✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

#AOAL - Please post your review

stephen

I quite like the song and its mission, but found the end slightly abrupt.

-Lyrics are quite good. Definitely a step up from GS's slightly cringey lines. The idea of diamonds coming out from weight and pressure...that's a pretty deep idea.

-Agreed with comments that Jonny/Guy/Will are the driving force in the song. The guitar riff is very Coldplay, yet the drums and bass are very disco. That's new for Coldplay and a cool nod to the presence of funk in today's pop without seeming to just steal that style (Uptown Funk). I like Chris's singing now, but was a bit turned off by it on first listen. They're kind of the same style as in Magic, where it's a bit dry talking-with-melody. I agree with an earlier comment that ASFOS has really well-integrated/engaging Chris vocals - I think he does some GREAT vocal acrobatics that fit the style of that song perfectly that somehow isn't happening here.

-I disagree with comments that the song goes nowhere. The guitar solo is cool (and sounds kinda Indian-flavoured? Not sure what they did instrumentally there. Though live it sounds more Jonny), and the drums kind of double in tempo. Kinda ruined by the ooh's though. It would've been much better as a Jonny only guitar solo. I have the same issue with True Love though, where instead of a shitload of Chris ooh's I would've liked to just hear more Jonny's weeping guitar.

-I like that the track generally stands on its own without too many backing tracks even with Chris not playing an instrument. It just makes everyone seem more into it, IMO.

-I really like the xylophone thing going on in the left ear. It's like the thing in Another's Arms. :)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't have to share that music with new Coldplay fans - we get to keep them all to ourselves

I think that's pretty selfish. Do we, new Coldplay fans, don't deserve their old songs? Are we blindly categorized as 'not true Coldplay fans' just because we're attracted to their new works? We're not dumb. I'm a new Coldplay fan since MX but even I find that their old works are a masterpiece. Just because we're new doesn't mean we're dumb and don't understand the older, more brilliant songs.

To put it simple, 'Newplayers' or 'Oldplayers' don't really matter to me, since either one can freely appreciate Coldplay's new/old works. And please share us new fans their other brilliant works, regardless of our tastes, even just for proving that their old works are superior :)

-If they try something different (pop)

*this is not the Coldplay I know. Coldplay is artistically dead*

-If they do something which isn't pop

*this is so boring and repetitive*

In short, they can never satisfy us all.

What makes me sad is the amount of hate these 'true fans' are spreading. What were you guys expecting? 'Bohemian Rhapsody'?

This is not lyrically good, the band is pop now, they are not rock anymore..... Aah c'mon. As if you have heard the whole album.

The band who gave us 50+ songs to love gives us one pop song for the general and casual listener to enjoy and we start losing our minds. Keep in mind that this could be a great commercial succes which could in turn be an excellent boost to the album sales.

If you don't like it. Don't listen to it.

By spreading hate you're nothing but influencing people to have a bad mindset about the song already.

Rather than criticizing the band for releasing a pop (partially pop) song, we should rather feel happy that the band is enjoying themselves and support them.

I know we expect alot from Coldplay.

But we have another 10 songs yet to be heard, so everybody just calm down and stop making a big fuss about it.

Just for once forget what Coldplay were and what Coldplay might be.

Why not enjoy what Coldplay are right now?

• Like 1

A very happy song, a million times better than the likes of Happy, Uptown Funk etc. And what I feel great about this song is that every member is greatly a part of it, which we haven't seen in a long time. Wills drums is back, Johnnys riff is amazing, Guys bass is out of this world and Chris doing what he's best at.

8/10

After listening to the song about 30 times, I have to say that, rather than growing on me, I'm becoming more and more indifferent to the song. I'm not sure why. In addition, I still can't remember very much about the song. It's difficult to recall anything about the vocals, and even the main guitar riff sounds different from how I remember it whenever I hear the song. Which is disappointing, because even months after the album's release, you'd still be humming to yourself the melody of songs like ETIAW and even Magic.

A very happy song, a million times better than the likes of Happy, Uptown Funk etc. And what I feel great about this song is that every member is greatly a part of it, which we haven't seen in a long time. Wills drums is back, Johnnys riff is amazing, Guys bass is out of this world and Chris doing what he's best at.

