even goddamn Taylor Swift. Seriously. The guitars on 1989 sound better than on AHFOD...

Its frustrating, because musically a track like AICTAIY or HFTW are really quite good. Sure the lyrics aren't great, but there is a solid beat, nice layers, and epic transition, a terrific solo. And yet all of them get blurred out! I appreciate the effort of Coldplay to try something new--but this latest track clearly was Frankenstein of live recordings, studio recordings, and some mushy computer work. You can tell when Chris' vocals switch from one studio to another. Definitely didn't happen in one take, at least to my ear.

• Like 4

Its frustrating, because musically a track like AICTAIY or HFTW are really quite good. Sure the lyrics aren't great, but there is a solid beat, nice layers, and epic transition, a terrific solo. And yet all of them get blurred out! I appreciate the effort of Coldplay to try something new--but this latest track clearly was Frankenstein of live recordings, studio recordings, and some mushy computer work. You can tell when Chris' vocals switch from one studio to another. Definitely didn't happen in one take, at least to my ear.

I was the one who actually got word from Rik that he was moving the band towards the rockier direction in All I Can Think.

I think that he believes that production shouldn't matter as much and it should be more about the authenticity (aka just the band playing their instruments for the most part).

The song was supposed to have a more stripped down feel, and I think they succeeded. They've got more of a Radiohead influence again. Plus, I thought the lyrics on this song were very solid. They seem to reflect upon the chaos that's happening in society right now, which is a topic the band havent touched upon for a while now, and how a loved one is his refuge to that chaos.

That was just terrible! At least on the live version the song is somehow saved by Jonny and Will towards the end but everything gets buried again just like the rest of AHFOD. This EP is shaping up just as I expected. Definitely their worst EP and collection of b-sides to date.

For fucks sake when does this era end?!!

Okay, I get that its your opinion, but YOU SIR need to calm down. So you expected them to return to their older sound? How are you not happy that the band came back to their more stripped down rockier roots? If you're going to argue about production and the burying things in the mix, then you should probably listen to the X&Y and even Viva La Vida albums again. Those albums had VERY muddy-sounding songs (most likely because they worked with producers that make ambient music). But that doesnt make it a bad thing. Besides, the guitar solo at the end isnt even that buried under. Really, Its more about the atmosphere. Not about making it the rockiest and most powerful thing ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I think you're all mad.

As some as you may know I'm one of the harshest critics of modern day Coldplay but this new tune... my God, it brought a tear to my eye. It's just perfect a dream pop, ambient mixture of Pink Floyd and The Stone Roses. This is what we've been waiting for! Guy and Johnny in full swing, Chris with echoed vocals, a bloody guitar solo and epic synth sounds. It's like all the best parts of the first three albums combined

Best Coldplay song in 8 years at least. My theory of all their best material being on the EP seems to be coming true.

• Like 9

• Administrators
I didn't quite enjoy AHFOD because of it's overall overproduced sound in comparison to other albums, and it has almost seemed like it has been CP's musical direction lately so I have had already made up my mind that this EP would have not been much different. Having said that, I gotta say that AICTAIY is a beautiful song and every detail in it sounds like it has been purposely added to it. Some may say it sounds too muddled or blurry, but I think the whole point about this song is for it to sound that way, and they have nailed it. In comparison to other recent songs, this one seems to encompass each one of their era's in a way that pleases most of old and new players alike without having to discuss whether it sounds old or new. This is a Coldplay song and it has the Coldplay sound. The song, the music, the ambient noises, all of it has CP signature all over it. I love it.

Woo, a bit of positivity in here!

• Like 2

While I do agree that the song didn't live up to the expectations after listening to the live version, I still think is amongst the best material the band has put out there since the MX Era (Up with the Birds, Moving to Mars, Fly On, Ghost Story, Hypnotised). I know it's very unlikely but I hope they keep pushing a little more in this direction.

• Like 3

Where's the 'super-like' button when you need it haha. Couldn't agree more.

I think you're all mad.

As some as you may know I'm one of the harshest critics of modern day Coldplay but this new tune... my God, it brought a tear to my eye. It's just perfect a dream pop, ambient mixture of Pink Floyd and The Stone Roses. This is what we've been waiting for! Guy and Johnny in full swing, Chris with echoed vocals, a bloody guitar solo and epic synth sounds. It's like all the best parts of the first three albums combined

Best Coldplay song in 8 years at least. My theory of all their best material being on the EP seems to be coming true.

Yup relistened again on every medium I have haha. I think the mix is exactly what it needs to be for the track. All in all good song, Hypnotized felt half hearted to me but AICTAIY (please lets find a way to shorten that) is really enjoyable.

• Like 2

I prefer the second half, the first half is a bit boring to me and has a U2 sound to me :D

By the way i really like the drumming on AICTAIY - it feels very organic and almost reminds me of the drum sound in Parachutes. Again something that could be louder during the second half.

I agree but the first half has grown on me as well

• Like 1