✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The Ultimate Coldplaying Thread===S, BS, BR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM, MX, GS, AHFOD===

EasySuperstition99

Guest kmm1482
^^Especially the way you can hear them talking at the beginning and end of the song. And the clapping sounds real like it was recorded in an empty room....not like the silly background claps that run throughout AHFOD

Yes!! Like the producer threw it on late in the production or its from some machine

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It don't get no better than Strawberry Swing. The lyrics are simple, yet not pandering and infantile. And how he doesn't (at least not audibly) complete the whole "Sky could be blue"/"without you I'm just miles away" line is something we don't hear often anymore, that improvised feel to a song. To me, Viva felt like the band at their closest, personally, to each other. Like they were having the most fun. It kind of seems like an obligation to them now.

I can hear what you describe here on Birds and Ghost Stories. Ghost Stories is one of the albums where I can hear the whole band is supporting each other. In songs like Oceans or UATW we don't have to hear all the band is playing in the whole song, they take part when the song needs their contribution. That's what I like in the new songs.

And also about the background clapping in Strawberry Swing....it just sounded normal like it was a necessary part in order to create that lighthearted feeling. It is truly what drives the song along.

All of the new clapping just is sugary stuff that's thrown in to make the songs sound mainstream.

(Sorry, this post sounds like it should be in the Oldplaying thread :p)

Oooh nice question, here are my favourites:

- Violet Hill's intro

- Clock's background synth

- the intro of the Live DVD 2003 Yellow version

SYNTH ORGASM RIGHT THERE. I will forever love this

- Daylight's bass (especially toward the end where Chris repeats "slowly breaking through the daylight" over and over again)

- Easy To Please's background noises and Chris really high vocals (and the very soft echo of them)

- During Fix You, towards the end, there's this one guitar that starts playing at around 3:57~4:00 something. It sounds like a bass guitar I think. It just adds something to the already epic outro

- The outro soundscape of Speed of Sound. I think it's the guitar that creates this strange raw sound slowly drowning out, I just love it

- In the Intro of Life In Technicolor there's a riff Jonny plays that you can only clearly hear live, it's very ambient like:

it starts at 00:20. I have other recordings where it is much subtler which I prefer

- Up With The Birds, when Chris starts singing "the sky is blue" somewhere at the 00:42 mark and that giant rich soundscape kicks in, jESUS :dead:

- Prospekts March, when this line starts "but here I lie on my own in a seperate sky" the synths or whatever it is playing in the background, it's so emotional. I wish I had the instrumental of that song. And the outro is also fantastic, that guitar sounds so sad..

- Fun, the guitar. I only like this song because of that depressing guitar haha

I love all those background ambient noises too! Good post Thalia!

• Like 1

And also about the background clapping in Strawberry Swing....it just sounded normal like it was a necessary part in order to create that lighthearted feeling. It is truly what drives the song along.

All of the new clapping just is sugary stuff that's thrown in to make the songs sound mainstream.

(Sorry, this post sounds like it should be in the Oldplaying thread :p)

That's ok. After all this is the ultimate coldplaying thread. We prefer the positive point of view and great discussions. As long as you don't say our taste in music is rubbish that's ok :p

I don't know anything about production but I think the clapping is intended to sound cleaner (I hope that make sense) for example in the Live Lounge we can hear (and see) during AOAL the live clapping which sounds good but in the album we don't expect to hear background sounds like noises. While, Strawberry Swing keep the clapping natural at the beginning but later it sounds less normal. Or the background noise in Easy To Please gives a good atmosphere to the song but I don't want the band to repeat that in another song it'll be less creative.

Guest kmm1482
I must admit I did not even notice the clapping on Adventure until it was pointed out here on a thread or in a review I read *lol*

Now every time I hear it I see the monkeys in the video doing the clap dance haha

For as much as I don't like the new album, I really quite like AOAL and the video

Aw, that intro to Yellow during the AROBTTH tour was just brilliant. I wish they would have kept it forever, because it fit the song so well.

Really enjoyed reading the last posts and everyone's favourites in here! :)

What are yours? :)

I was thinking about this the other day. Why do I like some songs? And I thought I like the guitar riff in some songs (Spies), the bass in Magic or Things I Don't Understand, the drums in ETIAW, Chris voice in Amazing Day or UATW, or the way the band sound in Viva La Vida.

What about you? What do you like from a specific song?

Ok I won't think about this because it will take me forever, so many things haha But Ill cite a totally random few off the top of my head.

* The guitar solo in "Dont panic" still gives me absolute shivers

* Clocks piano riff still one of the best things ever written

* Politik the part that goes "oh give me love over...love over this" and just after the crescendo is orgasmic and so moving! :)

* The solo in "A Message" and "Lost"

* The "sun will come out" and "sun must set to rise" parts in respectively Lovers in Japan and Paradise

* The guitar kicking in at 2:48 on Anothers Arms and that synth background that sounds like a submarine or something :) (this is such a gorgeous song..imo underrated)

* Practically all of Midnight haha

* The change to a minor chord in A Sky full of stars at around 3:20. Oh God so good and joyous and moving I love it :)

*Yeah and uuuh both in Sky Full of Stars and Adventure

* Birds from 3:18 onwards....gorgeous.

