🏆 VOTE COLDPLAY AT THE MTV EMA'S 🏆
jossec

This is interesting.

Where can you find this? I also love the Austin City Limits performance.

It's on YouTube here, though I have better-sounding version from a different broadcast on my hard drive. I could upload it somewhere if you or anyone else is interested.

Here's an update for Up&Up. Between 23 June and 16 July, its lead vocals weren't always live. I kept track when it was and when it wasn't. They seem to have stopped it since 17 July, except for one weird instance which I'll detail later. Also, when I say the vocals were live, that excludes the "oh-oh-ohs" near the end, which usually aren't.

live = :wings:

not live = :whip:

:whip: Amsterdam 23 June:

:whip: Amsterdam 24 June:

:wings: Glastonbury 26 June:

:wings: Kensington Palace 28 June:

/ youtube

:whip: Berlin 29 June: youtube

:wings: Hamburg 1 July: youtube

:whip: Stockholm 3 July:

:wings: Copenhagen 5 July:

:wings: Copenhagen 6 July:

:whip: New Jersey 16 July:

:wings: New Jersey 17 July:

So for the concert of 20 August in LA, the live audience got live lead vocals on Up&Up, except for the "oh-oh-ohs" at the end (as usual).

The live stream however, had some funky stuff going on.

It started out with the taped vocals we know and love (see post above), even though the live vocals were still faintly audible. This is especially noticeable when Chris screws up the lyrics at how can people suffer ... break your heart. Then, on from yes I want to grow yes I want to feel, the stream transitions to the live track for a bit.

Then, during the bridge (and you can say what is, or fight for it ...) Chris appears to be confused what he's supposed to be singing at that moment. He picks up again at close your mind, but at that point the live track is has already been muted again, and the tape slowly fades in.

After the guitar solo, it's live again, until the oh-oh-ohs.

Weird, innit?

• Like 4

Please, not again... I don't even want to compare all these videos... :(

You don't have to; the lip synching in Up&Up seems to be mostly abandoned for now, as I said. I posted about it before, but hadn't yet posted a list of all the exact dates.

Recently, only the live stream of the 20th wasn't fully live, and I decided to post about it because I it was so weird, switching it up multiple times throughout the song. The people at the concert itself, though, did get to hear the live vocals as usual.

It's not my intention to spoil the fun for anyone, I hope it doesn't come across that way. I'm just interested in this sort of stuff (as the title of the thread implies), and I'm continuing to share my findings here because some others seem to be as well. Please don't let this get in the way of your enjoyment of the shows.

We just have to face the truth that Coldplay is willing to do this in order to keep the production quality of the show as high as possible, and to keep the tour going without Chris's voice falling apart in the long run.

• Like 4

Here's an update for Up&Up. Between 23 June and 16 July, its lead vocals weren't always live. I kept track when it was and when it wasn't. They seem to have stopped it since 17 July, except for one weird instance which I'll detail later. Also, when I say the vocals were live, that excludes the "oh-oh-ohs" near the end, which usually aren't.

live = :wings:

not live = :whip:

:whip: Amsterdam 23 June:

:whip: Amsterdam 24 June:

:wings: Glastonbury 26 June:

:wings: Kensington Palace 28 June:

/ youtube

:whip: Berlin 29 June: youtube

:wings: Hamburg 1 July: youtube

:whip: Stockholm 3 July:

:wings: Copenhagen 5 July:

:wings: Copenhagen 6 July:

:whip: New Jersey 16 July:

:wings: New Jersey 17 July:

Awww, it was not live at the first MetLife show ? Didn't realize it there.... :(

from what I have seen Especially in the last shows

I think that 90% of the vocals are live (If you leave the backing vocals)

and I follow a lot of bands nobody can save his voice after all thease concerts Nobody

Trust me on this one

• Like 3

It's on YouTube here, though I have better-sounding version from a different broadcast on my hard drive. I could upload it somewhere if you or anyone else is interested.

