Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

This is interesting.

It was my understanding that they play some background vocals (the end of Viva la Vida, the end of Fix You, etc), but Chris's vocals were always live. And this is the only instance I know where Chris's voice was not live.

I have in my entire Coldplaer-lifetime seen one (just one !!) video on Youtube were Coldplay in the early days of the Viva Era performed Viva La Vida along to the studio vocals.

^ to me, it sounds a bit too studio like for me to think its live. The Grammy performance of Viva la Vida comes to mind. I tried to find a good stream, but could not. But right at the end with the oohs, I really doubt the entire band are doing that.

So as a sample I listened to Paradise and Up&Up from Peru and from Mexico and I can say confidently that there is no lip-syncing on those two. This makes me think it truly is just Clocks. Why lip-sync one song and not the rest? I mean I don't want Chris to but why choose just that one? Maybe because Clocks is in the dead center of the set so maybe it's just a way for Chris to get a break. It's just so odd to me though. Why not play life in technicolor for gods sake and just take a break during an instrumental.

It was my understanding that they play some background vocals (the end of Viva la Vida, the end of Fix You, etc), but Chris's vocals were always live. And this is the only instance I know where Chris's voice was not live.

Oh no, I'd say at least 50-60% of every live set from Viva onwards has had vocal playback incorporated into the mix.

^ to me, it sounds a bit too studio like for me to think its live. The Grammy performance of Viva la Vida comes to mind. I tried to find a good stream, but could not. But right at the end with the oohs, I really doubt the entire band are doing that.

By backing vocals, d'you mean 'choir on tape' by any chance...?

So as a sample I listened to Paradise and Up&Up from Peru and from Mexico and I can say confidently that there is no lip-syncing on those two. This makes me think it truly is just Clocks. Why lip-sync one song and not the rest? I mean I don't want Chris to but why choose just that one? Maybe because Clocks is in the dead center of the set so maybe it's just a way for Chris to get a break. It's just so odd to me though. Why not play life in technicolor for gods sake and just take a break during an instrumental.

There's no lip syncing, but there's multi-layered backing vocals on both tracks (incl. a choir on Up&Up, which makes the track seem all the more glaring when played live).

I'm not sure what to think about it. All I know is fans don't pay attention to it because all you want to do is enjoy the show. The energy you get in a live concert is indescribable and you forget anything that happens around you because you are so involved in the show which is thanks to the band and the audience. Fans singing along makes you sing louder what doesn't allow you to hear what they are playing in the sense that if they make a mistake you hardly notice it unless Chris points it out. I've heard some recordings and I've noticed Chris doesn't have a good voice in some songs, but during the show I didn't hear it. If they do lip sync I don't care because it doesn't interfere in the energy they transmitted to the audience.

• Like 2

Anyway, I tried to play Viva and AOAL from two different shows and they seems very similar too...

EDIT: Now I'm thinking that maybe Politik has been move out from the setlist because Chris had some vocal issues with singing it

• Like 3

Anyway, I tried to play Viva and AOAL from two different shows and they seems very similar too...

In these two clips you can hear a pretty clear difference in the first line already, for instance he sings a different note on 'world'. So Viva still has live lead vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=A5byoOuBz2E;t=21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=M2A7W6f3G6E;t=27

i'm still baffled by the random, only one song thing that seems to be going on here. like i said before, you can see a lot of ad lib and audience interaction from chris in other songs. pretty clearly live.

As @Lukestar1991 pointed out, I think it's not a surprise that they've had backing tracks as props for a long time now. For example, they have used Beyoncé's voice in Hymn for the Weekend, etc. From there it's not too much of a leap to go ahead and do a whole song with backing vocals if a circumstance calls for it. I don't blame him for this because I'd rather he preserve his voice for years to come rather than strain it beyond repair. These days he has been doing a show every other day. Imagine having a boxing match every other day as an example. I'm sure he knows what he needs to do to continue putting on amazing shows.

• Like 1

But if he wants to preserve his voice why not just do an instrumental track? It took me a while to accept the backing track on almost every song but the lipsyncing just gives me a bad vibe. It's fake and I don't like it.

And this is just the start of the tour. The European leg is twice as big and there's no big break before the US. leg.

• Like 3

But if he wants to preserve his voice with not just do an instrumental track? It took me a while to accept the backing track on almost every song but the lipsyncing just gives me a bad vibe. It's fake and I don't like it.

And this is just the start of the tour. The European leg is twice as big and there's no big break before the US. leg.

Same. Hate to sound like some barmy old musical luddite, but perhaps they should spend more time focusing on playing as an actual band than having Chris jump about like an orangutan on acid. Just a thought.

