✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

#AOAL - Please post your review

stephen

I supposed it does sound like every other band that uses indian-influenced disco laden pop and funk..with Chris's vocal style...and anthemic choral bits...

Hahaha. Exactly, I don't get why people call this generic pop. It's pop, but definetly not generic.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I supposed it does sound like every other band that uses indian-influenced disco laden pop and funk..with Chris's vocal style...and anthemic choral bits...

or we can just go ahead and say... it borrows a lot from all kinds of music- like a lot of already existing Coldplay songs. It's just not the styles you're fond of and it's shocking to you. We get it.

Kinda wrong though cause I do love disco/dance music, my favorite musician of all time is Michael Jackson, for example.

This is a strange phenomenon that I've weirdly only ever come across here. Most people realise it goes without saying that what everyone's posts are their own opinion and there is no right or wrong. Clearly people have different tastes and all are valid but it's kind of the point of discussion to call other people's into question. If we all just sat here going "I disagree but whatever, happy days :) :) :)" it'd be very boring indeed (IMO).

My point was that a 10/10 score signifies a classic, a perfect song in he highest echelons of music (btw I said Like a Rolling Stone, not The Rolling Stones -never get Bob Dylan and Mick Jagger mixed up lol ;)) and that it blows my mind people think Adventure of a Lifetime belongs there too. Obviously it's their opinion and totally valid but so is mine and I should be allowed to post it.

Just imagine an IMO after every sentence.

Subjectivity is the reason we're all here, it becomes amazing when we can discuss other people's ideas - which, when done meaningfully, means questioning them too.

To clarify, by no means do I hate this song. I think it's a pretty good dance track - but I expect more from Coldplay than decent dance-pop. Maybe that expectation is misplaced these days.

Completely understand that, and it's nice to have healthy discussions between varying opinions. Your original comment was worded in a rather nicer way than what I've seen around here lurking over the last few months so it was really just a general comment on these types of things that irk me and your comment just brought me to finally say something about it. Again I have no problem with you hating or loving (or "something in between"-ing) this song. I also had no problem with the rest of your comment and actually, to an extent, agreed with your comment about depth-ness (as I recognized below average lyrics and can definitely see how strongly people personally connect to the right song). But for me, I just draw a line when it someone seems to state as fact something being perfect and then questions other's definition of perfection as well. I guess it can be done in a civilized way but it's like walking on a knife's edge and I'd rather not deal with that hah. That is all.

or we can just go ahead and say... it borrows a lot from all kinds of music- like a lot of already existing Coldplay songs. It's just not the styles you're fond of and it's shocking to you. We get it.

Where is Chris' vocal style on this? To me, it sounds like a great deal of pop singers could have sang it and it would have been much the same.

Let's not overstate the "Indian influence", the vocal loop is vaguely Indian and that's it.

Almost all pop, never mind dance, tries to have an "anthemic" choral bit, not in the slightest bit unique.

The song isn't a rip off or anything, but it's most certainly generic. The structure, lyrics, instrumentation, and production are all derived from staples of dance music. But that's not that bad, it still provides a fresh twist in them in certain parts.

Where is Chris' vocal style on this? To me, it sounds like a great deal of pop singers could have sang it and it would have been much the same.

To me- Chris is singing the same way he would ..on any other song. I don't hear him trying to sound like someone else...which is what the naysayers, or NayPlayers are saying? :P

The song has definitely grown on me. Wasn't sure about it at first but man, it's incredibly catchy! Plus Coldplay's first singles tend to be the one of the more mainstream/accessible songs on the album and don't really reflect the overall album.

Those saying it's not artistically deep enough, as someone who's followed Coldplay from early on, songs like Clocks, The Scientist and Yellow are some of my favourite tracks but are based on repetitive riffs and lyrics that aren't exactly the most poetic around. Just because their older songs were more somber, doesn't mean that uplifting, jubilant songs have any less artistic merit.

Well...I had a very bad week and it instantly made me feel better. Still, I could only listen to it one time through. Today, I'm up to 2. It does grow on you , kind of like an earworm, as others have said. Very shallow overall, but I like the happiness!

And I hate that people keep says Coldplay is starting to make music that just tries to please people becaude that's not true at all. That's a fact. They're making these happy songs cause they like that stuff and they have fun with them. They don't give a crap about what anyone thinks or says. They don't have to. So don't start ranting about "oh they don't care about the true fans" and "now they are just being crowd pleasers" and "music without metaphors and homeric similes = pop and terrible music". Plus i think it's funny that people are like coldplay is making pop which sucks cause pop means popular.