* The guitar kicking in at the end of Hymn

* The acoustic-y guitar coming in on Adventure at 3:55

* The drum rolls on Fun at around 1:09

* Bass on Magic

Ok I´d better stop cuz I cud go on and on haha

• Like 4

Best part of the song. It's what makes my place Politik in my Top 10 Coldplay songs.

When I hear that Ill always remember the Wembley concert I was at during the Viva tour and all the people singing this together under the open London sky...it was such an amazing moment, it has stayed with me ever since and I re-see it in my mind every time the song plays.

• Like 2

Has this thread been merged with the Newplayer one? Or the neutral player? or....oh god im confused LOL :dizzy2::dizzy2:

Someone tell me what thread/s I should follow please :computer:

I believe it has been merged with the Neutralplaying one. Not sure about Newplaying though :)

Ok I won't think about this because it will take me forever, so many things haha But Ill cite a totally random few off the top of my head.

* The guitar solo in "Dont panic" still gives me absolute shivers

* Clocks piano riff still one of the best things ever written

* Politik the part that goes "oh give me love over...love over this" and just after the crescendo is orgasmic and so moving! :)

* The solo in "A Message" and "Lost"

* The "sun will come out" and "sun must set to rise" parts in respectively Lovers in Japan and Paradise

* The guitar kicking in at 2:48 on Anothers Arms and that synth background that sounds like a submarine or something :) (this is such a gorgeous song..imo underrated)

* Practically all of Midnight haha

* The change to a minor chord in A Sky full of stars at around 3:20. Oh God so good and joyous and moving I love it :)

*Yeah and uuuh both in Sky Full of Stars and Adventure

* Birds from 3:18 onwards....gorgeous.

* The guitar kicking in at the end of Hymn

* The acoustic-y guitar coming in on Adventure at 3:55

* The drum rolls on Fun at around 1:09

* Bass on Magic

Ok I´d better stop cuz I cud go on and on haha

Great! I agree that Another's Arms is an underrated song. It's one of my favorites off Ghost Stories. I also like the backing vocals, they are so beautiful and add something especial to the atmosphere of the song.

I also like that part on ASFOS. The song it's so moving, but that specific change makes it more joyful.

Has this thread been merged with the Newplayer one? Or the neutral player? or....oh god im confused LOL :dizzy2::dizzy2:

Someone tell me what thread/s I should follow please :computer:

It was merged with the Neutralplaying and it kept the "ultimate Coldplaying" name The newplaying has its own separated thread. And you should follow both :p

• Like 1

I also like that part on ASFOS. The song it's so moving, but that specific change makes it more joyful.

Ah so glad someone else likes it too :dance: That part always makes me go from "exuberant" to "oh this feels good i think im about to tear up" hehe

Sometimes its a chord, sometimes a Jonny note, sometimes a word...it takes so little when you´re Coldplay to actually move people hehe

• Like 1

- Up With The Birds, when Chris starts singing "the sky is blue" somewhere at the 00:42 mark and that giant rich soundscape kicks in, jESUS :dead:

- Prospekts March, when this line starts "but here I lie on my own in a seperate sky" the synths or whatever it is playing in the background, it's so emotional. I wish I had the instrumental of that song. And the outro is also fantastic, that guitar sounds so sad.

Hnnngg yes to both of those. Moving to Mars always seems to get the credit as the best song to come out of the MX era, but honestly UWtB gives it a run for its money through the sheer gorgeousness of its arrangement.

• Like 1

Moving to Mars always seems to get the credit as the best song to come out of the MX era

How do you people pick ONE song as the best from a whole era?? I swear you have powers Ill never possess haha I may narrow it down to 3-4 songs per era, but one....:no::no: I cant hehe

• Like 2

How do you people pick ONE song as the best from a whole era?? I swear you have powers Ill never possess haha I may narrow it down to 3-4 songs per era, but one....:no::no: I cant hehe

Some eras are more difficult than others :lol: When someone asks me what the best song is from the Viva era I literally cannot list any less than five

• Like 1

I have the ability to rank every song from best to worst in it's own era XD It's difficult tho. My opinion changes all the time and I look at the list and usually change things up because I thought it fit there but it didn't. But usually the songs are in groups. They're in order somewhat but I may change it up. Since I can rank every song from every era I'm actually working on an all Coldplay song list from best to worst... probably not going to be that accurate but I'll do my best :P Ranking songs from eras helps since you can pick the best of the #1's, then you can decide between all the other era's #1's and then the second best from the best song's era... for example you wouldn't be able to pick 3 and you have only to decide between 7 songs or so not that hard for me :P

^^I cant rank unless its songs which are totally in the same vein. Say someone said to me "rank Coldplay piano ballads". I actually might very well be able to do that.

But I cant rank songs which are so different from one another, when most give me something equally good but in a different manner.

• Like 1