✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

On 7/23/2021 at 4:48 AM, Famous Old Painter said:

Songs like Coloratura and Arabesque frustrate me because they prove Coldplay can still make powerful, boundary-pushing and highly creative music, but they actively choose not to 90% of the time. 

Totally agree ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 6:33 AM, nvdmm said:

So what do you guys think about 'People of the Pride'?

late af to this but what a great song. we have been in need for a true "banger" since Major Minus.

Edited by JM-42
  • Like 3

I still wait for the studio version to judge it, they ruined some decent songs with the production through the years, starting from the MX era (I'm thinking of Hurts Like Heaven and Up&Up for example). From the snippet in Overtura it seems like a rip-off of Uprising, so that's why I'm waiting the release of the album before saying anything about it

Edited by beastwars

"Spheres’ new single, “My Universe,” featuring K-pop kings BTS, who might be the only humans better at scaling the charts than Max right now, debuted at the very top of the Hot 100, scoring Coldplay their second-ever American No. 1. Their first was 2008’s “Viva La Vida,” a song that tactfully expanded what Coldplay could sound like after the creative dead-end of their third LP, 2005’s X&Y. Back then, Chris described Coldplay’s ethos thusly: “We can’t possibly get any bigger, let’s just get better.” The clamorous immensity of Spheres suggests the band’s philosophy has been inverted: Coldplay can’t top what they’ve already done artistically, but maybe they can score several billion more streams anyway."

well said pitchfork

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Lord have mercy... what has happened to the band of my childhood? Everyday Life was mildly enjoyable, but the goodwill they earned from me with that album is now gone. I could even forgive AHFOD as a bad mistake, but here they've gone and made an album that would somehow be worse than AHFOD if it didn't have Coloratura. This seriously sounds like an album for preteens or something. Why does Chris need to sound like Alvin the Chipmunk on Biutyful? Why? Does he have anyone in his professional life who can tell him no? It's just a shame they still seem so desperate for pop relevance after all these years. 

I don't expect them to make Parachutes or AROBTTH again, nor do I mind them trying new things. But there really is no excuse for them to churn out the most generic, uninspired, corporate pop trash imaginable. That's called regression, not "change."

Edited by 42!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

And you know what, one more thing. I don't think Chris understands how to handle criticism at all. Many times he's dodged the question by saying "we're making it for people who like it"....ok? That doesn't mean the music can't be criticized or impervious to people not liking it. This is like the 5th album where he's said something along the lines of "we don't have fear anymore". What fear? Afraid of making shit music? Maybe you should be afraid. But I guess when the concert tickets have pre-pre-sales it's insignificant.

Coloratura and Human Heart are cool though, I'll take any hymnal tracks they make. When I Need A Friend was a highlight of EL for me.

Edited by prospekt46
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, I didn't expect much from this album and still feel disappointed. Let Somebody Go and Biutyful must be their most dull and uninspired songs ever. Sad to say this but the album is being deservedly panned. 

Maybe their next "stripped back" album will be a good one. Sucks that they won't tour it at all.

PS: I still think AFHOD is a worst album, though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 5:45 PM, prospekt46 said:

oh my god.......is ∞ Don Quixote?

In my opinion, it's a terrible outcome for the evolution of Don Quixote yes. It seems Don Quixote wasn't the right song for MX, GS or AHFOD, so they took another stab with Life is Beautiful, which I think sounded like an absolute bop right up there with Charlie Brown, ETIAW for its amazing stadium rock vibes. Jonny's jangling plucked guitar and soaring chorus, the bouncy bass and fast drumming from Will. Not to mention the catchy synths, the breakdown, Chris' acoustic guitar. My hype for Infinite was huge. 

But for whatever reason, they took samples of Jonny's guitar from Life is Beautiful and put it into a similar song Humankind, which I think is great but not as great as what a studio LiB could have been. Then they took the synth and Ole Ole Ole and mashed it up into the bizarre Infinity track. I see some Coldplayers loving it, but in my opinion the drums are repetitive, the guitar is barely audible, the beat and chant feel awkward. I appreciate Coldplay trying to make an experimental track between My Universe and Coloratura, but boy I think they missed the mark. Had this song been LiB, I think I would have considered MOTS a much better record.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, lennyrott1 said:

In my opinion, it's a terrible outcome for the evolution of Don Quixote yes. It seems Don Quixote wasn't the right song for MX, GS or AHFOD, so they took another stab with Life is Beautiful, which I think sounded like an absolute bop right up there with Charlie Brown, ETIAW for its amazing stadium rock vibes. Jonny's jangling plucked guitar and soaring chorus, the bouncy bass and fast drumming from Will. Not to mention the catchy synths, the breakdown, Chris' acoustic guitar. My hype for Infinite was huge. 

But for whatever reason, they took samples of Jonny's guitar from Life is Beautiful and put it into a similar song Humankind, which I think is great but not as great as what a studio LiB could have been. Then they took the synth and Ole Ole Ole and mashed it up into the bizarre Infinity track. I see some Coldplayers loving it, but in my opinion the drums are repetitive, the guitar is barely audible, the beat and chant feel awkward. I appreciate Coldplay trying to make an experimental track between My Universe and Coloratura, but boy I think they missed the mark. Had this song been LiB, I think I would have considered MOTS a much better record.

Agreed. Infinity Sign isn't bad but it's just not as *developed* as LIB seemed to be, or for a genre-analogous track, Chinese Sleep Chant. LIB had an excellent energy, and such an excellent bassline in particular.

I thought DQ or LIB could've fit decently well on EL since that album was part non-Western music, part-VLV-inspired, part-stripped-back, part stadium-rock somehow - thinking of songs like Orphans or Arabesque. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/17/2017 at 1:41 AM, Draco said:

I've seen some videos like that, not just the joke ones, talking about their affiliations and all the signs in their music. I'm not too fixated on the subject but when exactly is this mass new world government going to strike?

I would say we're almost there now, wouldn't you (sorry, of course I didn't know exactly when it was coming)?

If you don't know what I mean check out Klaus Schwab ('you will own nothing and be happy') and the WEF.

Next year it's looking pretty likely that there will be a wiping (reset) of the internet and collapse of the banking system etc, blamed on a solar flare.

Edited by Tonsu

On 10/17/2021 at 6:24 AM, JM-42 said:

Well, I didn't expect much from this album and still feel disappointed. Let Somebody Go and Biutyful must be their most dull and uninspired songs ever. Sad to say this but the album is being deservedly panned. 

Maybe their next "stripped back" album will be a good one. Sucks that they won't tour it at all.

PS: I still think AFHOD is a worst album, though.

Glad I didn't bother listening to either...is EL worth a listen? I got put off by Orphans (catchy pop fluff about a heartbreaking situation)?

On 12/29/2022 at 9:20 PM, Tonsu said:

Glad I didn't bother listening to either...is EL worth a listen? I got put off by Orphans (catchy pop fluff about a heartbreaking situation)?

One of their best records (and eras).