When I first heard it at about 09:45 (NL Time), I was quite shocked, but also not. Before I heard the whole thing, I kinda was expecting a disco song. And when this dude on Facebook posted about how the track is groovy, I knew for sure. So because it didn't blow me away, but it did surprise me lyrically, I was disappointed and I could not stop thinking about it.

But as time went by, I saw a live performance of AOAL, listened to it more, and danced to it for a bit, I really, really, REALLY started to like it.

Yes, Mark Ronson makes funk now, as well as Daft Punk (who were originally a house act), but should that stop me from enjoying what Coldplay did? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I absolutely appreciate what they've done with this song, though I prefer Amazing Day.

Still, I rate it: 8/10!

Love this so much.

The funky dance sound is so nice here and we must not confuse this with standard pop songs. It's not even close.

And I adore parts of amazing day also. So so beautiful at times.

Two questions. 1.What does the voice say during the chorus? 2. It seems to me, they are going for a high, high quality poppy album here, rather than a conceptual one. I'm dreaming of all the tracks being equally amazing. Your thoughts?

BTW, huge props to coldplaying. You guys always spark my interest with your facebook contributions and this forum. This way I'll never forget how much coldplay understand music.

Very interesting track!

Based on the snippet I was expecting something completely different from what AOAL is but it has grown for sure. The guitar riff is awesome and so is the bass line. On the other hand IMO the song would deserve better chorus and the lyrics are quite simple. In overall I'm satisfied and it is great to see band discovering new genres.

8/10

Disclaimer: I am an 'Oldplayer' (or, someone who grew up with the band since 2000).

I find it simply fascinating that the song, Adventure of a Lifetime is gaining immensely positive and 'raving' reviews. I am not sure if this is because (1) people are excited that Coldplay have dropped a new song or (2) because people are just generally excited that Coldplay are "back" from what was Ghost Stories. or (3) that people don't really know what good pop music is.

Whatever the case, I feel that some of the very positive reviews (those giving this song 9 or 10/10) are a little unfounded. Even as a 'pop' song, AOAL falls far short; the greatest pop songs have far more depth and melody than what AOAL has. The song purely has momentum because it is a song from one of the biggest bands in the world, right now. If you take Coldplay out of the equation, the song is mediocre, familiar, forgettable (albeit catchy), hollow and shallow. It really is just like any other mediocre pop song out there - there is nothing unique or meaningful about it. I wonder if the same song was released by a nobody artist, would it generate the same amount of praise or positive reviews? What makes the song so special? What message is Chris trying to tell me? If one didn't recognise Martin's voice, would one even KNOW that it was by Coldplay? The song embarrassingly fails both as a pop song AND (obviously) as a Coldplay song.

I'm actually beyond the point of being disappointed with Coldplay - I simply don't care enough for them anymore. Their Ghost Stories release was like a way of telling their older fans that that's not really Coldplay anymore. It was like a final goodbye to their old selves, and their old identity; this was mimicked in the way the album was toured, in attempt to highlight the album's minute importance in their current identity.

Adventure of a Lifetime is not a song I would listen to normally, and hence, not a song I am going to listen to, even if by my once-upon-a-time favourite band in the world. Their sound and identity has evolved, and in isolating fans, they have indeed gained many, many, MANY more. Coldplay are interested in being revolutionaries in a music sphere, they create music that appeal to the masses, and disguise this by evolving their sound into something common and familiar. They have no desire to produce music from their AROBTTH era - they are more than content with creating and 'experimenting' with dance music, with the benefit of gaining attention and worldwide airplay because they are such a huge band. Coldplay could release any genre of music and they would still make millions. They have the power to DO WHATEVER THEY LIKE. They don't care about their fans - not their new ones, and certainly not their old ones.

I think for any 'Oldplayers' out there - it's not worth it to be angered and disappointed at the band. This is who they are now. We can either accept them for what they are, or decide to leave their fan base. Although, you don't have to forget their amazing back catalogue of music. We can always have comfort in knowing that the many new, millions of fans Coldplay have garnered since Viva-Mylo, have probably never heard of songs such as Such a Rush or See you Soon or Bigger, Stronger. We don't have to share that music with new Coldplay fans - we get to keep them all to ourselves :)

Adventure of a Lifetime - 5/10.

