X Marks The Spot [HIDDEN TRACK]

getithom

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, that's gotta be a new low point in Coldplay lyrics.

@Nikola: no, but XMTS really is not a good song. For example, I'll readily admit HFTW is a quite good RnB song. But XMTS is not good in whatever genre.

Sorry, but this is a great hip hop song. Way better than most hip hop out there.

• Like 1

It must be slowly growing on people... :) I've always liked the beat (and actually the laid-back way Chris sings) on this track. Wish it was its own track though - but maybe that would somehow make people take notice of it less.

It's tacked on to Army of One because it's got exactly the same tempo... Army of One fades straight into this one without missing a beat!

I liked this since my first listen. I understand the dislike because it is essentially hip-hop, a genre that many who listen to alternative music tend to avoid like a sickness, but I am ok with both so this has my thumbs up.

Lyrically though, I will pick this over 99.9% of the mainstream hip hop purely because of its content. Mainstream hip-hop lyrics tend to sound like the verbal equivalent of puke. Just an opinion...

• Like 6

I liked this since my first listen. I understand the dislike because it is essentially hip-hop, a genre that many who listen to alternative music tend to avoid like a sickness, but I am ok with both so this has my thumbs up.

I generally dont like hip hop because well there is no melody haha But this kinda reminds me of the "melodic" hip hop a la Eminem. That I dig :)

• Like 1

Finally someone who doesn't like AIMH either ! I knew I was not the only one :D

I re-listened to AIMH after reading this, and you know what?

I still don't see what's so bad about it. I love it. My only gripe is it isn't longer, but that is an artistic choice they made and I respect that.

Just an opinion...

• Like 1

Lyrically though, I will pick this over 99.9% of the mainstream hip hop purely because of its content. Mainstream hip-hop lyrics tend to sound like the verbal equivalent of puke. Just an opinion...

True, that's why I won't complain about the boom-boom part.

I generally dont like hip hop because well there is no melody haha But this kinda reminds me of the "melodic" hip hop a la Eminem. That I dig :)

Funny you should mention him. Now that I think about it, Eminem has experimented with hip-hop the way Coldplay has with alternative rock. On AOO/XMTS, at 4:27 when that guitar comes in I was distinctly reminded of him. He used it so much it became a part of his sound at one point. And now Em has as much of a unique position in hip-hop as Coldplay has in... well... music (can't even call them alternative rock at this point) in that people just expect him/them to sound different to what else is out there.

I think this would have been better off with it being a full track featuring an actual rapper and Chris only singing the chorus.

Depending on that actual rapper's lyrics, I could go for that. He did a track with Jay-Z a while back that was just that. He took over the chorus, Jay-Z had the verses, and if you take away the thumping beat the music is pure Viva-era coldplay. I think it was called Beach Chair.

True, that's why I won't complain about the boom-boom part.

The ba-boom, ba-boom, boom! is actually a good musical choice - it's in keeping with the style of music, expresses the heart beating very directly, and also (I think most importantly) emphasises and propels the beat forward into the drumming hook that immediately follows - it does a great interplay / syncopation with the drumming beat

• Like 3

The ba-boom, ba-boom, boom! is actually a good musical choice - it's in keeping with the style of music, expresses the heart beating very directly, and also (I think most importantly) emphasises and propels the beat forward into the drumming hook that immediately follows - it does a great interplay / syncopation with the drumming beat

I agree. But, I still think it's strange to hear Chris singing like that. That doesn't mean I don’t like the song. I love it. In fact I think it was a good choice to add it for the reason you mention. And in general I think the beat is so good, they weren't used to write songs like this but they managed to write a good one :)

• Like 3