✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

I'm a bit nervous about LP8. I was hoping the MX-AHFOD pop thing was just a phase, but maybe not? Maybe this is just who they'll be going forward. Would be a big shame if that's the case.

Unrelated note, did a HQ version of the acoustic Lovers in Japan ever surface? It's one of my favourite recordings from the band, but the version I've got sounds like it was recorded underwater :/

• Like 3

I'm a bit nervous about LP8. I was hoping the MX-AHFOD pop thing was just a phase, but maybe not? Maybe this is just who they'll be going forward. Would be a big shame if that's the case.

Unrelated note, did a HQ version of the acoustic Lovers in Japan ever surface? It's one of my favourite recordings from the band, but the version I've got sounds like it was recorded underwater :/

If I'm not mistaken, LiJ only existed on iTunes and whichever online stream services and was available for the ones who pre-ordered the album, so, surely, no acoutic versions because it wasn't released physically or available for some FLAC streaming services because, yeah, that was 2008, what do we want lol But that version sounds so heavenly good... Wish we had a really HQ version of it, ears would be truly blessed :heart:

• Love 1

Recent songs that I think sound a bit like Oldplay, in order of release:

Oceans

Ghost Story

Fun

All I Can Think About Is You

A L I E N S

Hypnotised

I think 'Oceans' was the closest 're-visiting Parachutes'-track we could get in the last few years.

If those 'synth beeps' weren't there you actually could believe it's straight from the original 1999/2000 sessions.

Would be great if they gonna do more like this on the next album(s).

• Like 2

I think 'Oceans' was the closest 're-visiting Parachutes'-track we could get in the last few years.

If those 'synth beeps' weren't there you actually could believe it's straight from the original 1999/2000 sessions.

Would be great if they gonna do more like this on the next album(s).

All Your Friends, Ghost Story and Oceans are my favourite Coldplay songs from the last 3 eras. Definitely.

Travesty how the former were not even on the album.

• Like 5

Agree about Oceans. That song and Midnight and Ghost Story are my favourites from that era.

Midnight doesn't sound like Oldplay but it's still a great song. Although the cool parts in it were all done by Jon Hopkins, not Coldplay (I was a bit disappointed back when I learnt that).

Btw, LOVE to see some activity in this thread again ! :heart:

• Like 5

Agree about Oceans. That song and Midnight and Ghost Story are my favourites from that era.

Midnight doesn't sound like Oldplay but it's still a great song. Although the cool parts in it were all done by Jon Hopkins, not Coldplay (I was a bit disappointed back when I learnt that).

Btw, LOVE to see some activity in this thread again ! :heart:

I love this thread. I look back on the things we were all discussing when it started and nothing’s really changed since then.

I really hope LP8 will deliver for Oldplayers.

• Like 2

A while ago I compiled an album with the band's early tracks that originally are available only on EPs and singles.

Simply titled Coldplay and I would place it just before Parachutes. The artwork is the one you see as my avatar.

It's based on the package of the 'Shiver' promo single, here partly re-created by myself. Plus I did inlay and label art...

width=474pxhttps://66.media.tumblr.com/90a54b3ab3c55f9a9d1f497989c37a68/tumblr_ohfefa7l5h1vl17e0o3_1280.png[/img] width=302pxhttps://66.media.tumblr.com/58003483627bca407b66aee01ee70883/tumblr_ohfefa7l5h1vl17e0o1_540.png[/img] width=237pxhttps://66.media.tumblr.com/b51fbcf09e664cf3e12ccf6a28649a7e/tumblr_ohfefa7l5h1vl17e0o2_540.png[/img]

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

A while ago I compiled an album with the band's early tracks that originally are available only on EPs and singles.

Simply titled Coldplay and I would place it just before Parachutes. The artwork is the one you see as my avatar.

It's based on the package of the 'Shiver' promo single, here partly re-created by myself. Plus I did inlay and label art...

width=474pxhttps://66.media.tumblr.com/90a54b3ab3c55f9a9d1f497989c37a68/tumblr_ohfefa7l5h1vl17e0o3_1280.png[/img] width=302pxhttps://66.media.tumblr.com/58003483627bca407b66aee01ee70883/tumblr_ohfefa7l5h1vl17e0o1_540.png[/img] width=237pxhttps://66.media.tumblr.com/b51fbcf09e664cf3e12ccf6a28649a7e/tumblr_ohfefa7l5h1vl17e0o2_540.png[/img]

I really like this... is that version of Spies the demo version with different instrumentation in the first verse? Or is it just the Parachutes version?

• Like 1

I really like this... is that version of Spies the demo version with different instrumentation in the first verse? Or is it just the Parachutes version?

Thanks! And yes, it's the version from the Blue Room sessions (though just partly believe it actually is a demo).

'High Speed' is from Parachutes (and the Blue Room EP), I added this to the album at last minute as I thought of re-presenting the whole EP in this.

• Like 1

Hey guys it's great to be back discussing the band's terrible recent output :laughing: Joking aside I think the project will sonically be similar to what One Republic and Imagine Dragons are doing at the moment with Davide Rossi injecting some magic into it.