I want to share my little review after a few listens: AOAL belongs to Jonny, Will and Guy. The track is catchy and vigorous. The problem here is Chris, whose voice sounds a bit misplaced and lacks the energy he showed in ASFOS and I think his voice is not good enough to carry a happy song like this one. The last whooooos are mediocre and tolerable at best. The lyrics in Amazing Day are proof that they still can write good songs, so I don't know what happened here. Finally, the song lacks an explosive moment to take it to the next lever, to make it memorable.

6/10

I hardly ever post around here, but after hearing this song, I just had to. I'm honestly not a fan at all. Decent song if you want to get on the radio and get plays, but otherwise... it sounds like every other track that's being put out there. This song doesn't feel like it has a heart at all, just something to get on the radio and sell. I'm so incredibly disappointed. I love LOVE Coldplay and the lads, but this is something I just can't get on board with. :sad2:

4/10 and that's being generous on my part.

I feel like it has a great hook and a great verse, but the chorus is practically non-existent (and a strong chorus is absolutely necessary for a song like this) and the lyrics are trite rubbish. It also doesn't really seem to have much direction, it kind of meanders along in search of absolutely nowhere for four and a half minutes before deciding to call it a day. If we're rating it, I'd give it a 5/10. It's not horrible, but I was expecting something a lot better.

Oh well, can't win them all. Roll on Hymn for the Weekend :)

Disclaimer: I am an 'Oldplayer' (or, someone who grew up with the band since 2000).

I find it simply fascinating that the song, Adventure of a Lifetime is gaining immensely positive and 'raving' reviews. I am not sure if this is because (1) people are excited that Coldplay have dropped a new song or (2) because people are just generally excited that Coldplay are "back" from what was Ghost Stories. or (3) that people don't really know what good pop music is.

Whatever the case, I feel that some of the very positive reviews (those giving this song 9 or 10/10) are a little unfounded. Even as a 'pop' song, AOAL falls far short; the greatest pop songs have far more depth and melody than what AOAL has. The song purely has momentum because it is a song from one of the biggest bands in the world, right now. If you take Coldplay out of the equation, the song is mediocre, familiar, forgettable (albeit catchy), hollow and shallow. It really is just like any other mediocre pop song out there - there is nothing unique or meaningful about it. I wonder if the same song was released by a nobody artist, would it generate the same amount of praise or positive reviews? What makes the song so special? What message is Chris trying to tell me? If one didn't recognise Martin's voice, would one even KNOW that it was by Coldplay? The song embarrassingly fails both as a pop song AND (obviously) as a Coldplay song.

I'm actually beyond the point of being disappointed with Coldplay - I simply don't care enough for them anymore. Their Ghost Stories release was like a way of telling their older fans that that's not really Coldplay anymore. It was like a final goodbye to their old selves, and their old identity; this was mimicked in the way the album was toured, in attempt to highlight the album's minute importance in their current identity.

Adventure of a Lifetime is not a song I would listen to normally, and hence, not a song I am going to listen to, even if by my once-upon-a-time favourite band in the world. Their sound and identity has evolved, and in isolating fans, they have indeed gained many, many, MANY more. Coldplay are interested in being revolutionaries in a music sphere, they create music that appeal to the masses, and disguise this by evolving their sound into something common and familiar. They have no desire to produce music from their AROBTTH era - they are more than content with creating and 'experimenting' with dance music, with the benefit of gaining attention and worldwide airplay because they are such a huge band. Coldplay could release any genre of music and they would still make millions. They have the power to DO WHATEVER THEY LIKE. They don't care about their fans - not their new ones, and certainly not their old ones.

I think for any 'Oldplayers' out there - it's not worth it to be angered and disappointed at the band. This is who they are now. We can either accept them for what they are, or decide to leave their fan base. Although, you don't have to forget their amazing back catalogue of music. We can always have comfort in knowing that the many new, millions of fans Coldplay have garnered since Viva-Mylo, have probably never heard of songs such as Such a Rush or See you Soon or Bigger, Stronger. We don't have to share that music with new Coldplay fans - we get to keep them all to ourselves :)

Adventure of a Lifetime - 5/10.

I respect your review, but that last thing is such a retarted thing to say!

"We get to keep them all to ourselves"?!

So many things wrong with that.

Yes, I started liking them since Viva-Mylo,

and YES, I heard 2 of the songs you mentioned. In fact, I've heard a shitton of songs by them, new AND old...

So saying Newplayers have never heard See You Soon or BiggerStronger and that Oldplayers have the nerve to brag about how they have, is simply an accusation and total BS.

Again, your review was great (even though I like the song), right up until you said that...