8/10

Adventure Of A Lifetime came from a riff of Jonny’s. I’ve been asking him for a few years if there was any chance he could write my favourite riff of all time. Then one day he said, “Well, I’ve got this one.” And I was like, “Yep, there we go!”.

So the song began with that riff, then Will and Guy put the beat and bass behind it, and I was actually one of the last ingredients. I think every band member is at the top of their game on that song. Guy, Will and Jonny have just got so good at what they do - everything becomes ten times better going through them.

That’s something Brian Eno brought to us, the idea that just because one of us is sent the seed of the song, it doesn’t mean the others’ contribution isn’t just as important. I think Brian gave everyone the respect and the confidence to know that we all shape the song just as much as the person who first brings it in. It’s not a Coldplay song until everyone has done their bit.

To me, Adventure Of A Lifetime completely defines where we’ve got to as a band. It’s just the ultimate team work. I think it's my favourite thing that we’ve ever made.

Chris basically repeating my thoughts. :D

Except for "favorite thing we've ever made." part.

Just because a song is "pop" doesn't mean to say it's not good. A pop song can be wonderfully catchy and we'll written. Sadly, AOAL is not well written or even very catchy, it's bland and totally forgettable. Ultimately it's just not very good.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just because a song is "pop" doesn't mean to say it's not good. A pop song can be wonderfully catchy and we'll written. Sadly, AOAL is not well written or even very catchy, it's bland and totally forgettable. Ultimately it's just not very good.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That's true, it's not even a good pop song. I think Paradise was a good pop song...

I love the song! It's not their best but I think it's still really good! There's all the pluses like the amazing funky beat to it and the Jonny guitar riff. There's also the amazing feel to it and the live performance(s) sound(s) really good! Once again, not Coldplay's best song, but one of the best pop songs on the charts now! A couple of things are a bit short off Coldplay, such as the lyrics.. I absolutely dislike the lyrics, because it's so plain, boring and stale, and the liveliness of the track can't really cope with the horrendous lyrics it has. I'd love to hear an instrumental version though!! I'm hoping the rest of A Head Full Of Dreams is not like this, but I'd like to hear at least one song with this feel!

Right now, 7/10

As "Oldplayer" and after listen the oficial audio first,(many times), and later see the Friday TF1 show, still i´m not happy with this song. Is very simple for Coldplay "usual standars" (Fix You, The Scientist, etc, etc.) I´m very dissapointed, and I hope the rest of new songs are much better...

5/10 on my opinion...

ok - #2

i came home from work today and HAD to put the song on... I´ve had the song on my mind all day long...

my co workers throwing funny looks at me for humming wooohooo woohooo :lol: - LOVE IT!!!

PS listening in a nonstop-loop... cant wait to party to this on the tour! :wink3:

After getting the full lyrics, I'm appreciating the song more... It can be enjoyed on so many levels - as a groove-out disco song for pure enjoyment, as a sort of call to arms about the plight of so many women and girls in the world (Chris does it uniquely in the way only he can - always politely and not too loudly/directly in case it offends), as a song of comfort and hope for those trapped in this situation... They've done it again! :thumbsup:

Someone said Coldplay songs now have to grow on them, and I agree, it's been that way since MX for me. Coldplay has a special place in my heart and I still consider them my favorite band just because I'm invested, but their recent music hasn't grabbed me as much.

That having been said, unexpectedly, I like this song. I don't know why exactly. It's pretty adventurous for Coldplay.

I still think Chris has to improve his lyric writing. When I watch him in interviews I am amazed by his intelligence and personality. He's clearly a deep thinker. I appreciate he only sings what he means, but I can't imagine he's only capable of doing so by talking about heartbeats and magic and the sky.

Anyway. I'm curious about the album. The Noel Gallagher thing has made me hopeful.

• 2 weeks later...

This has become my favourite Coldplay single ever.

It´s just perfect: amazing lyrics at once simple and profound, a LOT of Jonny (he is practically the track, Chris is background sound lol), a pounding Will and engaged Guy and it´s just such a happy happy track. It´s simply irresistibly infectious! Also pristine production: kudos to Stargate

• Like 1