✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

This is interesting.

That's a good one cause they also have used the Tidal performance sounds of the instruments at XFactor in Italy.

But unfortunately, you're wrong.

I can proof why, you'll hear that Chris' voice in this performance reaches a little higher note for just a moment which you can not hear in the Tidal performance.

skip to 2:16

Again skip to 2:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccSrz_TQn0g

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/ccSrz_TQn0g?list=PLPTwwcJuc1U0rlE2s-MST1h7MjCJpzWjc

Yep. Those performances are definitely different, although they sound very similar most of the time, which suggests that he doesn't do a lot of vocal varying for this song.

(Thanks for sharing this, as most of us are probably too lazy to look them up :laugh3:)

• Like 2

Yep. Those performances are definitely different, although they sound very similar most of the time, which suggests that he doesn't do a lot of vocal varying for this song.

(Thanks for sharing this, as most of us are probably too lazy to look them up :laugh3:)

:D

Yeah, now that I'm listening better you are right, they are different. Thanks for sharing. I heard it in TV and in a quite busy room and that made me mistake, I'm sorry. Anyway the fact that I thought it means that, like guy42 said, all performances are almost the same..they are still making fool of us by lip sync in this tour and it is unforgivable imo but the final rendering is very close to the true live performances

• Like 1

I'm afraid I found yet another playback by Chris....

I was watching this video of Hymn For The Weekend in Mexico. And when the chorus starts it sounds like his mic just mutes (he seems to be still singing it, or at least pretending to) and the pre recorded backing vocals of Will and Chris takes over. For comparison listen to the verse (to the way his vocals sound) and then try to hear his vocals during the chorus, you only hear the studio version Chris. Usually when these kind of things happen Chris just sings over his own pre-recorded vocals, but in this one his mic seems totally muted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=4JU7J-89f9M;t=60

I'm afraid I found yet another playback by Chris....

I was watching this video of Hymn For The Weekend in Mexico. And when the chorus starts it sounds like his mic just mutes (he seems to be still singing it, or at least pretending to) and the pre recorded backing vocals of Will and Chris takes over. For comparison listen to the verse (to the way his vocals sound) and then try to hear his vocals during the chorus, you only hear the studio version Chris. Usually when these kind of things happen Chris just sings over his own pre-recorded vocals, but in this one his mic seems totally muted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=4JU7J-89f9M;t=60

Just. What is that all about?

And Guy pretending to play the piano part?

AND Will pretending to sing Beyonce's backing vocal?

There are too many wtf moments (of the underwhelming variety, sadly) in that clip for my liking.

Are you sure ^that isn't due to the camera audio being weird and bass heavy? I do think Will is doing the most work vocally on that song, esp during the choruses. But I don't think Chris is just pretending to sing into a muted mic or something.

Also Guy is playing the tinkly percussion part, not piano. The piano is just on a backing track, but on some performances Chris plays the piano and overrides the backing track.

• Like 5

Are you sure ^that isn't due to the camera audio being weird and bass heavy? I do think Will is doing the most work vocally on that song, esp during the choruses. But I don't think Chris is just pretending to sing into a muted mic or something.

Also Guy is playing the tinkly percussion part, not piano. The piano is just on a backing track, but on some performances Chris plays the piano and overrides the backing track.

Damn, why are you so good at knowing who's doing what when and how? :shocked2:

Damn, why are you so good at knowing who's doing what when and how? :shocked2:

Haha you're too kind. I happen to obsess like mad over this backing tracks thing. Also I should qualify my previous post that it's entirely possible that Jonny and Guy's drumming are just miming and not actually leading to any sound. But I'm fairly sure Chris's piano playing on HFTW does amount to something because you can hear him play some wrong notes performance to performance. Most of what I said actually derives from what is more easily visible in these two performances of HFTW where they didn't use Beyonce backing tracks (except for possibly at the end).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1noL7XYPhs

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1noL7XYPhs

Good old days when the last sentence was true...

Well, it's not like it was even true when she wrote that. It was at some point, but not 2014.

I'm really curious to see what'll happen to Clocks in the next leg of the tour, if anything. I still don't have a good answer as to why it was done. Chris' voice seems to be alright these days, much better than during some of the Ghost Stories concerts. Maybe this is just an experiment to figure out what their options are in the future, should his voice give up entirely someday.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm curious to see if he's going to playback tomorrow in Exeter, because it will be broadcasted live everywhere. Then people are going to notice.

And to think that this is even a thing we're discussing. What happened to the days when we'd be impressed with Coldplay's musicianship and in awe of their live show, I do wonder.