• Like 5

Same. Hate to sound like some barmy old musical luddite, but perhaps they should spend more time focusing on playing as an actual band than having Chris jump about like an orangutan on acid. Just a thought.

To be totally fair though, they've done a really serious job of self-reinventing musically on the B and C stages. So far we've gotten stripped down/no-backing track request songs (+bonus songs like See You Soon), remixes/reworks (new arrangements of GPASUYF, UATW), and fun random things like Ink with a cajon. This shows that despite their high-production value / heavy-backing-track majority of the show, they still have a big connection with the "playing as an actual band" part of things. Do I wish they would do 80% of the show that way instead of just 20%? Yes, but it's something that this tour deserves credit for.

• Like 6

I don't condemn the use of backing tracks. I'd rather see the four on stage with a backing track than an army of nameless people standing in the background on guitar, violin or whatever like some touring bands too. But lip-syncing an entire song is entirely different from that . As I said before, I feel a coldplay have crossed a line with this that I thought they would never cross. feeling disappointed.

• Like 4

I don't condemn the use of backing tracks. I'd rather see the four on stage with a backing track than an army of nameless people standing in the background on guitar, violin or whatever like some touring bands too. But lip-syncing an entire song is entirely different from that . As I said before, I feel a coldplay have crossed a line with this that I thought they would never cross. feeling disappointed.

These are pretty much my thoughts as well.

I have no problem with them using backing tracks sparingly, when the need arises. In the 90's it was common for bands to have an entire orchestral outfit in the background filling up all the elements (Oasis is the one that comes to mind) that was really tacky and unnecessary. I think strategic use of backing tracks really adds to the live experience, one example would be the ambient noise on Violet Hill as it really helps cement the atmosphere and make it sound closer to the record. No one with any experience in music would criticize the use of backing elements once it's done as an aid, not a crutch. Ad-libbing an entire song is something else entirely and people shouldn't wrongly conflate the two.

• Like 2

Well this is kind of a let down. I'm not sure I'm entirely convinced, but man those video sound awfully similar all the way through. I'd like to think it's because of the repetition of singing the song hundreds of times over a decade, but other songs have subtle differences. Not quite sure what to think here.

To be totally fair though, they've done a really serious job of self-reinventing musically on the B and C stages. So far we've gotten stripped down/no-backing track request songs (+bonus songs like See You Soon), remixes/reworks (new arrangements of GPASUYF, UATW), and fun random things like Ink with a cajon. This shows that despite their high-production value / heavy-backing-track majority of the show, they still have a big connection with the "playing as an actual band" part of things. Do I wish they would do 80% of the show that way instead of just 20%? Yes, but it's something that this tour deserves credit for.

True, but to have songs like AROBTTH played as a novelty and without the respect they deserve seems a bit out of place. Also, when I first heard the piano part for Amazing Day (excl. its first airing, which I took as a something of a 'live' rehearsal) I was looking forward to seeing it all come together in a genuinely live setting. To have Chris just standing there hugging the mike with piano (probably the most prominent instrument in the mix) pulsing through the speakers is a bit much I think. I of course agree that instrumental playback is great when it adds vital embellishment to a track (Square One, In My Place, Clocks, Politik and Paradise et al are all good examples of this). Unfortunately, the way things are going at the moment I feel it's beginning to undermine the musicianship somewhat.

• Like 4

I think it's mostly because he wants to preserve his voice as it's going to be a looong tour..

remember if you watch the Tokyo Live 2009; during Viva La Vida you can hear Chris singing over his own voice played in playback during the chorus .... so they've been doing this for a while...

• Like 1

I think it's mostly because he wants to preserve his voice as it's going to be a looong tour..

remember if you watch the Tokyo Live 2009; during Viva La Vida you can hear Chris singing over his own voice played in playback during the chorus .... so they've been doing this for a while...

I know what you mean, but they never did Chris' voice playback in a full song

Check out the Tidal performance of Clocks. It seems very similar to the playback one of this tour maybe they choose that for lip sync

Sent from my SM-G903F using Coldplaying mobile app

That's a good one cause they also have used the Tidal performance sounds of the instruments at XFactor in Italy.

But unfortunately, you're wrong.

I can proof why, you'll hear that Chris' voice in this performance reaches a little higher note for just a moment which you can not hear in the Tidal performance.

skip to 2:16

Again skip to 2:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccSrz_TQn0g

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/ccSrz_TQn0g?list=PLPTwwcJuc1U0rlE2s-MST1h7MjCJpzWjc

EDIT: Just noticed in Tidal performance, he doesn't sing ''home, home, where I wanted to go...'' which can be heard in performances of these days. So, sorry @MickCas !

• Like 1