Could you please upload in the Live thread? Thanks, much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a bit strange that the lip-synced songs are songs that Chris sings while playing piano, rather than running around and dancing. You'd think his voice would be in better shape when he's not doing his antics...

Though Up&Up is the last song of the night, so I would understand giving him a break on that one.

• Like 2

It's a bit strange that the lip-synced songs are songs that Chris sings while playing piano, rather than running around and dancing. You'd think his voice would be in better shape when he's not doing his antics...

Though Up&Up is the last song of the night, so I would understand giving him a break on that one.

In my experience and knowledge of singing it can be harder to hit extreme ends of your range while sitting than standing. It's harder to sing in general sitting. Especially when playing a piano where you have to be kind of hunched over.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned that fact; I stopped reading through the whole thread because I realized I don't really want to know that much; he's obviously not doing it the bulk of the show (mess-ups, going slightly off-key, laughing, burping or stopping the song to talk make that obvious), and with music in general I'm kind of of the mindset to let myself keep my head in the sand. I also think a lot of bands playing shows so elaborate and reasonably long use some backing tracks or assistance here and there and it doesn't bother me ... for shows that big to some degree it crosses into theater, and to me that's just a reality. I do think whatever Coldplay is doing, they are trying to make the best show they can ... not doing it out of laziness or trying to rake in money for less effort or anything. Bit odd and sad they do it the whole of Clocks, which is one of my favorite old songs, but when I'm at a show I'm personally singing too loudly and badly to tell anyway so I guess I'll be fine.

• Like 9

I thought I’d found a way to prove this definitively. I sent a Freedom of Information request to the BBC, asking why Clocks was cut from the iPlayer version, but it was refused on a technicality, which I find very suspicious. I’m not sure if there is a similar provision to send a request to the Dutch TV station which has Glastonbury broadcast rights, asking why they cut it from their on demand service, but that could be another route.

I thought I’d found a way to prove this definitively. I sent a Freedom of Information request to the BBC, asking why Clocks was cut from the iPlayer version, but it was refused on a technicality, which I find very suspicious. I’m not sure if there is a similar provision to send a request to the Dutch TV station which has Glastonbury broadcast rights, asking why they cut it from their on demand service, but that could be another route.

Why prove it any further though, it's pretty clear to us and if P*tchf*rk ever find out it'll be a PR nightmare for the band (I'm kind of on the fence here because on the one hand people deserve to know the truth but on the other...)

Why prove it any further though, it's pretty clear to us and if P*tchf*rk ever find out it'll be a PR nightmare for the band (I'm kind of on the fence here because on the one hand people deserve to know the truth but on the other...)

It doesn’t bother me all that much, especially as Chris gives it everything each and every show and the band have been touring for pretty much 20 years with minimal breaks. It’s more that I’m in a state of denial over it, since his voice was so strong performing this song during the GS tour..

Some of the tour's official Screen Projections actually contain the rehearsal audio without crowd which I guess was recorded indoors and not on stage. I guess I could compare those with the live audio. If their phase matches and the vocals are canceled out then most possibly Chris pre-recorded some vocals for the tour as a worst case scenario. It's pretty common these days.

• Like 1

Yep, it's a lipsync. They seem to have pre-recorded the vocals during rehearsals and they just use the vocals from the rehearsal.

I've perfectly lined up the rehearsal audio with the live audio from Philadelphia and they match perfectly, you can even extract the vocals with a center channel extraction program.

Here's the audio, (right channel is the rehearsal without crowd, and the left channel is the live audio from Philadelphia:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/dys6qfihh18ds4i/Clocks.m4a

Hmmm yeah... I was pretty certain before but this definitely confirms it. Also it is really obvious during Glastonbury. There are some shots where his mouth isn't even near the mic and the vocals come through.

I was disappointed when I first heard about it, and to be honest I still am a bit, but I can understand why. His voice must be so tired from all the touring and everything else, he just needs a longer break during the set. But I would rather have them just not play Clocks if he can't/doesn't want to sing it anymore.