And my god the forum has changed. It took me a while to figure everything out!

• Like 5

It’s nuts how this band is now talked about in the same breath as the likes of One Republic, Imagine Dragons, Maroon 5 etc when it was once in the same league as the likes of Radiohead, Oasis and The Stone Roses.

It's indeed nuts. I'd say the only influence that has really remained constant throughout much of the band's career has been U2 since around the time of AROBTTH, given Coldplay's ability to create stadium rock anthems with such powerful melodies. It makes me wish that, at the very least, they'd let Brian Eno produce an album again.

• Like 4

It’s nuts how this band is now talked about in the same breath as the likes of One Republic, Imagine Dragons, Maroon 5 etc when it was once in the same league as the likes of Radiohead, Oasis and The Stone Roses.

Choices... in 2017, when "All I can think (...)" was played for the first time, there was talk about "a radiohead-esque song". It got me hyped immediatly lol

Matt Whitecross sugested in a interview that Coldplay was yet to have a "Kid A". Sincerely, it seems unlikely.

It's indeed nuts. I'd say the only influence that has really remained constant throughout much of the band's career has been U2 since around the time of AROBTTH, given Coldplay's ability to create stadium rock anthems with such powerful melodies. It makes me wish that, at the very least, they'd let Brian Eno produce an album again.

Yeah. I'm always waiting for the day they'll work with Hopkins and Eno again. A man can dream

• Like 5

Man, I really want to be excited for the new album. Honestly. But every bit of info we get makes me think they haven't completely moved on from AHFoD yet.

Same, was a bit underwhelmed by the album art. It looks a bit lazy to be honest. Let's hope the music is not like that though !

• Like 2

Hm, I don't know if this is my depression talking or not but...similar to the post above, I really do feel more and more underwhelmed the more I know about the release.

Everything, the supposed album cover (flipped image, same artist) to the writing (font, colour gradient, foreign typeface) to the track titles (Wonders of the World/Power Of The People (?), Sunrise, track that is probably represented by an image like Colour Spectrum) make it feel like a continuation of AHFOD. I was hoping for them to take their time (rather a bit longer, I had hoped...would have been fine with them coming back with one solid album in 2020) and kind of start again in a new way with something completely and utterly different.

Now what I kind of think is, this will continue the AHFOD attitude and cheesy lyrics with maybe a bit of a darker undertone, but won't really be something NEW, you know what I mean ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, I always have a (probably unjustified and unrealistic) hope that the album will be good at this time when we have seen track lists, artwork etc but not have heard anything. Before LP7, like others I had convinced myself that it would be a psychedelic indie album but alas.

Hopefully this album will have a few of those darker tracks we have all been longing for. Expectations wise, I fully expect this album to be blighted with all the problems of modern Coldplay from tracks that go nowhere, 30 second instrumentals that are worthless, bad production,

Chris centric etc but I think we will get a couple of gems on this one, so there’s that.

By any means, the lead single always tends to be“a bit rockier” so all we can do is hope.

To me AHFOD just sums up everything wrong with modern Coldplay

-It’s produced horribly and does the songs no justice

-You can’t hear any guitar or bass

-electronic drum kit

-terrible lyrics

-collaborations

-corny, hollow, one dimensional messages about “love” that make 14 year old girls cry

-No edge or grit

Could go on and on

• Like 3

Nah, it wasn’t bad.

It was absolutely abominable.

I don’t think the English language can do justice in describing how loathsome it really is.

JESUS CHRIST I LAUGHED SO HARD HAHAHAHA

To me AHFOD just sums up everything wrong with modern Coldplay

-It’s produced horribly and does the songs no justice

-You can’t hear any guitar or bass

-electronic drum kit

-terrible lyrics

-collaborations

-corny, hollow, one dimensional messages about “love” that make 14 year old girls cry

-No edge or grit

Could go on and on

I kinda feel the same, it's by far their worse work in my opinion, but due to stockholm syndrome I'm often listening to it trying to save something. It's sad and pathetic.

I dream of having a band someday and try to re-record AHFOD. I really think that the production made abominable what would be just a weak/ok album.

• Like 2

The good:

AHFOD is more inventive than most of what bands like Panic! At the Disco, Maroon 5 and OneRepublic have done in recent years. I think it has some truly heartfelt moments like Up&Up, Amazing Day, and Everglow, and Army of One is experimentation done right.

The bad:

The album was poorly produced. I think Mylo and Ghost Stories are also overproduced, but Stargate just makes things sound too artificial. I would've appreciated less electronic drums, Guy's bass more prominent in the mix, just a sound that better reflects what the songs ended up sounding like live. Also? Imagine a heavier version of Adventure of a Lifetime. That main riff is something special, but the song ends up turning into Daft Punk's Get Lucky in the verses when it could be soaring like The Killers' Human.

The ugly:

X Marks the Spot is trash. Sounds like a Justin Bieber cover. Hymn for the Weekend is... well... I get the point behind the song, I kinda like the "high on love and life" message, but it's just too cheesy.

• Like 4