• Like 2

And to think that this is even a thing we're discussing. What happened to the days when we'd be impressed with Coldplay's musicianship and in awe of their live show, I do wonder.

It's so disappointing...

I find myself in total confusion since I am not able to fully enjoy the live shows anymore, for I am constantly thinking "are they playing/singing this live?". In the entire setlist (not counting 2-3 songs on the C-Stage), there are a whole of 2 songs (Yellow and Heroes) without any backing tracks.

There was a time Coldplay could even be respected by music critics, whether you like their music or not. But now, I am not even sure in how far I can still respect them and see them as true artists, I feel very confused at the moment....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONE E1003 met Tapatalk

• Like 5

It's so dissappointing...

I find myself in total confusion since I am not able to fully enjoy the live shows anymore, for I am constantly thinking "are they playing/singing this live?". In the entire setlist (not counting 2-3 songs on the C-Stage), there are a whole of 2 songs (Yellow and Heroes) without any backing tracks.

There was a time Coldplay could even be respected by music critics, whether you like their music or not. But now, I am not even sure in how far I can still respect them and see them as true artists, I feel very confused at the moment....

I think this is a very reasonable thought.

• Like 3

It's so dissappointing...

Sadly, I've often thought much the same thing these last few years, my friend.

To paint the last decade in a more satirical light, it's almost as though VLV was the band showing the critics that they were still relevant by doing a running jump, before bounding through a wheel of fire on MX and then landing softly (albeit unexpectedly) on GS. AHFOD was always going to be the luck of the draw, only, instead of revisiting their roots as an actual band and wearing all of their colours on their sleaves (equally) they decided to jump out of a hole in the stage dressed as clowns...(or was it monkeys?)

• Like 1

I still just find this the weirdest thing ever. Why Clocks? Such a seemingly easy song to sing. Chris is obviously singing live on other songs and many seem like vocally harder songs. Why fake the easiest one and do the hard ones for real? I almost wonder if there is some undisclosed health reason, if he is bored of it, or what. So strange.

I think this is a very reasonable thought.

I feel the same way as the person you quoted. I think they are, or at least were, very talented songwriters. And see that's the problem right there. In some newer songs I can still hear remains of their former genius, but it's just not hitting me like it used to. I don't know if many realize but Chris Martin is extremely lucky. He has little technical ability, wasn't raised in a musical family, but was born with the gift of songwriting, which pretty much rocketed him and his band to stardom. And now, it doesn't seem like he doesn't realize this because I'm not hearing any of his great songwriting talents shine through on any of the newer work. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy the new albums (not AHFOD much anymore though) and I have constantly tried to defend them from criticism from Oldplayers. But despite that, I still realize when bands aren't working to their full potential, and with Coldplay, that is what's happening now. And it makes me very upset.

• Like 4

I feel the same way as the person you quoted. I think they are, or at least were, very talented songwriters. And see that's the problem right there. In some newer songs I can still hear remains of their former genius, but it's just not hitting me like it used to. I don't know if many realize but Chris Martin is extremely lucky. He has little technical ability, wasn't raised in a musical family, but was born with the gift of songwriting, which pretty much rocketed him and his band to stardom. And now, it doesn't seem like he doesn't realize this because I'm not hearing any of his great songwriting talents shine through on any of the newer work. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy the new albums (not AHFOD much anymore though) and I have constantly tried to defend them from criticism from Oldplayers. But despite that, I still realize when bands aren't working to their full potential, and with Coldplay, that is what's happening now. And it makes me very upset.

i agree with a lot of what you've said. except i do think the whole band understands how lucky they are right now, more than ever. I do agree that the band is not up to their potential now. if you look at ahfod, it was mainly chris. let's be honest, of course it is the whole band that come together, but the driving force is chris. i think when chris had a chip on his shoulder, like he did when he was younger, they were extremely hungry! but now, they have matured and grown as people so much, they seem very content. i do believe that the restless souls brought up the best in coldplay than the happy souls we see today. amazing for them personally to reach such a happy place, but unfortunately, the output has been dropping in quality as this happened. also, the band seem to be centered around their kids. don't you get the feeling that they are writing for their kids, and by effect to their generation, more and more now? it sure looks like chris is using music as a way to bond with his kids. at least up until viva (possibly mx), the band was writing for their audience. but now i feel like they really are making what they want to make, forget how it looks to the people they once wanted to impress (like critics, peers).

about the technical abilities of the band, yeah, none of them are technically highly proficient. if i had to pick one thing about coldplay above other artists, that would be their melodies. but when the band is at it's finest, they come together gloriously. and that's the beauty of coldplay.

• Like 5