When I saw them live I enjoyed Clocks, but definitely not as much because I knew the vocals weren't live. Oh well, not really a huge deal but I sure hope it doesn't continue through the next era (it probably will).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Coldplaying mobile app

Some of the tour's official Screen Projections actually contain the rehearsal audio without crowd which I guess was recorded indoors and not on stage.

:eek: Where to get those rehearsal recordings? Care to share in exchange for some lossless instrumentals? ;)

If you watch any recorded version of the AHFOD shows, for example the MIA festival, Glasto, or the Chicago VR concert, and look at the time bar, you can see that Clocks falls exactly halfway through. Midnight, played as a filler immediately after Clocks, was clearly not being sung live, and it was just a lip sync of the vocoder parts being played back.Then you have the extended instrumental parts throughout. In the later AHFOD shows, when his voice became more fatigued, Chris started doing the ‘put your phones away’ thing at the start of Charlie Brown, immediately after that, so giving himself an extra vocal rest. I really don’t think, based on this theory, that it’s because he can’t sing Clocks anymore, since HFTW etc. are much more challenging, and it was because he could give himself a rest from the end of Everglow (Mohammed Ali video) to the start of the (restarted) Charlie Brown.

Well we know he did sing it live at Kensington Palace at least, so is not like he cannot do the song anymore. Pretty much agree with what was posted above, I just wish they could have done it in a different way.

I believe the sole reason he did it was only so he could take a "breath break" between tracks and the best he could do was to pre-record a vocal track for it.

There is one thing though that I have in my mind.

I know for a fact that there are a couple of artists that actually sing live and they think they do at the moment but without them knowing, the audio staff replaces their vocals with pre-recorded audio on post. Most of the times they sidechain their vocals so when they go weak the pre-recorded vocals kick in or they replace the vocals as a whole. I don't say it's likely, but I don't know I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that we may not see the whole picture here.

I’ve yet to see a normal AHFOD tour show with a 22+ full-length setlist with non-lip-synced Clocks. This had to be a pre-planned thing, especially given Clocks’ position in the setlist. The short promo/TV/charity shows they did on this tour are the only ones where Clocks had live lead vocals.

• Like 1

I have to admit some of their live tracks sound a bit too good to be true, like the performance of Adventure Of A Lifetime Spotify exclusive sounds a bit too near to the album vocals or atleast it sounds like it was tinkered/tuned post production, same with Ink live performances.

I believe the sole reason he did it was only so he could take a "breath break" between tracks and the best he could do was to pre-record a vocal track for it.

There is one thing though that I have in my mind.

I know for a fact that there are a couple of artists that actually sing live and they think they do at the moment but without them knowing, the audio staff replaces their vocals with pre-recorded audio on post. Most of the times they sidechain their vocals so when they go weak the pre-recorded vocals kick in or they replace the vocals as a whole. I don't say it's likely, but I don't know I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that we may not see the whole picture here.

Interesting to know that such a thing happens in the industry. Chris definitely knows though. A little while ago they let a fan play Clocks on the piano with the rest of the band during a rehearsal (which is quite cool in itself) and Chris asked explicitly for his vocal track to be activated.

The fan was blind, so Chris lip-synching while right next to her is quite the irony. She didn't know it was happening at all, apparently. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to link to her personal Facebook profile (links were deleted from ColdplayAtlas's Twitter page it seems) so I downloaded and re-uploaded the audio:

https://mega.nz/#!hqRlxBoI!RB4eKqJYohG3rksgl_uLPg4Y3_TUmosFdBSO0CFnPNE

I have to admit some of their live tracks sound a bit too good to be true, like the performance of Adventure Of A Lifetime Spotify exclusive sounds a bit too near to the album vocals or atleast it sounds like it was tinkered/tuned post production, same with Ink live performances.

Yes. Whenever they have the chance to do some post-production on the live tracks, they take the opportunity. From the same session, Will's backing vocals on Viva la Vida sound very weird.